British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

windsong Apr 8th 2011 1:38 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9292986)
Definitely Tina. I would have to find a house share or other situation where I could keep him. He's tremendously well-behaved and I am sure that there are people who wouldn't mind (though many who would). My tenant at the moment has a dog and it is not a problem for me since I know what it is like as a dog owner. Anyway, there is really no other alternative since I won't farm him out anywhere.

Wonderful!!! Sp great he will be with you at all times. I know I would be lost - and worried - without my two little dogs with me :)

Hopefull, I will be able to find a house to rent with a landlord that is "pet-friendly". That is one of my concerns, too.

windsong Apr 8th 2011 1:41 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9293021)
That is a really beautiful house in Belfast, and up for sale! Are you thinking about going back there? If you think the owners let it slide I can only imagine what it looked like before.
I can certainly empathise with your situation since I basically supported my ex. I bought our house and then he declared bankruptcy without even telling me. I had a really hard time getting half of my money out of that house (the lawyer wasn't exactly on the up and up). How I have a house today quite baffles me... a couple of lucky real estate choices for once :lol:.
I see you have family back in the UK and a dughter who wants to follow you so glad to see you have some support.
I wouldn't be so bold as to advise a Masters in Psych ;) but I do believe that everything happens for a reason and that when one door closes another opens, so feel sure that there are many good times ahead for you. All the very best :thumbsup:.

Oh my gosh - "supported your ex". Linda, I have a feeling that you and I have walked down many a same path in life!

cheers Apr 8th 2011 2:50 am

I know of a car thats for sale @ £500 from someone who is leaving for the states in 8 days. Its in Cambridge.
If anyone maybe interested in it I will pass the info on. Its a Volkswagon and its an automatic.

ldyinlv Apr 8th 2011 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9293108)
The London trip is off now for me. My niece texted me last night and asked if it would be OK if I didn't come down this time as she wanted to just spend some time with my sister, this will be the first time on their own after my sisters husband dying (her stepdad) and now she is pregnant and wants some "us time" just her and her mum. :o

Can't say as I am not disappointed because I am and a little hurt too to be honest, maybe that's my ego?? I do understand where she is coming from but at the same time it makes me realise that although this is my family - in lots of ways I am still on my own........

Sorry about all that Bee..;( your not on your own, come down to Grantham, we will party like its 1999..lol
Jackie..:rofl:

ldyinlv Apr 8th 2011 3:57 am

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9293681)
Sorry about all that Bee..;( your not on your own, come down to Grantham, we will party like its 1999..lol
Jackie..:rofl:

Or should I say UP to Grantham..lol

windsong Apr 8th 2011 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9292367)
Hi windsong,

Apart from the weeding, leaf raking and the cooking and trying to make sure the house is nice for my wife to return to each day what else is there. :unsure: You're welcome!

Anyway, I'm a chartered accountant by trade and I enjoy showing others some of the analytical work that goes into picking and choosing one's abode and establishing the means to get it and keep it. Fortunately for us all, there is now a lot of info out there so we aren't just scouring the countryside at the whim of the estate agent on the day. Of course there are also some tricks that need to become second nature so that we don't get taken. I saw somewhere for instance that a large proportion of buyers end up with a repair bill for unforeseen circumstances after they've moved in so we need to go through the proper processes on the property, the neighbourhood, the neighbours (if possible) and particularly in a terrace or semi where the roof could be an issue.

By the way, I think upon further inspection that the nethouseprices.com details are more comprehensive than houseprices.co.uk ones. Did you find what you needed?

I don't think I answered this . . . Yes, I did, thank you. My half-sister bought an old period property that needs lots of work and I wanted to check out the history. I have a feeling she paid far too much for the place in view of the work that needs to be done. I think she bought "what it could be" rather than what it is - and she is, after all, 70 years old and trying to start a small business at her age to pay to fix it up. I tactfully suggested that she sell it and buy somewhere else that is already fixed up but she won't have it.

Pistolpete2 Apr 8th 2011 4:13 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9293706)
My half-sister bought an old period property that needs lots of work and I wanted to check out the history. I have a feeling she paid far too much for the place in view of the work that needs to be done. I think she bought "what it could be" rather than what it is - and she is, after all, 70 years old and trying to start a small business at her age to pay to fix it up.

Another golden rule is to never give the vendor any credit for the potential that a property offers. Anyway, potential suggests that the property is lacking something right now which it usually is and should be properly discounted.

windsong Apr 8th 2011 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9293716)
Another golden rule is to never give the vendor any credit for the potential that a property offers. Anyway, potential suggests that the property is lacking something right now which it usually is and should be properly discounted.

Excellent point!

cheers Apr 8th 2011 4:32 am

Peter posted a few days ago of a budget and what you would need to live in England when we go back. I thought he was quite high and someone else made the same comment so I'm glad I have company.
From my past life in the UK we didn't go out to eat at all so that would be a saving.
Here is something I found today of a budget for living in the UK from someone who was looking for living costs on Vancouver Island, BC. They listed their costs in the UK, for two, and I will post here. I think they compare with Donrovins estimates.

Mortgage/Rent $1344 $242200 Mortage
Council Tax £244
Elec $62
Gas $62
Phone Line Rental $17
Cable/Broadband $72
Food $508
TV License $18
Life Insurance $75
Mobile Phone $39
Car Payments $250
Home Insurance $39
Savings $469
Bus/Train Fares $62
Mobile Phone $39
Car Maintence/Car Insurance $93
Work Money $125
Fuel $187
Spending Money $939

Some of these items I wouldn't include and I have marked in red. It will be interesting how much I come up with. OK I know I have to include food but it is a variable.

OK I came up with $2279 and the amount for rent/house payments would vary as would the car expense. In fact I could knock out the car and classify it as a luxury and that would bring it down to $1749.
Again I need these costs so as I can calculate whether its doable and I definitely think its doable for a retired person and I will still have money left over to go out to eat (as long as they have fish and chip shops:D)
I am also an accountant Peter and I love numbers. (sad life really:lol:)

windsong Apr 8th 2011 5:07 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9293741)
Peter posted a few days ago of a budget and what you would need to live in England when we go back. I thought he was quite high and someone else made the same comment so I'm glad I have company.
From my past life in the UK we didn't go out to eat at all so that would be a saving.
Here is something I found today of a budget for living in the UK from someone who was looking for living costs on Vancouver Island, BC. They listed their costs in the UK, for two, and I will post here. I think they compare with Donrovins estimates.

Council Tax £244
Elec $62
Gas $62
Phone Line Rental $17
Cable/Broadband $72
Food $508
TV License $18
Life Insurance $75
Mobile Phone $39
Car Payments $250
Home Insurance $39
Savings $469
Bus/Train Fares $62
Mobile Phone $39
Work Money $125
Fuel $187
Spending Money $939

Some of these items I wouldn't include and I have marked in red. It will be interesting how much I come up with. OK I know I have to include food but it is a variable.

OK I came up with $2279 and the amount for rent/house payments would vary as would the car expense. In fact I could knock out the car and classify it as a luxury and that would bring it down to $1749.
Again I need these costs so as I can calculate whether its doable and I definitely think its doable for a retired person and I will still have money left over to go out to eat (as long as they have fish and chip shops:D)

Cheers, is the spending money, $939 a month????

cheers Apr 8th 2011 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9291453)
Further to my response to cheers ref this, I would guess that a reasonably frugal budget for living in the UK, if you are renting, is 25,000 pounds per year for two. Cost associated with the accommodation take half of this.

FV Telephone 750

Rent 700 per month, Cont Insurance, Water, Gas and Elec, 2,000 Council Tax 1,500 = 11,900

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011...om?INTCMP=SRCH

It is somewhat regrettable that most UK houses do not consider annexes and granny apartments or better still two beds upstairs and a one bed-roomed apartment below with separate access. .

A, Peter we who have lived in the promised land have learned to live very frugal lives which we never did in the UK. I have said that I never knew what poverty was until we came to the US. In my case I walked the streets looking for work (winter in a seaside resort of Bruce Bringsteens Asbury Park, New Jersey and Christmas time to boot) and couldn't find work. Same with what Rodney has written about only he lived on the street of Reno, Nevada.

We call those additions you mentioned, Casitas in Las Vegas

Cheers.

cheers Apr 8th 2011 5:15 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9293801)
Cheers, is the spending money, $939 a month????

Yes thats my understanding.
Those rich English;)
Remember how we use to call the Americans, those rich yanks?

windsong Apr 8th 2011 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9292776)
This not a reply cheers. I jut don't know how to start a new sentence on this thread.
As you all know, I hav been very absent on this thread.
I listen and read all of the issues but am so mired in my uphill struggle That sometimes I feel paralyzed to contribute:

1. Divorce
2. Sale of house
3. Dispose of some money worthy antiques( need the money)
4. Animals (ready for final paperwork per DEFRA)
5. Find the energy ton accomplish all of above when at 67 life is a bit overwhelming.

Sorry or the whinge....I feel emotionally exhausted.

CS, change and grief both bring lots of tiredness and exhaustion and the feelings come in waves. You not only have the feelings and tiredness to deal with but you have "actions" to deal with as well - prepping the house for sale, antiques disposal, pets, etc. All of these actions bring with them pleasant emotions and stressful ones as well - anticipation, excitement, concern, what-if's, etc. These also take a physical and emotional toll on us.

Go easy on yourself and do a tiny bit each day. Remember the story of the tortoise and the hare? ;)

cheers Apr 8th 2011 5:17 am

[QUOTE=cheers;9293816]A, Peter we who have lived in the promised land have learned to live very frugal lives which we never did in the UK. I have said that I never knew what poverty was until we came to the US. In my case I walked the streets looking for work (winter in a seaside resort of Bruce Bringsteens Asbury Park, New Jersey and Christmas time to boot) and couldn't find work. Same with what Rodney has written about only he lived homeless on the streets of Reno, Nevada.

We call those additions you mentioned, Casitas in Las Vegas

Cheers.

Pistolpete2 Apr 8th 2011 5:17 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9293741)

Council Tax £244
Elec $62
Gas $62
Phone Line Rental $17
Cable/Broadband $72
Food $508
TV License $18
Life Insurance $75
Mobile Phone $39
Car Payments $250
Home Insurance $39
Savings $469
Bus/Train Fares $62
Mobile Phone $39
Work Money $125
Fuel $187
Spending Money $939

See this posting from 4 1/2 years ago on this topic and THEY lived in a council house. Fuel prices and food are WAY up since then.

"bloody hell, we survive on £18k a year
rent = £220/month (cos its council)
council tax = £100
gas/leccy/phone/internet = £100
insurance on 2 small cars = £50 (N reg fiesta and T reg Skoda)
petrol/diesel = £200
food = anything from £200-400 a month, depending how skint we are
dont go out ... dont want to and cant afford it anyway! - lots of family/freinds go abroad so get cheap booze
dont smoke
holiday - one week + several weekends camping in skeggy"

Clearly there is some slippage on his numbers as there must be about 3,000 of other expense. Is the 18,000 the net disposal income, I wonder?

I don't think the fact that I am an accountant has any relevance to the realities. I haven't even factored in TAX! This is not a subject we need to low-ball on. :frown: