British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

jasper123 Jan 8th 2011 9:19 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Hello Trotty,barb,DDL, cheers, fish, rosie, Ed, denise, Don, Jackie, and everyone else I havent mentioned, sooooo many,
Well I got really tired of walking to the library every day so I have finally bought my laptop, ---- HP 17.6 inch screen, lovely, £430, I bought it before the VAT went up, but it took 8 days for BT to send my modem/ router so I could set it up, well now Im up & running, this is better, typing to you all from my nice cosy home, Mums fast asleep in her recliner bless her heart, she always falls asleep a lot watching TV, but we are getting along great,
we had sausages mash & peas with lovely crusty bread,
It feels really good posting to all my friends again, I have missed you all a lot,
Jackie so you are the next to leave the nest Huh? 25th of January, is that still on? when it gets warmer in Spring or Summer then we must meet and hbave a nice beer in a Pub,
So far I have registered with my Doctor, seen him twice each time got a large bag of free prescription drugs for my eeczema had my free double flu and swine flu shot, also seeing a free councilor at the Docs office to help me quit smoking, CHAMPIX is what Im taking, got to take the pills for 3 months, there really helping too, this is my 20th day of the treatment and I havent smoked since December 31st, --- new year rresolutionHuh :D
I opened a bank account at Lloyds, Im getting a small UK pension based on the 10 years that I worked in UK,
10 days ago I applied for my free senior Bus pass, and I got it in the mail today :) now I can do a bit of buss traveling around town, and I can even take a free bus to Brighten 50 miles away,
Not interested in getting a UK licence, I dont feel at all comfortable on these crazy roads even when my 91 year old Mum is driving me about,
Well thats enough for now, ggettingready to get me and Mum a nice cup of cchocolatehorlicks and a couple of choc digestive bbiscuitstoo --- love em!!!!
Take car ya all, I will post again soon,
Rodney.

Beedubya Jan 8th 2011 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9087109)
I now have my Windows laptop running :) I love my Mac but I want to use this expat shield. Do you have to go sniffing around for a UK IP or does it automatically give you one?

A little shield icon sits in your toolbar, when you want to go "on" you right click on it and select connect, then it automatically does it for you and the little icon turns green. Then you can go to ITV player (and watch Corrie :lol:) or any number of TV shows, BBC player and watch all their great stuff and anything else that is available for free in the UK.

windsong Jan 8th 2011 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9087118)
Really interesting, thank you. Mind you one of the other posters did seem a little familiar. :lol:

I wonder who that could be? ;)

DDL Jan 8th 2011 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9084829)
I have been driving in the US for 30 years, but I have to say I am worried about driving in England on the wrong side of the road..lol

The driving on the left isn't the issue for me - it's the narrow streets and having to squeeze by all the parked cars on both sides of the street. The other thing I just can't get used to feeling comfortable with is the steering wheel on the right-hand side of the car.

ldyinlv Jan 8th 2011 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9087120)
Hello Trotty,barb,DDL, cheers, fish, rosie, Ed, denise, Don, Jackie, and everyone else I havent mentioned, sooooo many,
Well I got really tired of walking to the library every day so I have finally bought my laptop, ---- HP 17.6 inch screen, lovely, £430, I bought it before the VAT went up, but it took 8 days for BT to send my modem/ router so I could set it up, well now Im up & running, this is better, typing to you all from my nice cosy home, Mums fast asleep in her recliner bless her heart, she always falls asleep a lot watching TV, but we are getting along great,
we had ssausagesmash & peas with lovely crusty bread,
It feels really good posting to all my friends again, I have missed you all a lot,
Jackie so you are the next to leave the nest Huh? 25th of January, is that still on? when it gets warmer in Spring or Summer then we must meet and hbave a nice beer in a Pub,
So far I have registered with my Doctor, seen him twice each time got a large bag of free prescription drugs for my eeczema had my free double flu and swine flu shot, also seeing a free ccouncilorat the Docs office to help me quit smoking, CHAMPIX is what Im taking, got to take the pills for 3 months, there really helping too, this is my 20th day of the treatment and I havent smoked since December 31st, --- new year rresolutionHuh :D
I opened a bank account at Lloyds, Im getting a small UK pension based on the 10 years that I worked in UK,
10 days ago I applied for my free senior Bus pass, and I got it in the mail today :) now I can do a bit of buss traveling around town, and I can even take a free bus to Brighten 50 miles away,
Not interested in getting a UK licence, I dont feel at all comfortable on these crazy roads even when my 91 year old Mum is driving me about,
Well thats enough for now, ggettingready to get me and Mum a nice cup of cchocolatehorlicks and a couple of choc digestive bbiscuitstoo --- love em!!!!
Rodney.

Rodney,
I am so happy to hear from you, yes I am next, and nothing is going to stop me, at least I hope not..:) I am so glad you are enjoying being home, and like you I am very nervous about the whole driving thing over there.:) Congrats on the smoking thing..I smoked for 39 years, and quit 3 and a half years ago, so I know you can do it too..:) Yes, when it gets warmer and I have got myself sorted we should finally meet. It is ironic that we lived about 2 miles from each other and didnt manage it..just bad timeing unfortunately..
I look forward to hearing more from you....take care.
Jackie.:)

windsong Jan 8th 2011 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9087121)
A little shield icon sits in your toolbar, when you want to go "on" you right click on it and select connect, then it automatically does it for you and the little icon turns green. Then you can go to ITV player (and watch Corrie :lol:) or any number of TV shows, BBC player and watch all their great stuff and anything else that is available for free in the UK.

Wonderful! The other ones I downloaded to try on my Mac did not automatically pick up a UK IP address and I had to go looking for one. Even when I managed to find one there was no easy way to tell it that is what you wanted to use :(

cheers Jan 8th 2011 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9087127)
The driving on the left isn't the issue for me - it's the narrow streets and having to squeeze by all the parked cars on both sides of the street. The other thing I just can't get used to feeling comfortable with is the steering wheel on the right-hand side of the car.

Its true, I think;), there is a car with the steering wheel in the middle.

Beedubya Jan 8th 2011 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9087131)
Wonderful! The other ones I downloaded to try on my Mac did not automatically pick up a UK IP address and I had to go looking for one. Even when I managed to find one there was no easy way to tell it that is what you wanted to use :(

You can watch Corrie within a few hours of it being broadcast in the UK!!! :thumbsup:

islandwoman120 Jan 8th 2011 9:31 pm

Welcome back to the internet, Rodney! You have been sorely missed. Rosie

windsong Jan 8th 2011 9:31 pm

Fifteen years ago when I visited my father in England, I managed to make this switch (driving on the other side of the road) with no problem and I drove throughout the UK - England to Scotland and all through the small towns. I was driving an automatic at the time. For me, the key was to NEVER think about driving in the U.S. while you are on the road driving in the UK. Forget about it completely because that is where the confusion arises.

ldyinlv Jan 8th 2011 9:32 pm

I agree, sometimes I dont know how my Dad missed some of the cars parked about..and in small Villages the roads are really narrow, and there are cars parked everywhere....yikes!!!

Beedubya Jan 8th 2011 9:32 pm

So far I have registered with my Doctor, seen him twice each time got a large bag of free prescription drugs for my eeczema had my free double flu and swine flu shot, also seeing a free councilor at the Docs office to help me quit smoking, CHAMPIX is what Im taking, got to take the pills for 3 months, there really helping too, this is my 20th day of the treatment and I havent smoked since December 31st, --- new year rresolutionHuh :D
Rodney.

Great to hear from you Rodney. Now we want to hear about any adventures you have had. Have you been out and about much despite the bad weather? Are you finding anything difficult to deal with? What do you miss about the USA? How is your sister doing?

Barb

windsong Jan 8th 2011 9:32 pm

Rodney.

Hi Rodney - Glad to hear from you. It seems you are settling in nicely. I am wondering if there is ever anything from the U.S. that you are beginning to miss.

Beedubya Jan 8th 2011 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9087139)
I agree, sometimes I dont know how my Dad missed some of the cars parked about..and in small Villages the roads are really narrow, and there are cars parked everywhere....yikes!!!

Although I didn't drive myself I was a passenger many times with both my sisters when they were driving and I found the other drivers over there to be MUCH more polite than here in Australia. In the little villages they will just stop and let the other driver in then wave in politeness as a thank you. Not just in small villages but in situations where you are trying to get into another lane, etc.

Not like here in Australia where it is invariably every man for himself. :sneaky:

cheers Jan 8th 2011 9:36 pm

Rodney you made my day.
I was in LV on Tuesday and thought of you.
Your posting made me envious. Food and Horlicks.
Congratulations on quitting smoking. Keep up the good work.
Cheers