British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

Pistolpete2 Jun 10th 2011 3:30 pm

Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9424273)
I think, since this is the 50s and 60s thread, and since new people find the site all the time, there are always going to be questions asked about pensions. If it gets annoying, just skip them :)

I take your point and will in future stop before it gets tiresome and direct them to the new thread I opened under MBTTUK - UK Pensions and Retirement Planning. All the answers are right there and as I mentioned some time before the directgov website is very well maintained so often it has been updated for info that some of us (assistants) might not have been aware of so better to go to the horse.

jasper123 Jun 10th 2011 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9422032)
:fingerscrossed: Good luck to Mrs Cheers with the surgery today.

Yes I second that from MITF good luck to Mrs Cheers with the Operation

jasper123 Jun 10th 2011 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9422177)
This made my heart glad. I am so happy for you and for your son. :thumbup: He sounds like a fine young man.

Sally thank you, and yes he is a fine young man, he works so hard to make enough to pay for his mortgage and bills, he has a full time Job and two part time Jobs,

jasper123 Jun 10th 2011 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by aries (Post 9423307)
This Heathrow Travel Care information worries me, have any of our returning members experienced problems accessing NHS care?

http://www.heathrowtravelcare.co.uk/...k-from-abroad/

Nope not me as soon as I arrived I registered with a Doctor and Ive been back over 6 months now and I have had excellent care, My Doctor got me an appointment with a Dermatologist the very next day it was amazing.

cheers Jun 10th 2011 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9424354)
Yes I second that from MITF good luck to Mrs Cheers with the Operation

Thank you both. DW is walking around and saying she can't believe the difference in her sight. Unfortunately for me she now sees the weeds in the garden which is not good for the one who has to get out there and start picking them up.
The operation only takes about 10 minutes, in fact she was waiting for them to start and they told they had finished already.

jasper123 Jun 10th 2011 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9424432)
Thank you both. DW is walking around and saying she can't believe the difference in her sight. Unfortunately for me she now sees the weeds in the garden which is not good for the one who has to get out there and start picking them up.
The operation only takes about 10 minutes, in fact she was waiting for them to start and they told they had finished already.

Good news on the eye operation, so pleased that it went well, Cheers you didn't tell me why your medicare or your wifes medicare didn't pay for the eye drop prescription, didn't they cover it cause it was too expensive?

cheers Jun 10th 2011 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9424467)
Good news on the eye operation, so pleased that it went well, Cheers you didn't tell me why your medicare or your wifes medicare didn't pay for the eye drop prescription, didn't they cover it cause it was too expensive?

Sorry about that.

I don't think that prescriptions are covered under Medicare, however, we have a private supplementary prescription insurance, which we have to pay for separately, to cover prescriptions but they only cover a certain amount. Sort of like the pea under the shell game.
To refresh your memory. When you get your Social Security they take out of it Medicare insurance (part A or Part B) to cover hospital stays or doctors visits.
Example, your doctor or hospital charges medicare $1000 but medicare only allows say $800. Medicare pays I think 80% of the $800 so that would leave 20% for me to pay, $160. I then have a supplemental insurance through AARP and they pick up the remaining $160.
This is the same way with prescriptions. I have insurance for prescriptions and I pay $39 per month but as I said they only cover so much and I have to pay out of pocket what the insurance doesn't pay. My DW also pays the same amount each month and we had to pay $110 for the eye drops that the insurance didn't cover. They paid part but not all of the cost, I hope that is clear. I hate to think how much the drugs/drops would cost without the insurance.
Supposedly if I moved back home to England I wouldn't have to pay for all this insurance and deductibles, that is until they become more modern in the UK and Americanize the British National Health System.:( Sarcasm
intended!
Rodney you may check to see if they are are deducting from your Social Security for Medicare insurance. If they are you can cancel it and get more money on your check.

jasper123 Jun 10th 2011 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9424617)
Sorry about that.

I don't think that prescriptions are covered under Medicare, however, we have a private supplementary prescription insurance, which we have to pay for separately, to cover prescriptions but they only cover a certain amount. Sort of like the pea under the shell game.
To refresh your memory. When you get your Social Security they take out of it Medicare insurance (part A or Part B) to cover hospital stays or doctors visits.
Example, your doctor or hospital charges medicare $1000 but medicare only allows say $800. Medicare pays I think 80% of the $800 so that would leave 20% for me to pay, $160. I then have a supplemental insurance through AARP and they pick up the remaining $160.
This is the same way with prescriptions. I have insurance for prescriptions and I pay $39 per month but as I said they only cover so much and I have to pay out of pocket what the insurance doesn't pay. My DW also pays the same amount each month and we had to pay $110 for the eye drops that the insurance didn't cover. They paid part but not all of the cost, I hope that is clear. I hate to think how much the drugs/drops would cost without the insurance.
Supposedly if I moved back home to England I wouldn't have to pay for all this insurance and deductibles, that is until they become more modern in the UK and Americanize the British National Health System.:( Sarcasm
intended!
Rodney you may check to see if they are are deducting from your Social Security for Medicare insurance. If they are you can cancel it and get more money on your check.

Cheers thanks for explaining --- yes thats what I meant the prescription supplement that you pay with Medicare,
5 months before I left the U.S. I turned 65 and so when S.S. sent me the papers to enrol in Medicare I phoned them up to tell them that I was moving to England so I do not need to pay for medicare, and they told me to Just send the card back and check the box that says hospital coverage only, they explained that part is free, and so I did and they sent me my medicare card which says clearly on there hospital only, ---- so to answer your question I get no deduction for medicare from my social security benefits.

Yes of course your right cheers those drops would have cost you nothing over here under the NHS,

aries Jun 12th 2011 1:17 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9424426)
Nope not me as soon as I arrived I registered with a Doctor and Ive been back over 6 months now and I have had excellent care, My Doctor got me an appointment with a Dermatologist the very next day it was amazing.

I suppose it depends on circumstances. I would imagine that a lot of people pretend to be returning for long term residency, solely to receive free medical treatment.

sallysimmons Jun 12th 2011 1:39 am

Originally Posted by aries (Post 9426721)
I suppose it depends on circumstances. I would imagine that a lot of people pretend to be returning for long term residency, solely to receive free medical treatment.

Or at least so the Daily Mail would have us believe :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

Celticspirit Jun 12th 2011 1:54 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9424215)
Gabgoeshome....I wlll add you to the list sorry. I am going to wait a couple of days and see if anyone else has been missed off.:o

Me too......

trottytrue Jun 12th 2011 3:40 am

Celticspirit....Will do.

aries Jun 12th 2011 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9426750)

For some it is the Daily Grail :D

jasper123 Jun 14th 2011 11:22 am

Very very good Sally, I really enjoyed that video --- I will watch there other vids later when I got time, its all nicely saved for now,

Mummy in the foothills Jun 14th 2011 3:33 pm

Nice one :thumbsup: