British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

bandrui Mar 9th 2011 8:21 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Cookie (Post 9228719)
If you read the further into 'who will win and who will lose" the newspaper article says:

Who will get this pension?

You might think everyone would qualify for a “universal” pension but this is unlikely to be the case. As is the case now, it’s likely that you will need to build up a national insurance record to qualify. Previously there was some suggestion that this could be a “citizen’s pension” payable to all UK residents, but this seems to have been ruled out.

It's all guesswork of course. It is a few years away and could all change or cancelled by then.

OH well. I am sure everything will work out anyway. Where there's a will....

sallysimmons Mar 9th 2011 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by GagainPEI (Post 9228808)
Sally, I don't know where you found that, but thankyou. Salford. I worked there for the best years' of my life.

Valerie

Glad you liked it! They're my favorite band and that's a song off their new album, so I didn't have to do much digging ;-) They've recorded 5 albums in Salford and despite becoming very successful, they still all live in Prestwich. Except for the drummer who lives in Chorlton and gets teased for being 'posh.' :lol:

islandwoman120 Mar 9th 2011 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9228759)
I will. Poor Richard long suffering husband to that PITA woman. I'm amazed he hasn't killed her and stuffed her in the shed.

Just make sure that the shed has wallpaper, and tea plates with matching handpainted periwinkles...:rofl:

jasper123 Mar 9th 2011 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9225003)
Well I have only been back 10 days and I feel like I fit in just great. :thumbsup:

Of course my previous one year here certainly helped as that is when I was on my big learning curve.

I have had absolutely no problems with money this time (not knowing coins, notes, etc. :blink:) and bought a mobile phone the other day no problemo. :thumbsup:

edited to add: Unlike Rodney I have never felt Australian, spoken with an Australian accent or that I fitted in. Perhaps it is different for people who have LOVED their adopted country................

Nice to hear your settling in Barb, me too, and I didn't say I loved America did I? all I was saying is I got used to it over the years and that the USA does a lot of things differently then UK, and thats what we have to get used to, :)

jasper123 Mar 9th 2011 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9227084)
Now I'm confused? I wasn't like Onslow when I left and I wouldn't want to be like him when I return.

Onslow image. Not dressed or shaven and watching TV all day with a constant stream of cans of beer in his hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNV7b...eature=related

WHOS ONSLOW? :confused:

Wawa Mar 9th 2011 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9228903)
Glad you liked it! They're my favorite band and that's a song off their new album, so I didn't have to do much digging ;-) They've recorded 5 albums in Salford and despite becoming very successful, they still all live in Prestwich. Except for the drummer who lives in Chorlton and gets teased for being 'posh.' :lol:

Thanks Sally, love it, love THEM, my best is One Day Like This, I play it over and over and over :lol:

sallysimmons Mar 9th 2011 11:05 pm

Here's Onslow (he's the one wiping his biscuit on the dog).

Derrygal Mar 9th 2011 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9229226)
WHOS ONSLOW? :confused:

He's the lazy slob in the BBC sit-com "Keeping Up Appearances". It was made in the 90s - I still watch here on my local PBS station. It's very funny.

sallysimmons Mar 9th 2011 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Wawa (Post 9229255)
Thanks Sally, love it, love THEM, my best is One Day Like This, I play it over and over and over :lol:

I love that!! Have you seen this amazing version with a full orchestra and a choir?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk2xaeXnxlM

I can't watch it without crying.

Mummy in the foothills Mar 9th 2011 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9228948)
Just make sure that the shed has wallpaper, and tea plates with matching handpainted periwinkles...:rofl:

:thumbup:

windsong Mar 10th 2011 1:41 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9227930)
Talk to an ex-pat broker. Don't believe what other people tell you until you hear it from the horse's mouth. You may be able to get a mortgage, but just for a shorter period of time than other people. Or maybe not, but a broker could tell you the deal.

Thanks, Sally. I seem to remember you said that once before and I forgot. I really must delve further into this subject.

One thing that I keep in mind at all times when it comes to getting a mortgage in the UK is what is happening with me right now in the U.S. regarding my current home. For those of you who have not read my story (not mentioned in a long time) here it is - so never say something can never happen to you and that something is not possible because it is:

Two years ago I applied for a loan modification. I was approved. I received the final paperwork from the bank but the escrow figures were wrong. The company that did my paperwork and submitted it to the bank asked the bank to correct the figures before I signed because they were the final papers after all. The bank did nothing of the kind. Instead, they sold my home a month later. I found out by accident that it had been sold to a third party at an auction for . . . drumroll . . . $25,000!!! Yes twenty-five thousand dollars. Talk about DEVASTATED! I have lived here 13 years. I am presently renting my own home from the new owner while my lawsuit against the bank is underway - I am SUING them!

My home is a very nice middle-class condo. The real estate market where I live (midwest) has plummeted the last four years but, even so, they are selling for over $100,000 now. Six years ago, it was valued at $180,000. This creep bought it for $25,000! I have paid half of that in rent to him over the last year while the lawsuit proceeds.

Because of the influence of the Supreme Court on the court system in my state, my attorney says the sale will not be reversed - yes, it is possible to do a reversal and some have been done throughout the country - because the courts are siding with the banks, no matter what. The most I can expect - apparently - is a small cash settlement and a clear credit rating. My home is no longer my home - it is a roof over my head. It is shelter. Nothing more now.

This experience was the straw that broke the camel's back. I have always wanted to go back to the UK but this was the final straw. I will not live in a country where this sort of thing is possible - and if it is possible, then there should be adequate compensation and reversal of sale under the legal system. The ethics ruling here are totally against my own personal values and ethics. Any veil of denial has been lifted from me as to what is really happening here. Had I known 30 years ago that this sort of thing would be allowed to happen in the USA, come hell or high water I would not have come here.

So . . . when you read the papers, whatever it is, never ever say "this can never happen to me".

windsong Mar 10th 2011 1:48 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9227405)
I can't believe that I could be so lucky as to have this happen. I think I worked 2 1/2 years in England. Hope no-one resents me for it.

I am not sure it will make a difference for returning expats, Linda. I would like to think so but I hardly think we will get the straight £140 that UK residents will get. I don't know, though.

windsong Mar 10th 2011 1:49 am

[QUOTE=Pistolpete2;9228517]

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9227084)
Now I'm confused? I wasn't like Onslow when I left and I wouldn't want to be like him when I return.

Onslow image. Not dressed or shaven and watching TV all day with a constant stream of cans of beer in his hand.

And always seems to have a "headache".

I know that program. lol! I forget the name of the woman who thinks she was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, but I couldn't stand seeing Onslow's house. It drove me nuts!

Boodles Mar 10th 2011 2:03 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9228948)

And, just remember not to BRUSH against the wallpaper!!!!!:D:D

Mummy in the foothills Mar 10th 2011 3:06 am

[QUOTE=windsong;9229567]

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9228517)

I know that program. lol! I forget the name of the woman who thinks she was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, but I couldn't stand seeing Onslow's house. It drove me nuts!

It looks like a lot of our neighbors on the inside from when I was growing up, we all had matching council houses with pebbledash walls outside we had red front door, cause my Dad didn't like the blue the council used. How they all lived in that cluttered mess is beyond me. Poor Daisy, she just want a cuddle (maybe a little more)

sallysimmons Mar 10th 2011 3:10 am

[QUOTE=windsong;9229567]

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9228517)

I know that program. lol! I forget the name of the woman who thinks she was born with a silver spoon in her mouth

Hyacinthe Bucket (pronounced Bouquet :lol:)

Fish n Chips 56 Mar 10th 2011 5:56 am

I wonder if we will be talking about Wisconsin tomorrow, is this the start of real Trouble in America, I think it might be.

Beedubya Mar 10th 2011 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9229698)
It looks like a lot of our neighbors on the inside from when I was growing up, we all had matching council houses with pebbledash walls outside we had red front door, cause my Dad didn't like the blue the council used. How they all lived in that cluttered mess is beyond me. Poor Daisy, she just want a cuddle (maybe a little more)

Talking of council housing............

My sister is a council housing officer and yesterday she brought home their newsletter.............I was gobsmacked at 2 articles in there. :eek:

ASSISTED FURNITURE SCHEME

For people who don't have any furniture and are moving into their first council house they will provide a grant of up to £1000.00!!!! (Strict criteria applies)

LEAVE IT CLEAN

To encourage people to leave their council property clean and in good order when they leave, there is a £250.00 reward!!! Just follow the eight "do's" and the money is yours!!!

I kid you not!!! :eek::ohmy:

Fish n Chips 56 Mar 10th 2011 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9230105)

My sister is a council housing officer and yesterday she brought home their newsletter.............I was gobsmacked at 2 articles in there. :eek:

For people who don't have any furniture and are moving into their first council house they will provide a grant of up to £1000.00!!!!

LEAVE IT CLEAN

To encourage people to leave their council property clean and in good order when they leave, there is a £250.00 reward!!!

Wow Barb £1000 that's unreal, I've never heard of such a thing, that seems like a boat load of money, I doubt you would get that in America, that's what goodwill is for, plus we have lots of charities that would give you stuff.

£250 to leave it clean, surely they should do that anyway, of course I know some people dont, as some have no clue what clean really is, it sounds like a bad idea to me, surely everybody expects the 250 wether its really clean or not.

By the way my sister in law is a council housing officer.

ldyinlv Mar 10th 2011 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9225018)
I haven't come across this yet, will let you know when I do. :unsure:

At ASDA they charge to park, but when you buy something you get your pound back....:blink:

jasper123 Mar 10th 2011 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9230105)

For people who don't have any furniture and are moving into their first council house they will provide a grant of up to £1000.00!!!! (Strict criteria applies)

LEAVE IT CLEAN

To encourage people to leave their council property clean and in good order when they leave, there is a £250.00 reward!!! Just follow the eight "do's" and the money is yours!!!

WOW dont you just LOVE IT !!! :)

jasper123 Mar 10th 2011 10:53 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9229254)
Here's Onslow (he's the one wiping his biscuit on the dog).

Thanks Sally I really had never heard of this show before, its probably on when my Mum is watching her 3 hours of Soaps, Corrie/Emerdale/Neihbours,
I do miss a lot of good telly when all this is on but I do try and catch up with things on my Lap Top,

jasper123 Mar 10th 2011 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9229259)
He's the lazy slob in the BBC sit-com "Keeping Up Appearances". It was made in the 90s - I still watch here on my local PBS station. It's very funny.

Oh yes keeping up appearances Ive seen a few episodes of that years ago, I remember now thanks.

jasper123 Mar 10th 2011 11:27 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9229542)
Thanks, Sally. I seem to remember you said that once before and I forgot. I really must delve further into this subject.

One thing that I keep in mind at all times when it comes to getting a mortgage in the UK is what is happening with me right now in the U.S. regarding my current home. For those of you who have not read my story (not mentioned in a long time) here it is - so never say something can never happen to you and that something is not possible because it is:

Two years ago I applied for a loan modification. I was approved. I received the final paperwork from the bank but the escrow figures were wrong. The company that did my paperwork and submitted it to the bank asked the bank to correct the figures before I signed because they were the final papers after all. The bank did nothing of the kind. Instead, they sold my home a month later. I found out by accident that it had been sold to a third party at an auction for . . . drumroll . . . $25,000!!! Yes twenty-five thousand dollars. Talk about DEVASTATED! I have lived here 13 years. I am presently renting my own home from the new owner while my lawsuit against the bank is underway - I am SUING them!

My home is a very nice middle-class condo. The real estate market where I live (midwest) has plummeted the last four years but, even so, they are selling for over $100,000 now. Six years ago, it was valued at $180,000. This creep bought it for $25,000! I have paid half of that in rent to him over the last year while the lawsuit proceeds.

Because of the influence of the Supreme Court on the court system in my state, my attorney says the sale will not be reversed - yes, it is possible to do a reversal and some have been done throughout the country - because the courts are siding with the banks, no matter what. The most I can expect - apparently - is a small cash settlement and a clear credit rating. My home is no longer my home - it is a roof over my head. It is shelter. Nothing more now.

This experience was the straw that broke the camel's back. I have always wanted to go back to the UK but this was the final straw. I will not live in a country where this sort of thing is possible - and if it is possible, then there should be adequate compensation and reversal of sale under the legal system. The ethics ruling here are totally against my own personal values and ethics. Any veil of denial has been lifted from me as to what is really happening here. Had I known 30 years ago that this sort of thing would be allowed to happen in the USA, come hell or high water I would not have come here.

So . . . when you read the papers, whatever it is, never ever say "this can never happen to me".

Windsong, OMG WOW I am flabagasted after reading your story, absolutely ridicules of that bank to have been able to sell your house, and after the mistake was discovered that the courts would not automatically reverse the sale, Courts should not have even needed to come into the matter, the bank should have reversed the sale right away and also reimbursed you for any inconvenience, Unbelievable, I am so sorry that you are going through all this.

windsong Mar 10th 2011 11:52 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9230409)
Windsong, OMG WOW I am flabagasted after reading your story, absolutely ridicules of that bank to have been able to sell your house, and after the mistake was discovered that the courts would not automatically reverse the sale, Courts should not have even needed to come into the matter, the bank should have reversed the sale right away and also reimbursed you for any inconvenience, Unbelievable, I am so sorry that you are going through all this.

Thanks, Rodney. Yes, it is a nightmare that no one should live. There really is crookedness, deception, greed and theft in the USA, and there is no such thing as justice here. There's also no protection from the government. It's all smoke and mirrors.

islandwoman120 Mar 10th 2011 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9229933)
I wonder if we will be talking about Wisconsin tomorrow, is this the start of real Trouble in America, I think it might be.

Wisconsin - read about the Open Meetings Law - I was part of a citizens group in Milton, nr Janesville, WI who got this law changed in 2006 - now it is being misused: http://www.wisfoic.org/an-openmeetingslaw.html

Shame, Wisconsin senate, shame.:frown:

Pistolpete2 Mar 10th 2011 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9230454)
Wisconsin - read about the Open Meetings Law - I was part of a citizens group in Milton, nr Janesville, WI who got this law changed in 2006 - now it is being misused: http://www.wisfoic.org/an-openmeetingslaw.html

Thomas Jefferson?

I know that name from somewhere.

We've come a long long way from the intentions of the Founding Fathers regarding the meaning of a REPUBLIC.

sallysimmons Mar 10th 2011 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9230454)

I would just change that to "Shame, Wisconsin Republicans, shame" since the Senate Democrats have done everything they could to stop this, including leaving their families and forgoing their salaries to stay out of state.

I can't remember if I posted this before, but the richest 400 people in America now own more of the country's wealth than the bottom half (155 million) of us combined!

In my opinion, what happened in Wisconsin is closely linked to what happened to Windsong. In both cases, the rich and powerful grabbed something from the average person and made that wealth disparity just a little bit bigger. I'm genuinely ashamed that both happened in this country, but until people wake up, turn off Fox News, learn about where politicians stand, and vote in their own financial interests, this stuff will keep happening.

Anne188 Mar 10th 2011 2:46 pm

Hello Everyone:

I first joined here back in January 2010 just a few months after my son died of Leukemia. Well fast forward to today and I still more than ever want to return home. It has been a struggle the last 16 months but its time to live the rest of my life doing what I want to do. I have had several new things happen in the previous months. I am to be a grandmother April 11th and my daughter moved back in with me. I am still looking for a job living on a deal I do every know and then in RE. It's time to sell up and move on and just trust that things will be ok. Glad to be back and catch up on all the adventures here. One question I would ask is how have the members coped leaving behind their adult children and in some cases grandchildren?

ldyinlv Mar 10th 2011 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9230500)
I would just change that to "Shame, Wisconsin Republicans, shame" since the Senate Democrats have done everything they could to stop this, including leaving their families and forgoing their salaries to stay out of state.

I can't remember if I posted this before, but the richest 400 people in America now own more of the country's wealth than the bottom half (155 million) of us combined!

In my opinion, what happened in Wisconsin is closely linked to what happened to Windsong. In both cases, the rich and powerful grabbed something from the average person and made that wealth disparity just a little bit bigger. I'm genuinely ashamed that both happened in this country, but until people wake up, turn off Fox News, learn about where politicians stand, and vote in their own financial interests, this stuff will keep happening.

There are actually over 300 million Americans, not 155 million....just sayin..:):eek:

Pistolpete2 Mar 10th 2011 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9230804)
There are actually over 300 million Americans, not 155 million....just sayin..:):eek:

sally is saying:

bottom half = 155 million.

therefore actual whole pop = 310 million

:huh:

sallysimmons Mar 10th 2011 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9230804)

Yes, but the 400 own more than the bottom half which is 155 million.

islandwoman120 Mar 10th 2011 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Anne188 (Post 9230744)
Hello Everyone:

I first joined here back in January 2010 just a few months after my son died of Leukemia. Well fast forward to today and I still more than ever want to return home. It has been a struggle the last 16 months but its time to live the rest of my life doing what I want to do. I have had several new things happen in the previous months. I am to be a grandmother April 11th and my daughter moved back in with me. I am still looking for a job living on a deal I do every know and then in RE. It's time to sell up and move on and just trust that things will be ok. Glad to be back and catch up on all the adventures here. One question I would ask is how have the members coped leaving behind their adult children and in some cases grandchildren?

So sorry to hear your sad news - that is an awful situation to have lived through. Good news about your grandchild, and the company of your daughter. Life can only get better - you have been to the depths of despair and survived. Welcome to BE.

In answer to your question about leaving children/grandchildren behind - each of us has our own experiences, and I can only speak for myself. It WAS hard leaving my son behind in - of all places - Wisconsin - see my former post earlier today - but he is a young man and has his own life to lead. I stayed for 25 years for family obligations, now this is my time. Sounds selfish? Yes it is, and no it isn't. Life is a circular system, and I am on the way round again - this time on the up cycle. Other people will have a different opinion to mine - they will have to give you their own answers. Rosie:)

CelticRover Mar 10th 2011 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9230500)

It is clearly part of a national political agenda in my opinion, especially when nuggets like this somehow become public.

http://www.hirebetterblog.com/employ...ally-in-sales/

Boodles Mar 10th 2011 6:10 pm

[QUOTE=islandwoman
In answer to your question about leaving children/grandchildren behind - each of us has our own experiences, and I can only speak for myself. It WAS hard leaving my son behind in - of all places - Wisconsin - see my former post earlier today - but he is a young man and has his own life to lead. I stayed for 25 years for family obligations, now this is my time. Sounds selfish? Yes it is, and no it isn't. Life is a circular system, and I am on the way round again - this time on the up cycle. Other people will have a different opinion to mine - they will have to give you their own answers. Rosie:)[/QUOTE]

Hey Rosie, Have a great moving day...don't forget to throw a loaf of bread into the flat before you set foot in it, that will ensure prosperity will follow and you will never want for anything. Elizabeth

between two worlds Mar 10th 2011 6:35 pm

Hello Everyone:

Hello Anne, welcome back, I remember you. Congratulations on the impending grandchild!
I haven't experience about leaving adult children and grandchildren behind--well, I sort of have, as am living in France currently and two out of three adult children are in USA--but no grandchildren yet. I can see that is when it would get hard. But one of the sons in USA lived far from us when we were there so we couldn't actually see him much. USA is so big, often they are almost as far away if in another part of USA as if across Atlantic!
Anyway, others here will have more relevant answers.
But if you "still more than ever want to go home, that's a voice you need to listen to.
Tina

Easterndawn Mar 10th 2011 7:07 pm

Hello Everyone:

Hi Anne, welcome, I left 4 children and 11 grandchildren, and a new one that will be born in August, It is difficult but I feel that I have given most of my life to my children, that I raised them to become good citizens, good wives. husbands, moms and dads. So it is my time to do the things, do I miss them , of course I do, but they lived 5500 klm from me in Canada and with the internet you can keep in touch at the click of us mouse.

dgjamison Mar 10th 2011 7:17 pm

Hello Everyone:

Hi Anne, I am so sorry to hear your very sad news, but am glad to see you are
trying to move on. I will try and give you an insight of my experience. We actually returned to Canada in 2009 after a period of 26 years, thinking we were going to retire there. This would entail leaving my three Married children and at that time 8 grandchildren back here in Ireland. I thought we would come back to Ireland every Christmas so things would be fine.I have to say that was not the case, and the lonelyness was terrible.....:( special days like thanksgiving, christmas, halloween, seeing families together was brutal. I skyped my kids and phoned every week I had phonecards, but it really did'nt help, so we returned home, and I realise now I need to be near to my family, and not just my kids butr my extended family ie sisters. When I got back I was home, maybe it has taken me to do what I did to finally settle me and ease those itchy feet once and for all. It has nearly bankrupted us, and we are so much worse off financially than ever before, but I am a lot more contented. You havent mentioned if you have family in Britain, if you have it may help a lot if not I hope you don't mind if I suggest a few things. If you really want to experience life back in Britain could you either put your belongings into storage or maybe your daughter look after them for you, then if you find its not working you will have you belongings to go back to, also rent here in a furnished place if possible, or if you can't buy second hand from charity shops until you make your decision. If you have to buy a car go for a cheap and reliable model that if you have to sell off agian cheaply won't matter. I wish I had taken my own advise on all the above as I have now to start buying furniture, ect: all over again, and had I realised how cheap it was for storage, I would have put all my belongings there instead of shipping them out to Canada only to ship them all back again 10 months later.
Don't know how long you have been away, and of course the loss of your son must have been devastating, so sometimes a New start can look great, but please just be careful, as I said before if you are an outgoing person, who can join groups and get invlolved with the community, and if you have strong family support, it could really work I am basically very shy, and find it hard to walk up to strangers and start a conversation(wish I could my mother could) so it was hard for me. Hope this has helped a bit like you havent been on here for a while so hello everyone hope your all well, will post again
Denise2

dgjamison Mar 10th 2011 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9229542)

Windsong, I am so very very sorry to read this, I can't believe banks and the buyer can get away with this, to me this is day light robbery, why are there no laws to protect innocent people against this expoitation, how can the sleep at night:sneaky::frown:I just hope things work out for you and god bless Denise2

cheers Mar 10th 2011 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by dgjamison (Post 9231326)
Windsong, I am so very very sorry to read this, I can't believe banks and the buyer can get away with this, to me this is day light robbery, why are there no laws to protect innocent people against this expoitation, how can the sleep at night:sneaky::frown:I just hope things work out for you and god bless Denise2

There usually are laws but it takes MONEY to have them enforced.