British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

HighTide Mar 3rd 2011 4:30 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl (Post 9209203)
That's great news, David. That didn't take too long after all. You just have enough time to enjoy a few farewell parties before you head home for Spring in Devon:thumbup::thumbup:

Almost there now....Hope to move in on my return from Vancouver.:)
Sad day today saying goodbye to so many people. Tomorrow morning the boxes will be picked up which will be a huge relief. All that's left to do is pack my suit cases and complete the sale of the car. Oh and yes can't forget the cat although it's not going to be a great experience for her. She does not travel well in the car let alone a plane. I think I may need ear plugs for the car journey from Heathrow to Devon.;)

Boodles Mar 3rd 2011 4:32 am

Originally Posted by HighTide (Post 9214693)
Sad day today saying goodbye to so many people. Tomorrow morning the boxes will be picked up which will be a huge relief. All that's left to do is pack my suit cases and complete the sale of the car. Oh and yes can't forget the cat although it's not going to be a great experience for her. She does not travel well in the car let alone a plane. I think I may need ear plugs for the car journey from Heathrow to Devon.;)

Hello David, I sent you a PM. Elizabeth

Boodles Mar 3rd 2011 4:37 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9214307)
Wow, that's great.

Hello, Bandrui, this is an interesting connection, I lived on Salt Spring Island for a couple of years when there were only about 5000 people there and not very much of a town.

Easterndawn Mar 3rd 2011 4:41 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9214126)
I have obviously been gone far too long :rofl: Three? Orange? and what may I ask is a Dongle? :rofl::confused::o

Three, Orange and O2 are only a few of the mobile and broadband providers in the UK. You can usually find them on the high street and of course the advertise a lot on the TV. A dongle is what I receive mobile broadband on without having a land line. It is not as stable as a land line and more expensive but you can take it anywhere to get internet access. When I got here it was a good thing for me as I was not sure where I was going to living for a long time, now I am considering a land line, wireless broadband, once this contract runs out in May. I am sure there is a more technical term for this piece of equipment but I don't know what it is, when I first heard of such a thing I thought it must be someone playing a joke on me as it sounded quite erotic :rofl:

HighTide Mar 3rd 2011 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Easterndawn (Post 9214718)
Three, Orange and O2 are only a few of the mobile and broadband providers in the UK. You can usually find them on the high street and of course the advertise a lot on the TV. A dongle is what I receive mobile broadband on without having a land line. It is not as stable as a land line and more expensive but you can take it anywhere to get internet access. When I got here it was a good thing for me as I was not sure where I was going to living for a long time, now I am considering a land line, wireless broadband, once this contract runs out in May. I am sure there is a more technical term for this piece of equipment but I don't know what it is, when I first heard of such a thing I thought it must be someone playing a joke on me as it sounded quite erotic :rofl:

My sister and brother in law spend quite a lot of time on their narrow boat and a friend told her she should get a dongle. They were in Leamington Spa at the time but she was unable to complete the transaction at the Orange shop because she did not have a debit card. When she came back to Devon I called her on the land line from my mobile pretending to be Orange from Exeter saying " they had received a message from their Leamington shop regarding her dongle and would she like to come into the local shop. She said yes and that she would bring someone as she did not know much about dongles.:rofl: I was trying to contain myself from laughing on the other end and then said would her husband require a dongle also or would they be interested in the family dongle". At that point I cracked up and she finally realised it was me.:rofl:

islandwoman120 Mar 3rd 2011 7:47 am

Originally Posted by HighTide (Post 9214749)
My sister and brother in law spend quite a lot of time on their narrow boat and a friend told her she should get a dongle. They were in Leamington Spa at the time but she was unable to complete the transaction at the Orange shop because she did not have a debit card. When she came back to Devon I called her on the land line from my mobile pretending to be Orange from Exeter saying " they had received a message from their Leamington shop regarding her dongle and would she like to come into the local shop. She said yes and that she would bring someone as she did not know much about dongles.:rofl: I was trying to contain myself from laughing on the other end and then said would her husband require a dongle also or would they be interested in the family dongle". At that point I cracked up and she finally realised it was me.:rofl:

Too funny! It is good to see you on here - I guess you have a bit of time on your hands just now. Safe - and quiet - trip to your new West country home. I did the cross country USA trip with a cat before - not a lot of fun. Turn up the music as that helps to drown out the yowls.

bandrui Mar 3rd 2011 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Boodles (Post 9214708)
Hello, Bandrui, this is an interesting connection, I lived on Salt Spring Island for a couple of years when there were only about 5000 people there and not very much of a town.

You would see lots of changes now. I am sure I would have loved it back then. Thank goodness there are still a solid core of people who have lived there for 30 years or so and keep development in check. Good to hear from you Boodles.

bandrui Mar 3rd 2011 8:40 am

Originally Posted by HighTide (Post 9214666)
I read your post a few days ago and noticed you were from Salt Spring Island. If my partner and I had not been succesful in finding a property in England we had planned to move from Vancouver to Salt Spring. We were actually there in November looking at a few places. Having house sat for our friends there for several years now we grew very fond of the island.

We gave ourselves 3 months to check out England and see if it is really where we wanted to be and without a doubt England won out. We are about to move into a house in Brixham in Devon in which we plan on renting out the cottage which is on the property as well as doing B&B. It was a tough decision as Canada has been good to me but after 37 years I am drawn back to the West Country.
The whole process has gone amazingly well for us and I am back in Vancouver making the final arrangements for shipping our boxes etc. which are being picked up tomorrow morning and will arrive in 2-3 months. I head back on Tuesday with the cat. I am hoping we will have the keys to our new house by then and I will be able to go directly there.
I wish you luck with your plans and incidently we found the property prices in Devon more reasonable than Salt Spring.:thumbsup:

Very interesting to read your post. I have been tracking your progress there with interest. I took many happy family holidays in Devon as a child ... the usual places... Paignton, Babbacombe,Covington village and went to Torquay on my honeymoon :rofl:
I think you have made the right decision. Your place in Brixham sounds fantastic. You started me thinking about a seaview... I have always loved the sea. Ferry prices are rising here by leaps and bounds and I am looking forward to being able to jump in my car and travel to many diverse places in England. Hope those keys are ready for you when you get there. How'd you like that windstorm last night?

bandrui Mar 3rd 2011 8:42 am

I would be very happy for any information you care to share about shipping company and costs from here.

jasper123 Mar 3rd 2011 9:29 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9213656)
Rodney, Did you read my post from DVLA where they said they can't help me find my old UK DL? I am very interested to find out how you were able to get info on yours. Sounds as though our situations were identical. I got my UK DL at 16 or 17, been gone 40 years. I take it your UK licence was from before 1973 too. Can you help? I really want to be able to drive a standard (even though I shall be using the other hand :blink:

Bandrui,
Yes i did read your post from DVLA and cant understand why you are having so many problems,
All I did was call the main DVLA number, 0300 - 7906801 I explained to the man that I passed my test in UK in 1962 and had a UK drivers licence till I started to live in USA which was 1977, I told him I have misplaced my U.K. licence so I just need to renew it, he just simply asked for my full name and also the address i lived in the UK at the time I held my UK licence,
He fed that info in his computer and hey presto within seconds he said Oh yes there you are, and it says that you surrendered your UK licence in the US In 1977 in exchange for a US licence, the US informs us whenever a British person turns in there licence.
So he just said all you need to do is pick up the form D.I. at your post office and fill it out and attach a passport size photo, and also your U.S. drivers licence and we will send you your renewal licence within 3 weeks, on the form just write somewhere in big letters that this is (just a renewal) there will be no charge!!!! he said that as im now 65 i will have to renew the licence in five years when im 70, and thereafter every 3 years,
Now listen i think the reason you are having problems is cause you emailed them, ---- BAD CHOICE, I have found whenever you are dealing with any Government dept of even a business its always better to talk to them either face to face or on the phone, ---- THATS how you get results!!!!
Good luck and let me know how you get on wont you.

jasper123 Mar 3rd 2011 9:52 am

Great news David, I still cant believe how quickly you and partner did everything over here in U.K. you looked around for the right place with the right property and you made your minds up right away and bought it, then back to Canada to tie up all the loose ends and pack your trunks to ship,
Wow all I can say David is this --- if someone puts there mind to something and really wants it to happen then they can make it happen!!!
I am much a simular person myself, forge ahead, no what you want, and stay focused.
Good luck David in your new life,
Rodney.

Englishmum Mar 3rd 2011 12:55 pm

Hey David (High Tide) -

Don't forget to post your flight info so we can all track your flight as you return to live in the UK.....there is a "Bon Voyage" thread just for tracking flights at the very top of the 'Rovers Return' board. :)

All the very best to you, your partner and your cat.

(I'm sooo tempted to be like Mrs. Slocombe and say 'pussy' (cat) but that's not PC is it? ;) )

DDL Mar 3rd 2011 1:26 pm

Mobile phone info:

When we first arrived last August, we bought cheap little pay-as-you-go phones from Tesco because we weren't sure what our job situation, accommodation, etc. would be like and I must say that for our needs we have been very happy with them, especially the automatic top-up option.

However...

...now that Tony's got a full-time, permanent job he treated himself last week-end to the purchase of an iPhone 4, through 3. :confused: :unsure: :)

The phone itself was normally £160 but they were running a special and he paid £120. Monthly cost will be £35 (2-year contract) which includes 5,000 minutes, 5,000 texts and all-you-can-eat data. (I love that terminology for unlimited data - and it truly is unlimited.)

While we were at 3, I asked about 'family plans' but was told that they really don't do those here, that for the most part they only sell individual mobile phone plans. The clerk said it gets too messy with 'family plans' when partners split up, etc., and I suppose that makes a lot of sense.

Tony has been wanting an iPhone for years but where we lived in South Carolina, there just wasn’t any decent coverage. I’m so glad he’s finally been able to get his boy toy and is he ever having fun downloading the various apps! :thumbsup:

There's one app that if you hear a piece of music playing (like on the telly or radio or someone's computer) you just wave the phone in front of it and it will copy the song onto your phone, show you the name of the song, who sings it, and then provides links to the lyrics, where to buy it, etc.

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G !!!!!!!!!

sallysimmons Mar 3rd 2011 1:41 pm

So good to hear from you David. Best wishes for the journey - especially to the poor cat!

jasper123 Mar 3rd 2011 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9215514)
Mobile phone info:

When we first arrived last August, we bought cheap little pay-as-you-go phones from Tesco because we weren't sure what our job situation, accommodation, etc. would be like and I must say that for our needs we have been very happy with them, especially the automatic top-up option.

However...

...now that Tony's got a full-time, permanent job he treated himself last week-end to the purchase of an iPhone 4, through 3. :confused: :unsure: :)

[F phone itself was normally £160 but they were running a special and he paid £120. Monthly cost will be £35 (2-year contract) which includes 5,000 minutes, 5,000 texts and all-you-can-eat data. (I love that terminology for unlimited data - and it truly is unlimited.)[/FONT]

[F we were at 3, I asked about 'family plans' but was told that they really don't do those here, that for the most part they only sell individual mobile phone plans. The clerk said it gets too messy with 'family plans' when partners split up, etc., and I suppose that makes a lot of sense.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[F has been wanting an iPhone for years but where we lived in South Carolina, there just wasn’t any decent coverage. I’m so glad he’s finally been able to get his boy toy and is he ever having fun downloading the various apps! :thumbsup: [/FONT]

[F one app that if you hear a piece of music playing (like on the telly or radio or someone's computer) you just wave the phone in front of it and it will copy the song onto your phone, show you the name of the song, who sings it, and then provides links to the lyrics, where to buy it, etc. [/FONT]

[F !!!!!!!!! [/B][/FONT]

Denise are u kidding? an APP WHERE YOU JUST POINT at the TV and it picks up whats playing and all the info about the song ----- WOW how on earth do they do that, as you say --- AMAZING :D

Celticspirit Mar 3rd 2011 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9215514)
Mobile phone info:

However...

The phone itself was normally £160 but they were running a special and he paid £120. Monthly cost will be £35 (2-year contract) which includes 5,000 minutes, 5,000 texts and all-you-can-eat data. (I love that terminology for unlimited data - and it truly is unlimited.)

While we were at 3, I asked about 'family plans' but was told that they really don't do those here, that for the most part they only sell individual mobile phone plans. The clerk said it gets too messy with 'family plans' when partners split up, etc., and I suppose that makes a lot of sense.

Tony has been wanting an iPhone for years but where we lived in South Carolina, there just wasn’t any decent coverage. I’m so glad he’s finally been able to get his boy toy and is he ever having fun downloading the various apps! :thumbsup:

There's one app that if you hear a piece of music playing (like on the telly or radio or someone's computer) you just wave the phone in front of it and it will copy the song onto your phone, show you the name of the song, who sings it, and then provides links to the lyrics, where to buy it, etc.

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G !!!!!!!!!

I love my iPhone 4 and that app sounds fun. What is it called please?

bandrui Mar 3rd 2011 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9215136)
Bandrui,
Yes i did read your post from DVLA and cant understand why you are having so many problems,
All I did was call the main DVLA number, 0300 - 7906801 I explained to the man that I passed my test in UK in 1962 and had a UK drivers licence till I started to live in USA which was 1977, I told him I have misplaced my U.K. licence so I just need to renew it, he just simply asked for my full name and also the address i lived in the UK at the time I held my UK licence,
He fed that info in his computer and hey presto within seconds he said Oh yes there you are, and it says that you surrendered your UK licence in the US In 1977 in exchange for a US licence, the US informs us whenever a British person turns in there licence.
So he just said all you need to do is pick up the form D.I. at your post office and fill it out and attach a passport size photo, and also your U.S. drivers licence and we will send you your renewal licence within 3 weeks, on the form just write somewhere in big letters that this is (just a renewal) there will be no charge!!!! he said that as im now 65 i will have to renew the licence in five years when im 70, and thereafter every 3 years,
Now listen i think the reason you are having problems is cause you emailed them, ---- BAD CHOICE, I have found whenever you are dealing with any Government dept of even a business its always better to talk to them either face to face or on the phone, ---- THATS how you get results!!!!
Good luck and let me know how you get on wont you.

Hi Jasper123,
I will definitely phone.I have a feeling though, that they had a record for you because you still had a licence in 1973 when they transferred to the new system and I didn't. I leftin 1970. Thanks for the info. I do intend to pursue it.
Cheers,
Linda

MNandMN Mar 3rd 2011 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9214215)
Three and Orange are the names of mobile phone companies. A dongle (yes, what a name!) is a device like a thumb drive that you put into the USB port in your computer and it enables you to connect to the internet without having to have an Internet Provider contract. Have a look: http://www.broadband-expert.co.uk/dongle/

Make sure you get a dongle that will work in the area where you are going to use it. I bought one when we moved house, as it took Sky a month to install the phone and broadband into the new house. Even though the area I live in was shown as being covered by the company it didn't have enough signal. None of the dongles I tried would work in this area, I had to drive to McDonalds and have a cup of coffee and use their wi fi (which is a cheap way of using internet if you take your laptop or phone). I am not sure how secure it is though, I wouldn't do internet banking etc there.

cheers Mar 3rd 2011 8:59 pm

Rodney, I'm just back from the shops and it cost £71.43 for the monthly shop.
Here are somethings that maybe out of line as far as price. A tomato was £.70 (each) Bread £.60 (Wheat and sliced, this not the norm and we go to an outlet).

£1.49 a pound Butter
£.83 eggs dozen
£.89 lettuce
£1.60 celery
£.70 per tomato

They have been saying on the telly that prices of food is going through the roof. So? People eat too much anyway.

cheers Mar 3rd 2011 9:13 pm

[QUOTE=Beedubya;9210617]A day's shopping in the North West of England. :thumbsup:

OK end of panic she was on on Tuesday.

islandwoman120 Mar 3rd 2011 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9216289)
Rodney, I'm just back from the shops and it cost £71.43 for the monthly shop.
Here are somethings that maybe out of line as far as price. A tomato was £.70 (each) Bread £.60 (Wheat and sliced, this not the norm and we go to an outlet).

£1.49 a pound Butter
£.83 eggs dozen
£.89 lettuce
£1.60 celery
£.70 per tomato

They have been saying on the telly that prices of food is going through the roof. So? People eat too much anyway.

Where are you these days my man? You sent those items in pounds, not dollars. Have you travelled whilst I was asleep or are you still in the sandy climate? If so, are you just being polite to us Brits in the UK, or is this one of your windups? :p:)

cheers Mar 3rd 2011 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9216339)
Where are you these days my man? You sent those items in pounds, not dollars. Have you travelled whilst I was asleep or are you still in the sandy climate? If so, are you just being polite to us Brits in the UK, or is this one of your windups? :p:)

I was trying to make it easy for Rodney.
Sorry, didn't mean to rattle the natives.:p

windsong Mar 3rd 2011 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9215067)
I would be very happy for any information you care to share about shipping company and costs from here.

I would love to know, too.

julierandall Mar 3rd 2011 10:37 pm

I could not sleep - tho hubby snooring! We go to market in Southampton n get all our fruit n veg from (they say) local farmers - much cheaper! Roney lives about 30 miles from us - theink he should find a nearby market too! Ha

We are both still upset - not going to go into it again - but thanks to all who made such lovely comments. :)

Hubby not too happy but I am adjusting I think. TY all - sry still not quite used to this site and how it works.

Regards

Julie and hubby x
:)

julierandall Mar 3rd 2011 10:46 pm

Darn it - so sorry - that should have read Rodney - so very sorry Rodney my typing not as good as it should be for a damn 4 yr old!

And Rodney, if you ok me asking you, how is your sis? I read you living with your Mom - and that you have children - are they helping you and your sis? Now that you back in UK?

Kindest regards, Julie:)

HighTide Mar 4th 2011 1:20 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9215067)

Well we are using Tippet-Richardson. Today 73 boxes and 13 other pieces including 3 small chairs, a coffee table and another table were picked up. We packed the 73 boxes ourselves and for that reason insurance would not cover breakage. The furniture they wrapped so is covered.

They are going as part of a shared 40 ft.container and should be on their way by the end of the month. I am told it will be between 6-8 weeks but heard from some else that it only took 3 weeks. We will have to wait and see.
Our original quote was for $3245.00 based on 230 cft. I will know tomorrow the exact weight and costing and will let you know. They are extremely professional and have been there to answer our questions throughout the process. I cannot believe we had this much after being quite brutal in getting rid of so much.

HighTide Mar 4th 2011 1:32 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9215169)
Great news David, I still cant believe how quickly you and partner did everything over here in U.K. you looked around for the right place with the right property and you made your minds up right away and bought it, then back to Canada to tie up all the loose ends and pack your trunks to ship,
Wow all I can say David is this --- if someone puts there mind to something and really wants it to happen then they can make it happen!!!
I am much a simular person myself, forge ahead, no what you want, and stay focused.
Good luck David in your new life,
Rodney.

Thanks so much Rodney for your good wishes. You said it "new life" and that is exactly how it feels to me. I have been back in Vancouver for about 2 weeks and although I love this city I cannot wait to get back to the UK next week and the new life which is about to really commence now. I have never felt happier about a decision.
Have really enjoyed reading your posts and catching up a little when I have had some down time. So pleased that you are back with your Mum but really sorry to hear your sister is so sick.
I do feel sad at times that I was not able to return sooner while my Mum was still alive. She died suddenly aged 87 a few years back. I was back a couple of months prior when she was dancing at my niece's wedding.
I hear I have been missing some quite lovely weather back there. Oh well I'll soon be there and will have to get right into some gardening.:)

HighTide Mar 4th 2011 1:38 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9215539)
So good to hear from you David. Best wishes for the journey - especially to the poor cat!

Thanks Sally.........I will sure be glad when she is in her new home. I am sure she will be mad at us for days. :unsure:

HighTide Mar 4th 2011 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9215466)
Hey David (High Tide) -

Don't forget to post your flight info so we can all track your flight as you return to live in the UK.....there is a "Bon Voyage" thread just for tracking flights at the very top of the 'Rovers Return' board. :)

All the very best to you, your partner and your cat.

(I'm sooo tempted to be like Mrs. Slocombe and say 'pussy' (cat) but that's not PC is it? ;) )

I will be sure to post my flight on there ......thanks for your good wishes. I love Mrs Slocombe and her pussy (cat). :rofl: There you go we are both guilty of being not PC now.;)

HighTide Mar 4th 2011 1:48 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9214980)
Too funny! It is good to see you on here - I guess you have a bit of time on your hands just now. Safe - and quiet - trip to your new West country home. I did the cross country USA trip with a cat before - not a lot of fun. Turn up the music as that helps to drown out the yowls.

My days have been real busy here but now as I wind down in Vancouver I finally have some time to catch up with UK friends on here. Yes the music will be turned up for sure.;) It will be a very long day/night/day before arriving in Devon. I hope it does not take to long to clear her through in Heathrow.

Boodles Mar 4th 2011 2:21 am

Originally Posted by HighTide (Post 9216798)
My days have been real busy here but now as I wind down in Vancouver I finally have some time to catch up with UK friends on here. Yes the music will be turned up for sure.;) It will be a very long day/night/day before arriving in Devon. I hope it does not take to long to clear her through in Heathrow.

Hi David, will your little moggy be sedated for the journey and if so, how long will the medicine be affective for?

HighTide Mar 4th 2011 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Boodles (Post 9216876)
Hi David, will your little moggy be sedated for the journey and if so, how long will the medicine be affective for?

No sedation....they say it is too dangerous We will just use a product called Rescue Remedy ....comes in various forms and will relax her a little without any danger. They also make collars which really seemed to work when she went to stay in her temporary home when we were away for 3 months. I will put her favourite brush in the kennel as they told me they would brush her. No amount of brushing is too much for her. Whenever I come in the door she literally runs to where her brush is and throws herself on the floor.:lol:

HighTide Mar 4th 2011 2:49 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9216478)
I would love to know, too.

Have posted some info. Will update when I have final figure......EEK

Easterndawn Mar 4th 2011 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9215954)
I love my iPhone 4 and that app sounds fun. What is it called please?

Denise, I just hope that Tony does not get as fustrated as I have been with Three, there call centres are all in India, so you will always get someone who does not speak very good English and cannot help you if you go off script. I have had them lie to me, caused two payments to be taken out of my account in one month then tell me that I was lying, that this could never happen. I will be getting almost the same deal that you got through Orange, but the initial payment is only £110 but the biggest reason I am going to be switching is that most of the time you will be connected to the call centre in Newcastle.

bandrui Mar 4th 2011 6:13 am

Originally Posted by HighTide (Post 9216753)
Well we are using Tippet-Richardson. Today 73 boxes and 13 other pieces including 3 small chairs, a coffee table and another table were picked up. We packed the 73 boxes ourselves and for that reason insurance would not cover breakage. The furniture they wrapped so is covered.

They are going as part of a shared 40 ft.container and should be on their way by the end of the month. I am told it will be between 6-8 weeks but heard from some else that it only took 3 weeks. We will have to wait and see.
Our original quote was for $3245.00 based on 230 cft. I will know tomorrow the exact weight and costing and will let you know. They are extremely professional and have been there to answer our questions throughout the process. I cannot believe we had this much after being quite brutal in getting rid of so much.

I think that's comparable to what I will have. Just a few small pieces of furniture like my Indian teak coffee table. Sell the rest. I have my Grandmothers china cabinet, dining table and chairs from England but feel that I might have to let them go. Couple more questions: does weight come into it (I know I'll be keeping a fair number of books)? Did they provide the boxes? Included in price? What size are they?
At this point I am sorry I live on an island which will surely add another grand. Oh well. Can't change that now.
I am really enjoying all your posts and following your path as you head back home. I think I shall feel as you do when I head back home. It's already as if my soul is already gone from here and I have just made the decision. Thanks for taking the time and very best wishes for the beginning of your new life.
Linda

bandrui Mar 4th 2011 6:17 am

An open question: In my limited research it seems that one-way tickets on airlines are about 3x as much as round-trip. :blink: Do people go home on a round-trip ticket and just not come back?:confused:

MNandMN Mar 4th 2011 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Easterndawn (Post 9217036)
Denise, I just hope that Tony does not get as fustrated as I have been with Three, there call centres are all in India, so you will always get someone who does not speak very good English and cannot help you if you go off script. I have had them lie to me, caused two payments to be taken out of my account in one month then tell me that I was lying, that this could never happen. I will be getting almost the same deal that you got through Orange, but the initial payment is only £110 but the biggest reason I am going to be switching is that most of the time you will be connected to the call centre in Newcastle.

I was with Orange a few years ago, and getting to speak to someone took ages, if you ever got through. I am now with 02 and it is much better, also I always try to ring early in the morning, much easier to get through before the rest of the country is awake!

islandwoman120 Mar 4th 2011 8:11 am

Originally Posted by HighTide (Post 9216899)
No sedation....they say it is too dangerous We will just use a product called Rescue Remedy ....comes in various forms and will relax her a little without any danger. They also make collars which really seemed to work when she went to stay in her temporary home when we were away for 3 months. I will put her favourite brush in the kennel as they told me they would brush her. No amount of brushing is too much for her. Whenever I come in the door she literally runs to where her brush is and throws herself on the floor.:lol:

Not too high maintenance, is she! :) Rescue Remedy is great - I use it myself, and in the cream formula for bruises too.
All the best, Rosie

islandwoman120 Mar 4th 2011 8:13 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9217136)
An open question: In my limited research it seems that one-way tickets on airlines are about 3x as much as round-trip. :blink: Do people go home on a round-trip ticket and just not come back?:confused:

Correct. I came that way, so did Rodney and I don't know who else.

Fish n Chips 56 Mar 4th 2011 8:18 am

Originally Posted by HighTide (Post 9216753)

Thanks for your shipping info David I found it helpful.

Ive been reading all your posts, you've done very well, everything seems to have gone to plan, I wish you the best luck and hope all your belongings make it in one piece, Ive got a feeling they will...