British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

cheers Mar 8th 2011 1:32 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Not all Brits want to go back.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...py-to-stay-put

windsong Mar 8th 2011 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9225650)
Not trying to be pokey but did your dad work at Llanwern? Hence all the moving around you told us of in a recent post - was it South Wales, Edinburgh and he settled in Somerset????

Have you been back to South Wales? I did a pilgrimage of sorts back in 2005 and stayed in the Vale of Glamorgan (Llantwit Major) and then moved up to near Raglan. BEAUTIFUL country and we had a great time. Llantwit Major* and the Cowbridge area, but not Cowbridge itself, really appeals but it is very attractive for Cardiff commuters and a bit pricey. Chepstow looks very attractive also.

*Now has a resurrected rail line than runs from Bridgend to Cardiff via Cardiff International (Rhoose).

No. My father never lived in Wales. My mother only ended up there because I was about to be born and she went home to her parents during that time. (My father travelled a lot). When I was born she moved back to London to be with my father and then two years later they moved to Scotland. When they divorced some years later my father returned to England - to Somerset.

No, I haven't been to Wales in many, many years. In fact, the closest I have been to Britain in recent years is watching the British property shows in England online :) It is from those shows, that I picked up that property in Wales is a lot less expensive than in Somerset.

If older people (58 years old) cannot get mortgages in the UK, I doubt it will matter which area I live in. I am trying to get my head around the mortgage situation over there.

windsong Mar 8th 2011 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9225665)
I saw something the other day that comparing real estate prices to reasonable rental returns, France is third most overpriced real estate country/zone on the planet after Hong Kong and Australia. The article was hinting that it is far better to rent there, which is in fact what 40% of the population do. UK was still overpriced but nowhere near as bad as France.

That said, there are some lovely looking properties on the market but we Brits have to be careful as they are in agricultural areas which are very depressed and appear attractive to us as Brits but are in fact way overpriced in the overall market. Then of course we should avoid any fixer-uppers unless we speak very good French and know exactly what we are doing and what we are letting ourselves in for.

FYI, USA and Canada were fair value.

Good to know. Thank you PistolPete.

cheers Mar 8th 2011 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9226236)
. Reading of your gains, I checked on gains in the decade to 2009 in the West Country of England and in Redruth, Helston, Penzance and Exeter, prices tripled in those ten years. This all happened without any noticeable new sources of employment for the local population to enable them to enter the property market and pay their mortgages. Partly to blame was the euphoria associated with the Eden Project, surf life at Newquay and Rick Stein in Padstow - not the most popular guy in Cornwall.

Interesting this. Do you think the prices will fall? 'what goes up must come down' idea.
I haven't kept track but I've never noticed the prices of homes in the UK go anywhere but up. Now the US is a different story.

cheers Mar 8th 2011 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9225005)
Well I for one, DO want to be a 100% part of something, after too many years of being on the outside looking in...........

edited to add: If you weren't like Onslow before you emigrated why would you be like Onslow now??? confused.com

Now I'm confused? I wasn't like Onslow when I left and I wouldn't want to be like him when I return.

Onslow image. Not dressed or shaven and watching TV all day with a constant stream of cans of beer in his hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNV7b...eature=related

Mallory Mar 8th 2011 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9225650)
Not trying to be pokey but did your dad work at Llanwern? Hence all the moving around you told us of in a recent post - was it South Wales, Edinburgh and he settled in Somerset????

Have you been back to South Wales? I did a pilgrimage of sorts back in 2005 and stayed in the Vale of Glamorgan (Llantwit Major) and then moved up to near Raglan. BEAUTIFUL country and we had a great time. Llantwit Major* and the Cowbridge area, but not Cowbridge itself, really appeals but it is very attractive for Cardiff commuters and a bit pricey. Chepstow looks very attractive also.

*Now has a resurrected rail line than runs from Bridgend to Cardiff via Cardiff International (Rhoose).

Hi Pete, I grew up just outside Chepstow, on the other side of the River Wye, in Gloucestershire. I went for an interview at Llanwern once, but it was a bit far to go on the bus! I knew people that worked there though. Both my brothers live just outside Chepstow, not far from our old home. Used to shop in Newport when I was a teenager!

You mentioned Bermuda. My friend from the UK, she is actually from NI, had a sister and BIL in Bermuda back in the 1970s, and they are still there. Just a long shot, but wondered if you knew them: Mervyn and Audry Moorhead. He was principal of a school, and she was a teacher. They are still there and retired.

I'm a couple of years older than you. I live in South Carolina, and have lived in Florida, Georgia, SC, and before that 2 years in Germany. Hubby looking to retire next spring, and like you want to spend some time in UK, at least I do! We are off to Germany end of May, to go back to Wiesbaden where we met, and used to live.

Enjoying all your financial posts, very interesting. Mallory.

bandrui Mar 8th 2011 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9226598)
Excuse me but I got the title wrong. It should read:

The European Capital of Culture "ECC"which is a city designated by the European Union for a period of one calendar year during which it organises a series of cultural events with a strong European dimension.

I guess I misread it in my own mind as Liverpool was ECC in 2008 which is not what you would really describe as a "capital". Other cities in the Uk have tried to get it, even small ones, but only Glasgow succeeded, in 1990. The point is that both cities were able to dramatically improve their infrastructure as a result of the award, with some underpinning of property prices. We are seeing more heavy investment in Glasgow facilities in the lead-up to the Commonwealth Games in 2014. Likewise, Stratford and Hackney in London for the Olympics 2012.

Time-wise, we're in the middle of everything here, being one hour ahead of New York until the end of this month when, unlike everybody else it seems, we do not change our clocks as we are so close to the Equator that we see not much more than an hour variation in sunrise and sunset as the year progresses.

I googled this and see that the countries have been put forward for years ahead (UK is one of the countries mentioned for 2022).
I think that the "where" question for me may not be answered until I am there and able to drive around and get the feel of a place but I've narrowed it down to an area of 3 or 4 counties in the SW. Of course, that could all change by the time I get there. I find divine guidance usually steps in and shows the way.

bandrui Mar 8th 2011 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9225753)
The car bit is a good alternative bandrui - if it was a good second-hand one. I'll make of mental note. I wonder if one could structure a BUY/SELL (quasi-lease) through a specific (trustworthy) car dealer the way the rental companies do, subject of course to meeting car condition standards at sell time.

My thinking on the car buy then sell route is that you could potentially have a car for nothing (well petrol, MOT and insurance) for the duration of your trip. You never know, if you find a good buy (friends? relatives?), you might even make money on the deal.

bandrui Mar 8th 2011 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123
Fish as you know I was in U.S. for about the same as you 36 years, yes thats a very long time but here I am back where I started, back home in my home town, a couple of years ago this life I have now was not even thought of by me as a possibility, coming home for good for me was the furthest thing from my mind, but all of a sudden it was all I could think of, and I just had to make it happen go figure, age I think had a lot to do with it, also being laid off from a Job I had planned on being at way into my 70's I loved working for that company, I was there for 8 years, and laid off with 33 other people, then after a few months on unemployment benefits I found a dead end Job that I hated wages so low that I couldn't even afford the companies $40 a week medical coverage premium, stayed there one and a half years until I came home, so circumstances play a great big part in all our decisions to come home for good, well Im so pleased that I kept that thought and stayed on that path, and I have only been back 3 months or so now, and in that short time although I have not got that magic feeling of belonging yet, I do feel comfortable here, and as I re - learn more and more about my homeland I gradually find myself blending in with the country and surroundings --- if not yet the people, the people take a little longer to get used to especially if like me you havent had any UK friends when living in USA, Americans are what Im used to, English people are a lot different, and there ways of thinking and doing things are so much different to mine,
But Fish you ask yourself after 35 years in U.S. you wonder whether or not you will ever fit in 100% --- well maybe you or I will not fit in all the way, but I do honestly feel that we will come pretty darn close, as long as we just relax and take everything as it comes and dont expect too much --- after all the country and the people owe us nothing, and as long as we dont start comparing our old life in the U.S. to our new life in U.K. we will be OK,
Take care my friend,
Rodney.

Very much like you Rodney, I have often thought about coming home in the past but never really thought it was possible. There were always these comments in the air like "Oh, England is so expensive now", etc. and I also held the belief that because I had lived in so many other places, it would be really difficult to do without comparing to these other places.
All that has now changed. Since I have made the decision to return, I have an inner knowingness that this is absolutely the right decision for me. I could list many reasons why but the true reason is that I have always considered myself first and foremost British. It is where my heart lies. All the rest is just details.
Since I have made the decision, I am obsessed with the details of making it happen. It is as if I have suddenly come to life and now have a sense of purpose. I realise how bored and stagnant I had become, how most things that interest me are in the UK and look forward to very simple things like walking the footpaths, re-discovering my country and living a life where I might actually have some free time and choices on how to use it.
I know that there will be things that aggravate, as there are here, but I am going to try and steer clear of these and enjoy life. I generally adapt well to changes of scene, being a bit of a Gypsy and as for fitting in, I have never really felt that I fitted in anywhere and that is certainly fine with me. I celebrate my difference and uniqueness but am sure I will be happier being different in England than here.:)
My daughter often used to say to me "But Mum, You said..." to which I gave my standard response: "I reserve the right to re-create my life in any instant". That is what I am doing and it is super exciting. I love life.

Fish n Chips 56 Mar 8th 2011 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9226480)
It isn't always thoughtless and lazy people. I've been known to leave the cart, I try to hook the wheels over a curb or planter.
Heres how it can go. Infant in a car seat, toddler trying to escape, it's 100 degrees out and my frozen stuff is not doing well, I open the car doors, load the boot as fast as possible, strap in the toddler, move infant seat from cart to car base, hook cart wheels to stop it moving jump in car and get the A/C going, baby is now beet red and crying from over heating, toddler is ready to start too. hand over a snack/bottle and get home ASAP.
Dh used to leave for work at 6am and get home at 9pm, so I either shopped (at a discount store no help out and pack your own bags) or go without food, sorry if I ever let a cart get away from me, I don't think I have, but you never know. My own car has grocery store battle scars from run ins with trolleys too.

Ok Pauline you are excused, most times the people arent with kids, they are slobs, they dont take care of themselves or their vehicles so why should I expect them to care about my car, I know better, Have you ever parked in a sloping lot, watching someone gently park a cart so as they dont have to walk 30-40 ft, knowing that a gentle breeze will set that cart rolling into one of the many cars parked there, like I say as long as they dont have to walk 30-40ft...

bandrui Mar 8th 2011 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9226137)
I read you loud n clear Rodney, I will be OK.

Comparing is a no no, but we do it all the time, we always have, as long as I dont do it out loud I will be OK, I think all people hate to hear it, some sound so ungrateful.

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9226170)
More today on the news about the £140 week minimum pension.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...-everyone.html

I can't believe that I could be so lucky as to have this happen. I think I worked 2 1/2 years in England. Hope no-one resents me for it.

bandrui Mar 8th 2011 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by black swan (Post 9227029)
Bee - - it's great to hear that you are feeling more rested after ten days with your sister. The emotional turmoil leaving family again would have left you fairly traumatised without the long flight on top.

Trolleys. They have just been made available here in Perth, WA. But you still have a choice of the free ones or the new shallow ones that take a $1 or $2 coin. Not so much bending over with the new ones. After wheeling the trolley out to your car you then have to bring the trolley back to the store to retrieve your coin. With the old trolley you just have to leave it in the 'trolley parking bay' which people usually do.

Paula.

Yes, Bee, glad you are obviously recuperating now. I read your posts with interest.

Trolleys: I thought about this in relation to the 2 shopping markets here and I can honestly say that I cannot remember a single case in 10 years that a trolley wasn't put back. Perhaps there were a couple. I know this sounds strange but what occurred to me when I first moved here is that in a rural situation, you are face-to-face with all the consequences of your actions. In the city/town, you turn on a tap, water comes out. How many people think about where that water comes from? Here, the lake at the foot of the road is my drinking water. (I take offence when an occasional plane flies in and lands on it - illegal by the way). And so it is with all things. Life flows according to the seasons. People know who did what. Being a loner and a somewhat private person I thought this might bother me. Au contraire. I enjoy the sense of community and the responsibility that that brings. Hence my decision to live at least semi-rurally in the UK.
Perhaps the anonymity and relative isolation of city and town life remove the connection that people have with the consequences of their actions.

Fish n Chips 56 Mar 8th 2011 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9227049)
I feel very bad for you FnC, and for many in the US who are experiencing the heartbreak of foreclosure. The situation you describe has happened to me in the past too. I had a house in Alberta during the boom years. When the bust came, I sold it for less than I paid for it. It hurts.
It goes to show that even with the best of analysis, ultimately the future is unknown and anything can happen. We can only rely on, and make decisions on, what we know in the present and hope for the best in the future. I wish you the best in yours.
Linda

Thanks Linda, we've owned a few homes over the years and hardly made much at all, Once we broken even after living in a home for 7 years, as we decided to move there was a slump, it took two years to sell that home, we really lost money as we finished the basement, put in a fence, yard and sprinklers, but this is how it goes...

Many people try to do the right thing, still going back has so many variables, there's no way you can be sure its all going to turn out well, the exchange rate can go wild at anytime.

Foreclosures, its not all down to people losing jobs, although that is a big thing, we've seen some unreal stories here, some people buy a second cheaper home similar to what they own, then dump the first home, this way they get a similar home for a lower mortgage payment, others just dump their homes because they are in the hole, their home has dropped in value so much they figure its cheaper for them to walk away and rent for 5-7 years, they now owe much more on their home than what they feel its worth in todays market, I think its totally irresponsible of them, they made an agreement to repay, not to walk away, Nobody promised values would always rise although many feel a home is an investment, Who pays for all of this, I know many think its the banks, myself I think we the customer always pay.

While these morons dump their homes on the market we the other home sellers have to compete with them, its a nasty selfish dog eat dog world.

Good luck with your home, Fish n Chips.

bandrui Mar 8th 2011 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9227443)
Thanks Linda, we've owned a few homes over the years and hardly made much at all, Once we broken even after living in a home for 7 years, as we decided to move there was a slump, it took two years to sell that home, we really lost money as we finished the basement, put in a fence, yard and sprinklers, but this is how it goes...

Many people try to do the right thing, still going back has so many variables, there's no way you can be sure its all going to turn out well, the exchange rate can go wild at anytime.

Foreclosures, its not all down to people losing jobs, although that is a big thing, we've seen some unreal stories here, some people buy a second cheaper home similar to what they own, then dump the first home, this way they get a similar home for a lower mortgage payment, others just dump their homes because they are in the hole, their home has dropped in value so much they figure its cheaper for them to walk away and rent for 5-7 years, they now owe much more on their home than what they feel its worth in todays market, I think its totally irresponsible of them, they made an agreement to repay, not to walk away, Nobody promised values would always rise although many feel a home is an investment, Who pays for all of this, I know many think its the banks, myself I think we the customer always pay.

While these morons dump their homes on the market we the other home sellers have to compete with them, its a nasty selfish dog eat dog world.

Good luck with your home, Fish n Chips.

You cetainly made some good points that I wasn't aware of. And, after all is said and done, there is no loss or gain until the house is sold. I am not feeling smug about my property because who knows what will happen when the time comes to sell. I don't plan on doing too much to it because I don't think I can increase its value significantly beyond what I have already done. Just get rid of some stuff, clear up the yard, etc. Big jobs in themselves.
IF things go well, it will be the first time I have made any significant gains in all of my house-owning history.
One ex neglected to tell me that he had declared bankruptcy and I lost half of my Grandmother's money that had gone into the house. Shouldn't have played nice guy and put his name on it. :frown:

Beedubya Mar 8th 2011 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9226143)
Im glad all is well, I didn't think you'd have problems.

New car you can drive, Nice sister, Lucky you.

Car is not brand new, but new to my nice sister. :thumbsup:

It's a Vauxhall Corsa, automatic and silver in colour, 4 years old.

Beedubya Mar 8th 2011 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by black swan (Post 9227029)
Bee - - it's great to hear that you are feeling more rested after ten days with your sister. The emotional turmoil leaving family again would have left you fairly traumatised without the long flight on top.Trolleys. They have just been made available here in Perth, WA. But you still have a choice of the free ones or the new shallow ones that take a $1 or $2 coin. Not so much bending over with the new ones. After wheeling the trolley out to your car you then have to bring the trolley back to the store to retrieve your coin. With the old trolley you just have to leave it in the 'trolley parking bay' which people usually do.

Paula.

Thank you Paula, yes I think it must have been the combination as I have never experienced such tiredness after a flight before.

Beedubya Mar 8th 2011 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9227386)
Fish as you know I was in U.S. for about the same as you 36 years, yes thats a very long time but here I am back where I started, back home in my home town, a couple of years ago this life I have now was not even thought of by me as a possibility, coming home for good for me was the furthest thing from my mind, but all of a sudden it was all I could think of, and I just had to make it happen go figure, age I think had a lot to do with it, also being laid off from a Job I had planned on being at way into my 70's I loved working for that company, I was there for 8 years, and laid off with 33 other people, then after a few months on unemployment benefits I found a dead end Job that I hated wages so low that I couldn't even afford the companies $40 a week medical coverage premium, stayed there one and a half years until I came home, so circumstances play a great big part in all our decisions to come home for good, well Im so pleased that I kept that thought and stayed on that path, and I have only been back 3 months or so now, and in that short time although I have not got that magic feeling of belonging yet, I do feel comfortable here, and as I re - learn more and more about my homeland I gradually find myself blending in with the country and surroundings --- if not yet the people, the people take a little longer to get used to especially if like me you havent had any UK friends when living in USA, Americans are what Im used to, English people are a lot different, and there ways of thinking and doing things are so much different to mine,
But Fish you ask yourself after 35 years in U.S. you wonder whether or not you will ever fit in 100% --- well maybe you or I will not fit in all the way, but I do honestly feel that we will come pretty darn close, as long as we just relax and take everything as it comes and dont expect too much --- after all the country and the people owe us nothing, and as long as we dont start comparing our old life in the U.S. to our new life in U.K. we will be OK,
Take care my friend,
Rodney.

Very much like you Rodney, I have often thought about coming home in the past but never really thought it was possible. There were always these comments in the air like "Oh, England is so expensive now", etc. and I also held the belief that because I had lived in so many other places, it would be really difficult to do without comparing to these other places.
All that has now changed. Since I have made the decision to return, I have an inner knowingness that this is absolutely the right decision for me. I could list many reasons why but the true reason is that I have always considered myself first and foremost British. It is where my heart lies. All the rest is just details.
Since I have made the decision, I am obsessed with the details of making it happen. It is as if I have suddenly come to life and now have a sense of purpose. I realise how bored and stagnant I had become, how most things that interest me are in the UK and look forward to very simple things like walking the footpaths, re-discovering my country and living a life where I might actually have some free time and choices on how to use it.
I know that there will be things that aggravate, as there are here, but I am going to try and steer clear of these and enjoy life. I generally adapt well to changes of scene, being a bit of a Gypsy and as for fitting in, I have never really felt that I fitted in anywhere and that is certainly fine with me. I celebrate my difference and uniqueness but am sure I will be happier being different in England than here.:)
My daughter often used to say to me "But Mum, You said..." to which I gave my standard response: "I reserve the right to re-create my life in any instant". That is what I am doing and it is super exciting. I love life.

Fantastic positive post, I can feel your excitement. :thumbsup:

All the very best as you take the first steps on your journey. Love this: I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO RE-CREATE MY LIFE IN ANY INSTANT. :wub:

DDL Mar 8th 2011 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9226923)
Darn it the one that Ds will use is blank, and the next nearest is only 35% :eek: Is that just the driving part or does it include the behind the test?

Mummy, this is for the Practical, i.e., the driving part. There are probably statistics out there somewhere on the Theory (written) test, but I did not look them up.

bandrui Mar 8th 2011 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9227521)
Fantastic positive post, I can feel your excitement. :thumbsup:

All the very best as you take the first steps on your journey. Love this: I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO RE-CREATE MY LIFE IN ANY INSTANT. :wub:

Bless you, Bee. And the same to you.

islandwoman120 Mar 8th 2011 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9227084)
Now I'm confused? I wasn't like Onslow when I left and I wouldn't want to be like him when I return.

Onslow image. Not dressed or shaven and watching TV all day with a constant stream of cans of beer in his hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNV7b...eature=related

Hey! I like Onslow, and his Daisy too. You leave my TV watching pleasures alone, Mr. Cheers! :);):frown:

Pistolpete2 Mar 8th 2011 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9227070)
Interesting this. Do you think the prices will fall? 'what goes up must come down' idea.
I haven't kept track but I've never noticed the prices of homes in the UK go anywhere but up. Now the US is a different story.

IN GENERAL, prices are slowly falling back after recovering some of their fairly steep losses after reaching highs in late 2007. In the Autumn of 2010, some areas just about reached new peaks but have since fallen off.

In prime London (Kensington & Chelsea) the market is different and 70% of buyers are foreign, mainly from Russia and China but there is also European (French and Italians) buyer interest. Prime London also gets supported from money invested by bankers when they get their nice big bonuses as there really is no other market that is so resilient.

The West Country has fallen back like the overall market in recent months.

The overall market is expected to fall slowly from here while the public sector job losses work their way into the system and the north will bear the brunt of these cuts as that is where most public sector jobs (apart from London) are.

There is as always an acute shortage of quality family homes on the market and these properties hold their values well.

THE Uk is not building residential property in any great numbers these days* and there is a shortage of property to meet current needs. For this reason, though prices are still regarded as high/overvalued and first-time buyers find it next to impossible to put the money together to get a mortgage they can afford and actually buy something, there is always support due to demand exceeding overall supply.

*Building land is in short supply, particularly due to zoning and the need to build on brownfield (former industrial-type land) in urban areas to meet planning requirements. Further, developers now have to usually include an element of affordable housing in their plans to meet those planning requirements and the maths does not necessarily add up for them in this soft market when they try and load the lack of profit on the affordable piece into extra charges on the non-affordable element. We should all remember that planning and maintenance of the green belt has been one of the great success stories in the UK in what could otherwise be an incredibly crowded island of 60 million people.

cheers Mar 8th 2011 11:50 pm

'and here are a few of my favorite things'
Quoting:

Haggis, Black/White/Fruit/Blood pudding
Rock's Organic Squash
The availablity of butchers/fish mongers/milk delivery/veg boxes/farmers markets
iplayer/4OD
BBC Radio 4
The NHS (Is that a find? Its something I am grateful for!)
Crowdie cheese
Oatcakes
Freeview/Freesat
Lakeland (and the great local shop here Farm & Household!)
curly wurly/boost bars/lions/twirls/topic bars/cadbury creme eggs (ok, not just a UK thing, but taste mmmmmmm here)/thorntons/m&s chocolates/parma violets/jelly babies
Delicious/Good Food magazines
Tunnocks tea cakes and snowballs
Irn bru (though I don't drink much soda at all)
Venison
Estate cars (station wagons) still being available and popular

I may ad I don't know what some of these things are.

Mallory Mar 9th 2011 12:20 am

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9227552)
Mummy, this is for the Practical, i.e., the driving part. There are probably statistics out there somewhere on the Theory (written) test, but I did not look them up.

Don't worry about the test Denise. Remember you've been driving for years. Loads of those people that fail are first time drivers. Good luck!

sallysimmons Mar 9th 2011 12:27 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9227062)

If older people (58 years old) cannot get mortgages in the UK, I doubt it will matter which area I live in. I am trying to get my head around the mortgage situation over there.

Talk to an ex-pat broker. Don't believe what other people tell you until you hear it from the horse's mouth. You may be able to get a mortgage, but just for a shorter period of time than other people. Or maybe not, but a broker could tell you the deal.

curleytops Mar 9th 2011 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9223914)
The Uk has moved on without us, things we take for granted have changed, so give it ten or twenty years and you might feel normal again...

After being here 35 years I wonder if I will ever fit in 100%, Id like to think so.

Fish, I don't recall, how long is it since you've last been home for a visit? You're quite right, everything moves on and I've worried about these same issues in the past but after going back last October for first time in 33 years I was just amazed at how comfortable I felt over there. It seemed like I'd just been away (meaning here in Canada) for a visit for awhile. Yes, there are changes and some things might seem a bit strange at first but I think if you have family around you it's bound to make a difference and help you adapt. I might be in for a big shock 3 weeks from now when I take the plunge for good but have to say I'm very optimistic and I'm sure you'll be just fine too!:)

curleytops Mar 9th 2011 2:11 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9227386)
Take care my friend,
Rodney.

Wow! I could have written this myself Bandrui. I heard some of the negatives ie cost of living myself but when you've made the decision its sometimes surprising how people come around. Good luck on your journey home:thumbup:

Fish n Chips 56 Mar 9th 2011 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9227500)
Car is not brand new, but new to my nice sister. :thumbsup:

It's a Vauxhall Corsa, automatic and silver in colour, 4 years old.

Barb, That sounds great to me, perfect for parking in those tight multi storey car parks, I think you will have a Blast...

Fish n Chips 56 Mar 9th 2011 3:52 am

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 9228069)
Fish, I don't recall, how long is it since you've last been home for a visit? You're quite right, everything moves on and I've worried about these same issues in the past but after going back last October for first time in 33 years I was just amazed at how comfortable I felt over there. It seemed like I'd just been away (meaning here in Canada) for a visit for awhile. Yes, there are changes and some things might seem a bit strange at first but I think if you have family around you it's bound to make a difference and help you adapt. I might be in for a big shock 3 weeks from now when I take the plunge for good but have to say I'm very optimistic and I'm sure you'll be just fine too!:)

Hi Curley...

I haven't been back since August 09, infact weve been back most years usually for two weeks..

First time in 33 years, Yikes they would have never worked for me, the longest period that weve not been was three years, 96, 97, 98.

When I'm there Im totally relaxed while secretly in my element, I dont even think about the Usa, I just enjoy everything, Its where I truly belong.

We have a lot of family over there, they make it fun too, My most important loss will be not being able to see my two Sisters and their families, we are close and get along great, I love um all, it will be very difficult leaving them behind, I try to look the positive side knowing I will be able to give them all a place to stay in the UK, I think it would be much easier if we were all living on the East coast of USA, living on the west coast makes a trip home very lengthy.

Boodles Mar 9th 2011 5:10 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9227703)
Hey! I like Onslow, and his Daisy too. You leave my TV watching pleasures alone, Mr. Cheers! :);):frown:

Yes, me too, I love Onslow, wouldn't want to live with him I think, but love him anyway and his Daisy:)

sallysimmons Mar 9th 2011 5:29 am

Well, thanks to everyone who gave us book suggestions but I finally found a branch of the local library that is happy to take our books - actually, they're thrilled as they have some big book sales coming up. We're piling up boxes in the basement and off they'll go in the next few days. I don't mind the wait to go home if we're actually taking positive steps :D

I thought of all of us when I heard this song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwcsVEwJyj8

The chorus goes:

"We've got open arms
for broken hearts
Like yours my boy
come home, again."

The last "everyone's here" made me get a bit teary :(

Pistolpete2 Mar 9th 2011 5:30 am

[QUOTE=cheers;9227084]Now I'm confused? I wasn't like Onslow when I left and I wouldn't want to be like him when I return.

And always seems to have a "headache".

islandwoman120 Mar 9th 2011 6:20 am

[quote=Pistolpete2;9228517]

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9227084)

And always seems to have a "headache".

hence my sympathies go to ...Daisy, long suffering woman, sister of our Hyacinth and our Rose. :)

islandwoman120 Mar 9th 2011 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Boodles (Post 9228477)
Yes, me too, I love Onslow, wouldn't want to live with him I think, but love him anyway and his Daisy:)

Ditto. :)

cheers Mar 9th 2011 6:39 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9228594)
Ditto. :)

No one goes to bat for Richard????

Cookie Mar 9th 2011 7:22 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9227405)
I can't believe that I could be so lucky as to have this happen. I think I worked 2 1/2 years in England. Hope no-one resents me for it.

If you read the further into 'who will win and who will lose" the newspaper article says:

Who will get this pension?

You might think everyone would qualify for a “universal” pension but this is unlikely to be the case. As is the case now, it’s likely that you will need to build up a national insurance record to qualify. Previously there was some suggestion that this could be a “citizen’s pension” payable to all UK residents, but this seems to have been ruled out.

It's all guesswork of course. It is a few years away and could all change or cancelled by then.

Mummy in the foothills Mar 9th 2011 7:43 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9228632)
No one goes to bat for Richard????

I will. Poor Richard long suffering husband to that PITA woman. I'm amazed he hasn't killed her and stuffed her in the shed.

DDL Mar 9th 2011 7:49 am

"I must know what colour the Queen will be wearing. One has a duty not to clash." -Hyacinth Bucket

GagainPEI Mar 9th 2011 8:06 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9228513)
Well, thanks to everyone who gave us book suggestions but I finally found a branch of the local library that is happy to take our books - actually, they're thrilled as they have some big book sales coming up. We're piling up boxes in the basement and off they'll go in the next few days. I don't mind the wait to go home if we're actually taking positive steps :D

The chorus goes:

"We've got open arms
for broken hearts
Like yours my boy
come home, again."

Sally, I don't know where you found that, but thankyou. Salford. I worked there for the best years' of my life.

Valerie

bandrui Mar 9th 2011 8:14 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9228513)

The chorus goes:

"We've got open arms
for broken hearts
Like yours my boy
come home, again."

You're killing me :lol:. Between this and the "Welcome Home" video posted on the Flight Tracker forum, I've shed a few tears lately. Tears of joy at the thought of going home. It is hard now to know why it took me so long to make the decision but I suppose everything happens in its right time.
I just got off the phone with my brother in the UK and my Auntie Margaret (Mother's sister). In the old tradition, she was the youngest so stayed at home to take care of my Grandmother and never married. She considers all of us nieces and nephews her children. She is thrilled, but I can't live in Stoke-on-Trent having been raised in the South East.

bandrui Mar 9th 2011 8:17 am

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 9228069)

Fantastic. Good for you. I understand perfectly. I am sure you will be fine.

(BTW my GM's nickname was curly top, and then mine as your picture could be a picture of me as a child.)