British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

Pollyana Apr 5th 2011 4:51 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9286906)
Lewes is nice. My Mum lives in Eastbourne and despite its reputation as boring I really like it there and surrounding areas.

Lewes is a lovely little town, still has a real community feel to it, but as PistolPete says, beware of the flood zones - the floods back in 2000 were horrendous there. The other place often hit by flooding is Uckfield, so again, check the plans carefully if looking around there. Beautiful part of Sussex though.
Brighton is a great city, but not to everyone's taste - its very cosmopolitan and has a very transient community; the huge student population gives it a lot of life, but also means that there aren't many real community areas left now because people move around so much. There are some "family areas" left though - Patcham, Hollingbury, Westdean to name but three, still have a community feel to them. If/when I ever move back Brighton's high on my list.
One big bonus of Brighton/Hove is the transport system - buses and trains criss-cross both of them and there's really no need to drive at all.

Pistolpete2 Apr 5th 2011 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9287125)
Lewes is a lovely little town, still has a real community feel to it, but as PistolPete says, beware of the flood zones - the floods back in 2000 were horrendous there. The other place often hit by flooding is Uckfield, so again, check the plans carefully if looking around there. Beautiful part of Sussex though.
Brighton is a great city, but not to everyone's taste - its very cosmopolitan and has a very transient community; the huge student population gives it a lot of life, but also means that there aren't many real community areas left now because people move around so much. There are some "family areas" left though - Patcham, Hollingbury, Westdean to name but three, still have a community feel to them. If/when I ever move back Brighton's high on my list.
One big bonus of Brighton/Hove is the transport system - buses and trains criss-cross both of them and there's really no need to drive at all.

I was just wondering whether it is possible to lift a map of UK or English flood zones off the internet. It's not just river flooding that is an issue such as also at Tewkesbury (River Severn) and Yalding on the Medway, but there is a need for coastal defences due to the rise in sea level at places such as South Undercliff - Rye.

yep here goes:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...ods/31650.aspx

bandrui Apr 5th 2011 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9286695)
For anyone seeking a better way of life, have a look at this video which embraces the philosophy of Transition Towns. These are towns worldwide where the citizens are actively making positive changes in their lives, and working together as a community, much as people did in WWII days, to combat the effects of Peak Oil and expensive oil based living standards.

http://vimeo.com/8029815

Transition Towns: http://www.transitionnetwork.org/

Yes. Where I live (Salt Spring Island) is a Transition Town. I did go to a few meetings but found it a bit bogged down in bureaucracy, which I am allergic to :rofl:.

bandrui Apr 5th 2011 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9286403)
Why are we up at this hour. Are we thinking of packing?

Oh-oh. Busted! I'm a wee bit of a night owl. For some reason I always feel a bit guilty about it because it seems as though the rest of the world is on a different schedule :lol:. Story of my life... ha ha.

bandrui Apr 5th 2011 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9286814)
Hi bandrui,

Lewes has been on my list for consideration for the longest while. I don't really fancy Brighton as it is too built-up for my taste but I would like the easy access and Lewes offers that. They are some good places to eat and a celebrated grocer, Bills Produce Store http://www.bills-website.co.uk/, Harvey's brewery* is an important feature, the surrounding countryside is lovely and the sea is close at hand. Good access to London. Seems to have a nice range of property.

*Harvey's Bitter is my favourite beer bar none.

It occurs to me that there are areas around Lewes which have been prone to flooding and you would need to check where these are.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009...es?INTCMP=SRCH

I read the link and it sounds like me to a T! Must check out property. I was encouraged by the reference to price drops - 22% in 2009! The property I checked on my Lewes link though was highly-priced. I like the accessibility of the town as you mentioned. The quotes from your link "... and a market day mobbed by Miss Marple clones. Don't you believe it. This place is positively Bolshevik." had me cheering for the place :lol:. Do you think they have cider? My bevvy of preference.

On a completely different tack, I was remembering places I had explored and really liked and researched them also: Bishop's Castle, Shropshire and several places in Herefordshire. Beautiful border country.

The flooding question has been quite present in my mind too. I wondered about places on the Dorset Coast and this is a question that needs consideration.

Pistolpete2 Apr 5th 2011 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9287229)
Do you think they have cider? My bevvy of preference.

When I lived in the Uk we used to go to a farm down near Battle in Sussex for their own concoction. There are plenty of apple orchards around there so I would suspect you can still get local cider. Mine was from Punch Bowl Farm.

The flooding question has been quite present in my mind too. I wondered about places on the Dorset Coast and this is a question that needs consideration.
See my later post ref Flooding info. The area near Chesil Bank might indeed have flooding issues. Also Romney Marsh and Dungeness for Bolsheviks like you.

bandrui Apr 5th 2011 6:20 pm

A link to maps and reports by region of the effects of climate change in the UK. Short term effects seem to be warmer, drier summers and wetter winters.

http://www.ukcip.org.uk/uk-impacts/uk-maps/

Pollyana Apr 5th 2011 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9287243)
When I lived in the Uk we used to go to a farm down near Battle in Sussex for their own concoction. There are plenty of apple orchards around there so I would suspect you can still get local cider. Mine was from Punch Bowl Farm.

See my later post ref Flooding info. The area near Chesil Bank might indeed have flooding issues. Also Romney Marsh and Dungeness for Bolsheviks like you.

There's a fantastic farm shop just outside of Lewes - towards Eastbourne, on the A27. Called Middle Farm, does amazing food, and has approx 100 types of cider on sale as well, from all over the UK as well as local ones.....with free tasting :thumbup:

cheers Apr 5th 2011 7:08 pm

[QUOTE=Pollyana;9287358]Called Middle Farm, does amazing food,

Real hip talk.:)

Pistolpete2 Apr 5th 2011 7:10 pm

[QUOTE=cheers;9287362]

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9287358)
Called Middle Farm, does amazing food,

Real hip talk.:)

We need to get used to using the word BRILLIANT is we are to blend in upon our return. :)

Pistolpete2 Apr 5th 2011 7:13 pm

There's a fantastic farm shop just outside of Lewes - towards Eastbourne, on the A27. Called Middle Farm, does amazing food, and has approx 100 types of cider on sale as well, from all over the UK as well as local ones.....with free tasting :thumbup:

As I recall, though my memory goes foggy after drinking strong country cider, it doesn't take much to get there on that stuff ;) free tasting - look out!

I see the Middle Farm website. Thanks!

Sally Redux Apr 5th 2011 7:35 pm

Love that place - wonderful - and they have a guinea pig town as well :thumbup:

Charleston (the former home of Duncan Grant and Vanessa Bell) is really interesting too.

windsong Apr 5th 2011 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9287193)
Yes. Where I live (Salt Spring Island) is a Transition Town. I did go to a few meetings but found it a bit bogged down in bureaucracy, which I am allergic to :rofl:.

Yes, bureaucracy and I do not see eye to eye at all!

windsong Apr 5th 2011 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9287203)
Oh-oh. Busted! I'm a wee bit of a night owl. For some reason I always feel a bit guilty about it because it seems as though the rest of the world is on a different schedule :lol:. Story of my life... ha ha.

I am, too, and I love it! I wouldn't change that for anything. In the early hours of the morning, it's just me and the trees, the animals that come out at night (I open the French doors to be "one with the night"), the silence, the peace, the memories, the thoughts. My very best works (poetry and promotional videos) have been created between midnight and 3 am. At other times, there is too much "busy-ness", too much chaos, too much noise, too many people . . .

windsong Apr 5th 2011 8:12 pm

Time for a laugh :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=MZ35SOU9HTM