Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Beedubya
NOOOO!!! Don't go Sally, we are all entitled to our own opinions.
I second that....don't go Sally
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:31 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Um, I was just saying not to worry if you don't like the Lake District - the world is a big enough place for all of us to find our favorite spot. I think the area where you live is fabulous but it's too far away from my family and friends so it's not an option for me.

I read back what I posted and I don't see what I said that offended you but whatever it was, I'm sorry.

I think it's time for a little break from this thread for me
That's twice in two days you've said something perfectly reasonable and apparently ticked someone off (on both cases not the person you were responding to).

You're on a roll!!

Don't take a break from the thread, just take a break from the easily offended.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Um, I was just saying not to worry if you don't like the Lake District - the world is a big enough place for all of us to find our favorite spot. I think the area where you live is fabulous but it's too far away from my family and friends so it's not an option for me.

I read back what I posted and I don't see what I said that offended you but whatever it was, I'm sorry.

I think it's time for a little break from this thread for me
No, Sally. I enjoy your posts. Pull up a chair and stay awhile .
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Goodness - I didn't realize your cat was that old!! Of course, if you keep cats indoors they can live to 20 and beyond. I'm so glad she did okay on the flight and is settled in. 10 minutes under a bed is nothing - when I got my kitty from the animal shelter 5 years ago she spent about a week under the bed - the only way I knew I had a cat in the house was because the food and water bowls kept getting empty and the litter-box filling up - I didn't see her for a week - poor things was terrified - don't know why as I live by myself. She is great now - a little lap cat. Glad yours is okay - all the best to you for moving into your new home, getting a car, etc. I am envious - I love Devon and Cornwall - my favorite part of England.
A friend of mine brought a cat back from China. Ugly thing (sorry). It has fangs and looks like a tiger. Anyway, it's been years and it's still skittish. I am told he doesn't like women because there were women capturing his friends to put in the pot .
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorac05
I am so looking fowards to be back in the Spring to see my parents garden blooming - they have a great garden and I want to buy a house with a small one so I can sit out and enjoy my morning coffee.
Hooray! There are still gardeners in England!
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:41 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
That's twice in two days you've said something perfectly reasonable and apparently ticked someone off (on both cases not the person you were responding to).

You're on a roll!!
That's why I thought a break might be in order

You are all very sweet. I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself today so the nice comments are much needed.

I just feel like I'm wishing my life away and that's not a good thing. Does anyone else feel like that? Dunrovin, I know how much you want to get back here ... do you find yourself not fully participating in life where you are? I've tried joining things and taking classes, but it just doesn't really work. I think it's just my nature - once I've made a decision, I want to get on with it.

Maybe it will be different if we ever make a firm plan to leave and I do think my husband is coming round to the idea a little more every day. Patience is a virtue, right?

David, I so envy you the shopping for the new house. That must be exciting.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Hooray! There are still gardeners in England!
My Mom can't go into a Garden Center without buying a plant
Old Mar 14th 2011, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lorac05
My Mom can't go into a Garden Center without buying a plant
I can't wait to get into our garden in Brixham to see whats growing. It has a greenhouse which will be a first for me having been a condo dweller for the last 30 odd years. I did however have a roof top garden. There was also a fig tree and the rest will be a surprise.....oh yes loads of rhubarb too.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rain you say. I've got to have my rain. I can live without sunshine but I need rain to eat and I think its a precious commodity.

Just did a quick trip this afternoon to Arizona. There and back in an hour. Now there is a place that needs rain.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

That's why I thought a break might be in order

You are all very sweet. I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself today so the nice comments are much needed.

I just feel like I'm wishing my life away and that's not a good thing. Does anyone else feel like that? Dunrovin, I know how much you want to get back here ... do you find yourself not fully participating in life where you are? I've tried joining things and taking classes, but it just doesn't really work. I think it's just my nature - once I've made a decision, I want to get on with it.

Maybe it will be different if we ever make a firm plan to leave and I do think my husband is coming round to the idea a little more every day. Patience is a virtue, right?

David, I so envy you the shopping for the new house. That must be exciting.
Sally, I know what you mean about wishing your life away. I feel that way too, although as I mentioned in an earlier post, now that I know we are definitely going back to England, even though I don't know when, I am trying to really appreciate the things in Canada that we won't have in England (lots of sunshine, blue skies, space, free parking, roads almost free of traffic, peace and quiet). Somehow this takes my mind off all the negatives.

So glad to hear your husband is coming round a bit.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sallysimmons;9239719]I didn't know you had asked me a question! Can't keep up

There seem to be quite a few different buildings in Kendal right on the water and I don't know how good they all are, but the one we stayed in was lovely. I'm not really a fan of new buildings, but as new buildings go it was very nicely done. Very high spec finish in all the rooms and a balcony looking out over the river. There was a 2-bedder for sale for £250K when we were there, and for the area I thought that was good value.

I'm sure I saw that condo complex on Google Earth and they still had the scafolding up. I also got to look inside and saw how nicely they were finished.

I go back and forth on the old and the new. I like the new stuff when it comes to the winter and hopefully they are built to withstand the cold.

Maybe you and I can have our own chat on all things in the Lakes since some think it rains there. Have they ever been outside after a rain and smelt the air and the plants. Heavenly.

Another good thing about Kendal is the express trains that go South.

Thanks for answering my question!
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:42 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers

Another good thing about Kendal is the express trains that go South.
Yes! Another interesting place - and less expensive than Kendal - is Grange-over-Sands just to the West. It has direct trains to Manchester and used to be a seaside resort but some river changed course and pushed Morecambe Bay much further away. So now apparently you can see the bay from Grange, but what used to be beach has been grown over with seagrass. So the 'promenade' goes alongside fields instead of sand!

But the reason it's interesting is that it has a microclimate (something to do with Morecambe Bay) that makes it the warmest place in the North of England. It also gets more sunshine than most other places in the north.

My mum said "Oh it's lovely there but I think it's for older people." I said "mum, I am an older person." She said "Oh that's right. I always forget you're aging too!"

Will definitely check it out this September.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighTide
I can't wait to get into our garden in Brixham to see whats growing. It has a greenhouse which will be a first for me having been a condo dweller for the last 30 odd years. I did however have a roof top garden. There was also a fig tree and the rest will be a surprise.....oh yes loads of rhubarb too.
That is so great David. In Devon..big garden with greenhouse... I'd be in my glory. I think that's why I love Spring so much, seeing the garden magically transform from bare soil to lush plant life. Nature's miracle.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Bed and Breakfast near Kendal.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...Gallery&ino=25
Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Which newspaper would you recommend in the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.