Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old May 6th 2011, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Thanks guys - yes I remember those combined washer/dryers from when we had a house in the UK. I gave mine to my mum when we left and she used it for years. The holiday cottage we stayed in last year had one and it worked pretty well.

The only thing was that the clothes still needed ironing when they came out and that's one task I absolutely hate
I was thinking the same thing. I remember how my mother, and then I, used to iron everything... towels, sheets, everything... until I left England and found tumble dryers. Now I suppose I will have to go back to the ironing. I must say the results are much nicer though.
Old May 6th 2011, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I looked at the prices of food mixers and food processors a while ago. I was horrified!!! I'd love to take my Kitchen Aid and Cuisinart but they won't work over there. I could use a transformer but who wants one of those in the kitchen - plus the cost to take them. They are very heavy.
I hate the thought of giving up my cuisinart. I'll have to get another there. Only that brand too.
Old May 6th 2011, 2:43 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I was thinking the same thing. I remember how my mother, and then I, used to iron everything... towels, sheets, everything... until I left England and found tumble dryers. Now I suppose I will have to go back to the ironing. I must say the results are much nicer though.
I agree I love sheets that have been ironed, but not a cat in hells chance I'll start doing it
I used to make fun of my UK friend she ironed everything, even knickers But if the stuff is slightly damp it's good to give them some heat.
Old May 6th 2011, 2:48 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Is it a studio flat?
It's a studio flat (bedsit) converted to a 1 bed flat......
Old May 6th 2011, 2:49 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
You are right about hanging washing out in the summer, sometimes the heat and burning sun is overwhelming, plus there is the dazzle from anything white. And of course Australia's infamous ants around my feet, though in very hot weather they have more sense and hide underground. I don't suppose I will have these problems back in England.

Old May 6th 2011, 2:50 am
Home Sweet Home

I haven't hung anything outside since leaving England and I've never seen anyone else do it either. What would I hang stuff on? There are no clothes lines here.

I wouldn't mind doing it back home, but if I let my husband know he might have to do that, he will flip out. I may keep this as our little secret for now

Old May 6th 2011, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
Actually, Mummy, those don't look bad at all. KitchenAid and Cuisinart have such a good reputation in the USA but I am sure a big chunk of it is marketing. The other brands here don't compare. I am sure I will find something comparable in the UK without paying an arm and a leg (again).
Cuisinart food processors are fantastic. Nothing like the competition in my experience. I checked online for UK and the best price is Pricegrabber.co.uk at £199.99. This is a not a food mixer but a food processor:

http://www.cuisinart.co.uk/products-...oductGroupID=1

Pretty expensive.
Old May 6th 2011, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Pretty close, 100 metres is 109 yards. I'm in lbs and oz too it's going to be a hard change.
A yard is 36". A metre 39" and a bit. We are metric here in Canada so that at least will be an easy transition.
Old May 6th 2011, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Yikes thats expensive. It's the same on the West coast. I refuse to pay so unless I'm going to Ikea where they are cheaper and come with the matching pillow cases I have resorted to making my own.
One queen sheet set and one extra matching queen flat sheet. I sew the two flats together, and use the fitted sheet and pillow cases. It works great.
That's what I do too!
Old May 6th 2011, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't hung anything outside since leaving England and I've never seen anyone else do it either. What would I hang stuff on? There are no clothes lines here.

I wouldn't mind doing it back home, but if I let my husband know he might have to do that, he will flip out. I may keep this as our little secret for now
We put up a clothes line in our Pennslyvania garden, and also used a portable clothes rack (the kind one uses in England) on the patio. They have them in Target.

But I know you live in an upscale place just outside NYC Sally, maybe they frown on clothes festooning the yard there--which is a shame! what could be more green and energy conscious?!

Tina
Old May 6th 2011, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

It seems a great number of people do hang their clothes outside or on a rack inside if there is rain in the forecast. We have a drier but have been hanging clothes outside. Dryers I believe use quite a lot of energy. Just about all washing machines here now do not have a hot water intake and heat water from cold. Just found the following article which verifies this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...-machines.html
Old May 6th 2011, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=bandrui;9346332]I hate the thought of giving up my cuisinart. I'll have to get another there. Only that brand too.[/QUOTE

We are shipping our large Kitchen Aid mixer and getting a step up Transformer. As Windsong stated the transformers are rather large but we are thinking of having the outlet inside a cupboard. As shipments were measured in cubic feet rather than weight it made sense to ship it rather than pay the hefty price for one here.
Old May 6th 2011, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Beedubya;9345944]Wimlslow Rodders where apparently the champagne flows..........[/QUOTE

Wow ...you really in Wimlslow.............thats where all the footballers and WAGS live....right
Old May 6th 2011, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighTide
It seems a great number of people do hang their clothes outside or on a rack inside if there is rain in the forecast. We have a drier but have been hanging clothes outside. Dryers I believe use quite a lot of energy. Just about all washing machines here now do not have a hot water intake and heat water from cold. Just found the following article which verifies this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...-machines.html
That's insane. I can hardly believe it! Second-hand hot fill models are probably going to be worth a fortune.
Old May 6th 2011, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bandrui
I hate the thought of giving up my cuisinart. I'll have to get another there. Only that brand too.
I don't think mixers and processors are that expensive. - Do have a look at www.asda.co.uk, or www.argos.co.uk and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised. They also do three tier electric steamers for the veg.--- Load it, set the timer, then get busy doing other things, till the bell goes! Love Don

Last edited by dontheturner; May 6th 2011 at 3:18 pm. Reason: E&OE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.