Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jun 29th 2012, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers
I think you have heard me say several times that it is up to my wife. She is an American and the decision is up to her. This is her homeland and I understand that. She is everything to me. You would think she was English because of everything English she watches on television. She loves England and English people but she likes America too.
Cheers
Yes I do remember you told me cheers that your Wife is American,
I didn't mean any disrespect to you in my comment, of course your circumstances are much the same as so many people on here, its so hard when you have family still in the U.S.
I sometimes forget how fortunate I was in my situation when I made my decision to come home, it was Just me, on my own, no family in the U.S.
and very few friends, all my family are in England ---- at least whats left of them, so all I really had to consider was me and how I felt about everything,
But I came home mostly to be able to spend some time with my 93 year old Mum, and to get to know her again, but also I came home for economic reasons, and I didn't want to grow old in America,
Take care cheers,
Rodney
and enjoy your state of the art new car 38 mpg is great too isn't it, even my little Hyandi did only 25 mpg, its lovely though buying a new car, its fun breaking it in, and I love that very distinct new car smell inside.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 8:12 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I can understand your position and don't disagree with your feelings about those issues, but for me as a self employed person its certainly a different story...

Healthcare affects me, the costs alone are outrageous, its a fixed business cost wether I get work or not, with our bad economy and low amount of business over the last few years its taking a bigger part of my earnings pie, I cant afford the healthcare coverage I used to have, If I were in the UK Id have the same coverage as everyone else, here I certainly have less and at a higher price.

Guns, It didn't bother me so much when I lived in the Wild West (Rockies), but here on the west coast the amount of Murders and Robberies are insane, we have one or two everyday, its a real concern as some of the areas I have to work in are rough, lots of shady characters hanging around, I'm sure I saw a drug deal going down this morning just 30 feet from where I was working.

Religion, it didn't bother me so much when I worked for someone else, as at least I could speak my mind, but since I've been self employed I've learned to keep my opinions to myself, some of the people I work for are very religious, they rattle off their stuff and Id like to voice my opinion but I think I might lose the account, so I bite my tongue and try to avoid talking about religion and politics, its just better to keep my mouth shut but it sure is frustrating.
Hi Fish

I can't quite remember if you are near the portland area of Oregon? Is there really a lot of crime in that area? How is the economy there? I imagine a bad economy might make you yearn for the UK all the more, and especially since health care will be free.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Hi Fish

I can't quite remember if you are near the portland area of Oregon? Is there really a lot of crime in that area? How is the economy there? I imagine a bad economy might make you yearn for the UK all the more, and especially since health care will be free.
Hello UKwinds.

I live 60 miles from Portland and close to another crime spot, my home is in a decent area but there is lots of criminal activity in the area where I work, I would broaden my business and do retail work but to be honest some of the people here scare me, I don't feel safe, on the other hand many people are extremely nice, Oregon is a wonderful place to live as far as scenery goes, very green and the coastline is awesome, I love that about Oregon and will miss it if and when I leave.

Crime, you name it we have it, people will steal anything including city statues, wire used for powerlines and even bronze vases and markers from graveyards, Drug problems are major and murder is just a normal part of life, we have lots of homeless people begging for money...

The economy seems stagnant, Home sales are poor with many on the market for a few years, We have Lots of repo's I've recently seen two on my street, it hurts the market and kills peoples ability to move on, I have seen a few new homes being built, that's a positive thing, we haven't seen that in years.

I've been supporting myself by spending my retirement savings for a few years now, I never thought the slump would last this long otherwise I might have just ditched and run, with my parents health situation as it was that wasn't really an option Id considered.

I believe England is struggling, but still I think its a better life over there, after living here 36 years I still feel like a fish out of water, Politics, Religion and the Gun mentality gets on my nerves, plus the people living in America seem to hate each other, The healthcare issue continues to bug me, I wish the people in this country would wake up, they are so baffled by the lies and hate being preached.

To say I think about the UK every hour that I'm awake would not be a lie, maybe every minute would be closer to the truth, its where I feel safe, I just hope we can make a go of it when we finally make it back if that ever happens...
Old Jun 30th 2012, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Hello UKwinds.

I live 60 miles from Portland and close to another crime spot, my home is in a decent area but there is lots of criminal activity in the area where I work, I would broaden my business and do retail work but to be honest some of the people here scare me, I don't feel safe, on the other hand many people are extremely nice, Oregon is a wonderful place to live as far as scenery goes, very green and the coastline is awesome, I love that about Oregon and will miss it if and when I leave.

Crime, you name it we have it, people will steal anything including city statues, wire used for powerlines and even bronze vases and markers from graveyards, Drug problems are major and murder is just a normal part of life, we have lots of homeless people begging for money...

The economy seems stagnant, Home sales are poor with many on the market for a few years, We have Lots of repo's I've recently seen two on my street, it hurts the market and kills peoples ability to move on, I have seen a few new homes being built, that's a positive thing, we haven't seen that in years.

I've been supporting myself by spending my retirement savings for a few years now, I never thought the slump would last this long otherwise I might have just ditched and run, with my parents health situation as it was that wasn't really an option Id considered.

I believe England is struggling, but still I think its a better life over there, after living here 36 years I still feel like a fish out of water, Politics, Religion and the Gun mentality gets on my nerves, plus the people living in America seem to hate each other, The healthcare issue continues to bug me, I wish the people in this country would wake up, they are so baffled by the lies and hate being preached.

To say I think about the UK every hour that I'm awake would not be a lie, maybe every minute would be closer to the truth, its where I feel safe, I just hope we can make a go of it when we finally make it back if that ever happens...
If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Why? Just want to know if you would be retired in the UK.
Cheers
Old Jun 30th 2012, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Why? Just want to know if you would be retired in the UK.
Cheers
Im 56, I dont expect to retire till 70 at the earliest if ever, I will work as long as I am fit to do so, I was out of work for a year 15 years ago, I found it boring, so at least now retirement doesn't turn me on, as I get older and slow down my ideas may change, we will see.

By the way, what kind of car did you buy? thanks...
Old Jun 30th 2012, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Im 56, I dont expect to retire till 70 at the earliest if ever, I will work as long as I am fit to do so, I was out of work for a year 15 years ago, I found it boring, so at least now retirement doesn't turn me on, as I get older and slow down my ideas may change, we will see.

By the way, what kind of car did you buy? thanks...
I like retirement really well. I wish I could have retired at 16 but didn't have the means.

The new car is a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco. It had 6 miles on when I picked it up on Tuesday. Today it has 56 miles on it. I still haven't figured out how start it from the outside or use the hands free phone. We love it so far. I was able to program the garage door opener so that was an accomplishment.

Cheers
Old Jun 30th 2012, 9:28 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello UKwinds.

Fish

I have been considering a move to the Portland Oregon area to attain an advance degree.Thought the moderate cost of living might make the time I spend in school a bit easier.I've heard about some things you mentioned on Oregon, like the substantial theft problem, horrible housing market and a hippie mentality for drugs, not to mention a strong stance on political matters. I didn't know about the violent crime rates nor the homeless issue.I admit that does concern me. I agree with your thinking about the guns,politics and religion. Many Americans don't have their priorities correct on those topics. Quite a few vote against their own interest because of resentment for certain groups of people.Sadly most voters are ill informed.

If you had to do it over again and decided to live in America, would you have picked Oregon to call home?

I hope the housing market picks up steam soon, so that you can sale your house. The major news broadcast recently did announce that sales of existing homes have improved slight in most major markets.The up tick usually happens first in large metro areas before it spreads to the outter areas. So fingers crossed.

Its a tough economy every where and some places are still in recession. That fact makes moving to a new place very risky and scary. Will have to carefully examine my options.

I did hear that the UK was back in recession but those austerity measures seem to have made things worse than first thought.They are now saying the economy is in a deeper recession than forcasted. I will say that if a person has about $150.000 in hand, and living in the UK with proper government health care, ect , that might be the better deal. Mainly because things will improve eventually. I say in 3-5 years.

Would you move back with less than $150K? Would you go back with $25K-50K? What area in the UK would you move to and is that different to the city you are from?

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jun 30th 2012 at 9:40 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish

I have been considering a move to the Portland Oregon area to attain an advance degree.Thought the moderate cost of living might make the time I spend in school a bit easier.I've heard about some things you mentioned on Oregon, like the substantial theft problem, horrible housing market and a hippie mentality for drugs, not to mention a strong stance on political matters. I didn't know about the violent crime rates nor the homeless issue.I admit that does concern me. I agree with your thinking about the guns,politics and religion. Many Americans don't have their priorities correct on those topics. Quite a few vote against their own interest because of resentment for certain groups of people.Sadly most voters are ill informed.

If you had to do it over again and decided to live in America, would you have picked Oregon to call home?

I hope the housing market picks up steam soon, so that you can sale your house. The major news broadcast recently did announce that sales of existing homes have improved slight in most major markets.The up tick usually happens first in large metro areas before it spreads to the outter areas. So fingers crossed.

Its a tough economy every where and some places are still in recession. That fact makes moving to a new place very risky and scary. Will have to carefully examine my options.

I did hear that the UK was back in recession but those austerity measures seem to have made things worse than first thought.They are now saying the economy is in a deeper recession than forcasted. I will say that if a person has about $150.000 in hand, and living in the UK with proper government health care, ect , that might be the better deal. Mainly because things will improve eventually. I say in 3-5 years.

Would you move back with less than $150K? Would you go back with $25K-50K? What area in the UK would you move to and is that different to the city you are from?
Answering some of your questions from the gut.
I love both Oregon and Washington because the landscape is more like the UK and they have rain.
Me thinks there is no sales tax there.
Portland is expensive for housing but if you go out a little it should be doable.
I would think there would be a fair amount of work especially in the IT fields.
As far as moving to the UK and how much you would need? Nothing would be alright and $25K would be enough to get you going.

http://diaperbanknetwork.wordpress.c...-usatoday-com/

I included this because I remember reading in the news about some cities are cracking down on homelessness.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 5:21 am
Banned

Answering some of your questions from the gut.
I love both Oregon and Washington because the landscape is more like the UK and they have rain.
Me thinks there is no sales tax there.
Portland is expensive for housing but if you go out a little it should be doable.
I would think there would be a fair amount of work especially in the IT fields.
As far as moving to the UK and how much you would need? Nothing would be alright and $25K would be enough to get you going.

http://diaperbanknetwork.wordpress.c...-usatoday-com/

I included this because I remember reading in the news about some cities are cracking down on homelessness.
Thank you Cheers

I've heard other people say that Oregon and Washington state remind them of the UK. That could be either a selling point for British expats to move there, or a deal breaker, considering the fact that many left the UK to try out something different. Btw, congrats on that new car. Nothing like the smell of brand new interior.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish

hi UK..

I had a feeling you were wanting to come and live here, Oregon is nice I cant say it isnt, it depends where you live now and what your expections are, Wyoming is the only other place I have lived in the USA, to be honest Wyoming is safer, less violence, hotter and colder in summer and winter, its all I can compare with...

No sales tax in OR but it does have income tax and home taxes are 4 times what I paid in Wyoming... Car license plates in OR are Much cheaper, every state has its own rules, I see every state as its own little country...

I like the west coast but its a trek getting back home, at least 24 hours...

Id planned on going back with 100k sterling... my saving have gone, Id be lucky to $50k now... its not enough... Im not a leech and wont beg... may have to go back with less then 100k sterling at some point, it depends on my situation, health, work etc, over the next few years, circumstances can get worse quickly...

Id be going to Mansfield Notts area...
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

hi UK..

I had a feeling you were wanting to come and live here, Oregon is nice I cant say it isnt, it depends where you live now and what your expections are, Wyoming is the only other place I have lived in the USA, to be honest Wyoming is safer, less violence, hotter and colder in summer and winter, its all I can compare with...

No sales tax in OR but it does have income tax and home taxes are 4 times what I paid in Wyoming... Car license plates in OR are Much cheaper, every state has its own rules, I see every state as its own little country...

Id planned on going back with 100k sterling... my saving have gone, Id be lucky to $50k now... its not enough... Im not a leech and wont beg... may have to go back with less then 100k sterling at some point, it depends on my situation, health, work etc, over the next few years, circumstances can get worse quickly...

Hang on! You can have Robin Hood help you out
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:12 am
Banned

hi UK..

Oregon sounds like an interesting place.Maybe different from any other place I've known. People say there is a libertarian mentality out west in general and particularly in Oregon and Washington state. That does appeal to me on some level, depending on the issue in question. This economy has been tough on a lot of people. Some states don't make an effort to look out for the residents living there. I imagine that might be true of any state which believe conservatism is the rule of the day.But I'm told that Oregon is politically in the middle, to liberal,again,depending on the region of Oregon.

I get the feeling that you think Oregon is nice, but you are ready to move on? Is that mostly due to economics and heath care or do you truly miss the UK that much?

I agree that $150K = 100K sterling, would help make the transition back home much easier.You are still young and spry you have time to build up cash. At least that is what I tell myself.

Mansfield Nottingham is an ideal location to much of the country.

Maybe lady luck will smile on us both
Old Jul 4th 2012, 4:14 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

A wee update. It is less than two weeks until we move out of our home. Yikes. The last week has been a bit stressful with all of the items on the to-do-list, but I think I am seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. Those who have already made the move will know what I mean

I am looking forward to travelling home. We are going to visit some friends in PEI, then on to Nova Scotia for a couple of days. Then we are taking the train to Windsor to visit and old school friend of mine. After that we are going to NY and will sail from NY to Southampton. We got a really good deal on the price as Cunard were having a sale in honour of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. Also, it has been mentioned on another thread that there will be three people from BE sailing on the QM2. Me, Pombat and Britwhore. So we will be having an official BE Conference in the middle of the Atlantic, which I am sure will involve some cocktails.

I hope you will be following our journey on the QM2 webcam. We leave NY on 3 August.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 1:57 am
Banned

Fish

Do you think the economy in the portland area is decent at the moment? If I move to that location my girl friend would go with me and she doesn't have much work marketable experience. I wonder if she could get a entry level job paying about $12 per hr working at a hospital,department store or some such place similar? Would that salary amount be usual for portland for entry level work? I think the minimum wage in oregon is suppose to be $8.80 per hour?

Thank you
Old Jul 5th 2012, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish

Do you think the economy in the portland area is decent at the moment? If I move to that location my girl friend would go with me and she doesn't have much work marketable experience. I wonder if she could get a entry level job paying about $12 per hr working at a hospital,department store or some such place similar? Would that salary amount be usual for portland for entry level work? I think the minimum wage in oregon is suppose to be $8.80 per hour?

Thank you
Yes there is Portland and then there is Oregon, two different wage scales and cost of living (read housing costs)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.