Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Oct 1st 2011, 7:01 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers
Is boodles saying the type of visa she got didn't cost.

This is an eye opener and prior to the posts of today I thought you just showed up at Heathrow and said I'm English and she's with me and that's it.

Old Oct 1st 2011, 7:12 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Trotty, I haven't been on here for a few days and when I saw your post about the visa my heart sank and I felt tears in my eys.

You have been through sooo much and are so strong and inspirational to lots of people on here.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, just a little further down now, but your time will come and I can't wait to see that day when you are on flight tracker.

Take care and next time check the paperwork YOURSELF (like Judes I'm being politically incorrect too - don't leave it to a man!!) and maybe even get your DD to check it too, 3 pairs of eyes are better than one.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I can't believe you don't shop at markets!!

I love them and Denise maybe it's an American thing because most of your food is hermetically sealed or covered up with plastic and that's what you are used to??

And wow those Mr Kipling mince pies with custard look right up my street.
Believe me, the toxins in plastic wrapped food are significantly worse:

http://www.ecologycenter.org/factshe...theffects.html
Old Oct 1st 2011, 7:33 am
Just a Walk in the Park

SoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really nice

I was so anxiety ridden over the paperwork for my citizenship ap that I took months to even start the process. I worried over getting the paperwork organized, ordering certificates from various places, etc. If I had just plowed ahead I would have had the process over with months before.

The passport ap is a different story. I ended up having to get my referee to sign the ap 3 times. Once on the ap the consulate sent me- this ap was incorrect, out of date by six years and the processing office would have refused it. Secondly when I printed the new ap off the website- this had the wrong guidance notes, so I filled a part of it incorrectly and with the wrong color ink. Thirdly because I had intuition that there was just something wrong with the second ap and after going back to the website numerous times I finally realized they didn't have the current notes/instructions for the current ap.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Judes....So true..... but if the shoe was on the other foot can you imagine the chat I would be getting.:curse: The difference being men always have an excuse.......WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME......
Trotty, I been thinking about you all night and the financial implications. These are my thoughts for what they are worth

wen we started the whole process of returning to the UK we made the educated ( we thought) decision to send so much back by the smallest shipment availhable at a cost of $2500, on top of that, despite being what we thought was careful, we were charged around $400 at the airport . How stupid were we, if I was doing this all over again I'd send nothing but the barest treasures, and even them I'd cut by half. We have the dearest sweetest house, but now we have a shipment arriving and I have no idea where we are going to put it, DH is going to tidy our clapped out garage and line it with tarps so as we can store it there until we can make room for it. I am sure loads will go to charity. Trotty be ruthless and take zilch, charity shops have loads of treasures, local papers always have for sale ads and you can save a small fortune in shipping and offset this setback. I am not trying to make little of your plight but I can see a way you can kind of reimburse yourself, just trying to give you a little light at the end of a long dark tunnel. reading this thru, it just sounds a bit of a stupid thread but I will send it anyway. and you are so right, men have this knack of turning their mistakes
into your problem I cant get you out of my head if it's any consolation, if kind thoughts work you will get thru this, just keep drinking the wine !!!
Old Oct 1st 2011, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bandrui
Believe me, the toxins in plastic wrapped food are significantly worse:

http://www.ecologycenter.org/factshe...theffects.html
Yes! I am that way too, as is my Thai Wife - don't you just hate the plastic?
We know which we would rather eat. Free range any time!
Old Oct 1st 2011, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Charleygirl... Sounds like you have an eye for a bargain. Would love to see pictures of your cottage. Remember when your children arrive you are in charge its a new start for you all. No sliding back

I wonder if all of you who have moved back can give us an idea as to how you are managing with making new friends and getting a social life going. I think it must be easier for couples that singles. Are you finding people friendly and do they welcome you back as a Brit or a Foreigner. Are you finding it easy to get back into the English way of talking. I am hoping when I get back that I become one of the many not one of the few. Not that I mind but its always strange when after all these years I am asked am Irish or Scottish. They cannot quite get my accent. When I am home they also know I am not from the area so again I get that question. Where are you from Course Lancashire people do have a definate accent.
trotty, its been about 5 days since Ive been on line, been spending lots of time at the beach Hmmmmm so hot for England, temps in the 80,s
so Ive been trying to catch up reading from the front ---- backwards so many posts, sorry to hear of your husbands denial of his visa, yes one has to be very careful when filling out the forms and making sure that all the documents are enclosed, more so for U.K. i would imagine,

I just think now of when I filled out my application for U.S. citizenship, before I started the form filling I read all the pages of the form on line, then made a list of all the info that I had to look up, like --- divorce decree from my marriage in the 80,s and I had to research and dig out all my old passports to find (ALL) my trips back to England in the 36 years, all the trips and dates had to be filled in, I had a total of
(six) 3 or 4 week holidays in all those years, and as you know so much info you have to look up, I filled the Application in on line, took me a long time cause I had to be so very careful that every single question was answered correctly, then once all the pages were filled in completely with no mistakes I checked it, then checked it again, and then a third time, then printed it out and signed it and mailed it off with all the documents needed and the $685 money order, and I had no problems, got my USC in 9 weeks from start to finish,
So anyway I hope your hubby can get it all sorted out and corrected, and most of all I hope you dont loose that $1300 cause thats a lot of money to loose --- that would make me quite upset to say the least

Responding to the question above ---- making new friends, well speaking for myself my situation is the same as 6 months ago, ---- and I have been home now for 10 months and have not one friend ---- (YET)
But the people in general are quite friendly in Portsmouth where I live, and I have not ever felt that I was not welcome anywhere, or made to feel like someone from another country, even though I cant seem to drop my weird accent so they must know Im from somewhere else, a lot of people have asked me if Im from Canada, one person thought that I was a New Yorker

And trotty you hit the old nail right on the head when you said maybe its easier for couples to make new friends then for a single person like me, or if you are a single Woman I think would be easier then for a Man as most Woman talk more in general, especially to members of there own gender, and Women seem to be natural mixers,
Take care, and try not to be too hard on your Hubby, and I hope everything gets sorted out soon for you,
Rodney.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
I cant seem to drop my weird accent so they must know Im from somewhere else, a lot of people have asked me if Im from Canada, one person thought that I was a New Yorker
Rodney.
No one has noticed that I may have had a foreign accent until recently and I think it is because I have been watching the BBC TV.
OK one word that I pronounce the English way, "work". I think I say "wirk". The US would sound like "wurk"
Old Oct 1st 2011, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

No one has noticed that I may have had a foreign accent until recently and I think it is because I have been watching the BBC TV.
OK one word that I pronounce the English way, "work". I think I say "wirk". The US would sound like "wurk"
What British accent do you have left?

where are you originally from?
Old Oct 1st 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
What British accent do you have left?

where are you originally from?
UK
Old Oct 1st 2011, 6:15 pm
Home Sweet Home

UK
He's a Scouser.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

He's a Scouser.
Ahh, thats the bit I needed!

Thanks
Old Oct 1st 2011, 6:29 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

He's a Scouser.
That explains a lot
Old Oct 1st 2011, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Four and a half months since Windsong posted (May 11th) so has anyone heard privately from her?

Cheers
Old Oct 1st 2011, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Four and a half months since Windsong posted (May 11th) so has anyone heard privately from her?

Cheers
I thought it was longer...wonder where she is?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.