Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 12th 2010, 7:29 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by windsong
Ohhh, Bee!! Congrats to you! Just two months away.

If you hadn't had this job opportunity, when had you been planning to return?
Wind, that is/was my original ticket, Feb. 26th, stay with my sister in Cheshire and take it from there one day at a time.

Job offer came last Friday totally out of the blue, I have to tell them this week of my decision which of course all hinges on $$$. If they are no good, then back to original plan, nothing lost.......
Old Dec 12th 2010, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wind, that is/was my original ticket, Feb. 26th, stay with my sister in Cheshire and take it from there one day at a time.

Job offer came last Friday totally out of the blue, I have to tell them this week of my decision which of course all hinges on $$$. If they are no good, then back to original plan, nothing lost.......
I hope they offer you massive money Bee..
Old Dec 12th 2010, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
The posts here lately have been very interesting. A lot of America bashing going on.

I'm American and love my country. I happen to think that it is a fantastic country. A lot of people on this forum lived in America for many, many years, enjoying and taking advantage of all it had to offer.

I'm the first to hold up my hand and say that America is not perfect.

But Britain's far from perfect, too! There are a lot of things about this - my "adopted country" - that I absolutely detest. There are aspects about Britain that I think the country is getting totally wrong.

But the last thing I do on this forum is bash it.

I think we're losing the plot of this particular thread and until it gets back on course, I'll sit quietly on the sidelines.
I am not bashing it - if you mean me. The subject should be allowed to drop. However, I will hold firm to my opinion.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you! You win either way when you do that. I am so happy for you, Bee
Old Dec 12th 2010, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
The posts here lately have been very interesting. A lot of America bashing going on.

I'm American and love my country. I happen to think that it is a fantastic country. A lot of people on this forum lived in America for many, many years, enjoying and taking advantage of all it had to offer.

But Britain's far from perfect, too! There are a lot of things about this - my "adopted country" - that I absolutely detest. There are aspects about Britain that I think the country is getting totally wrong.

I think we're losing the plot of this particular thread and until it gets back on course, I won't be back.
I apologize DDL, if I appear to be bashing the US. It has been my home for 34 years, and I have some wonderful memories of this country. I understand the UK is far from perfect, but for me it is where my parents are, and I owe them some of my time. I had decided to go back prior to my health issues, but the health insurance situation here has definitely recently become a huge factor. I am going to miss many things about the US, I cannot deny it.
Jackie.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I apologize DDL, if I appear to be bashing the US. It has been my home for 34 years, and I have some wonderful memories of this country. I understand the UK is far from perfect, but for me it is where my parents are, and I owe them some of my time. I had decided to go back prior to my health issues, but the health insurance situation here has definitely recently become a huge factor. I am going to miss many things about the US, I cannot deny it.
Jackie.
Me, too. I love the warm summers and the sunshine. I will really miss that! I also love the squirrels, raccoons and possums that visit. I will carry them in my heart always, though. Looking forward, I think of the squirrels and rabbits that may be around for snacks wherever I live in the UK

I will also miss Target stores. That's one great store! I am sure the UK has an equivalent, though.

I will just have to make up for the warm summers and sunshine by vacationing on the Mediterranean for a few weeks every year.

Ohh, I would also miss the garbage disposals. I don't think most have them in the UK.

Last edited by windsong; Dec 12th 2010 at 8:10 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 7:48 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
We have them in Australia - charities like St Vinnies are stretched to the limit and despite cries of "The Lucky Country" the pressure on the poor - working and not working - has been increasing significantly this past few years. I work above a place which gives breakfast to those who wouldnt have it otherwise - and there are never fewer than about 30 "guests" every morning and that in the centre of nice middle class Canberra. Australia does quite a good job at hiding its poverty behind a smoke screen.
I think that Australia and the USA are similar in many ways, both beating their own drum, "The Lucky Country" and "The Land of the Free" and a lot of that is down to the media, they don't have The Daily Mail as they do in the UK which regularly tells it's readers about Broken Britain.

So many people in the USA and Australia live in la la land, thinking how "awesome" it is to live in these countries and they are in denial about the short comings of where they live. If they had their own local version of the The Daily Mail, then the blinkers would be off.

Britain does have a lot wrong with it, there is no denying that, but so do most other countries, none is perfect and you would have to be deluded to think otherwise.

I have been to Los Angeles as a tourist and was shocked to see so many homeless people one early morning in a park, shocked because I had always had this vision of the US being so RICH and everybody being so well off, the media again. It's like when people emigrate here all they see is the blue sea and the white sand, because they believe the hype the media feed them, but life isn't just about sunshine.......there are problems here too.

All of these 3 countries have unemployment, chavs, alcohol related problems, drugs, rape, thuggery, violence, poverty, homelessness and any other problem you can think of, yet the only country that is somehow infamous for this is the UK, the media has a lot to answer for, which is why I very rarely read a newspaper or watch the news.........

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 12th 2010 at 8:17 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think that Australia and the USA are similar in many ways, both beating their own drum, "The Lucky Country" and "The Land of the Free" and a lot of that is down to the media, they don't have The Daily Mail as they do in the UK which regularly tells it's readers about Broken Britain.

So many people in the USA and Australia live in la la land, thinking how "awesome" it is to live in these countries and they are in denial about the short comings of where they live. If they had their own local version of the The Daily Mail, then the blinkers would be off.

Britain does have a lot wrong with it, there is no denying that, but so do most other countries, none is perfect and you would have to be deluded to think otherwise.

I have been to Los Angeles as a tourist and was shocked to see so many homeless people one early morning in a park, shocked because I had always had this vision of the US being so RICH and everybody being so well off, the media again. It's like when people emigrate here all they see is the blue sea and the white sand, but life isn't just about sunshine.......there are problems here too.

All of these 3 countries have unemployment, chavs, alcohol related problems, drugs, rape, thuggery, violence, poverty, homelessness and any other problem you can think of, yet the only country that is somehow infamous for this is the UK, the media has a lot to answer for, which is why I very rarely read a newspaper or watch the news.........
Well put, Bee. I gave up watching the news on TV a year ago. I sometimes grab the headlines on my phone but nothing more nowadays. I "choose" my life. I don't let the media dictate it anymore. I found when I watched it, I became more stressed.

Yes, they need the equivalent of the Daily Mail here. I was stunned when I first came here how difficult it was to find out what is "really" going on in the country. It was like peeling away the layers of an onion to find out what the "real" economic news is. This is something I took for granted because I expected to hear the "real" news on TV. It doesn't happen.

I have a friend here who is a stockbroker. He is of foreign heritage but born and raised here - first generation. He told me to go to the Christian Science Monitor if you want to learn what is really going on in this country.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 8:09 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Well put, Bee. I gave up watching the news on TV a year ago. I sometimes grab the headlines on my phone but nothing more nowadays. I "choose" my life. I don't let the media dictate it anymore. I found when I watched it, I became more stressed.

Yes, they need the equivalent of the Daily Mail here. I was stunned when I first came here how difficult it was to find out what is "really" going on in the country. It was like peeling away the layers of an onion to find out what the "real" economic news is. This is something I took for granted because I expected to hear the "real" news on TV. It doesn't happen.

I have a friend here who is a stockbroker. He is of foreign heritage but born and raised here - first generation. He told me to go to the Christian Science Monitor if you want to learn what is really going on in this country.
Or PBS radio they are a little better than local news stations but tend to focus a lot of other countries news.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

I think we're losing the plot of this particular thread and until it gets back on course, I won't be back.
I agree with you 100%, as I have said before there are good and bad things in every country. My husband, children and grandchildren are all Canadian, they and my American friends love their country as much as I love mine, and putting down a country should not be done on this thread. It was not started for that to happen and I know that there are other threads on the site that you can do that on. I do apoligise Denise.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:03 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong, re: the retirement homes I posted, they are not assisted living. Just properties that only allow you to buy if you are 55 or older.

I love Britain very much but I don't feel it's above criticism, nor do I mind when people do it. No country is perfect and criticism is just one person's opinion. If you live in America, you can't criticize any aspect of the country to anyone because they get very upset. (I do not understand that - I love my husband but I don't think he's above reproach!)

Therefore, I think it's natural for some people who feel trapped to vent their frustration here where they are among friends and feel they can. Personally, I am not at all offended if anyone wants to criticize England - have at it.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Dec 12th 2010 at 10:13 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

One thought here:
If you really love America, and it is our country, you can get very angry about the way it has become over the time we have been here and what you see is going to happen down the road.

Denise I would like you to tell me in a light hearted way the things you don't like in the UK but I'm guessing you probably don't want to because of the things you like offset them.

Denise I don't down the US I just like to identify some things I don't like.
When I came to the US in 1955 I thought it would be like the Doris Day movies.

I don't like other people downing the US and I don't include Sally in that because she has lived here awhile.

I see some Americans living in the UK and going on about the US but I take no notice.

Sometimes when I'm on holiday in the UK I do talk to some people so as expand their knowledge of the US but I think they kiss it off. They have their opinion and wont be changed. They usually have a good opinion I might ad. Again I don't like people saying bad things about the US if they are wrong.

One other thing, I was harassed/bullied in the UK because they thought I was an American. I lived here in the US for a year and went back. I was 12 and my mother lugged me around. It was only by the odd few in school but it hurt.

Are you totally confused about what I am writing?

OK chaps, lets show our better side, what?

Please don't leave us.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Windsong, re: the retirement homes I posted, they are not assisted living. Just properties that only allow you to buy if you are 55 or older.

I love Britain very much but I don't feel it's above criticism, nor do I mind when people do it. No country is perfect and criticism is just one person's opinion. If you live in America, you can't criticize any aspect of the country to anyone because they get very upset.

Therefore, I think it's natural for some people who feel trapped to vent their frustration here where they are among friends and feel they can. Personally, I am not at all offended if anyone wants to criticize England - have at it.
Ahh, I see. Thank you for clarifying that, Sally
Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
One thought here:
If you really love America, and it is our country, you can get very angry about the way it has become over the time we have been here and what you see is going to happen down the road.

Denise I would like you to tell me in a light hearted way the things you don't like in the UK but I'm guessing you probably don't want to because of the things you like offset them.

Denise I don't down the US I just like to identify some things I don't like.
When I came to the US in 1955 I thought it would be like the Doris Day movies.

I don't like other people downing the US and I don't include Sally in that because she has lived here awhile.

I see some Americans living in the UK and going on about the US but I take no notice.

Sometimes when I'm on holiday in the UK I do talk to some people so as expand their knowledge of the US but I think they kiss it off. They have their opinion and wont be changed. They usually have a good opinion I might ad. Again I don't like people saying bad things about the US if they are wrong.

One other thing, I was harassed/bullied in the UK because they thought I was an American. I lived here in the US for a year and went back. I was 12 and my mother lugged me around. It was only by the odd few in school but it hurt.

Are you totally confused about what I am writing?

OK chaps, lets show our better side, what?

Please don't leave us.
Ha ha! Good post, Cheers.

You know, I have been thinking about my accent. I do sound "mostly" American now - well, U.S. thinks I am British but Brits think I am American when they listen to me. I wouldn't be at all surprised if I encounter some flack when I return with people thinking I am American. If I do, I will be sure to put them straight!!! You can count on that One should not be judged simply because of their accent but by their actions. Hopefully, the UK is a bit more broad-minded now.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
This weeks calender.

Wednesday: Rosie moves to Frome.
Thursday : Easterndawn, new puppy arrives in Aye. (Wee MacGregor comes to live with me on Thursday evening)
Sally starts new job
Denise waits to hear on new job.

Next month, January 2011

Jackie is off to the UK, Lincolnshire.
Bee's flight delayed because of training.

February 2011

Feb 26th Barb is her way to the UK(poetry)

Don is on his way from Thailand to Shropshire.

All this is from memory so I may have to edit.

Cheers
Just bringing our calender up to date.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.