Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:18 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by HighTide
Just checking in from Caterham, Surrey here.
Great flight over with no problems. We arrived about 30 minutes late due to a holding pattern over London.
Our friend was unable to meet us as her sister arrived from New Zealand 2 1/2 hours before us and they only had one snow free car to pick up people because they had left a car on the main road which had been cleared. We ended up taking the Gatwick Express bus from Heathrow to Gatwick (National Express) 21 pounds each. I am sure it would have been cheaper if we had booked on line before but we had no idea of which route we would be taking until we arrived. We were then picked up at Gatwick where the roads had been cleared and were back in about 30 minutes.

Not much snow at Heathrow but by the time we got to the Reigate exit or thereabouts on the M25 it was more snow than I remember seeing in England for years. It was very beautiful to look at.

The high point was turning into our friend's road and seeing all the neighbors out shoveling snow and guiding us into a cleared spot and then our friend bringing out a tray of hot mince pies and all the neighbors having one.
We were here by 3:15 pm local time which was pretty good considering the conditions.
Had an early dinner with wine and am about to have an early night also.
Great to be here and can't wait to get out tomorrow.
Oh well done David (and partner!)!!

How lovely to see all that snow from the comfort of inside. I look forward to hearing your stories........
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Great flight over with no problems. We arrived about 30 minutes late due to a holding pattern over London.
Our friend was unable to meet us as her sister arrived from New Zealand 2 1/2 hours before us and they only had one snow free car to pick up people because they had left a car on the main road which had been cleared. We ended up taking the Gatwick Express bus from Heathrow to Gatwick (National Express) 21 pounds each. I am sure it would have been cheaper if we had booked on line before but we had no idea of which route we would be taking until we arrived. We were then picked up at Gatwick where the roads had been cleared and were back in about 30 minutes.

Not much snow at Heathrow but by the time we got to the Reigate exit or thereabouts on the M25 it was more snow than I remember seeing in England for years. It was very beautiful to look at.

The high point was turning into our friend's road and seeing all the neighbors out shoveling snow and guiding us into a cleared spot and then our friend bringing out a tray of hot mince pies and all the neighbors having one.
We were here by 3:15 pm local time which was pretty good considering the conditions.
Great to hear from you!!! Glad you arrived safely after such a difficult journey. What great friends welcoming you with hot mince pies!! Enjoy your time in the UK - good luck hunting for your B & B - I hope you find something to your liking and within your budget.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Now we've heard from High Tide (David). Great news he and his partner arrived safely - wondering how Rodney is doing - hopefully he got to his mother's house a couple of days ago. Just hope things are going okay for him and he is able to post soon to let us know. It seems as if there is way more snow in England than ever before - I cannot remember England getting that much snow (especially in the South). I know Scotland can get hit badly but it's unusual for England. They have far more than we have had here - just a dusting so far. Shouldn't speak too soon, sometimes it starts snowing here and forgets to stop!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Lovely to hear David and partner arrived safely, how fantastic to be greeted with mince pies, neighbours clearing the snow for them, it conjoured up such a lovely picture.

Joan, it may well have been a relative of yours, it was at the junction after turning right at the roof top neon advert sign on Corso Roma, Gallipoli, it was lady and my OH said she was miming "oh I'm so sorry for having nearly killed you" in his review mirror. All's well that ends well
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:42 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I think you mean snow shoes - the reference to tennis racquets. The non-slip items for walking on ice are crampons, they come in various weights and thicknesses, on a rubber base. You stretch the rubber base over the soles of your boots, and walk on the sharp metal spikes. There are similar ones for walking sticks. A disabled friend on mine used one when I lived in Wisconsin, and without it she would have been housebound. I have a set to use over my boots, and they are packed away in Ealing, across town from where I currently am. Pity, I really could have used them now in Purley. Have a look:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Tr.../dp/B002ULFQ8I

and http://www.fashionablecanes.com/Ice_...ing_Canes.html
I think I have seen those tennis racquet things in old movies??

Anyway very impractical for the British high street LOL!!

I have never seen these crampons until your post, wow they look like a must and I will definitely be investing in a pair, thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:52 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by J.J
On the theme of odd news stories, here is the news from England http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/we...n-snowman.html
Ha Ha, pound coins for eyes and teaspoons for arms.......
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:17 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds wonderful
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I just read a post on another forum from Denise2 that she posted two days ago.
She has been concentrating on getting her ILR which she got the day before yesterday.
No jobs yet.Still spending money that can't be helped.Still living with 'Mother-in-love'
Quote:
Received my ILR this morning at Croydon. At today's exchange rate, it cost $1,965.50.

Windows! Windows! Windows!

The Home Office was very understaffed today - about half of their employees did not show up to work due to the weather.

There is a small canteen that sells pre-prepared sandwiches, sausage rolls, pastries, candy, crisps, juice, tea, and coffee. CASH ONLY.

The seats in the waiting area are made of cold, hard steel and very uncomfortable. If possible, bring something you can use as a cushion (puffy coat, etc.).

There is a small but nice mall across the street from Lunar House (connected to the parking garage) that has a Sainsbury's that opens up very early.

My appointment was at 8am; we were told to be there by 7:30am. It took us about an hour to drive to Croydon from where we live (near Heathrow). Thank god for SatNav that kept us off the motorway which, this morning, was a mess with all the snow.

We parked in the large parking garage directly across the street from The Home Office (Whitgift Centre). 5 hours cost us £10.20.

Last edited by cheers; Dec 3rd 2010 at 8:35 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I just read a post on another forum from Denise2 that she posted two days ago.
She has been concentrating on getting her ILR which she got the day before yesterday.
No jobs yet.Still spending money that can't be helped.Still living with 'Mother-in-love'
Quote:
Received my ILR this morning at Croydon. At today's exchange rate, it cost $1,965.50.

Windows! Windows! Windows!

The Home Office was very understaffed today - about half of their employees did not show up to work due to the weather.

There is a small canteen that sells pre-prepared sandwiches, sausage rolls, pastries, candy, crisps, juice, tea, and coffee. CASH ONLY.

The seats in the waiting area are made of cold, hard steel and very uncomfortable. If possible, bring something you can use as a cushion (puffy coat, etc.).

There is a small but nice mall across the street from Lunar House (connected to the parking garage) that has a Sainsbury's that opens up very early.

My appointment was at 8am; we were told to be there by 7:30am. It took us about an hour to drive to Croydon from where we live (near Heathrow). Thank god for SatNav that kept us off the motorway which, this morning, was a mess with all the snow.

We parked in the large parking garage directly across the street from The Home Office (Whitgift Centre). 5 hours cost us £10.20.
Why did she need an IRL is she not English?
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:47 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Why did she need an IRL is she not English?
No she is American (but an Anglophile ) but her husband is British. What's an IRL?
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
No she is American (but an Anglophile ) but her husband is British. What's an IRL?
Indefinite leave to remain
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
its ILR...lol
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 9:00 pm
Home Sweet Home

its ILR...lol
Ooops!! All this visa stuff seems very complicated. I wonder why Denise hasn't posted on our bit then?
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Maybe I missed the posting but David arrived two hours ago.

Who's next?
I think I might be next..early February??
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 9:38 pm
Home Sweet Home

I think I might be next..early February??
Whats your date of arrival Jacky??

Don and his wife are 21st Feb. I think

Mine is 27th Feb.

Wow just think not that long from now people are going to be stalking/tracking US.

I wonder how Rodney is doing? It's been 3 days now, surely he has bought a laptop by now and fired it up!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.