Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by dunroving
In the article it says you can.
Reading the article, it appears age is the only qualifying rule for pensioners so it would appear to apply to anyone of pensionable age, not necessarily receiving a UK NI pension. Interesting stuff.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:09 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
Is the article correct, I wonder?
They quote the DWP, who I assume should know, and can't imagine why the article would make it up.

You can even claim it if you live overseas, believe it or not.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...el-payments.do
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

They quote the DWP, who I assume should know, and can't imagine why the article would make it up.

It mentioned Stringfellow. I didn't read it. I just rememberd there was no way to recover overpaid child tax credits when the scheme was set up. Another shambles.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:06 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Here they go again Brings back memories

Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
Rosie

I think it's you who has applied for your UK pension. If so, you will be entitled to cold weather payments. My Mum said she was getting £25 pw extra in her pension payments throughout the very cold spell.

Just for information.

Valerie
I know I should get them next winter, but am unsure if they will be retroactive for this winter, as I am not yet receiving benefits. Would be a nice surprise, and would make a huge difference in the tiny budget that I have.

Last edited by islandwoman120; Jan 17th 2011 at 8:16 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Rodney, this rent is very much dependent on where you live. I think Peigi pays £325 per month for a furnished flat, my sister pays £400.00 for a 2 bed unfurnished in Runcorn, I paid £500 per month for a fully furnished two bedroom flat with views of Lake Windermere.........all plus council tax and utilities of course............

Here in Australia my rent is more than 50% of my take home pay.
OK Barb your right about other parts of UK and rent prices, and thats what I diddidn'tally consider, yes of course just like U.S. difdifferentates and towns are cheaper then others, Its kind of narrow minded of me to just think that the prices down south of England where I live would be simular to other parts,
But I think in London though it would be really hard to find a one bedroom apartment for less then £600 p.m. and council tax on top of that, ---- but thats really what I was thinking in my post about London really where Denise & Tony live,
Take care,
Rodney,
PS lovely rain tonight, feels really good, quite mild though about 11c
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
With regard to some of the comments about Sheltered Housing ... I'm not old and neither is my husband. He's 51 and I'm 56 and we are VERY young at heart. The only, and I mean the only, reason we are even considering Sheltered Housing is because of the cost.

It's cheap.

We have no intention whatsoever of participating in any of the activities that are [usually] offered .... unless it's something we fancy. For example, sometimes these places will sponsor bus trips to the coast or something like that. Hell yes I'd take them up on that if it's a good deal. Why not?

In a nutshell, it's the least expensive housing option we've found to date. Doesn't even mean we'd accept it if one comes up. It would depend upon our circumstances at the time. But we figured there's no harm done in going ahead and getting on the list.

By the way - I have a job interview on Friday for a solicitor here in Staines.
Denise go get um ---- good luck on your Job interview, great big vibes being sent your way
Rodney.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Denise good luck for Friday, sending all good vibes.
Rodney so good to hear everything is still going well!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Hi Dunroving - Yes, even in the Phillipines & Spain! - but NOT in Thailand where there are lots of us!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

DDL...Goodluck for Friday got all my fingers crossed.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi Dunroving - Yes, even in the Phillipines & Spain! - but NOT in Thailand where there are lots of us!
I find this unbelievable......the euro countries where Brits moved to for warmer climate can still apply for heating help. Insane. No wonder the EU/UK are going broke.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Does that mean I can apply for it in the US. Somethings really need to change. Didnt know it was that cold in Spain.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 2:57 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Shocking, you move out of UK, you can't claim to be an ordinary resident, yet they get heating allowance I wonder how much money would be saved by cutting that off outside of the UK?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Shocking, you move out of UK, you can't claim to be an ordinary resident, yet they get heating allowance I wonder how much money would be saved by cutting that off outside of the UK?
We are all part of the EU, so the same as folks from France, now living in the UK, reciprocal arrangements apply equally. - What about parts of Greece Austria & Switzerland, where they also get cold and snow?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
CS, that's how I feel. I want to rent my own place where they can run and play and be safe.
duplex....you and me?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.