Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 24th 2011, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

judes.....I really thought I was having it bad till I read your posting. I am not even going to think about when we get to the UK and what we have to go through.

The dog had her first visit to the vets today and he is getting an appointment with the Fed vet so she will be seen by him. He is leaving the titre test till just before we leave although he is going to do some blood work to test for the rabies in January. Last time she failed it being a puppy at that time she didnt have a build up of the antibodies in her or whatever it is they are suppose to have. Have to buy her the crate so she will get use to it. I am sending her regular crate with the moving people so she will have something familiar when we get to the UK.

I got a phone call back from the Salvation army and they are all set to come on the 10th September as we are going them so much they needed to do a special run to pick it all up.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance...ff-the-lights/

Most retirees from the UK go to Spain.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:46 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
judes.....I really thought I was having it bad till I read your posting. I am not even going to think about when we get to the UK and what we have to go through.

The dog had her first visit to the vets today and he is getting an appointment with the Fed vet so she will be seen by him. He is leaving the titre test till just before we leave although he is going to do some blood work to test for the rabies in January. Last time she failed it being a puppy at that time she didnt have a build up of the antibodies in her or whatever it is they are suppose to have. Have to buy her the crate so she will get use to it. I am sending her regular crate with the moving people so she will have something familiar when we get to the UK.

I got a phone call back from the Salvation army and they are all set to come on the 10th September as we are going them so much they needed to do a special run to pick it all up.
Don't forget the DEFRA rules change in 2012 I don't think that she'll need the titre, just proof of the shot 21 days before leaving and a chip for ID.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:55 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
DDL.....I keep telling myself 'one day at a time'. When I moan my niece in the UK tells me to stop it as this is what I have wanted for years.
I know she is just half-joking but really, you wouldn't be human if you weren't stressing. They say moving house is one of the most stressful things you can do and you're not just moving house, you're uprooting your whole life!

I think that everyone making this move has to allow themselves to feel as crappy as necessary - that goes for you too judes. Cry, shout .. heck, kick things if it helps (but not pets!). We're all going to go through it when our time comes.

Lord, can you guys remember when you first came over? How easy it all was? How laid back you were about making a new life? I got married, moved out of my house, and flew to Canada all in the same weekend!! But I was 24, so after a good night's sleep I just got on with it. Now I worry about every little aspect of the move. If only we could get our youthful attitudes back.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Don't forget the DEFRA rules change in 2012 I don't think that she'll need the titre, just proof of the shot 21 days before leaving and a chip for ID.
so know you got me wondering, our friends are keeping our dog until mid Dec when she has completed the quarantine requirements, but if they keep her until jan 1st no need for anythimg except the chip and shot which she has already had, am I right ?
Old Aug 24th 2011, 3:50 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
so know you got me wondering, our friends are keeping our dog until mid Dec when she has completed the quarantine requirements, but if they keep her until jan 1st no need for anythimg except the chip and shot which she has already had, am I right ?
It's here, theres a chart half way down and USA is a Listed non EU country so it's the first chart.
Microchip
Rabies shot 21 days before going to UK
Documentation (which shows the chip ID number and when the shot was given.
I read the pdf rules from the site and it looks so much more simple now, now blood test, no tick treatment, no 6 month wait.
I am debating taking our cat, now I'm 50/50 I know she hates the cold and loves the heat.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DDL
I know, it's outrageous, isn't it. And there will be more to come once you get here. £50 to take the Life in the UK test, and then at some point before his ILE expires, he'll have to get ILR which will cost at least £972 (current cost, it usually goes up every spring). Then, if he decides to go for UK citizenship, it'll cost £836 plus an extra £80 to cover the ceremony.
Well - good job you are not from Thailand like my Wife! - at least she has to be here for a year before she can enrol on an English Language course at our local college, at a cost of £360, PLUS then it is £1,800 for the life in the UK test, and application, for a settlement Visa, which if refused, you have lost, and must pay for again. Don

Last edited by dontheturner; Aug 24th 2011 at 8:51 am. Reason: E&oe
Old Aug 24th 2011, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
I know, it's outrageous, isn't it. And there will be more to come once you get here. £50 to take the Life in the UK test, and then at some point before his ILE expires, he'll have to get ILR which will cost at least £972 (current cost, it usually goes up every spring). Then, if he decides to go for UK citizenship, it'll cost £836 plus an extra £80 to cover the ceremony.
Yikes!!! Not sure if I should let my DH see these numbers.....or perhaps it's better to be prepared ahead of time so as to avoid a blast of those unrepeatable words Trotty's DH let fly!!

Tina
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:59 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Yikes!!! Not sure if I should let my DH see these numbers.....or perhaps it's better to be prepared ahead of time so as to avoid a blast of those unrepeatable words Trotty's DH let fly!!

Tina
I don't think Trotty's DH needs to take the Life in UK test, as he is over 65. There is 50 pounds saved!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
I don't think Trotty's DH needs to take the Life in UK test, as he is over 65. There is 50 pounds saved!
ha! well, every little helps....

Tina
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

It's here, theres a chart half way down and USA is a Listed non EU country so it's the first chart.
Microchip
Rabies shot 21 days before going to UK
Documentation (which shows the chip ID number and when the shot was given.
now, now blood test, no tick treatment, no 6 month wait.
I am debating taking our cat, now I'm 50/50 I know she hates the cold and loves the heat.
Yeah I think I might call our local number, Im not sure if the documentation is signed by a DEFRA vet or regular vet, even that helps, as the DEFRA vet charges $114 !

Old Aug 24th 2011, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Ah only saw Sally's post last night as I couldn't open this in work and the job in Dover already closed yesterday.

I couldn't open it from the address given last night for some reason, but could this morning, I have emailed them and we shall see what happens.....

I already saw the Peverel job, but DDL if you see any other non Peverel jobs I would be very interested, thanks for thinking of me.

I'm a Lady.
Good luck on the job search Bee and if you end up moving to Dover I'm 5 miles along the road!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 3:42 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

It's here,
Our cat came with us from North Carolina sub-division detached house to the UK equivalent. He was a stray we took in, prefers to be outdoors. He had to carve out a new territory here and accept a smaller one than he had in US, just as we did with the house.
When the sun is out he makes the most of it, although at as little as upper 70's he gets in the shade. When it's colder he has to settle for sleeping in the house. He has been through all four seasons now and seems no worse for it.
Attached is pic of him this afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-img00045-20110824-1555.jpg  

Last edited by J.J; Aug 24th 2011 at 3:57 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 3:53 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you are moving to and what your plans are. Our cat is an outdoor cat who wouldn't be happy in a flat. Plus we want to do LOTS of travelling in the UK and Europe, so it wouldn't be fair on her to be cooped up in a flat, with someone popping in just once a day to feed her.

But if you're moving to the wilderness of Wales...
Old Aug 24th 2011, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I emailed Rodney last night. Actually it was the middle of the night I was so wound up I could not sleep. So I got on the computer and did some work and then sent an email to Rodney.

I got a reply this morning. He said he has been feeling under the weather since his operation and hasnt felt like doing much. He told me to tell you all he will be back in a few days.

Judes..... from what I can gather from my vet you have to get a certificate signed by the Defra vet. I think I will check it out today just to make sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.