British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

Beedubya Jan 23rd 2011 12:50 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9120747)
Barbara,

Any news on the London job?

NOooooo, BUT it is chugging along nicely, I have to put in a report to my manager so he can present it to the hierarchy in the ivory tower justifying my position in London, I have been working on it all weekend. :sneaky:

I will give it to him tomorrow and HOPEFULLY will hear this coming week. The job itself is turning out to be much more than I hoped for. :thumbsup:

On another note I have FINALLY started moving things, my place looked like a tip already as I have been getting things out of cupboards and drawers and deciding what is going/staying etc. I am using the Rodney method of 4 piles!! :thumbsup:

I LOVE books and have/had about 200, by a process of elimination today and utter ruthlessness it is now whittled down to about 30!!! :eek:

Beedubya Jan 23rd 2011 12:54 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9120847)
No Cheers if I were not fortunate enough to be living with my Mum I would no way have enough money to survive on S/S plus a few quid from the British pension for time served, ---- no indeed not, --- not if I had to pay rent for a one bedroom flat, well having said that I could just squeeze by maybe if the rent was say no more then £350 per month (Inclusive of council tax) and not having a car of course and just the free bus pass ----- which incidently I love :) :D :thumbsup:
PS but try finding a one bedroom flat here for £250 or £300 + council tax, especially in the South of England where I am,

You could go into sheltered housing and get Rent Assistance, many people in the UK live on just their old age pensions. But that is of course people on a full UK pension not when it is coming from another country, you know I haven't even thought that far ahead yet!!!

Hoping to win the lottery before then LOL!! :thumbsup:

Beedubya Jan 23rd 2011 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9121408)
:eek: shame on you posting that picture I'm so hungry and that looks delicious :lol:

Me too!! Though mine would have a lot of mushrooms and a slice of black pudding!!! :thumbsup:

Celticspirit Jan 23rd 2011 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9121408)
:eek: shame on you posting that picture I'm so hungry and that looks delicious :lol:

Me too!!!

Celticspirit Jan 23rd 2011 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9121438)
Did you know that there is a Costco in Glasgow (and many other cities in the UK)?. Perhaps they have them. I believe that you can get a day-pass from Customer Services to look around the warehouse to see if you would want to join.

If you have a US-issued Costco card you can also use it in the UK and other Costco's worldwide (and vice-versa). I think it may even be cheaper to join in the US - the card is issued on the spot - and then use it for the next year in the UK.

http://www.costco.co.uk/Locations_ho...asgow_x_O.html

http://www.costco.co.uk (for all other locations)

None in Northen Ireland alas.......we met a lady in Sydney who had lived in California for 30 years.......she was soooo excited that Costco was opening there. I think it is already in other Australian cities. it is so much better than Sam's.

Beedubya Jan 23rd 2011 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9121676)
None in Northen Ireland alas.......we met a lady in Sydney who had lived in California for 30 years.......she was soooo excited that Costco was opening there. I think it is already in other Australian cities. it is so much better than Sam's.

What is Costco and should I be getting a card? According to somebody on here they are going to have Costco's in the UK........I do hate to miss out on a bargain!! :sneaky:

cheers Jan 23rd 2011 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9121689)
What is Costco and should I be getting a card? According to somebody on here they are going to have Costco's in the UK........I do hate to miss out on a bargain!! :sneaky:

Nay, Nay, Nay lass.
There are about 20 Costco Warehouses in the UK and in order to become a member you have to be in a business (like Quantas:lol:)
It is much easier to become a member in the US.
It costs $50 a year for a membership here in the US. We are not a member this year because we don't need to buy in quantity and we like keeping the $50.:D
There is one in Liverpool and one in Chester. Take your pick.
Let me know if I can answer anymore about them

Beedubya Jan 23rd 2011 2:01 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9121721)
Nay, Nay, Nay lass.
There are about 20 Costco Warehouses in the UK and in order to become a member you have to be in a business (like Quantas:lol:)
It costs $50 a year for a membership here in the US. We are not a member this year because we don't need to buy in quantity and we like keeping the $50.:D

Ah I see like a Cash and Carry warehouse where you have to buy a whole carton of baked beans not just one tin?

BTW there is no "u" in Qantas, because "u" are the YOU!! :lol:

trottytrue Jan 23rd 2011 3:04 am

Place by the sea meant within the UK.

Beedubya Jan 23rd 2011 3:21 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9121769)

Maybe not Torquay itself, but it must be warm down there as they have palm trees, in fact that is the only place I saw them in the UK though that was many years ago it stuck in my head. Probably would be a bit touristy, maybe a nice little village nearby.

Another nice seaside town up North that I never got around to seeing is this one, not sure about the weather though......

http://www.grangeoversands.net/

trottytrue Jan 23rd 2011 3:26 am

Found this article in Telegraph: thehttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/offshorefinance/8055346/More-than-half-of-British-expats-do-not-want-to-return-home.html

Beedubya..I once stayed with my friends Aunt in Torquay had a nice holiday.

Mummy in the foothills Jan 23rd 2011 3:32 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9121769)

Oh OK then how about Guernsey or Jersey, they are UK aren't they, every time I see them on TV or in pictures it looks lovely and sunny. My Nana went on holiday there in summer back in the 70's and always came back with a sunburn :D

trottytrue Jan 23rd 2011 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9121796)
Oh OK then how about Guernsey or Jersey, they are UK aren't they, every time I see them on TV or in pictures it looks lovely and sunny. My Nana went on holiday there in summer back in the 70's and always came back with a sunburn :D

I been to Jersey and I really liked it I also like the Isle of Wight so many nice places.

trottytrue Jan 23rd 2011 3:41 am

This is good for those who wanted to calculate how much money they would need to retire in the UK
http://annuity.telegraph.co.uk/retir...ign=retirement

dontheturner Jan 23rd 2011 3:48 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9121433)
That reminds me of the not too complimentary statement "he knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"

Something to think about.

Why back home in the states we could get that twice as big at half the price! lol

Perhaps, that is where the obesity is coming from? just Sayin'

Beedubya Jan 23rd 2011 3:48 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9121801)
I been to Jersey and I really liked it I also like the Isle of Wight so many nice places.

My nan used to live on the Isle of Man, supposed to be really nice there too, in fact everywhere is just bloomin' luverly. :thumbsup:

('cept Runcorn of course LOL!! :sneaky:)

dontheturner Jan 23rd 2011 3:54 am

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9121591)
Thank you Rodney,
Yes I am excited, and just a little sad, saying goodbye is never easy. I have been packed for a while, and also have 4 suitcases...:)
I will keep in touch and let evryone know how its going. Its going to be different I know, but I am looking forward to the new adventure..:)

Don, Miracle whip, is a form of mayonaise..;)
Jackie

Jackie,Oh! Like Salad Cream then? Some are fine, others I do not care for. Safe Journey - Love Don xx.

dontheturner Jan 23rd 2011 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9121610)
Are you doing a bit of Match making there Don? ;)

Barb - Jealousy will get you everywhere! Ask Rod - He asked her for a get together! Don

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 23rd 2011 5:14 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9121721)
Nay, Nay, Nay lass.

Let me add, Costco is run by a man who cares about his employees, unlike GREEDY Walmart/Sams/Asda, he's a hands on type, the type of person Id love to work for.

I reccomended Costco to my best friend in the UK and he loves it, No dissapointments, Its not just bulk food, you can buy Tvs, computers, Electrical, Tyres, phones, garden supplies, eyes glasses, prescriptions, Gas and much more.

aviva Jan 23rd 2011 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9121890)
Let me add, Costco is run by a man who cares about his employees, unlike GREEDY Walmart/Sams/Asda, he's a hands on type, the type of person Id love to work for.

I reccomended Costco to my best friend in the UK and he loves it, No dissapointments, Its not just bulk food, you can buy Tvs, computers, Electrical, Tyres, phones, garden supplies, eyes glasses, prescriptions, Gas and much more.

And loads of food that is not in bulk. Probably 75% is not bulk. I'm so happy, I can walk to my Costco. Read about a nutritional study out of UC San Diego, I think, and their dog food brand (lamb and rice) ranks near the top in nutrition...and I can walk.....4 blocks.....walking now.....that's a must when moving back. Has to be a Costco around.

Beedubya Jan 23rd 2011 6:01 am

For those of us without a car in the UK, this seems a pretty good deal, Train and Car......

http://carhire.thetrainline.com/?clientId=255554#quote

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 23rd 2011 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9121931)
For those of us without a car in the UK, this seems a pretty good deal, Train and Car......

Looks Great to me, Handy, thanks Barb...

jasper123 Jan 23rd 2011 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Tyrone (Post 9121058)
Hi Jasper123
I have been enjoying your observations and comments on your return home. I live in Westchester, NY which is about 30 mins ride by train to Manhattan. I left NI after college in the late sixties and landed in NY and stayed a while before travelling and living in Toronto and Sydney in the late 70's and back to NY in 1980. I am eligible to register for Medicare this November and I have decided next year I will retire in NI as I have lots of cousins back there. My main reason for leaving family here and returning is that I have a fear of ending up in a nursing home in NY State. As an american citizen it will be easy to come back and forth to shop and visit friends and my docs for yearly checkups as they are direct daily flights into Belfast. I did look into purchasing a home in NI but I was advised that it was cheaper for me to rent and live of the 401K interest along with my monthly SS so that I have to find out about. I have started keeping a folder with all the great ideas that I see posted and I appreciate all the input and as I gain info on my journey I will go in and list it. I basically have 18 months to go, I am going back in April or May this year for a quick research visit and ask lots of questions, I will not get a pension at home although for a laugh I asked as I worked all my college years in the summer they said I would qualify for 89p! I did not ask anything else as I was LOL with the gentleman. Anyway this is a brief synopsis of my story and I am full of fear but will go foward with the plan as leaving home as a young graduate and returning as a senior person is going to be a challenge so bring it on.
There is no place like home.....look forward to reading your listings as I am really a secret lurker!
Tyrone

Thanks Tyrone for telling us a little of your life, well you certainly have led an interesting life havent you, So you are planing on returning to Northern Ireland in about 18 months, good on ya !!!!!
And as you say its only a short flight to N.Y. from N.I. and you can always visit friends,
Well all I can say is you must beat just about everyone here on time away from UK,
I was 40 years away altogether --- all three countries, and you a bit more then that I think,
Well Tyrone unless you prefer being a lurker on this thread all your life why dont you knock on the door a bit more often, Im sure everyone on here would love to hear your storys and comments,
Take care,
Rodney.

dunroving Jan 23rd 2011 10:32 am

Originally Posted by callé (Post 9121206)
you are too right. No matter how prepared you think you are or how British in the blood, it is a real culture shock. Not because it isnt what you want or who you are..but because its all of a sudden 'unfamiliar'. I think you cant really get past this point until you really do feel that all is familiar again and that takes time. I think we all look back at some point and think 'why did I make my life so difficult? Things were not perfect , but they were comfortable.'
I have been through some rough spots in the past five years, and even though I started to feel settled and happy...it was only recently, like in the past year that I can honestly say that its all familiar now and I know what I am doing. I am really comfortable now. really really comfortable. :)
Its a relief because now I finally feel that I am in my own element and yes, I truly am British in my blood. But you cant rush this, not after spending so many years away and learning different ways. It does take time. Lots of time. ;)

It's great to hear that you are settled in - I remember following all of your QM2 posts back when you were getting ready to leave. You are right, for some people it can take ages to really feel at home back in the UK, especially if you have been away a long time. I'm still not settled after nearly 5 years (far from it, actually), though I think if I were retired it would be a lot easier (most of my stress and unsettled status is to do with my job, and knock-on effects on my social life or lack of time for a social life).

dunroving Jan 23rd 2011 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9121931)

Be advised that thetrainline.com site gets you to the last step and only then advises you that it will slap on a credit card charge. :thumbdown:

This site gives you the same tickets at the same price and (last time I used it) there was no additional charge for paying by CC:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

jasper123 Jan 23rd 2011 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Tyrone (Post 9121106)
Thanks Aviva.
I have not heard that so I will check it out next week and make a posting on the answer.

Yes Aviva you are absolutely right, a few months before you reach the age of 65 when living in US the Medicare send you a letter with 2 boxes on, --- you must tick only one, and you just send it back to them, ---- one box says do you want just the free portion of medicare which is Hospital only, or second box asks do you want to enrol in both Hospital and medical,
Me as I was returning to England I just of course checked the hospital only box, and about a week later I got my medicare card --- and on it --- it says hospital only which of course is the (FREE PART) its not really worth much cause it only covers hospital treatment if you are admitted you know for surgery or whatever, but it dont pay the whole bill but it certainly would help if you were living in US still,
So as you say your social security check will have no deductions at all,
Rodney.

DDL Jan 23rd 2011 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9121785)
.....it must be warm down there as they have palm trees, in fact that is the only place I saw them in the UK

Well Barb you'll be pleasantly surprised here in the London area - there's quite a lot of palm trees around here, and JJ mentioned having one in his garden up in Norfolk.....

That was one very shocking thing when I first visited London: that there were palm trees here! Coming from Charleston, SC - where they're "a dime a dozen", it was a pleasant discovery.

DDL Jan 23rd 2011 11:03 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9121811)
Perhaps, that is where the obesity is coming from? just Sayin'

You will actually find, Don, when you return to the UK that portions here have become much larger than they used to be. I was very surprised by that fact.

It has been my personal experience over the past 5 months that plates of food brought to the table when eating out in a pub contain much more than I can even eat. It's interesting because 7 years ago, when I lived here before, I didn't find that to be the case.

Things have probably changed since you've been away. Now, 2% of the UK population are categorized as being morbidly obese and the NHS spends £10,000 on each one of those who have gastric bypass surgery.

62% of Britons in general are categorized as being 'obese' or 'overweight'.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8646677.stm

jasper123 Jan 23rd 2011 11:05 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9121015)
Rod,
Thanks.

Lets see if I had a monthly income of £1000 and found a place up north for £400 a month. That would leave £600 for food, power and such. I may make it?

Living expenses include:

Tax, Home Ins., TV Lic., Water?, Phone/internet, food and elec/gas.

Dunroving,

What do you think of an income of £1,000? Would a person make it without a car.

I think if you had an income of £1,000 per month clear, then yes you could probably make it as a single person, if your rent was no more then say £500 + £100 council tax,
you should have enough left to pay all the bills and also maybe able to even eat now and again :thumbsup: but thats of course without a CAR AND HAVING A FREE BUS PASS,
Rodney,
PS no I havent bought any warm clothing since Ive been home, not had to --- brought all my five warm jackets with me and all my sweaters too,

DDL Jan 23rd 2011 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9121890)

It's really a shame, too, isn't it because when Sam Walton started the chain, he cared about his employees as well. Then as the business grew and became more corporate, things began to get ugly. At least he had good intentions in the beginning.

Sadly, these things happen. Everywhere.

dunroving Jan 23rd 2011 11:10 am

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9122368)
You will actually find, Don, when you return to the UK that portions here have become much larger than they used to be. I was very surprised by that fact.

It has been my personal experience over the past 5 months that plates of food brought to the table when eating out in a pub contain much more than I can even eat. It's interesting because 7 years ago, when I lived here before, I didn't find that to be the case.

Things have probably changed since you've been away. Now, 2% of the UK population are categorized as being morbidly obese and the NHS spends £10,000 on each one of those who have gastric bypass surgery.

62% of Britons in general are categorized as being 'obese' or 'overweight'.

- Yes, and Scotland is up there in the front runners, when you look at the different UK countries separately.

In terms of portions, I think you are right. When I go for my weekly Friday lunch of fish, chips and peas over in the student refectory, the dinner ladies know now that all I want is a "children's portion" of chips and peas - honestly, it's like a chip and pea mountain otherwise! (I can't stand to waste food).

DDL Jan 23rd 2011 11:19 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9122384)
- Yes, and Scotland is up there in the front runners, when you look at the different UK countries separately. In terms of portions, I think you are right. When I go for my weekly Friday lunch of fish, chips and peas over in the student refectory, the dinner ladies know now that all I want is a "children's portion" of chips and peas - honestly, it's like a chip and pea mountain otherwise! (I can't stand to waste food).

Glad you mentioned that, and might be a good tip for returnees...I always ask for the "children's portion" at the local chippy and sometimes at the pub I'll just go with a starter and a side. The sight of too much food on a plate is the quickest way to ruin my appetite!

dontheturner Jan 23rd 2011 11:27 am

You will actually find, Don, when you return to the UK that portions here have become much larger than they used to be. I was very 2% of Britons in general are categorized as being 'obese' or 'overweight'.

Hi DDL, On the obedity issue, I did know that UK is going the way of US. I am on the Mailing list, for our local Telford & Wrekin Council, and yes, there are more potholes than ever, but they have put out, 16 teams of workmen, to go around dealing with the problem, now that the extreme winter weather has passed, and are asking residents, to ring a hotline number, and report them, to the the team leader.

Hope other Authorities are doing likewise. regards don.

dunroving Jan 23rd 2011 11:56 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9122416)
Hi DDL, On the obedity issue, I did know that UK is going the way of US. I am on the Mailing list, for our local Telford & Wrekin Council, and yes, there are more potholes than ever, but they have put out, 16 teams of workmen, to go around dealing with the problem, now that the extreme winter weather has passed, and are asking residents, to ring a hotline number, and report them, to the the team leader.

Hope other Authorities are doing likewise. regards don.

Glasgow is top of the league in reported potholes, confirming what I observed on another thread. Honestly, they are huge, and everywhere in Glasgow!

The local authorities can't keep up, TBH, and are tending towards temporary patches/filling with soft fill just so they can say it's been repaired and therefore avoid lawsuits for broken suspensions, dinged alloys, etc.

jasper123 Jan 23rd 2011 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Easterndawn (Post 9121253)
Havent found any either had a friend bring some over when she was visiting Canada in the fall. It is similiar to mayo but with a kick to it, I actually like it much better than mayo and love it with chips

yep love my Myricle whip, much different then Plain old Mayo,

SomersetGirl Jan 23rd 2011 12:22 pm

Yes, I found that too when we were there last year. My impression was that eating out (portion size, choice of food and service) had changed much more in the past 5 years or so than in all the previous years we had been away (30). Anyone else notice that?

When we were in Cowbridge in S. Wales we had the best italian meal in a small restaurant just off the main street, near the town hall, sorry can't remember the name of it, but it was amazing, and really reasonable.

jasper123 Jan 23rd 2011 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9121457)
I mentioned that invitation for Americans in the UK to see the Kings Speech, well here is the finished production.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...ca/9368666.stm

Thanks Cheers, very good, me and Mum and her lady friend are going to see the movie next Thursday, Vue Cinema group, which seems to be the big chain here, Regular price Adult £6.10, ---- but Seniors price for 60 and older is £4.60
Rodney.

jasper123 Jan 23rd 2011 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9121032)
My son lived in M., among other places, during his two years in England and it was the worse place he lived. Having said that, if a person went 20 miles away it could be nice.

On the interest rates. It seems to me if people are not borrowing then interest rates should go down. Just sayin'.

Wheres M.? :confused:

dunroving Jan 23rd 2011 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9122572)
Wheres M.? :confused:

Middlesborough (it was in the post that Cheers was responding to)

jasper123 Jan 23rd 2011 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9121626)
We have Miracle Whip in Australia, it's a Mayonaisse, quite white in colour, is that the same one you mean Rodney?

Yes BARB AND ITS DELICIOUS, Like mayo with a kick