Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Why do you feel that this talk of food is taking up serious space and is trite? It's just a bit of light hearted banter between old friends missing our home comforts.

Is there something more worthy we should be talking about?

How do you know what any of our lives are like? Really? How does anybody hidden behind the anonymous smokescreen of the Internet know anything about anybody's life unless they choose to share it on here?

Why do you believe your life is any more complicated than anybody else's? Do we not all have our own complications and worries? If we were all in fantastic positions to do as we want at free will, we wouldn't even be on this thread.......

"The holidays" as I understand it in America is just one day........pretend you are Buddhist or Hindu and then it is just another day, one of 365 days, it is all perception.........
Barb - I read your post 3 times - don't you think it was a little harsh? Have you never heard of the word "empathy"? Celtic Spirit is going through some tough times right now. Getting divorced when you live overseas is no picnic - I went through it myself 7 years ago - the pain and isolation was horrible. As for the "holidays" here in the US - they consist of Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Many of us get homesick and down at this time of year and if you are having personal problems, that can only add to the loneliness.
Yes - I am sure that many of us have complications and problems in our lives, but that doesn't mean that we can't show a little support and empathy to a fellow human being. Your post disturbed me - it wasn't very nice at all. In fact, it was downright nasty.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Barb - I read your post 3 times - don't you think it was a little harsh? Have you never heard of the word "empathy"? Celtic Spirit is going through some tough times right now. Getting divorced when you live overseas is no picnic - I went through it myself 7 years ago - the pain and isolation was horrible. As for the "holidays" here in the US - they consist of Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Many of us get homesick and down at this time of year and if you are having personal problems, that can only add to the loneliness.
Yes - I am sure that many of us have complications and problems in our lives, but that doesn't mean that we can't show a little support and empathy to a fellow human being. Your post disturbed me - it wasn't very nice at all. In fact, it was downright nasty.
I tend to agree with Barb, everyone has things in their lives that are not good. divorce, health issues, or just being plain homesick...if clinging to the little things from home that make you happy..the food for example..then that should not be considerd trite...its what keeps alot of people sane that are away from home.
Jackie
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I tend to agree with Barb, everyone has things in their lives that are not good. divorce, health issues, or just being plain homesick...if clinging to the little things from home that make you happy..the food for example..then that should not be considerd trite...its what keeps alot of people sane that are away from home.
Jackie
Sorry I disagree - Barb was rude. To tell someone to "pretend to be a Hindu or a Buddhist" for the day was nasty.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
A UK Actor, of ''Bad boys army'' fame, is putting his home, in Grantham Lincs, on the market, for £210K. here is a shot of it.

Oh! Dear, Sorry F & C, done it again, should have done a ''New Topic''. Sorry all dontheturner
Im going home to Grantham, but I think thats a little out of my price range Don..lol..
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Sorry I disagree - Barb was rude. To tell someone to "pretend to be a Hindu or a Buddhist" for the day was nasty.
Well..yeah..that was kinda rude..
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
We've been down in Devon on a family holiday for the past few days. 17 of us!

Here are some links to my pictures that are on my Facebook page (these are public links so you don't have to be on Facebook to access them).

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=4c902989a0

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=10e37d9797

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=c9119ef032

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=075507f088 (I'm the one by the teapot)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=93f0675b1e

We're getting ready to leave a day early due to impending SNOW here in Devon and also back home in London.

Hope you enjoy these.
Beautiful photos - thanks for posting them. Great to hear from you.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Derrygirl I think Barb was trying some humour at the end of her posting she did put a smiley face up. We all need to be sensive to other peoples feelings and remember not everyone posts all they are going through on here and many are doing battle with very sad feelings and situations and I think thats what Barb was pointing out. Celticspirit also came over as insensitive so I think thats what Barb fed off.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie
I agree with you, Ldy. Barb's post was just fine.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Derrygirl I think Barb was trying some humour at the end of her posting she did put a smiley face up. We all need to be sensive to other peoples feelings and remember not everyone posts all they are going through on here and many are doing battle with very sad feelings and situations and I think thats what Barb was pointing out. Celticspirit also came over as insensitive so I think thats what Barb fed off.
I agree totally, Trotty.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

DDL...Loved the posting and pictures especially the one of you by the teapot Hope you have a safe journey home and let us know how everything goes.
My friend in Cheshire is just packing up and leaving for New Zealand. She didnt sell her home she is just going to leave it empty and hope it sells in the Spring. I do worry about her. Her husband died last year and they say you shouldnt make rash decisions for the next two years. I hope she settles well. She is 70.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well..yeah..that was kinda rude..
Because someone says what they think, why is it considered rude? I just don't get it. I am amazed at the small mindedness that is here sometimes. Barb didn't start the issue. She merely responded to an already insensitive comment from someone else.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
DDL...Loved the posting and pictures especially the one of you by the teapot Hope you have a safe journey home and let us know how everything goes.
My friend in Cheshire is just packing up and leaving for New Zealand. She didnt sell her home she is just going to leave it empty and hope it sells in the Spring. I do worry about her. Her husband died last year and they say you shouldnt make rash decisions for the next two years. I hope she settles well. She is 70.
Oh my gosh, Trotty, that's a huge move for her at this point in her life, especially with her husband dying recently. I do hope she finds peace and happiness wherever she goes.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
Because someone says what they think, why is it considered rude? I just don't get it. I am amazed at the small mindedness that is here sometimes. Barb didn't start the issue. She merely responded to an already insensitive comment from someone else.
I agree Wind, as I said..no one has the manopoly on bad things happening to them on this thread. We are here to laugh, and cry, and hope together. If we want to talk about dogs, cars, or sausage rolls, then thats what we will do. If you dont want to join in then dont, but dont put us down for it..
Jackie
Old Dec 17th 2010, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

I agree Wind, as I said..no one has the manopoly on bad things happening to them on this thread. We are here to laugh, and cry, and hope together. If we want to talk about dogs, cars, or sausage rolls, then thats what we will do. If you dont want to join in then dont, but dont put us down for it..
Jackie
Exactly, Jackie!

(Sorry for calling you Ldy at times. My brain has not yet associated Ldy with Jackie lol!)
Old Dec 17th 2010, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I also find the subject of the emphasis of returning to tasty Brit foods so trite in the scheme of things......at least for me here where real life is so scary. I just think how lucky you all are that this is important enough to take up serious space and I am not trying to be judgmental here. I wish I could let you know how my life is so much more complicated. I am not sure if I can get through the holidays this year with all the pressures....and no one to talk to......just a ton of hostile inlaws.
Hi - I have sent you a personal message.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.