Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 18th 2010, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Oh Boy, Not You As Well...

We live in Christmas tree country, within a few miles of my home there has to be a million or more of them, we had a Christmas tree farm in our back yard until developers built homes.

We had real trees for years, my wife always wanted the perfect tree, we'd find it, chop it down and bring it home, it was always too tall, and getting it in that stand perfectly was always a challenge, Id sometimes give up and shim one corner with books.

We had a few different stands, some had screws in the side, my favorite was the one in which you had to drill a six inch hole in the trunk, if you didn't get it exactly right you'd have to cut off six inches and try again hahahaaa...

We'd have to get two tree's, one for us and one for my parents, plus dress them both, finally about five years ago we bought a Martha Stewart tree, it rotates with lights built in, it was nice and still is except ever since the 2nd time we used it the lights were a problem, some work some don't, every year we seem to waste an hour trying to make them all work. Ahhhhhh its Made in China.

We always give up, it doesn't rotate and we put our old lights on it, My wife always sneaks out and gets some pine cones off a tree that hangs over our fence, at least we don't have to clean up needles and worry about sap.

I still have a big old red and green stand Trotty if you want it...
Yup, me too..sorry abt the christmas tree farmers...

tina
Old Dec 18th 2010, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
You know you have to find the humour in this. Right now the tree is straight. Only because I have a book squeezed under one side of the tree stand. I wouldnt mind but I had a really good stand that I used for years but decided to sell it last year Didnt think I would need it. Dah.

Mummy..The dog trying to bite my feet was the last straw, the more I tried to move my foot around the more she thought I was playing. Everything was dry this morning. I kinda smell like a Christmas tree, must be in my hair. I think the remark that got me today was my dear hubby telling me that there was a bare spot with no lights
SO funny...oh dear.
Tina
Old Dec 18th 2010, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Well, for those who were asking about Wee Mac, he is lovely and although it might be because I am his mommy, he is quite smart. He already follows me all over the house and has to be close to where I am sitting to go to sleep. He loves to cuddle, I was also taking care of my friends wee dog and I was not sure how Rudy would take to a new puppy, but they got on great together, although I am not sure if Rudy thought that Mac was a wind up toy or not He has also started to get a hand on the potty training part of his life and that is always the hardest part of the puppy years.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi Everyone,

Well, for those who were asking about Wee Mac, he is lovely and although it might be because I am his mommy, he is quite smart. He already follows me all over the house and has to be close to where I am sitting to go to sleep. He loves to cuddle, I was also taking care of my friends wee dog and I was not sure how Rudy would take to a new puppy, but they got on great together, although I am not sure if Rudy thought that Mac was a wind up toy or not He has also started to get a hand on the potty training part of his life and that is always the hardest part of the puppy years.
Thanks for the report! Do you know how to send pictures?
Much snow ur way?
Old Dec 18th 2010, 8:01 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Mummy..The dog trying to bite my feet was the last straw, the more I tried to move my foot around the more she thought I was playing. Everything was dry this morning. I kinda smell like a Christmas tree, must be in my hair. I think the remark that got me today was my dear hubby telling me that there was a bare spot with no lights
He's dicing with death by looking for a bare spot on the tree

Hi Everyone,

Aww he sounds like a lovely little dog. Now you have to post his picture.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 9:35 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
When I was 7, I fell and hurt myself. I can't remember what I did, but there was a dressing and removing it was painful. One night I started crying before my mum started to remove the bandage. I remember sobbing and saying 'I'm sorry for being upset."

Mum said 'why are you sorry?"

I said "because it means I'm not brave."

And she pushed my hair back from my face and said "oh sweetie ...being brave doesn't mean not being upset - it means the opposite. It means that even when you're upset, you find a way to get through it."

So I think you are every bit as strong as you appear, and whether you cry or not has nothing to do with it.
Ah that was lovely Sally, brought a tear to my eye, what a lovely mum you have.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 9:39 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I would add some seasonal tone here. Pull up a chair and listen.

A few days ago my daughter called and said that she hoped we would have a tree for Christmas. I had thought I would not bother but decided not to disappoint anyone. So we bought one and a stand. A cheap stand but I thought only for one year. I had got rid of my good one during my garage sale

We put the tree up my hubby fitted it into the stand and I filled it with water, put the lights and ornaments on and stood back and admired my beautiful tree.

My hubby went to bed and I came on the computer which is in the next room. All of a sudden I heard a loud thud I ran thinking my hubby had fallen but no he was in bed. When I went into the living room there was the tree flat on its back ornaments all over the place , water everywhere.

Fixing it proved difficult. We put it back into the stand my hubby tightened the screws again and made sure it was straight. We stood back to look at it and while standing admiring it the dam thing started to ever so gently lean forward and fall again. We both made a dash for it and caught it before it fell. Hubby concluded that the cheap stand I had bought was not strong enough to hold the dam tree. So we put it back into the stand me lying on my belly water soaking me, the dog thinking I was playing was chewing on my socks and trying to pull them off. Having decided the stand would not be able to hold the tree in place we now have rope tide around the middle of the tree and tied to the curtain rail While I was trying to tie it to the rail I turned around and the dog had decided that the rope was a toy and was pulling on one end of it. She thought the whole thing was playtime. Racing around like a speeding bullet. Eyeing up the ornaments till I shouted at her.

It now looks like a very sad tree, leaning slightly towards the curtain rail branches broken and the tree skirt soaking in water. I can guarantee as soon as my son and daughter walk into the room they will ask why is the tree leaning and I will immediately obliterate them both.

I sit here with wet feet my nighties all wet and I am quite calm

You do get into some pickles at your house, there was the carpet cleaning one, and the 3 legged dog and the chimney sweep and now your drunken leaning tree.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 9:42 pm
Home Sweet Home

DDL..My favourite person is Charles Dickens. My hubby bought me a collection of his works years ago I still have them. I will make sure to take that walk when I come home.
I love Charles Dickens too and was thinking of doing the walk the same as Denise, I have only ever done the Jack The Ripper walk before.

The guided tours are really good as they take you into all these little alleys and point out things in streets you would not necessarily have noticed before.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 9:45 pm
Home Sweet Home

Hi Everyone,

Well done Mummy Pics of the wee baby would be nice please.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Hello Ed, we are glad youve got Wee Mac, I can tell a fee of us were worried, what a nice Christmas you will have.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Id like to wish Everyone a Merry Christmas, I will be gone for a week or so, you guys take care and have fun, I wont forget about the lonely people this Christmas.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 10:09 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

We've really been hammered with snow here in Greater London. Glad I don't have any travel plans.

Watched the "Strictly Come Dancing" final tonight. Can't believe how we've been glued to this programme every Saturday night for the past 3 months! Now we're looking forward to all the upcoming Christmas programmes, especially the Dr. Who Christmas special that will feature Michael Gambon.

And a big Thank You to those posters who stick to the subject of this thread.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 10:18 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Id like to wish Everyone a Merry Christmas, I will be gone for a week or so, you guys take care and have fun, I wont forget about the lonely people this Christmas.
Hope you and Mrs Fish have a good Christmas too. Don't tell me you are going to a place where there is no Internet???

I think I would go crazy without my laptop LOL!!
Old Dec 18th 2010, 10:24 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by DDL
We've really been hammered with snow here in Greater London. Glad I don't have any travel plans.

Watched the "Strictly Come Dancing" final tonight. Can't believe how we've been glued to this programme every Saturday night for the past 3 months! Now we're looking forward to all the upcoming Christmas programmes, especially the Dr. Who Christmas special that will feature Michael Gambon.

And a big Thank You to those posters who stick to the subject of this thread.
I have seen my families snowy pics on Facebook today Denise, looks like the whole country has copped it! I know it's cold and icy and dangerous for some people to go outside and all that, but it looks so beautiful from where I am sitting.

Oh yes the Brits do like to get into their TV programmes. I was RIGHT INTO the X factor when I was over there, I even phoned up to vote for my favourite and I have never done that before!! It's like the whole country gets behind a programme, can't explain it but let's put it this way I haven't even put my Aussie TV on for about 3 weeks now.

Yesterday I spent about 4 hours on youtube watching all these old Red Nose and Children in Need comedy specials, I can't wait to get into all that again.........and the snow.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

trotty very funny story same thing happened to me back in 1983 my first christmas in california, I cut down my own tree......got it home and I had grown up with nothing and so to be able to do this was amazing, went to the store came home found it fallen over and all the baubles smashed, sat and cried for an hour......
Fish have a great time.
Ed so happy about your dog,
DDL enjoy the snow hahaha be us soon Eh Trotty?!
Everyone else have a great Christmas.

And on the citizen thing, it was not something I ever wanted to do but have to.....and those who know me and my story will know my reasons. I actually had not know about the wording of the oath til I got into the Court house.........in fact i thought he pledge was the oath
But I will be honest I would do what I have to do for me.......
When I took the test I was told that I would be expected to not use the passport of my birth country but there is no written law against it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.