British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

Easterndawn Jun 26th 2011 4:52 pm

Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

I know what you mean, you just get fed up of all the people coming through your house and pointing out things they don't like, never the things that are great about the house, you at the end of the day you feel like you must be wrong in regards to what you are asking for your pride and joy.

This afternoon it is a rainy misty kind of day, where the clouds are actually clouding the hill tops, and I was sitting down at the river with Mac, it was about 7am this morning and from out of the mist came the sound of the bagpipes playing somewhere in the town. It was such a lovely haunting thing, as I was sitting on the side of the old part of Inverness. I have been visiting client on the Black Isle and around the Invergordon, Tain and Avoch area, the villages are some of the most picuresque that I have ever come across. Old stone houses that look like you would have to be under 5 feet high to get in the doors, with giant roses curling around the doors. Flowers here seem brighter in colour and their blooms seem larger, not sure if that is just imagination or not. The amount of different wild flowers is amazing, bright orange/red poppies, blue bells, pink foxgloves, yellow buttercups and big white daisies. You could never have to buy another bouquet of flowers just pick the wild ones and you would have the color and scent forever in your home. As I rode through one of the villages one Sunday there was a choir singing in the park, soft gaelic sounds came across the park and with the sound of sea gulls and children playing it reminded me of why I had come back. Here in the highlands some of the villages remind me of that film "Brig a Doon" it is a if time has forgotten them and that is why this area has gripped my heart and just will not let go. Is it expensive to live up here, well I haven't really seen much difference from here to down south, except perhaps a few pence in petrol. The wildness of the mountains, oh, I know they are not as high as the rockies, but they are majestic in many ways. When I drive back to Ayr I always see little crofts high on the hill side and think, now thats where I would like to live, just me, my husband, dogs, good books, good music and a roaring fire. Well, maybe a 4x4 and a generator, but in my romantic heart they don't exist.

islandwoman120 Jun 26th 2011 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Easterndawn (Post 9458305)
I know what you mean, you just get fed up of all the people coming through your house and pointing out things they don't like, never the things that are great about the house, you at the end of the day you feel like you must be wrong in regards to what you are asking for your pride and joy.

This afternoon it is a rainy misty kind of day, where the clouds are actually clouding the hill tops, and I was sitting down at the river with Mac, it was about 7am this morning and from out of the mist came the sound of the bagpipes playing somewhere in the town. It was such a lovely haunting thing, as I was sitting on the side of the old part of Inverness. I have been visiting client on the Black Isle and around the Invergordon, Tain and Avoch area, the villages are some of the most picuresque that I have ever come across. Old stone houses that look like you would have to be under 5 feet high to get in the doors, with giant roses curling around the doors. Flowers here seem brighter in colour and their blooms seem larger, not sure if that is just imagination or not. The amount of different wild flowers is amazing, bright orange/red poppies, blue bells, pink foxgloves, yellow buttercups and big white daisies. You could never have to buy another bouquet of flowers just pick the wild ones and you would have the color and scent forever in your home. As I rode through one of the villages one Sunday there was a choir singing in the park, soft gaelic sounds came across the park and with the sound of sea gulls and children playing it reminded me of why I had come back. Here in the highlands some of the villages remind me of that film "Brig a Doon" it is a if time has forgotten them and that is why this area has gripped my heart and just will not let go. Is it expensive to live up here, well I haven't really seen much difference from here to down south, except perhaps a few pence in petrol. The wildness of the mountains, oh, I know they are not as high as the rockies, but they are majestic in many ways. When I drive back to Ayr I always see little crofts high on the hill side and think, now thats where I would like to live, just me, my husband, dogs, good books, good music and a roaring fire. Well, maybe a 4x4 and a generator, but in my romantic heart they don't exist.

Lovely post, ED. I can picture where you are from your words, and I know what you mean about the wildflowers - they are so lovely. As for a croft - I think along those lines sometimes, especially when urban living gets me down. But the reality is a lot of hard work at times, just to keep the fires going and daily tasks - that's because I want to whole hog - no bills, water from the pump (or the stream), and a flower and veggie bed or three. But I still want TV, as I love my Midsomer Murders and my gardening shows.... can't have it all:(:)

jasper123 Jun 26th 2011 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Easterndawn (Post 9458305)

WOW Pegie that is beautiful, thanks for that, I have never been to Scotland but reading of your little drives through the lovely villages and all the splendor of it all ---- makes me want to get on a train and hop over there now, ----- but that will have to wait until the arrival of your Hubby and doggies to make it all compleat ---- and then hopefully someone will get together a lovely little reunion for us all up there,
Take care,
Rodney.

trottytrue Jun 26th 2011 10:57 pm

ED.....That was a beautiful post I could close my eyes and see it so clearly. So often we travelled up to Scotland to visit my Fathers home and it was a haunting scene.
Regarding the house you are correct ED comments can be so soul destroying. We had two showings this weekend one thought the house was too big but liked the pool the other one liked the house but didnt like the pool. I am always exhausted after getting the house ready to show and then you get the news back from the realter and it really is depressing. I have done all I can to make the house sellable nothing else I can do apart from keep it maintained. Thats easier said than done. It will take days for me to lift the sadness. A word to those thinking of selling take pictures of each room and then take a good look at them and see if you like it. I looked at pictures we had taken when we first put it up for sale 3 years ago and pictures of now and its much less cluttered now and the colour schemes are much better. A bit late but it is better.

So many of you have had the chance to go back home and even though it didnt work out for some of you at least you tried it. Perhaps I am feeling melancholy tonight but I just wish that I could just have that chance. Those of you who it doesnt work out for can return to the country you came from and know you gave it a shot. Not living on dreams, you get reality and can look back and think well it just wasnt for me.

cheers Jun 28th 2011 2:23 pm

The forum is so dead, did everyone move back already?

trottytrue Jun 28th 2011 2:33 pm

I think everyone is out enjoying the nice warm weather in the UK and I am busy in the garden. Must be the summer doldrums.:)

between two worlds Jun 28th 2011 5:36 pm

Well what amazing posts here over the past ten pages or so.

Jackie, sorry it didn't work out, but at least you tried, and got it out of your system. Thank you for telling us--it was brave, as someone said.

Great posts from Trotty, Rodney, Sallly--all very thought-provoking, about why we go back, why we might have problems adjusting when we do go back, and so on...

Charleygirl, good luck, it must be hard to be going through a divorce and leaving the "kids" but it sounds like the right thing for you.

EasternDawn, what a poetic post about the beauty of the Highlands...

"I like tea/Helen," I too am sorry if you felt your questions were ignored here (though several have been answered now). I too am unable to answer as am not living in UK and not of pensionable age...but don't give up coming.
We do welcome new posters on here,a s well as being really happt to hear from old --oops perhaps i should say long-standing!!--ones.

I think this forum is such a helpful resource for people contemplating a move back, because it addresses the emotional as well as the practical. In the end, as Jackie's story, and Rodney's, show (among many others), one's ability to feel settled in a new life in UK boils down to a whole mixture of factors, many of them emotional, or simply to do with where one is in one's life at the time. And, as Sally says, whether one is running towards something.

Barb--and I do hope you're feeling better now, Barb!--mentioned Europe and how wonderful it is that it's just on one's doorstep when you live in Britain. Living here in France, I just love how I can be in the UK in just an hour and a half flight--ok, I need to be at the airport a couple of hours before, etc etc, but still, it's so much nicer than being in the USA and having the long flight and the jetlag.

(That said, Uk-USA is much easier than UK-NZ or OZ or similar! as I keep telling myself when i think about a future based in UK and far from grown children (and grandchildren??!!) in US!).

One funny thing that has happened is now I am much more aware of being European. I started to realize this as an expat in the States, that I was more European than I had realised in my English childhood. In other words, had something in common--shared history and culture--with French, Italians, etc, that I didn't share with Americans. Now it's even more striking.

People on this thread have been talking about centigrade etc, I am starting to get my head around it because i have to, and lo and behold when I got to UK, it's the same! In the shop across the street (OK I live in a city, this wouldn't be the case in a smaller town except in a very Brit-oriented tourist area like Dordogne) I can buy Marmite, crumpets, lemon curd, British tea and all sorts of British stuff if I want it. Some of the brands in the shops--shampoos etc--are the same as in UK, some high street stores are the same (eg there is a Habitat just down the block--how SAD btw that the company is in liquidation!) and so on, other similarities. I have gone back to British rather than US spelling (when I remember!) and generally feel so much closer to home than I did in USA....

But, before you ask, England is still my deepest "home."

Tina

dontheturner Jun 28th 2011 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9462531)
I think everyone is out enjoying the nice warm weather in the UK and I am busy in the garden. Must be the summer doldrums.:)

Yes! TT - Lovely to hear from Peigi - as I have holidayed on Culloden Moor up near Inverness, and the smell of the Fir trees is just slumbering to the senses.
Your comments on us all being busy - is so true...Tippawan, spends all day in the garden - although it is small - and today, I literally dragged her out shopping - for Veg, and Chicken Etc., but did not tell her to begin with, that I was going to get myself some new clothes! Black Slip-on leather shoes, for painting the fencing in, ( The ones I brought back from Thailand, are all very pale Suede summer slip ons-and far too good for that!) A new summer Jacket for the cooler Autumn evenings, and a couple of Polo Shirts. ...... Tim, got a lovely long flowing ''Ra-Ra'' Skirt.- (She had shoes last week, whilst we were with my Daughter & son in Law in Llandudno.) we will now stay home for a week or so, while the pension, builds up again! Take Care, all of you - Don

cheers Jun 28th 2011 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9462995)
we will now stay home for a week or so, while the pension, builds up again! Take Care, all of you - Don

You go through that too? Nice to know I have company.
We have to figure or calculate when the American Express cut off date is also and then we can go out and spend on the new month.

jasper123 Jun 28th 2011 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 9462931)
Well what amazing posts here over the past ten pages or so.

Jackie, sorry it didn't work out, but at least you tried, and got it out of your system. Thank you for telling us--it was brave, as someone said.

Great posts from Trotty, Rodney, Sallly--all very thought-provoking, about why we go back, why we might have problems adjusting when we do go back, and so on...

Charleygirl, good luck, it must be hard to be going through a divorce and leaving the "kids" but it sounds like the right thing for you.

EasternDawn, what a poetic post about the beauty of the Highlands...

"I like tea/Helen," I too am sorry if you felt your questions were ignored here (though several have been answered now). I too am unable to answer as am not living in UK and not of pensionable age...but don't give up coming.
We do welcome new posters on here,a s well as being really happt to hear from old --oops perhaps i should say long-standing!!--ones.

I think this forum is such a helpful resource for people contemplating a move back, because it addresses the emotional as well as the practical. In the end, as Jackie's story, and Rodney's, show (among many others), one's ability to feel settled in a new life in UK boils down to a whole mixture of factors, many of them emotional, or simply to do with where one is in one's life at the time. And, as Sally says, whether one is running towards something.

Barb--and I do hope you're feeling better now, Barb!--mentioned Europe and how wonderful it is that it's just on one's doorstep when you live in Britain. Living here in France, I just love how I can be in the UK in just an hour and a half flight--ok, I need to be at the airport a couple of hours before, etc etc, but still, it's so much nicer than being in the USA and having the long flight and the jetlag.

(That said, Uk-USA is much easier than UK-NZ or OZ or similar! as I keep telling myself when i think about a future based in UK and far from grown children (and grandchildren??!!) in US!).

One funny thing that has happened is now I am much more aware of being European. I started to realize this as an expat in the States, that I was more European than I had realised in my English childhood. In other words, had something in common--shared history and culture--with French, Italians, etc, that I didn't share with Americans. Now it's even more striking.

People on this thread have been talking about centigrade etc, I am starting to get my head around it because i have to, and lo and behold when I got to UK, it's the same! In the shop across the street (OK I live in a city, this wouldn't be the case in a smaller town except in a very Brit-oriented tourist area like Dordogne) I can buy Marmite, crumpets, lemon curd, British tea and all sorts of British stuff if I want it. Some of the brands in the shops--shampoos etc--are the same as in UK, some high street stores are the same (eg there is a Habitat just down the block--how SAD btw that the company is in liquidation!) and so on, other similarities. I have gone back to British rather than US spelling (when I remember!) and generally feel so much closer to home than I did in USA....

But, before you ask, England is still my deepest "home."

Tina

OH Tina that was a lovely post, I really enjoyed reading it, and so nice to hear from you again, I wondered do you speak any French? or is it not really too important as most speak English,
Take care,
Rodney.

charleygirl Jun 29th 2011 2:06 am

Lovely post Tina thank you for the good wishes, I cant believe i am actually doing this, but as my friend reminded me I am leaving doors and windows open, it may be that life is too hard with out my children although I hardly see them now. ( as I sit here alone for the 6th evening in a row).
All I know is I need to go spend time with my 88 almost 89 year old mum, and to see how things work out. I may be another jackie. But time will tell.

Ed a lovely post, I was there with you, never been to Scotland, its on my list of things to do.

I hope everyone is doing well.
Anyone know if J and J post anymore, they have been back a year now I think, I was wondering how it was working for them.

between two worlds Jun 29th 2011 6:14 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9463535)
OH Tina that was a lovely post, I really enjoyed reading it, and so nice to hear from you again, I wondered do you speak any French? or is it not really too important as most speak English,
Take care,
Rodney.

Thank you Rod. Yes, thank goodness, I do speak French, it certainly is important, although many people do speak some English. Couldn't have managed to set up an apartment etc without it. I'm enjoying improving it as well (it was rusty!).

You take care too, and belated happy birthday to your Mum.

Tina

between two worlds Jun 29th 2011 6:18 am

Originally Posted by charleygirl (Post 9463771)
Lovely post Tina thank you for the good wishes, I cant believe i am actually doing this, but as my friend reminded me I am leaving doors and windows open, it may be that life is too hard with out my children although I hardly see them now. ( as I sit here alone for the 6th evening in a row).
All I know is I need to go spend time with my 88 almost 89 year old mum, and to see how things work out. I may be another jackie. But time will tell.

Ed a lovely post, I was there with you, never been to Scotland, its on my list of things to do.

I hope everyone is doing well.
Anyone know if J and J post anymore, they have been back a year now I think, I was wondering how it was working for them.

Yes, charleygirl, I understand about your Mum, I was just in England visiting mine as well as other family, she is in good health, thank God, and only 78, but I so appreciate the time I am able to spend with her.

We have all spoken often on this forum about leaving adult children--which yours are, though only just!, which must make it harder. It is hard to contemplate and yet, as they get older and form their own lives, often far away if in a big country like USA or Australia, we see less and less of them anyway....

good luck...

Tina

dontheturner Jun 29th 2011 8:12 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9463148)
You go through that too? Nice to know I have company.
We have to figure or calculate when the American Express cut off date is also and then we can go out and spend on the new month.

Hi Cheers! Of course, the first thing to do, when you get into the UK, is apply for a Tesco Credit card - then buy your groceries, say, from Morrison's using it. - when the bill comes in for payment, if you wish, set up a direct debit with them, on your Bank account, and receive loads of Tesco Discount Vouchers, to spend on Tesco luxury foods! - you also qualify for their discount petrol rates.

Take care - and don't eat too many Cadburys Chocolate Biscuits! Don

rebs Jun 29th 2011 9:23 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9464265)
Hi Cheers! Of course, the first thing to do, when you get into the UK, is apply for a Tesco Credit card - then buy your groceries, say, from Morrison's using it. - when the bill comes in for payment, if you wish, set up a direct debit with them, on your Bank account, and receive loads of Tesco Discount Vouchers, to spend on Tesco luxury foods! - you also qualify for their discount petrol rates.

Don - what do you mean by this? Do you pay less at the pump if you pay with your tesco credit card?