Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 19th 2010, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by cheers
Rodney leaves on the 30th I think. Do you think I need to remind him?

13 days to go. (then he wont talk to us when he gets there)
OK cheers, I havent been on line for 2 days cause I have been so busy, and I find that I am 6 pages behind to catch up on everyone PHEW!!! This thread moves so fast, unbelievable really, we are probably the fastest moving thread in the entire world
now its only 11 days to go for me, and NO I will never ever forget you guys on here, Without everyones support/advise and enchoragement I would not even be going home, I mean that, so thanks to you all so much, I cant say this enough,
So I will be posting quite often when I get home, it will be a couple of days though cause I need to settle in first, but I hope you all dont get tired of my posts from England,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

Originally Posted by jasper123
HI Barb,
Yes my Mum does have central heating in her house, and it works well, but she has it set on a timer --- and it goes off I think at 11pm and comes back on automatically at 7am next morning, yes she could by-pass the timer deal but she wont, she says it saves a lot of money on the heating bills,
I called her a few days ago and reminded her about the electric blanket that I intend buying and she said OH NO --- dont do that cause there were reports recently that she read that they are unsafe, and people have been hurt as a result of having them, so now Im back to square one, so next time I call her Sunday I may just say OK you win I will just get a hot water bottle, maybe she can buy one for me before I get there,
Rodney.
PS Just 11 days to go
Everyone I know has the same, heating goes off when you go to bed and comes back on again a while before you get up. I have never been cold with this system sleeping under a winter duvet, in fact, if I had central heating on all the time the air would be so dry and it would be difficult to sleep. I purposely dry clothes in the house in winter to increase the humidity, as I don't like the dryness caused by gas central heating.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Welcome Tyrone, you are going to love it here as you plan your journey to return HOME!!!!!!
Hello and a big welcome to you Tyrone, Im pleased that you found this great thread and all these wonderful people, you have a couple of years to plan your return home so you will get a lot of help from the people here,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Thanks for this Celtic. I didn't mean to be nosy and would have been fine if you'd ignored what I said--it's just that, having benefitted from marriage counselling because someone else was kind enough to share her experience of it with me, I always feel I should do likewise.

Why France--ha! Good question....I don't think you were on the forum when I first explained it--US husband was thinking of retiring or going p/t so we could spend much more time in UK; but then, suddenly, excellent job offer came up, through his company, in France! And he realized he wasn't ready to retire after all.
So, not quite what I was dreaming of; but I am excited about it, not only because it is France, with all that entails in terms of lifestyle, plus opportunity to resurrect and improve my once-fluent but now-rusty French; but also because it's so much nearer England, and so much easier to go back home from there rather than from here in NE USA.
So, rather than long chunks of time in UK that I was hoping for, I will have much more frequent short visits....still an improvement over being here, and lots to look forward to...European lifestyle, historic buildings all around, wine, cheese, etc!!!

But I guess I should get off this thread and read the expat in France forums instead!! Only I'd miss the folks here....

Tina.
It sounds so exciting! What a lovely way to transition back to the UK!
Old Nov 19th 2010, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
It sounds so exciting! What a lovely way to transition back to the UK!
Yes, indeed! Though still quite a bit of travelling....but I think I just have to accept that travelling will always be part of my life, wherever I am, as we have adult children here in US....

Tina
Old Nov 19th 2010, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi trotty thanks for the PM and thanks for the link, I just clicked on it here on the main thread and it was lovely, (time to say goodbye)
Yes we have been through a lot together, I feel that I know you as well as my SISTER,
This is a Wonderful thread and without it --- and you starting the thread I know for a fact that I would not be where I am now ---- 11 days to go !!!!
I will never forget you trotty or any of all these wonderful people that has been my absolute pleasure to meet, and maybe I hope we can all have that reunion in UK when we are all over there, --- wouldn't that be so great,
I will be posting often when I get back home,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney... I made myself cry just listening to the song. You are allowed to have a rest when you get back home and we wont expect to hear from you for a couple of weeks. Have a great time.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MNandMN
Everyone I know has the same, heating goes off when you go to bed and comes back on again a while before you get up. I have never been cold with this system sleeping under a winter duvet, in fact, if I had central heating on all the time the air would be so dry and it would be difficult to sleep. I purposely dry clothes in the house in winter to increase the humidity, as I don't like the dryness caused by gas central heating.

Hi MN and MN, I just got back from Leicester, would love to hear your views on the place, did i see it through rose tinted glasses? I had a great time and the countryside around there is just wonderful, had a great walk in Bradgate Park the day before i left.......oh the memories.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh TT I love that song you played for Rodney, I already had that on my laptop in my iTunes, so poignant, I think it was for the closing ceremony of the Olympics one year?

Yes I do feel much "lighter" about things. I have noticed even at work when things annoy me, before I might have gotten frustrated or whatever, now it's just "Ach doesn't matter I won't be here much longer" of course I am still doing my job as usual, but it's the underlying feeling I suppose of it's only temporary.....

I think that whole week when my sisters husband died and my son decided to go back to England was so emotional that all the feelings I had been stuffing down and suppressing just brought it all to a head. Lots of phone calls and tears and I just faced up to the fact that I cannot live here anymore. And you know my son may not last over there, he will probably miss his surfing like crazy, (oh yeah the surfing on their trip to Llandudno didn't happen, some story about the sea was too flat, not enough waves, more like the water was too blimmin' cold!! They did go though which was nice, my sister, my mum and my son )

It's my daughter's birthday today, and tomorrow I plan on going to visit her, with her card and gift and my news.......gulp......

Oh and my gf has lent me the money for the ticket so I should be able to buy it tonight or tomorrow, I am looking at February 26th or thereabouts.......now I have the jitters!!!!!
Good post Barb, ------ Feb 26th huh, well that wont be long, but book the ticket now as you have the money cause if you wait you will not be able to get a seat, and now you will probably get a nice cheap flight, I think you mentioned that they are advertising a fare from OZ to UK for Aus$1,000 or just over, not bad for a flight so many miles, I remember my flight from London to Melbourne in 1965 took 36 hours with a lot of stops in different countries, but I remember the distance was 12,000 miles, BUT MY FARE WAS VERY REASONABLE, it was only 10 pounds UK ----- cause I was a ten pound Pom,
Emigrated but only lived there four years, hey I was young, just 19 thats all,
Take care Barb,
Rodney.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Charleygirl, give yourself a few weeks and if you still feel the way you are describing now, then you will have answered all the questions that you had in your heart and your head before you left. You sound so very sad, such a difference than when you were back here in the UK.. Enjoy Christmas with your family and all the happiness that this season brings and make all the decisions in the New Year, god bless, thinking of you.

I got and signed my letter of employment today, which means that I am now a permanent fulltime employee. I can now check that off my list of goals to achieve, now on to the next item on that list. They say it is to snow next weeka nd it certainly feels like it can from the coldness of the wind. This week at work has been getting ready to move into the new offices on November 26th, four days after my birthday. It will be nice to work in the new offices, it has a lovely conservatory and kitchen in the back where we can have our lunch, also has a pond with fish in the garden, how nice is that.
Ed all that is great news, and especially being a permanent employee now --- that has to feel good
I love that these days all your posts are happy ones, and that you have a date for your hubby and babies to join you,
I am moving out of my apartment on the 22nd to go live in my friends house for the last week in US, and so I am going to be very busy with a lot of final things, so just in case I forget ---- I must wish you a very happy Birthday for the 22nd of this month just 3 days away,
You will always be an inspiration to me, I will never forget your older posts in the over a year that you have been back home,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
This seems to happen every year here. Last year it was a couple of boys in flag tee shirts all week, they were sent home to change as it may "hurt someones feelings" Or some such rubbish.
The world has gone politically correctness mad, everyone want to save the feelings of immigrants, I think all immigrants are a little tougher than that. Move to US you'll see the flag everywhere, move to UK get used to 2 minutes silence and poppies (did you see that fiasco?)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11744811 I'm honestly becoming less tolerant as I get older.
Hi everyone, just a few words about rememberance sunday, I have always watched it on tv and in awe of these people who gave so much up for us,( I am sure some of them must be turning in their grave at what is happening today in the cou ntry they fought for) but my pride and heartfelt feelings for these men know no bounds, the respect I have for them is beyond belief. My uncle was one of the voluntees at Dunkirk to take wounded out and he died at 23 of TB, but I am so proud of him and all those that gave thier lives for what we have today. I get really angry that the kids today do not know their history... why are they not taught what they should be grateful for .. is this why we don't have the respect from the youngsters today, because they know nothing of their past???
what has happened to History lessons, I was born in Ireland yet when I was in England working I knew more about english history than the english themselves sorry but I think that is just awful. What has happened to our schools, is PC becoming too much, would love to hear your thoughts on this I have to say the one thing I admire about the old USA they instill in their kids, loyality and patriotism in their kids, I hear lot of anti this, but why???? should we not all be proud of our homeland, and teach the kids to be proud of where they come from... I know I would. I agree with the usa teaching their kids to be loyal to their land, why not? I have to say, I love NY I really do and if I won the lottery I would buy myself an apartment in a lovely area of NY and spend time there and back in the uk would be my second home would'nt that be the perfect ?? for me it would.. I will never rubbish the USA, except for the health system they have a lot going for them except our history. I have to say I love both cou ntries, if I could live in Nottinghill and 5th avenue Hehehe
Old Nov 19th 2010, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Charleygirl, I am so sorry you feel trapped but maybe it will just be for a few more years until your kids have flown the nest. If so, you and I can commiserate together as I won't be going anywhere for a few years.

Congrats on the job ED. Must be a nice sense of security finally.

Rosie, glad things are working out better now.

Isn't it interesting how Fox News just rediscovered an interest in government intrusions into our lives in this last year and a half. They didn't bat an eyelid for the prior 8 years as people were being locked up without a trial and tortured. I wonder what has changed? I'm trying and trying to think but I just can't come up with an answer

I PROMISE to stop banging on about the Lake District after this, but someone just sent me this link to this compilation of scenery from 'The Trip' without any of the comedy and set to music. If you want to bask in the English countryside for a few minutes, this is for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WTl6MzySjo
Sally, Oh thank you so much for posting this link, I just clicked on it and WOW its so beautiful isn't it in the Lake District, I have never been there, not once ever in my life, and seeing this just makes me feel all that I have missed of Beautiful UK --- like a lot of us on here I have traveled the world and have been to 32 countries but I have not hardly seen anything of my own country the UK, I can see that I will have a lot of fun exploring when I get settled over there,
Sally thanks again and this little movie set to music just really did it for me
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh Rosie

That is wonderful news about your housing and pensions, yes it is a big journey we have all chosen for ourselves, you wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy!! If only we could turn back the clock I wonder how many of us would have even emigrated in the first place? Oh well, when you are young everything looks so different and we can't turn back the clock........so here we find ourselves. And thank God for this forum and especially this thread, it has been the saviour for many of us at times.

Re the Housing 21, how does that work? Do you nominate a few places you would like to live and then go on a list? What if you prefer number 1 choice and they give you number 3 choice, can you say no and hang on for number 1 or do you lose your place on the list? I think that's how it works with council housing?? Not sure about it though.....
Barb --- you hit the nail right on the head there, --- (when we are young everything feels so different and we cant turn back the clock)
But I think we all on here still would have done what we did and emigrated to another country --- cause thats just the kind of people we are, were a different breed, and ---- we were young !!!!
Rodney.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Bon Voyage Rodney, have loved reading your posts, looking forward to hearing your news from good old England. Had a lump in my throat listening to the clip "Time to Say Goodbye". Safe trip home.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MNandMN
Would a reverse cycle (hot and cold) air conditioner be more practical, and are they generally available in the UK? I suppose I should know what to expect if I am returning there to live.

I spent 3 months last year in Germany, and stiflingly and exhaustingly in the summer's humid heat, no homes or flats I visited had air-conditioning, also few shops or restaurants. My 12 days in England were somewhat cooler and quite pleasant, but I suppose winter is a different kettle of fish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.