Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:00 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I got a pat down last Wednesday on my way to Boston to pick up my puppy. I had on a cardigan with a zipper and only underwear underneath. I told the security I could not take it off. It didn't even make a sound going through security.....but she put on sterile gloves and gave me a good pat down. It feels humiliating as other people watch.

Once when I was going via Bangkok to the UK, the woman security guard made me stand on a box (!!!) in front of everybody and then she waved this metal detector rod all over my body, THEN when she was finished she didn't say a word,she just poked me with said rod on my hip to say she was finished!!! Like a cattle prod!! I tell you it took all I had to keep my mouth shut and literally keep my lips sealed, but I was too afraid of ending up in the "Bangkok Hilton" (nickname for their local prison)
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tyrone
Celticspirit:

So sorry you did not have a good experience with your school - I went to Loreto in Omagh and it was great. It gave me a great base in my education path that helped my college/career here in NY. Like everything else win some and others not so good....
We thought boarding school would be fun.....day school was so much better!
Do you live in Manhattan? My son does and attended grad school at Columbia. He is now on the staff of a Columbia/Pres as a clinical psychiatrist. My daughter attended Yeshiva - Cardozo school of law and lives in Queens. So as you can see I would almost be as close in Belfast as in Dallas.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for so kind words Tina. Yes, I have been to therapy during and after my first marriage. I did go to see the same lady last year.....but I felt like such a loser have to tell about my issues a second time around, although both reasons are entirely different. Sometimes I feel ridden with guilt and sometimes I just want peace to be by myself.

I was wondering why you are going to France instead of straight to the UK?
Thanks for this Celtic. I didn't mean to be nosy and would have been fine if you'd ignored what I said--it's just that, having benefitted from marriage counselling because someone else was kind enough to share her experience of it with me, I always feel I should do likewise.

Why France--ha! Good question....I don't think you were on the forum when I first explained it--US husband was thinking of retiring or going p/t so we could spend much more time in UK; but then, suddenly, excellent job offer came up, through his company, in France! And he realized he wasn't ready to retire after all.
So, not quite what I was dreaming of; but I am excited about it, not only because it is France, with all that entails in terms of lifestyle, plus opportunity to resurrect and improve my once-fluent but now-rusty French; but also because it's so much nearer England, and so much easier to go back home from there rather than from here in NE USA.
So, rather than long chunks of time in UK that I was hoping for, I will have much more frequent short visits....still an improvement over being here, and lots to look forward to...European lifestyle, historic buildings all around, wine, cheese, etc!!!

But I guess I should get off this thread and read the expat in France forums instead!! Only I'd miss the folks here....

Tina.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Once when I was going via Bangkok to the UK, the woman security guard made me stand on a box (!!!) in front of everybody and then she waved this metal detector rod all over my body, THEN when she was finished she didn't say a word,she just poked me with said rod on my hip to say she was finished!!! Like a cattle prod!! I tell you it took all I had to keep my mouth shut and literally keep my lips sealed, but I was too afraid of ending up in the "Bangkok Hilton" (nickname for their local prison)
My husband had a total knee replacement in July...after our trip to Australia...I dont think he ever wants ton travel again!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yippee.....I am now a senior member
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:19 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Thanks for this Celtic. I didn't mean to be nosy and would have been fine if you'd ignored what I said--it's just that, having benefitted from marriage counselling because someone else was kind enough to share her experience of it with me, I always feel I should do likewise.

Why France--ha! Good question....I don't think you were on the forum when I first explained it--US husband was thinking of retiring or going p/t so we could spend much more time in UK; but then, suddenly, excellent job offer came up, through his company, in France! And he realized he wasn't ready to retire after all.
So, not quite what I was dreaming of; but I am excited about it, not only because it is France, with all that entails in terms of lifestyle, plus opportunity to resurrect and improve my once-fluent but now-rusty French; but also because it's so much nearer England, and so much easier to go back home from there rather than from here in NE USA.
So, rather than long chunks of time in UK that I was hoping for, I will have much more frequent short visits....still an improvement over being here, and lots to look forward to...European lifestyle, historic buildings all around, wine, cheese, etc!!!

But I guess I should get off this thread and read the expat in France forums instead!! Only I'd miss the folks here....

Tina.
Ooh la la Tina!! Sounds wonderful, all that lovely food, cheese, coffee,wine etc. and the English Channel just at your fingertips........

Just a wee boat trip or a short train trip and you are home.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:21 pm
Home Sweet Home

My husband had a total knee replacement in July...after our trip to Australia...I dont think he ever wants ton travel again!
Oh yes it's a long way is Australia, the land downunder.........my sister came here twice with her husband and that's what she said.......she liked it, but could never live here because it is too far...........from over there......

Was your husband's knee replacement something to do with the journey??
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Reading Charleygirl's posts sooo reminds me of how I felt when I got back to Australia, so sad and detached.....I agree with you Peigi, we all REALLY know inside of ourselves what we want to do, but the hard part is actually doing it..........

That's great news about your job, really great, I know you haven't had it easy....anything but.....but you are a trooper that's for sure. Now I think you got this job when I went off the thread (TRIED SOOOO HARD to settle here and didn't want to get envious reading the posts of people going home) so please forgive my ignorance what kind of work are you doing now and did you ever get paid out from that hotel where all the staff weren't getting paid? I know you have your nice flat now overlooking the river, are you finding you earn enough there to cover all expenses or is it a struggle?

That new office sounds lovely, fish pond and all how gorgeous, my office view looks out onto industrial roads with thick cobwebs on the windows outside and the smell of jet fuel in the air LOL!!
My official title is Recruitment and Placement Officer for one of the largest Health Care agencies in Scotland. I have worked as a Registered Nurse and owned my own agency in Canada for over 20 years, so this job was right up my alley. No, I still haven't recieved the $1100.00 owed to me from the Hotel and I doubt that I will ever see it. What I make covers my expenses and I can afford a few treats during the month. This month was tight with moving and all, but next month should be better, of course I don't have a car but hope to by early spring. Our old offices were not so nice, your normal office type building but no proper place to eat so we all ate at our desks.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Thanks for the kind words. Today was a GOOD day - I heard from Housing 21 regarding my rental housing application, and I was accepted by them as a tenant when one of the places I requested becomes available. I am chuffed! Yesterday was the day I applied for both my Pension, and Pension Credits, so I am finally on the way to being settled. After the rocky start of a few weeks ago, I decided that it cost me so much in financial and emotional terms to get here, that I needed to pull out all the stops and make an effort to stay. In terms of family support - there is none. At least I know that this is all up to me. For many years I have made my own way in the USA, with no family help there either, and I survived and enjoyed life in my own way. I live a simple life, and will continue to do that over here in the UK. Thanks everyone for your continued support - it is very much appreciated. Rosie
Hello Rosie,
Your adventures are an inspiration to me as I am in roughly the same position - almost in isolation in LA and no support or understanding from family in the UK. I have been so homesick and unhappy for a long time and feel so overwhelmed by the thought of what is entailed in moving back!
I haven't posted on here for months but have been following everyone's stories.
Peigi - congrats on all your wonderful achievements!
Beedubya - thrilled you have made the decision to return.
Rodney - I hang on every word you write..........
High Tide/ David - Good luck on the trip back and please find a lovely place where we can all stay!
Trotty - you always comfort and inspire, thank you.
And everyone else on here - you give me hope that things will turn out exactly how they're meant to.....
Just a little about myself - have been here 32 years, with lengthy working stints in Europe. Started out with husband in Texas , divorced and moved to NYC. Spent years 'on the road' in musical theatre and finally moved to LA about 15 years ago. In '06 I had double hip replacement surgery and have not worked since. I own my small house here and have rented my tiny guest house which covers my mortgage. My Mother's house in Hants, UK is also rented and that's what I have been living on since the surgery. Thank goodness I have scottish blood and can live on peanuts!!! Am still on a green card......
That's it in a nutshell. Just wanted to say thank you all for being here and sharing your stories, they keep me going!
Any suggestions on where to start and where to go would be much appreciated.
Tanto
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:18 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Charleygirl, I am so sorry you feel trapped but maybe it will just be for a few more years until your kids have flown the nest. If so, you and I can commiserate together as I won't be going anywhere for a few years.

Congrats on the job ED. Must be a nice sense of security finally.

Rosie, glad things are working out better now.

Originally Posted by cheers
I just watched the FOX news and the big debate lately is the pat-downs at the airport. They pointed out that the groping by the government employees if it was done by anyone else it would be a felony and you would be put in prison!
Isn't it interesting how Fox News just rediscovered an interest in government intrusions into our lives in this last year and a half. They didn't bat an eyelid for the prior 8 years as people were being locked up without a trial and tortured. I wonder what has changed? I'm trying and trying to think but I just can't come up with an answer

I PROMISE to stop banging on about the Lake District after this, but someone just sent me this link to this compilation of scenery from 'The Trip' without any of the comedy and set to music. If you want to bask in the English countryside for a few minutes, this is for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WTl6MzySjo
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh yes it's a long way is Australia, the land downunder.........my sister came here twice with her husband and that's what she said.......she liked it, but could never live here because it is too far...........from over there......

Was your husband's knee replacement something to do with the journey??
No I didnt explain well...he had the surgery ten weeks before our trip. Just the security is a totally different ball game.......has to turn his pockets out, take off belt, show his scar, get patted down, metal detector and metal wand....three times.....Dallas, LAX and SYD before traveling to Adelaide and back again. Need to be sure to check in really early!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Charleygirl,
I PROMISE to stop banging on about the Lake District after this, but someone just sent me this link to this compilation of scenery from 'The Trip' without any of the comedy and set to music. If you want to bask in the English countryside for a few minutes, this is for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WTl6MzySjo
Thank you for the clip!

For me you can keep it up about the Lake District because its on my list.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the nice comments! I got asked about the Housing 21 application. I can't answer all the questions because I don't have all the answers yet - I have a phone call to make to them tomorrow. I asked for a choice of 3 places, all close to London, but I knew from the outset that those all had waiting lists. So I have also been looking into other places that they rent and that advertise as having vacancies. However, about 3 weeks ago, I made a call to one of the places which states that they have vacancies, and though technically there are vacancies there is still a waiting list! That particular place is in the country, about 4 miles from the closest town, but still has basic needs available: corner store,Post Office, GP, and bus within a half mile. As they said to me - not everyone's cup of tea. But it might be mine... I think I would prefer a small town as opposed to a rural setting, but wherever I get, I would like to be able to call it home for quite a few years.

I will post more after I make a phone call or two tomorrow.

ED: we share the same birth month! Happy day when it arrives, just in case I forget to say that on the actual day.

Rosie
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:31 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
My official title is Recruitment and Placement Officer for one of the largest Health Care agencies in Scotland. I have worked as a Registered Nurse and owned my own agency in Canada for over 20 years, so this job was right up my alley. No, I still haven't recieved the $1100.00 owed to me from the Hotel and I doubt that I will ever see it. What I make covers my expenses and I can afford a few treats during the month. This month was tight with moving and all, but next month should be better, of course I don't have a car but hope to by early spring. Our old offices were not so nice, your normal office type building but no proper place to eat so we all ate at our desks.
It sounds like you are moving to a lovely place ED
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Yippee.....I am now a senior member
You are truly fortunate. I've been a member for 4 years and am still deemed to be a . . . New Member!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.