Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Thanks Don. I'm good to go.
You kept it simple and I like that.
Cheers
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dunroving
Chairty shops DO sell TVs (maybe not all, but I know some do, 'cos I've seen them).

Gumtree is your best bet - you will get a bog standard widescreen for < £50 - in fact I just gave m7 30" widescreen away on Gumtree (yes, free). You can hardly sell them for love nor money so you should get a used one with no trouble.

Quick and easy guide to the other stuff, if you decide to buy new:

LED = best picture, but much more expensive.
LED backlit = next best, still more expensive than ...
LCD - very good picture (good enough for all bar the purist), and Hi Def is great. I just bought a 40" Samsung LCD Hi Def and love it.
Plasma = heavier, probably should be your last choice among the flat screen options.

Samsung, LG, and Sony get consistently good reports.
Charity shops do sell electrical items. Another shop which has has a wide range of second hand goods in good condition is Cash Converters. They operate in most towns in the West Mids, but are not sure about other parts of the country.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Quick and easy guide to the other stuff, if you decide to buy new:

LED = best picture, but much more expensive.
LED backlit = next best, still more expensive than ...
LCD - very good picture (good enough for all bar the purist), and Hi Def is great. I just bought a 40" Samsung LCD Hi Def and love it.
Plasma = heavier, probably should be your last choice among the flat screen options.

Samsung, LG, and Sony get consistently good reports.
Hello Dunroving.
I totally agree and think you bought wisely, Samsung make terrific LCD TVs, what you bought would be my choice too.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

[QUOTE=Fish n Chips 56;8996317]Hello Tanto...

Glad you liked my advice, most was from my own noggin but the three piles idea belongs to someone else that posts here, I cant remember who said it and I certainly can't take credit for it.

I have two homes to sell, My parents both passed away last year so their home is first, its been on the market since Sept 09... the money from that house wont be a lot as I have to share it with my two sisters, In actual fact what I will get wont make up for the loss in value on my own home that has happened over the past year, it is what it is, there is nothing I can do to change it...

I was planning on leaving in 2000/01 when I discovered my Mother had medical problems, in 2003 we found out she also had dimensia so we stayed here to help my parents, its cost us a lot... I really don't know when we will move, I was hoping Id already be gone but things haven't gone my way.

Procrasinator... me too, I do know the further ahead you are the better you will feel long term, so keep that in mind...

Good Luck with the friends, you never know who might be willing to help you, some people surprise us...

Take Care....[/QUOTE

Hello Fish,
Thank you for your update.
The day after I wrote about trying to think of friends who could help, I got an email, out of the blue, from friends (old neighbours of my Mother) who've recently moved to Salisbury and now have a new baby. They raved about their house, area, countryside and said 'hurry up and move back to Blighty'!! I think I have found some support in the move - what timing, eh?
Hope you progress with your house situation - maybe when Spring comes and the weather gets warmer. Are you all set to go back, otherwise?
I am already behind in my replies - I told you I was a procrastinator!
Tanto
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes Tanto,

I think the key is to START at the very beginning, like Rodney you need to get your US citizenship.......'cos you never know which way our path is going to turn.........that's a good start......and then you are off heading down that yellow brick road to you know where.
Duly noted, Beedubya!!
I did enjoy your musical references!
Thank you,
Tanto
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I love his writings, you should dig out the one about the house he and his wife bought, it's fantastic and includes pictures for non believers
I am definitely going to check out his other stuff, great writer, and when he is famous we can say we knew him when he was a nobody LOL!!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:52 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
After 38 years in the US....I still can't believe two turkey dinners a month apart. Too much turkey and too much work. This year OH and I will be in different cities as I am slowly making my separation. OH will be with his family and I will stay home with my dogs. We have had some really good conversations since all the frightening drama. OH does understand my reasons for heading back to the UK.
Jackie....hope you are doing well.
Rodney.....Bon voyage and may all your dreams come true.
I am so fortunate to have found "britishexpats".
Have you made the final decision to go home, or are you still at the will I/won't I stage?

Glad things have cooled down between you and you are in a safer space. Take care.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Dunroving.
I totally agree and think you bought wisely, Samsung make terrific LCD TVs, what you bought would be my choice too.
It would definetly be my choice, but most well known name TV Soni, Samsung etc are well out of my price range. I did go on PC worlds site tonight and they do have a few 32" for around £300, but I am afraid still over my budget at the moment.
I am thinking of perhaps getting a 22-24" with built in DVD player that I can get for around £160-180 for now and then when I can afford a good one I can move that one to my bedroom. Watching my little 12" is giving me a headache, will go out this weekend and see what there is to offer.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
It would definetly be my choice, but most well known name TV Soni, Samsung etc are well out of my price range. I did go on PC worlds site tonight and they do have a few 32" for around £300, but I am afraid still over my budget at the moment.
I am thinking of perhaps getting a 22-24" with built in DVD player that I can get for around £160-180 for now and then when I can afford a good one I can move that one to my bedroom. Watching my little 12" is giving me a headache, will go out this weekend and see what there is to offer.
Did I miss the update on the car in Canada? Hope it turned out good?
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

All schools are closed tomorrow because of snow blizzards.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 7:22 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself on Gumtree and you will get a 30" CRT widescreen and DVD player for less than £100, I guarantee you. Two months ago and you could have had my 32" JVC widescreen for free ... but there are stacks of them on Gumtree for next to nothing. I oriiginally bought my JVC second-hand for £50 in July 2006, not bad for 4 years of TV entertainment.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 7:53 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I'm behind again but had to drop in and post this for Fish n' Chips and anyone else who's enjoying it. This week 'The Trip' was filmed at Hipping Hall which is about two miles from Kirkby Lonsdale, one of the prettiest places I have ever been! Beautiful scenery and a riot again. One word of warning - the opening contains bad language and is not safe for work.

Part One

Part Two

Celtic Spirit, I'm so happy to read that things have settled down at home and that your husband understands.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Did I miss the update on the car in Canada? Hope it turned out good?
The final bill was just over $1300 as they have what they call a good will policy, which means they paid just over a third of the cost. Wasn't as bad as what we had first thought but still , a big bite out of our meager savings which took us almost 6 months to save. Still upward and onward.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Get yourself on Gumtree and you will get a 30" CRT widescreen and DVD player for less than £100, I guarantee you. Two months ago and you could have had my 32" JVC widescreen for free ... but there are stacks of them on Gumtree for next to nothing. I oriiginally bought my JVC second-hand for £50 in July 2006, not bad for 4 years of TV entertainment.
Sorry, not sure what JVC stands for, not a techi like my hubby
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:28 pm
Home Sweet Home

Sorry, not sure what JVC stands for, not a techi like my hubby
It's a brand name like Sony, Samsung.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.