Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 20th 2010, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Well I have no money but am pretty good at logistics and admin. I will also as it turns out be living pretty close to Heathrow and I know now that DDL/Denise lives near there too. We could turn up at the airport with tea and scones and get the incoming returnee onto the next leg of their journey, oop North with Calle, oop to Scotland with ED/Peigi, down sarf to Rodney in Portsmouth (or is it Plymouth??), SW to Rosie in Somerset or far East England to Jackie, maybe Taffy in Wales will help the Welsh ones and what about David and his partner and their B and B? Will we have these safe havens all over the country or just starting with one? Maybe somewhere in the middle between Heathrow and Manchester as that is where most homing pigeons seem to land first...........what about Don's place in Shropshire???
Hi Barb & EVERYONE out there in oldie land, sorry I havent been able to post for a few days but Im still relying on the library computers, this thread just moves so fast like a silver bullet, no time to catch up --- sorry, but I do thank anyone who has posted me while Ive been in Portsmouth UK, well almost been here 3 weeks now, still havent been mugged --- touch wood --- or sworn at or cursed out yet
Just came from the doctors and picked up my prescription for my (Stop Smoking Kit) ---- its a 12 week course, its tablets, and the doc says they give you weird dreams --- something simular he said to an Acid flash back from the 60's --- my Doc's pretty darn cool,
I think that the drug is pretty expensive but I didn't have to pay anything cause Im over 65, ---- so wish me luck wont you, I feel really positive about it, I have been smoking for 50 years since I was 15, ---- you see now I know that my Sister only has a few weeks or months to live cause of her lung cancer, I have (PROMISED) my Mum that I will give it up, she said she dont want to loose me too,
Im sure you have all heard that Britain is snowed under, and that this December is the coldest one in 100 years, --- it just waited for me to get here you see, --- Ive just bought a nice pair of ankle length boots with a nice hard tough grip on soles so I wont slip up on the ice as Im walking, they are lovely and really good quality and they were just £20,
Yep Barb you can count me in on the half way house, --- No Money like us all but if I can help in any way I will gladly, Im not good at orginizing things though but you Barb and Ed/pegie are I know,
Well ya All take care wont you, Im hoping to get to the stores currys and pc world before the new year and buy my lap top, --- cause the VAT goes up on January 1st 2011 from 17&half to 20%,
Take care,
Rodney.
PS A few days ago I saw Ronnie Corbett on TV he had a special show, it was great, he's still soo funny, and also last week I saw the Royal Command performance at the London Palladium--- WOW I really enjoyed that, it was for two hours, Prince Charles and wife was in the audience,
Old Dec 20th 2010, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am a Gemini.......twin.......split in two LOL!!
Im A Gemini too, yeah a couple of personalities --- but there both good ones
Old Dec 20th 2010, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Monday Morning and its raining.

Had to go to a charity shop because my 40 year daughter dropped some things off at the drive thru and the people who unloaded also took her good stuff that she had for her trip, with the boys, up north and the snow. They couldn't find anything. Oh well now she can replace it all. She has the money!

Went and picked up prescription samples at the doctors and the girl on the front desk had an accent. She said she was from Northampton.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney,
Have you ridden the trains or buses yet?
Did you get a haircut?
Old Dec 20th 2010, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Well it's just over a week since we have been back in Devon and really thought it was time for an update.
Today the town of Teignmouth has virtually been cut off from Exeter and anywhere east thanks to the snow last night. Funnily enough Teignmouth escaped the snow last night but did have freezing rain making roads treacherous. The local supermarket was packed today as people were unable to get to the larger supermarkets such as Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys. It has been a very cold week but we have managed to get around via bus and train and also lifts from family.
We have looked at 3 properties so far including a pink thatched B & B 200 years old. It turned out to be very nice and had 3 lovely ensuite rooms but unfortunately the living accommodation was just too small for us. We then looked at an old Edwardian house which had 2 levels of owner's accommodation along with 3 seperate flats. A very nice old house but it had not been kept up through the years and would take a lot of money to get it up to par. The third property was in Dartmouth ( a lovely boating town where the Royal Naval College is situated) and there we saw a 3 storey 200 year old town house... the best property so far with a fully self contained flat which could be rented as a holiday rental and also 1 room for B & B. The private parts (so to speak) had 3 bedrooms which would work well for us. It is becoming harder to view places with Christmas approaching. Not too many people wanting to show this side of New Year's now. We will view another property in Brixham this Wednesday which is a 3 bedroom bungalow with a separate 2 bedroom cottage which could be a holiday let.

We have been made very welcome here at my sister's and have our own space at the top of the house with views over the English Channel to the front and River Teign on the other side as the house is situated on a peninsula. It will be nice however to find our own place and to have our possessions again. It is a lovely friendly town and it is great to be called darlin and luv when you go shopping. We find a lot of food items much cheaper here as there always seems to be a special of one kind or another and oh the sweets and fudge etc. Only had Devon clotted cream once so far but that is good with Christmas coming up. Will make up for it then.

I hope everyone is well and now I must go and read some of the latest posts. Who is next to arrive ? Is it Jackie ?
Hope you all have a great holiday.
David
Old Dec 20th 2010, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
FWIW, as far as taking the tree down before the New Year, my Dad always said it was bad luck to have it up after New Years Eve. Both his parents were the children of UK immigrants. His mother (whose father was a Geordie and mother from Yorkshire) was especially superstitious, scratch your nose, kiss a fool, your palm itches, you're going to get money, etc, etc,
We were told that the Tree was to be up for the 12 days of Christmas - going up on Christmas Eve and staying up until 12th Night - Jan 5th - as it was bad luck to keep them up longer. Of course many Christmas Trees go up before Christmas Eve but usually my decorations go up the week or so before Christmas - 2 weeks at the most and I usually take them down on or around the 2nd/3rd Jan.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Lorac05.....Yes you are suppose to put the tree up Christmas Eve and take it down on the 6th night. My niece told me last year that as I had not taken it down by that time I would have to keep it up for a whole year and that would break the bad luck spell. She called a while later and informed me that she was just joking. Good job I took it down. Maybe the back luck is hanging in till this year...............

Rodney...Thanks for the updates love to hear from you.Do you think you took the snow with you. Glad to hear about the smoking I hope the flashbacks dont put you back in Las Vegas. Will keep this short as I dont think you will be reading it.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Well I have no money but am pretty good at logistics and admin. I will also as it turns out be living pretty close to Heathrow and I know now that DDL/Denise lives near there too. We could turn up at the airport with tea and scones and get the incoming returnee onto the next leg of their journey, oop North with Calle, oop to Scotland with ED/Peigi, down sarf to Rodney in Portsmouth (or is it Plymouth??), SW to Rosie in Somerset or far East England to Jackie, maybe Taffy in Wales will help the Welsh ones and what about David and his partner and their B and B? Will we have these safe havens all over the country or just starting with one? Maybe somewhere in the middle between Heathrow and Manchester as that is where most homing pigeons seem to land first...........what about Don's place in Shropshire???
Originally Posted by Tanto
Yes, my mind is spinning with these same thoughts, Barb (great minds think alike)!! Where on earth would we start? Maybe one location somewhere closer to Heathrow to begin - the middle sounds sensible as a home base, and then expand to other parts of the country (nothing like being optimistic)? Maybe ex-ex pats would have a spare room for returnees (as you suggested)? Rodney's in Portsmouth,by the way......David and partner were heading southwest, I think..............I was hopeful that their B&B could be a possible 'safe house'. We could put out a request for help with accommodation. I really like the welcoming committee with tea and scones (perhaps a glass of sherry), and some flag waving?
It's really late here and I'm rambling, but I feel shot through with energy by this whole idea!!!
Must try to get to sleep.........
Tanto
I think this is a brilliant idea and if we were able to help out in some way we would be very happy to. It remains to be seen what type of property we end up with at the moment. It could be a B & B or holiday lets or a house with a couple of flats to rent. So whichever way we go we could possibly help in some way. I think the meet and greet at the airport is a lovely idea for those with no family here so that they can be helped on their way to their destination. Getting them to the train or bus station for their journey.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 4:16 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
FWIW, as far as taking the tree down before the New Year, my Dad always said it was bad luck to have it up after New Years Eve. Both his parents were the children of UK immigrants. His mother (whose father was a Geordie and mother from Yorkshire) was especially superstitious, scratch your nose, kiss a fool, your palm itches, you're going to get money, etc, etc,
Growing up in Wales we had to take the tree down for new years eve. So never had it up more than 6 days past Christmas. I'd don't like seeing them at the curb here on Boxing day. We pretty much had a Christmas party that lasted from Christmas eve to New year it was fantastic, Grandma had a big house with 4 big bedrooms and she set the place up like dormitories, everyone stayed over and if they had work they went to work from her house and back for the evening revelry
I miss the Christmas specials in UK, here they seem to show the movies, in the run upto Christmas day so we watch those, so far I've seen, A Christmas story, Chirstmas with the Kranks, It's a wonderful life, The Christmas clause I forget what else.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

This thread moves so quickly, I read everything with interest. I would return to my beloved London whether or not I had health insurance, in fact I don't. I would like to grow old where I feel at home and not an outsider. That lovely poem Mother England, thanks! I am english in my heart and am only happy when I am there. To one and all of you lovely people, I wish you all a very happy Christmas, I was watching Songs of Praise on BBC1 last night (thank God for the internet) with tears rolling down my eyes, they receated an Edwardian Christmas and the carols people used to sing. Like alot of people here have said it is a sad time as well reflecting on the Christmases past. We are off to London weather permitting on Wednesday, I will try to post over Christmas from my son's house in Collier's Wood. Take care all.
Pat
Old Dec 20th 2010, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Barb & EVERYONE out there in oldie land, sorry I havent been able to post for a few days but Im still relying on the library computers, this thread just moves so fast like a silver bullet, no time to catch up --- sorry, but I do thank anyone who has posted me while Ive been in Portsmouth UK, well almost been here 3 weeks now, still havent been mugged --- touch wood --- or sworn at or cursed out yet
Just came from the doctors and picked up my prescription for my (Stop Smoking Kit) ---- its a 12 week course, its tablets, and the doc says they give you weird dreams --- something simular he said to an Acid flash back from the 60's --- my Doc's pretty darn cool,
I think that the drug is pretty expensive but I didn't have to pay anything cause Im over 65, ---- so wish me luck wont you, I feel really positive about it, I have been smoking for 50 years since I was 15, ---- you see now I know that my Sister only has a few weeks or months to live cause of her lung cancer, I have (PROMISED) my Mum that I will give it up, she said she dont want to loose me too,
Im sure you have all heard that Britain is snowed under, and that this December is the coldest one in 100 years, --- it just waited for me to get here you see, --- Ive just bought a nice pair of ankle length boots with a nice hard tough grip on soles so I wont slip up on the ice as Im walking, they are lovely and really good quality and they were just £20,
Yep Barb you can count me in on the half way house, --- No Money like us all but if I can help in any way I will gladly, Im not good at orginizing things though but you Barb and Ed/pegie are I know,
Well ya All take care wont you, Im hoping to get to the stores currys and pc world before the new year and buy my lap top, --- cause the VAT goes up on January 1st 2011 from 17&half to 20%,
Take care,
Rodney.
PS A few days ago I saw Ronnie Corbett on TV he had a special show, it was great, he's still soo funny, and also last week I saw the Royal Command performance at the London Palladium--- WOW I really enjoyed that, it was for two hours, Prince Charles and wife was in the audience,
Hi Rodney I can't believe you arrived from the furnace of Las Vegas to the worst winter in 100 years I really hope you and your mum can try and enjoy your first white xmas as I know the terrible time you are going through at the moment. Good luck with the smokes, I am in my 3rd year now since giving up and I am glad, not only for health reasons but the cost of them as well. Denise2
Old Dec 20th 2010, 5:27 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorac05
It's nothing to do with the shops being full of Christmas stuff from November (or earlier) - that has been the case for many years. It is the actual celebrating of the holiday that is so different between the two countries. As you can see in the UK there are many Christmas Special's on over the actual Christmas period from Dec 24th (and some in the week runup) until just after New Year. Here in the US it is specials sporadically from Thanksgiving until Christmas Day and then that's it - it's done. Maybe I'm not explaining it very well - I just am aware of a different feeling in regards to Christmas over in the US from being in the UK.

I've always felt that people in the UK are much bigger television watchers than in the US. People here are really into their telly, the stars, etc.

I've always believed that some of that is down to the fact that at night there's nothing else to do ... shops are closed, etc., whereas in the States everything stays open so late, many even 24 hours.

I mean, when people plan their Christmas Day plans around the Christmas specials that are on telly, that really proves my point!

Television watching is an art form here. I say this with tongue firmly implanted in cheek.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 6:14 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

Television watching is an art form here. I say this with tongue firmly implanted in cheek.

We were never allowed to watch TV over Christmas, I was so happy as a teen when VCR's can along and I could tape all the Christmas stuff I wanted to see.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Hi everyone. Today I had my Canadian Citizenship ceremony in Toronto. There were 106 of us from all corners of the globe - it took 3 hours from start to finish as we all received our certificates and citizenship cards at the same time. Some people went straight off to the passport office! Actually it was lovely, light snow outside gave a festive atmosphere to the proceedings. The judge was delightful and extremely chatty - he said that becoming a Canadian citizen is like getting married - in that you never ever stop loving your mother! Of course that made me feel so much better.

Sal, I am pleased to report the cassette has gone replaced by DVD's and electronic screens. Afterwards everyone was congratulating each other and having their photos taken with the judge. When I got back to work my office had been plastered with Canadian flags. Cute...
Old Dec 20th 2010, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

So I just got back home from Costco and Target. I got tested with the traffic and people in the shops blocking the isles...
My big beef was going into Costco and I was looking for 'deals' on the Christmas seasonal stuff. It was all gone (to charity). I'm caught in the middle with being retired on a fixed income and not eligible for charity. I WANT THOSE BOXES OF CHOCOLATES THAT COSTCO COULDN'T SELL.
I went in the charity shop and there were mobs of people in there. They have a lot of merchandise that is new and still in their packages. I was looking for my daughters clothes that they took in error and I couldn't find them.

Windsong will love this. All these people buying secondhand clothes including shoes. I have never in my life had to wear second hand clothes even during the second world war. These people shopping today looked like regular middle class people. Is the economy bad? Not here. The restaurants are full for the lunch crowd.

Whats going on???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.