British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

cheers Aug 2nd 2011 2:51 am

Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by CarolPat (Post 9533155)
Somebody suggested I join this forum because I'm definitely over 50! I've lived in the US for 33 years and am in the process of moving back to the UK with my two cats - mostly to be closer to my 92 year-old mother but also because it just feels like it's time for a change. I've found this site so helpful with information and shared experiences. Although I've gone back to the UK at least once a year since I came here, it always felt like a holiday and I didn't have to deal with the realities of living in the UK. I expect I'll feel like Rip Van Winkle, especially in terms of British culture. I don't have a clue who any of the celebs and many of the politicians are any more! Not to mention current slang. In the back of my mind I know I can always come back to the US but I hope I'll love it there, especially now I'm retired and can take full advantage of bus passes, concessions, etc. We'll see ....

Welcome to the club. You mirror my situation to a degree.
Cheers.

between two worlds Aug 2nd 2011 2:53 am

Somebody suggested I join this forum because I'm definitely over 50! I've lived in the US for 33 years and am in the process of moving back to the UK with my two cats - mostly to be closer to my 92 year-old mother but also because it just feels like it's time for a change. I've found this site so helpful with information and shared experiences. Although I've gone back to the UK at least once a year since I came here, it always felt like a holiday and I didn't have to deal with the realities of living in the UK. I expect I'll feel like Rip Van Winkle, especially in terms of British culture. I don't have a clue who any of the celebs and many of the politicians are any more! Not to mention current slang. In the back of my mind I know I can always come back to the US but I hope I'll love it there, especially now I'm retired and can take full advantage of bus passes, concessions, etc. We'll see ....

Hello CarolPat and welcome!

I have a family member who lives in Atlanta and I have visited a few times, so I know a little about where you are coming from.

I hope you're prepared for much cooler temperatures in the UK!

I think if you've gone back at least once a year, it won't be too hard to get back into the culture. It's true that visits are like holidays, and we don't have to deal with the nitty-gritty of UK life, but I still think they help. Someone who has never set foot in the UK in decades or for 30 years is going to have a much bigger sense of shock.

Keep us posted and good luck with the preparation for this transition!

Tina

CarolPat Aug 2nd 2011 3:11 am

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll keep you posted.

cheers Aug 2nd 2011 4:58 am

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 9533177)

I hope you're prepared for much cooler temperatures in the UK!

Tina

I think they are bracing for a heat wave in the UK this week.
Is this August Bank holiday weekend?
Cheers

Beedubya Aug 2nd 2011 7:21 am

It's a STEEP learning curve for all of us who have lived away for many years Carol, I have been back almost 5 months and I have no idea of who the politicians are either, then again I don't really care, they are all just the same at the end of the day. :lol: And as for celebs sometimes my colleagues are having a conversation and I have NO IDEA of who they are talking about LOL!!

But it's all just part of the experience.............good luck and do post on here often. :thumbsup:

Beedubya Aug 2nd 2011 7:23 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9533408)
Is this August Bank holiday weekend?Cheers

Another thing I have no idea about LOL!! I just go with the flow and continue to learn something new every day. :D

sallysimmons Aug 2nd 2011 8:12 am

Since I'm on my third country now, I never have any idea when the holidays are anymore. After 6 years, I finally got used to Canada day and Canadian Thanksgiving and then we came here and it all changed again. Now I just work all the time anyway so it doesn't really matter :lol:

I think maybe I'm weird, but I know as much about the UK politicians and celebrities as I do about the American lot. I read the UK papers online and watch pretty much all British TV - I hope that will help with the culture shock when we get back.

Beedubya Aug 2nd 2011 8:52 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9533664)
Since I'm on my third country now, I never have any idea when the holidays are anymore. After 6 years, I finally got used to Canada day and Canadian Thanksgiving and then we came here and it all changed again. Now I just work all the time anyway so it doesn't really matter :lol:

I think maybe I'm weird, but I know as much about the UK politicians and celebrities as I do about the American lot. I read the UK papers online and watch pretty much all British TV - I hope that will help with the culture shock when we get back.

It will help to a certain degree Sally but not 100% believe me. :lol:

Then again my colleagues are all in their 20's possibly it was the same in Australia, all boy bands and wannabe Z list celebs. ;)

sallysimmons Aug 2nd 2011 9:12 am

I don't know celebrities here so I won't be any worse off :lol:

I just got some amazing news - we got our healthcare insurance renewal and instead of the 15%-20% increase we get every year, this year they are only increasing our rates by 3%. Holy healthcare reform, batman!! :thumbsup:

judes Aug 2nd 2011 9:17 am

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

Mummy in the foothills Aug 2nd 2011 10:02 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9533758)
I don't know celebrities here so I won't be any worse off :lol:

I just got some amazing news - we got our healthcare insurance renewal and instead of the 15%-20% increase we get every year, this year they are only increasing our rates by 3%. Holy healthcare reform, batman!! :thumbsup:

Lucky you :thumbup:
We are still waiting to find out the damage. Contract negotiations are underway, I'm sure the company will want to pay our "fair share" :eek:

sallysimmons Aug 2nd 2011 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9533833)
Lucky you :thumbup:
We are still waiting to find out the damage. Contract negotiations are underway, I'm sure the company will want to pay our "fair share" :eek:

There was one ominous letter included in the renewal, however. It said the insurance company is going to start auditing plans to make sure they are eligible, whatever that means. And that if you don't complete the questionnaire they send, they will remove you from the plan. How much do you want to bet that they claim to have sent out questionnaires that are never received?

Now that they're not allowed to throw you off the plan willy-nilly, they need another excuse.

jasper123 Aug 2nd 2011 11:02 am

Originally Posted by judes (Post 9532724)
Question for all of you have been there, done that got the tee shirt guys
Mobile phones, should we buy before we leave the USA or buy on our return to Uk ?
We leave 5 weeks Thursday , not that Im counting, and OH is desperate for a new toy, we of course havent bought anything for ages because we are limited what we can take back, so is a phone a good idea or not ?:confused:

Judes definitely wait until yo get here, I got a nice flip top one for £12.95
T.mobil, from tesco and I just top it up with £5 each time, that lasts me for months,

OK you Judes and anyone else that is interested, I LIKE TO DUST MY ORNEMENTS & PICTURES etc etc with a feather duster, I always used one in the States, anyway I got back and shopped around and all they sell here is silly long kind of synthetic things, pathetic as a duster, ---- anyway if u like them bring one or two over with you --- Im waiting for my friend in Vegas to send me one :)

jasper123 Aug 2nd 2011 11:08 am

Hi Carolpat and welcome to the Ritz, I came home 8 months ago to be with my 92 year old Mum too.
Rodney

jasper123 Aug 2nd 2011 11:15 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9533408)
Is this August Bank holiday weekend?
Cheers

Cheers it was over 80f today and same up till Thursday I think, that is the day I have to go into hospital, day after tomorrow to have my hernia surgery, I hope it goes well, :fingerscrossed:
Hope your fine,
Rodney.

judes Aug 2nd 2011 11:53 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9533906)
T.mobil, from tesco and I just top it up with £5 each time, that lasts me for months,

OK you Judes and anyone else that is interested, I LIKE TO DUST MY ORNEMENTS & PICTURES etc etc with a feather duster, I always used one in the States, anyway I got back and shopped around and all they sell here is silly long kind of synthetic things, pathetic as a duster, ---- anyway if u like them bring one or two over with you --- Im waiting for my friend in Vegas to send me one :)

A duster, you want a duster, okayyyyyyyyyyyyy !!:rofl:

judes Aug 2nd 2011 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by judes (Post 9508216)
We moved here around 11 years ago, travelled for 1 year in a very old Rv on very little money , ( we thought the Rv was big, silly us !! ) then we returned to Uk for just over a year waiting for our green card.During that time we lived in a bedsit, with a bathroom shared by 3 families and a shower that required 20p to make it work ! all this to save money for the big move, and we were as happy as pigs in muck When the green card arrived I paniced, I KNEW deep in my heart I didnt want to go, but my DH had made up his mind, and I didnt want to crush his dream, so bit my tongue and the bullet to be honest. We left behind 3 kids, all grown, and 4 gorgeous grand kids, the eldest at 14, gave me his beloved "badger " for company, nearly broke my heart. We moved in with my Mum and took over her mortgage, not a good idea, but you do what you have to do. We got jobs and made good friends, but like a lot say, square peg, round hole, no feeling of belonging. We missed every American holiday because we worked in the entertainment / vacation business and every weekend we worked for same reason. Realised for the longest time we were just "living " not belonging. Days off were spent shopping and eating. I survived by being on permanent countdown, either waiting for visitors or waiting to fly back. My English friend returned in January, but I didnt feel envious, at that point I knew Id return in 2 years or so, so Jane leaving just made me happy for her, ( have to say she was the only person who truly "got" me. ) then we took a trip back in late March, my son suggested a property we might buy and rent out, long story, but it didnt pan out. So he (son) said shall i keep my eyes open for you, so we kinda said yeah , why not, but we werent optimistic, in time he sent us pics of a property and said shall I put in anoffer, we said it's too high so he suggested putting in a 10 grand less offer ( does that make sense ) and see how it goes, suddenly hes saying congrats, you got a house !! And we havent even seen it, pics only !! that was early May. We are still waiting to complete but hoping this week. son is going to do improvements for us, meant to be completed by the time we return. But thats not going to happen because we are so ready to just leave that today I booked flights !! so looks like we will be living in a building site, but I dont care!! Oh and just to complicate things a little more,, my 84 year old Mum is coming back with us and also our 101/2 year old cockapoo !! So much more to this epilogue but dont want to bore you all, so maybe more later, if anyone's intersted ?

Im going to hit send now b4 you all fall asleep!! Oh forgot, returning to my beloved cornwall Kida and grandkids, incliding a brand new one, so happy I could poop !!:fingerscrossed:

Up date everyone

finally the house is ours and it took my son half a day to completely destroy it! he always was good at making a mess of something in a short time. Its going to be lovely once he's worked his majic . :thumbsup: Its in a small Cornish town called Camborne, which can be best described as central to better places !! But we could afford it and it's near the kids and once you shut your front door who cares ? No one can call me fussy . We've already been invited on a weekend at Ilfracombe, a scooter rally, and we get to go coz son wants a baby sitter for our adorable grand daughter. Chris is a scooter enthusiast, it will be interesting to see this side of him, a side which didnt exist when we left 11 years ago. This is what I've missed, family time, something you cant replicate. I just know Im going to be so content. Its interesting to hear our other son, Rob, perspective on the house, he saw it for the 1st time last week, and agrees it nice, but he wants glass door gone, Chris says keep it, Rob says kitchen is OK, Chris says nope, you need a new one, and us, well well we just sit back and let em do what they think best, sure it will be lovely. We completed the paperwork for the shipping company today, also sent a load of money over to cover what Chris is spending,made some headway into the quarantine / flying over of the dog and started the process for getting our SS paid into a UK bank. So we are slowly slowly reaching our goal. the only advice I can give anyone going through this whole process is to take little bites at your goal, just little bites, dont panic, just keeping ticking off that check list and eventually you will see light, and what a lovely light it is. for all you kind people who have answered queries, I apologise if I didnt reply, despite my advice I have got overwhelmed, but this is a marvelous site, I only have to wonder waht to do next, post it here and very soon someone ( or two or three ) answers me, I thank you all:D

Celticspirit Aug 2nd 2011 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9533922)
Cheers it was over 80f today and same up till Thursday I think, that is the day I have to go into hospital, day after tomorrow to have my hernia surgery, I hope it goes well, :fingerscrossed:
Hope your fine,
Rodney.

Prayers and good thoughts going your way Rodney, from 111F (hottest since I arrived 39 years ago) Dallas, TX. Take care xxx

Nyz Aug 2nd 2011 2:49 pm

Charleygirl, just wanted to send some hugs and best wishes xx

Mummy in the foothills Aug 2nd 2011 2:57 pm

I have a feather on hanging the cupboard, I hate the thing, I like the swiffer duster, picks up a lot more.

Mummy in the foothills Aug 2nd 2011 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by judes (Post 9534043)
Up date everyone

finally the house is ours and it took my son half a day to completely destroy it! he always was good at making a mess of something in a short time. Its going to be lovely once he's worked his majic . :thumbsup: Its in a small Cornish town called Camborne, which can be best described as central to better places !! But we could afford it and it's near the kids and once you shut your front door who cares ? No one can call me fussy . We've already been invited on a weekend at Ilfracombe, a scooter rally, and we get to go coz son wants a baby sitter for our adorable grand daughter. Chris is a scooter enthusiast, it will be interesting to see this side of him, a side which didnt exist when we left 11 years ago. This is what I've missed, family time, something you cant replicate. I just know Im going to be so content. Its interesting to hear our other son, Rob, perspective on the house, he saw it for the 1st time last week, and agrees it nice, but he wants glass door gone, Chris says keep it, Rob says kitchen is OK, Chris says nope, you need a new one, and us, well well we just sit back and let em do what they think best, sure it will be lovely. We completed the paperwork for the shipping company today, also sent a load of money over to cover what Chris is spending,made some headway into the quarantine / flying over of the dog and started the process for getting our SS paid into a UK bank. So we are slowly slowly reaching our goal. the only advice I can give anyone going through this whole process is to take little bites at your goal, just little bites, dont panic, just keeping ticking off that check list and eventually you will see light, and what a lovely light it is. for all you kind people who have answered queries, I apologise if I didnt reply, despite my advice I have got overwhelmed, but this is a marvelous site, I only have to wonder waht to do next, post it here and very soon someone ( or two or three ) answers me, I thank you all:D

That sounds great. I agree about the small bites thing. Dh laid out all his plans for me this morning, I wish he'd tell me this stuff more often it would relieve my stress. So apparently we have a plan, who knew (not me) We wait for Ds to graduate high school, and move to UK, then get the house cleared out get rid of stuff and start packing get the house sold. Once Ds has been in UK about 5 or 6 months we get to join him (if the house is sold :fingerscrossed:) so for me it'll be another 18 months, hopefully less.
It'll be a lot easier to stage a house without a big sweaty teen messing up the place for sure.

Beedubya Aug 2nd 2011 4:28 pm

Do you wear a pinny too while dusting Mr Bucket?? :eek:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Beedubya Aug 2nd 2011 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by brummie61 (Post 9532785)
I agree sounds like you can get good cellphone deals in UK.
How much does it cost to buy Backberry in England?

I asked in work yesterday how popular was the Blackberry and it seems to be used more by business people, it seems the iphone is more popular for everyday use - it was like that in Australia too.

Beedubya Aug 2nd 2011 4:33 pm

Up date everyone

Sounds bloomin' marvellous. :thumbsup:

Beedubya Aug 2nd 2011 4:34 pm

Anybody heard from Trottytrue and the outcome of the Radon report??? :unsure:

between two worlds Aug 2nd 2011 5:24 pm

Up date everyone

Wow things are really rolling, good luck! family time will return, you will be in Cornwall, wonderful!

Yes I agree as well, little bites is the only way...

Tina

between two worlds Aug 2nd 2011 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9534238)
That sounds great. I agree about the small bites thing. Dh laid out all his plans for me this morning, I wish he'd tell me this stuff more often it would relieve my stress. So apparently we have a plan, who knew (not me) We wait for Ds to graduate high school, and move to UK, then get the house cleared out get rid of stuff and start packing get the house sold. Once Ds has been in UK about 5 or 6 months we get to join him (if the house is sold :fingerscrossed:) so for me it'll be another 18 months, hopefully less.
It'll be a lot easier to stage a house without a big sweaty teen messing up the place for sure.

This sounds like a plan! Good luck with it all....interesting, and lucky for you, if both Dh and Ds are keen to go back to UK.....

Tina

brummie61 Aug 2nd 2011 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9534343)
I asked in work yesterday how popular was the Blackberry and it seems to be used more by business people, it seems the iphone is more popular for everyday use - it was like that in Australia too.

cool thanks for info!

brummie61 Aug 2nd 2011 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9534232)
I have a feather on hanging the cupboard, I hate the thing, I like the swiffer duster, picks up a lot more.

here we get dusters made with Ostrich feathers - maybe i should start exporting dusters! this time next year we'll be millionaires Rodney....

Fish n Chips 56 Aug 2nd 2011 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9533922)
Hope your fine,
Rodney.

Good Luck on the Surgery Pal, we will be thinking about you.

Fish n Chips 56 Aug 2nd 2011 7:40 pm

Up date everyone

Wow... we all wish we were in your shoes, It all sounds so Lovely.

judes Aug 2nd 2011 8:02 pm

and that sounds great, my mottos in life has always been you gotta have a dream, or how can a dream ( insert plan ) come true and always have a half full glass
sorry still trying to follow your story, just joined over 50's bit and not quite up to date on everybody. But you are all such a lovely friendly bunch:D

judes Aug 2nd 2011 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9534608)
Wow... we all wish we were in your shoes, It all sounds so Lovely.

to be honest Fish I cant believe how fast this has moved, we didnt really decide to go back until last April ( does that make sense) and here we are early August, house sold, another one bought and flying out in 5 weeks. I do think our life is somewaht planned, and this is all part of the plan :unsure: not that Im religious in any shape or form but...........................

Fish n Chips 56 Aug 2nd 2011 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by judes (Post 9534675)
to be honest Fish I cant believe how fast this has moved, we didnt really decide to go back until last April ( does that make sense) and here we are early August, house sold, another one bought and flying out in 5 weeks. I do think our life is somewaht planned, and this is all part of the plan :unsure: not that Im religious in any shape or form but...........................

Me either and Good for you, Its just nice to see it come together for you so fast, it gives us all a bit of hope.

jasper123 Aug 3rd 2011 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9534602)
Good Luck on the Surgery Pal, we will be thinking about you.

Thanks fish,

sallysimmons Aug 3rd 2011 1:16 am

Dh laid out all his plans for me this morning, I wish he'd tell me this stuff more often it would relieve my stress. So apparently we have a plan, who knew (not me) We wait for Ds to graduate high school, and move to UK, then get the house cleared out get rid of stuff and start packing get the house sold. Once Ds has been in UK about 5 or 6 months we get to join him (if the house is sold :fingerscrossed:) so for me it'll be another 18 months, hopefully less.

Great to hear! Sounds like we're on about the same schedule, so we can panic together as the time gets nearer :lol:

Judes, thanks for the update. How lucky you are to have people to do up your house!

Rodney, best of luck with the surgery - we'll all be thinking of you.

dgjamison Aug 3rd 2011 4:22 am

Originally Posted by brummie61 (Post 9532785)
I agree sounds like you can get good cellphone deals in UK.
How much does it cost to buy Backberry in England?

Brummie, if you want a contract mobile, i.e. a monthly bill they have some very good deals with a company called O3. My brother in law and niece us them as they give you a lot of free minutes, and texts per month. As a matter of fact my niece does'nt bother with a land line now, so depending on how much you would use your cell, once you get settled you could look at this option, sometimes depending on the contract you will get a "free " phone. I don't use a mobile that much so it was'nt worth it for me. Cheers
Denise2

dgjamison Aug 3rd 2011 4:40 am

Rodney, good luck with the operation, will be thinking of you as saying a little prayer all goes well:fingerscrossed: let us know how you get one when you can>>.
Judes great news about your move, keep in touch , and let us know your first inpressions when you get back.
Trottytrue... how are you? we are all wondering about you and hoping all is well with you, we are all here for you like you were for us, so when you feel like it, please let us know how you are:thumbup::wub:
Denise2

dgjamison Aug 3rd 2011 5:03 am

Originally Posted by dgjamison (Post 9535789)
Rodney, good luck with the operation, will be thinking of you as saying a little prayer all goes well:fingerscrossed: let us know how you get one when you can>>.
Judes great news about your move, keep in touch , and let us know your first inpressions when you get back.
Trottytrue... how are you? we are all wondering about you and hoping all is well with you, we are all here for you like you were for us, so when you feel like it, please let us know how you are:thumbup::wub:
Denise2

Fulwood I have sent you a private message re: Ireland visit,
regards Denise2:)

between two worlds Aug 3rd 2011 5:32 am

Originally Posted by dgjamison (Post 9535789)
Denise2

I second these messages to Rodney and Trottytrue.

Thinking of you both, Rodney for the operation tomorrow, Trotty for the radon and sale of the house...

Also agree it will be great if you can keep us posted Judes.

Tina