Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 23rd 2012, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

If1, you`re on your way now! Enjoy the crossing,I`ve always enjoyed every minute. It`s just the right length so you dont get bored. The library is my favourite place, so peaceful!
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 9:02 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Good luck!

I thought of you the other night as I went to the Old Swan Hotel in Harrogate to listen to Peter Robinson and Ian Rankin. Ian Rankin is quite the character!

Enjoy the whole experience of coming home - you only get this feeling once
Thanks Sally. Yes, he is quite the character. Sorry I missed it. I left Calgary on Friday and I didn't feel any emotion whatsoever. The friends I am staying with in PEI left Calgary 2 years ago and they had no emotion, when leaving, either. I just feel as though I am on holiday.

I think when I get on the ship it will sink in that I am leaving, but I am looking forward not back. Time will tell.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 9:03 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
If1, you`re on your way now! Enjoy the crossing,I`ve always enjoyed every minute. It`s just the right length so you dont get bored. The library is my favourite place, so peaceful!

I am sure we will be in the library too. I sent you a PM, so let me know if want to meet up.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 9:11 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
Hi Sally,
I was there earlier in the day for the "Crime in another dimension" session. My son, who writes, really enjoyed it. Four middle aged male sci-fi writers, dropping expletives everywhere! Fancy us, retreading each others footsteps!
I read all of Ian Rankin`s books when I first moved to America. It was relentlessly hot and sunny, but I wanted an Edinburgh fog swirling round in my head!
Oh how weird that you were there on the same day. Such a beautiful building and I was interested to learn that Agatha Christie 'disappeared' there for a few weeks and caused a national scandal. I had no idea.

My week has slipped away from me, but maybe next week in Harlow Carr Gardens? I'll pm you when I know my plans.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 9:16 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lf1
I am sure we will be in the library too. I sent you a PM, so let me know if want to meet up.
Jemima,

Sorry, I mixed you up with Englishmum, so ignore my post about the meet up and PM. That would be a little difficult to do as we are on different continents. Hope I'll meet you one day when I am in Yorkshire
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 9:22 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Pombat
Congratulations on starting your journey! We leave CA on July 31, but have another week of craziness to get through before then. We'll see you on board!!

http://www.cunard.com/Ships/Queen-Ma...ridge-Web-Cam/
HA! That webcam is very misleading...it has a blue filter on it to make it look like the sky and sea are blue....it seemed to be mostly overcast or foggy on our journey, except for the departure from New York and arrival in Southampton lol!
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 9:46 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123
I would love one day to take the cross atlantic cruise on QM2 from Southampton to New York, I know people that live there who would be happy to put me up for a couple weeks, it would be a great vacation ------ only trouble is I am sooooo darn cheap that even if I do have the money I would have to really carefully think about the cost but dont they say your only young once ----- and you cant take it with you,
OK Rodney - I have a plan for you!

When I was on the Queen Mary 2 a fortnight ago, I ended up on the same breakfast table as two men who were wearing gold badges. It turned out that they were 'gentlemen hosts' ie. men who ask ladies for a twirl around the dance floor.

One of the men said that he lives half the year on the Gold Coast in Australia and half the year in Cheltenham, Glos. He used to work in shipping and loves being at sea, and indeed he and his wife came over to the UK from Oz by ship. She had had enough and stayed on in England whilst he got a *free cruise* on the QM2 (round trip Southampton to New York, New York to Maine and back to NYC and the UK) by being a volunteer dancer! He said that it really keeps you fit; many of the ladies are with their spouses who won't dance with them and there are also many widows and single ladies who hope to be invited for a dance. This man said that he would probably only do this one time and then 'quit'.

The other guy enjoyed it so much that he actually got an agent to find him cruise ships to be a volunteer 'gentleman host' on; he said he got to see many other parts of the world and had free accommodation, meals and laundry. His only problem is that his (male) partner in England got a bit annoyed with him being away frequently. This chap got off the ship in New York whilst it continued on to New England and then re-joined it in NY to return to Southampton.

He said that Cunard doesn't have enough volunteers to work as gentleman hosts and they're always looking for men with good manners to come forward to 'work' on their ships. He also told me that you don't have to be a wonderful dancer; hosts just know how to do popular dances such as a waltz, cha cha cha etc. and then do an audition with Cunard.

I saw at least half a dozen of the 'gentleman hosts' on the dance floor; they would just approach a hopeful looking lady sitting at the edge of the dance floor and then just have one dance with her and then return her to her seat afterwards.

(I did try just one dance - a waltz - with my husband but we didn't have a clue what we were doing, he was stepping on my feet and we were getting in everyone's way lol but we did have some fun! )

Now Rodney.....all you need to do is to go for some dancing lessons, get in some practice and you can see the world free of charge in style lol! Come on, you know you can do it!

Btw: I was thinking of you last week - we went to a large aquarium in Portsmouth with our daughter and baby granddaughter, the day before the Olympic flame was due to arrive.

http://www.reviewfromthehouse.com/tr...queen-victoria

Last edited by Englishmum; Jul 23rd 2012 at 9:50 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

When I was on the Queen Mary 2 a fortnight ago, I ended up on the same breakfast table as two men who were wearing gold badges. It turned out that they were 'gentlemen hosts' ie. men who ask ladies for a twirl around the dance floor.

One of the men said that he lives half the year on the Gold Coast in Australia and half the year in Cheltenham, Glos. He used to work in shipping and loves being at sea, and indeed he and his wife came over to the UK from Oz by ship. She had had enough and stayed on in England whilst he got a *free cruise* on the QM2 (round trip Southampton to New York, New York to Maine and back to NYC and the UK) by being a volunteer dancer! He said that it really keeps you fit; many of the ladies are with their spouses who won't dance with them and there are also many widows and single ladies who hope to be invited for a dance. This man said that he would probably only do this one time and then 'quit'.

The other guy enjoyed it so much that he actually got an agent to find him cruise ships to be a volunteer 'gentleman host' on; he said he got to see many other parts of the world and had free accommodation, meals and laundry. His only problem is that his (male) partner in England got a bit annoyed with him being away frequently. This chap got off the ship in New York whilst it continued on to New England and then re-joined it in NY to return to Southampton.

He said that Cunard doesn't have enough volunteers to work as gentleman hosts and they're always looking for men with good manners to come forward to 'work' on their ships. He also told me that you don't have to be a wonderful dancer; hosts just know how to do popular dances such as a waltz, cha cha cha etc. and then do an audition with Cunard.

I saw at least half a dozen of the 'gentleman hosts' on the dance floor; they would just approach a hopeful looking lady sitting at the edge of the dance floor and then just have one dance with her and then return her to her seat afterwards.

(I did try just one dance - a waltz - with my husband but we didn't have a clue what we were doing, he was stepping on my feet and we were getting in everyone's way lol but we did have some fun! )

Now Rodney.....all you need to do is to go for some dancing lessons, get in some practice and you can see the world free of charge in style lol! Come on, you know you can do it!

Btw: I was thinking of you last week - we went to a large aquarium in Portsmouth with our daughter and baby granddaughter, the day before the Olympic flame was due to arrive.

Problem is Rodney is very happy with his lot and what would happen if his mom got ill while he was away? I'm sure he appreciates your idea though. PMI.
Cheers
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Where is Bea?
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Englishmum,
Thank you so much in going to all that trouble and typing all that info for me,
strange thing is that a little time before I left the U.S. to come back home I was talking to a Man at work he was 72 years old and he said he was a Gentleman Host for three years when he was in his mid 60,s, he said he signed up for many cruises with several companies that took him all over the world, he said he absolutely loved it, he would never have missed that for the world, he started it as soon as he retired from a Job that he was in for over 30 years, He is comfortably off now, he has his own house all paid up, a nice company pension and S.S. too,
So I asked him why are you back working again at 72? ----- so he said after I went all over the world and saw so many wonderful places and met so many interesting people and Women in General, he said that he then decided he had enough of traveling and just went back to Las Vegas to his house and tried the retired life, ----- he said he could not even last out the year ------ he got soooooo bored with retirement that he quickly found himself a Job, he now loves working and enjoys being around people/work friends, and said he would carry on working until he could no longer do it!!!
So when he told me of his adventures on the high seas I must admit that it arose interest in me,
But Alas Cheers was right I love the life I have now with my Mum, and all the time she is still alive and kicking I will be by her side, not because I have to, but because I want to,
My Mum is so fit at 93 I think she will out live me, and I truly hope she does --- bless her heart,
But if not then who knows, if my health is good then I would love to sail all seven seas
You know the Gentleman host on board a cruise ship reminds me of that really funny film with Jack Lemmon and Walter Mathieu, when they were Gentleman hosts an board a big cruise ship, I wish I could remember the name of that movie, anyone know? I think it was the last or close to last movie they both made,
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
How did you know it's Don's birthday? Where did you see that?

Happy Birthday Don
Hi MITF,
Well you see last year Don and his wife Tippawan invited me down to stay at there lovely house in Shropshire for three very enjoyable days,
We now email each other on a regular basis to keep in touch, and I regard him as a good friend, he is a very nice man and a true Gent,
So thats why I knew it was his Birthday yesterday.
Take care and nice to see you on here again.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:21 am

Smile Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123
Englishmum,
Thank you so much in going to all that trouble and typing all that info for me,
strange thing is that a little time before I left the U.S. to come back home I was talking to a Man at work he was 72 years old and he said he was a Gentleman Host for three years when he was in his mid 60,s, he said he signed up for many cruises with several companies that took him all over the world, he said he absolutely loved it, he would never have missed that for the world, he started it as soon as he retired from a Job that he was in for over 30 years, He is comfortably off now, he has his own house all paid up, a nice company pension and S.S. too,
So I asked him why are you back working again at 72? ----- so he said after I went all over the world and saw so many wonderful places and met so many interesting people and Women in General, he said that he then decided he had enough of traveling and just went back to Las Vegas to his house and tried the retired life, ----- he said he could not even last out the year ------ he got soooooo bored with retirement that he quickly found himself a Job, he now loves working and enjoys being around people/work friends, and said he would carry on working until he could no longer do it!!!
So when he told me of his adventures on the high seas I must admit that it arose interest in me,
But Alas Cheers was right I love the life I have now with my Mum, and all the time she is still alive and kicking I will be by her side, not because I have to, but because I want to,
My Mum is so fit at 93 I think she will out live me, and I truly hope she does --- bless her heart,
But if not then who knows, if my health is good then I would love to sail all seven seas
You know the Gentleman host on board a cruise ship reminds me of that really funny film with Jack Lemmon and Walter Mathieu, when they were Gentleman hosts an board a big cruise ship, I wish I could remember the name of that movie, anyone know? I think it was the last or close to last movie they both made,

Hi Rodney,

Gosh, you certainly met some interesting people in Las Vegas It must have been strange for the former 'gentleman host' to spend so much time at sea and then going to live in the arid desert!

I just looked up Jack Lemmon in the movie website imdb.com and I think this is the film you are trying to remember?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119848/ (there is a short trailer too)
Old Jul 24th 2012, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Rodney,

Gosh, you certainly met some interesting people in Las Vegas It must have been strange for the former 'gentleman host' to spend so much time at sea and then going to live in the arid desert!

I just looked up Jack Lemmon in the movie website imdb.com and I think this is the film you are trying to remember?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119848/ (there is a short trailer too)
Englishmum thats the one!!!! OUT TO SEA, I loved it when it came out, and it does give you a good look at how life could be like as a cruise ship Gentleman host,
Old Jul 24th 2012, 3:10 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Reading this thread, I see a lot of people seem to come back on the cruise ship. Is it just for the experience, or is there another advantage?
Old Jul 24th 2012, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow all this talk about the Queen Mary 2, then last night I came home and switched on the Telly to see a show about the QM2, what a Beautiful ship...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.