British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

windsong Apr 8th 2011 5:18 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9293819)
Yes thats my understanding.
Those rich English;)
Remember how we use to call the Americans, those rich yanks?

Ohhh, yes! I remember those days well. Ten years ago, before my career fell through the floor (and my income), I could have spent $939 a month on fun money, too :) Today it's a different standard of living and different way of living. The positive side of that is it's good practice for living in the UK, I think ;)

cheers Apr 8th 2011 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9293830)
See this posting from 4 1/2 years ago on this topic and THEY lived in a council house. Fuel prices and food are WAY up since then.

"bloody hell, we survive on £18k a year
rent = £220/month (cos its council)
council tax = £100
gas/leccy/phone/internet = £100
insurance on 2 small cars = £50 (N reg fiesta and T reg Skoda)
petrol/diesel = £200
food = anything from £200-400 a month, depending how skint we are
dont go out ... dont want to and cant afford it anyway! - lots of family/freinds go abroad so get cheap booze
dont smoke
holiday - one week + several weekends camping in skeggy"

Clearly there is some slippage on his numbers as there must be about 3,000 of other expense. Is the 18,000 the net disposal income, I wonder?

I don't think the fact that I am an accountant has any relevance to the realities. I haven't even factored in TAX! This is not a subject we need to low-ball on. :frown:

I was just mentioning that being an accountant was something we had in common. Nothing more.

In a way I think I was trying to say if you were saying that unless we have say £25,000 income a year we shouldn't contemplate moving back?

windsong Apr 8th 2011 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9293845)
I was just mentioning that being an accountant was something we had in common. Nothing more.

In a way I think I was trying to say if you were saying that unless we have say £22,000 income a year we shouldn't contemplate moving back?

I'm trying hard to find PistolPete2's budget figures that he posted. I've gone through the index of his posts and can't find it :(

PistolPete2, would you mind reposting, please, or send the link?

Many thanks!

windsong Apr 8th 2011 5:33 pm

In a way I think I was trying to say if you were saying that unless we have say £25,000 income a year we shouldn't contemplate moving back?

Good grief, pensioners are trying to get by on under £6,000 a year!!

Now I am worried that my £1700 monthly income (USA SS and company pension combined) will be enough after taxes and after exchange rate fluctuations are taken out. :(

PS: That figure is AFTER conversion from dollars to pounds.

Pistolpete2 Apr 8th 2011 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9293864)
Good grief, pensioners are trying to get by on under £6,000 a year!!

Now I am worried that my £1700 monthly income (USA SS and company pension combined) will be enough after taxes and after exchange rate fluctuations are taken out. :(

You can't get by on 6,000 plus pension credits unless you are penniless and have housing benefit or you are in a council house and even then.....???

cheers Apr 8th 2011 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9293861)
I'm trying hard to find PistolPete2's budget figures that he posted. I've gone through the index of his posts and can't find it :(

PistolPete2, would you mind reposting, please, or send the link?

Many thanks!

His post was yesterday at 6:08 am, number 6063.

windsong Apr 8th 2011 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9293902)
His post was yesterday at 6:08 am, number 6063.

Thanks, Cheers!

I found it!! How do I save a link to a specific post? Is there a way to do that? I've been saving the link in the address bar of the browser at the top but maybe there's a way to save a specific post. I've been cutting and pasting into TextEdit (Mac's version of Notepad) but there has to be a better way.

windsong Apr 8th 2011 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9293890)
You can't get by on 6,000 plus pension credits unless you are penniless and have housing benefit or you are in a council house and even then.....???

That's what I thought. I honestly don't know how my half-sister is getting by at all but, as I said, we only just got back in touch after 54 years so I am just getting to know her . . .

windsong Apr 8th 2011 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9293882)
Strange that because I found it but I can't find those two properties he posted yesterday. Maybe he will help us out.

Cheers - I think that post is #6076 :)

Pistolpete2 Apr 8th 2011 5:55 pm

In a way I think I was trying to say if you were saying that unless we have say £22,000 income a year we shouldn't contemplate moving back?

Hi Cheers!

I think that is a very very good point and a recognition that all parties should arrive at real early.

My personal circumstances appear better than many but there are still too many variables for me to come up with any sort of plan for a couple of years yet.

I have property in the UK which will be paid for in about four years from now and will live in that or liquidate and find something more suitable however even then I'm not contemplating the move really until I can see my two pensions (BDA and UK) coming over the horizon which will give me about 11,000 per annum at current prices and there will be some tax on that.

Even with that things don't pan out and I'm short by about 6,000 net of tax pounds based upon my budget, which frankly I don't want to be tied down to, and I'll need to keep some savings in something high income and remit that to the UK and pay tax on those remittances or play the stock market and make gains and live off the gains - all very easy of course.

Dunrovin came up with 300 a month as I recall for food and groceries and there's just him and the dog. Food, Groceries, Electricity, Gas, Water, Telephone/Cell/Internet and the Chippy are all pretty well fixed and they will be a big chunk of the non-housing element. I agree that a car is a luxury and that a senior rail and bus card is the way to go to save money but of course this means that you would need to be positioned for easy access to the supermarket and other facilities and services.

windsong Apr 8th 2011 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9293924)
Hi Cheers!

I think that is a very very good point and a recognition that all parties should arrive at real early.

My personal circumstances appear better than many but there are still too many variables for me to come up with any sort of plan for a couple of years yet.

I have property in the UK which will be paid for in about four years from now and will live in that or liquidate and find something more suitable however even then I'm not contemplating the move really until I can see my two pensions (BDA and UK) coming over the horizon which will give me about 11,000 per annum at current prices and there will be some tax on that.

Even with that things don't pan out and I'm short by about 6,000 net of tax pounds based upon my budget, which frankly I don't want to be tied down to, and I'll need to keep some savings in something high income and remit that to the UK and pay tax on those remittances or play the stock market and make gains and live off the gains - all very easy of course.

Dunrovin came up with 300 a month as I recall for food and groceries and there's just him and the dog. Food, Groceries, Electricity, Gas, Water, Telephone/Cell/Internet and the Chippy are all pretty well fixed and they will be a big chunk of the non-housing element. I agree that a car is a luxury and that a senior rail and bus card is the way to go to save money but of course this means that you would need to be positioned for easy access to the supermarket and other facilities and services.

I have a solution to this and that is to acquire joint income, i.e. get married!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

PS: Hope you know I am joking, of course. I think it's a good thing to be realistic because even though the numbers might not be what we want them to be, we are in reality and we can plan to make up the difference somehow.

cheers Apr 8th 2011 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9293924)
Hi Cheers!

Remember the UK has free grocery delivery, subject to.........

I just want to make sure I have enough and I should have more than enough. I could also, as Linda has said, pay for a house but I don't want to because I don't want to complicate things for my children when I pass on.

cheers Apr 8th 2011 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9293935)
I have a solution to this and that is to acquire joint income, i.e. get married!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

PS: Hope you know I am joking, of course. I think it's a good thing to be realistic because even though the numbers might not be what we want them to be, we are in reality and we can plan to make up the difference somehow.

Pete and I have that covered. If I wasn't married I won't want to marry again.
As they say 'why end a good relationship by getting married' or something like that.

windsong Apr 8th 2011 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9293942)

I just want to make sure I have enough and I should have more than enough. I could also, as Linda has said, pay for a house but I don't want to because I don't want to complicate things for my children when I pass on.

I think you will be fine, Cheers, from everything you have said.

I think I will be, too, IF

- I leave the move until the age of 62, three years from now when I am eligible for US SS early retirement plus company pension
- OR until the age of 60 when I can collect the company pension AND get a mediocre to half decent job in the UK
- OR get a well paid job over there now.

That $22,000 was for a couple, too, I believe. Correct?

Pistolpete2 Apr 8th 2011 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9293942)

Subject to spending 50 quid, typically,

BUT

I reckon that if you shop at the supermarket alone you wont be able to make it to the budget. You have to be able to shop at markets where certain fruit and veg, fish and meat items are better priced.

Where is that wretched budget of mine anyway. I can't see it for lookin..