Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Lorac05
Love Christmas Pudding (in moderation) , Christmas Cake (in moderation) and Mincepies (lots and lots ). My Mother use to make all these over the half term holiday in October - soaking the fruits in alcohol before it went in puddings, cakes and mincemeat and then sporadically pouring alcohol into the puddings and cakes over the period running up the Christmas to give us a really rich but moist cake and pudding - very yummy. It use to take a full day to make all the cakes, puddings and mincemeat as family members had "put in their order" but it was fun
Sorry Lorac, but you never mentioned the Trifles , Ah! the trifles, with Sherry soaked into the trifle sponges - I made one here last year for the nurses from the local Clinic/hospital, and when they came, each got one of my fairy cakes, and some trifle, and loved it - no complaints - nothing quite like it here! love dontheturner.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Sorry Lorac, but you never mentioned the Trifles , Ah! the trifles, with Sherry soaked into the trifle sponges - I made one here last year for the nurses from the local Clinic/hospital, and when they came, each got one of my fairy cakes, and some trifle, and loved it - no complaints - nothing quite like it here! love dontheturner.
Love sherry trifle (with real sherry) lol!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Never mentioned the trifles because that question wasn't asked . But yes we use to make those as well - Black Cherry Sherry Trifle being a fav - with real fresh cream on top - a favourite of my Dad's. I plan on making one next Christmas when I am home (positive thinking here) and inviting my family round for Christmas Day
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
Never mentioned the trifles because that question wasn't asked . But yes we use to make those as well - Black Cherry Sherry Trifle being a fav - with real fresh cream on top - a favourite of my Dad's. I plan on making one next Christmas when I am home (positive thinking here) and inviting my family round for Christmas Day
Oohhhhh!! Now, you are talking!!!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Oohhhhh!! Now, you are talking!!!
MMMMMMMM my Mom makes the best trifle..I can almost taste it...
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:51 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Cheers. I will go and do that

Cheers, I found some that say "Doc Martin". Is this it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_bQtLpBjyM
Thats it but if you go to www.hulu.com you can watch whole episodes, it's very funny.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Cheers. I will go and do that

Cheers, I found some that say "Doc Martin". Is this it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_bQtLpBjyM
Yes, Yes!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Yes, Yes!
Once I got into it, I was pretty sure it was the right one. I think I may have found another addiction

OMG!!! I am watching this Doc Martin program and it has me in stitches!! That gormless idiot that looks like an emergency vehicle person lol!! I love British humor )

Last edited by windsong; Dec 20th 2010 at 2:03 am.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Thats it but if you go to www.hulu.com you can watch whole episodes, it's very funny.
Thanks, Mummy. I will do that. Is it still running in the UK? I love how you can see the beautiful countryside
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Mummy. I will do that. Is it still running in the UK? I love how you can see the beautiful countryside
You'll love that when the Doc tells people to Shut Up!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

They are going to shoot another series in 2011.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Many years ago when I lived in Chester I went out to dinner and had the best trifle I have ever had. Even better than my Mums but I do not remember the actual ingredients. I know it had a jam roll in the bottom soaked in sherry and the best tasting custard, not sure if it had fruit in it. It did have jelly but as far as I can remember not a vast amount. it had thick cream on top but it was perfection. I have never been able to recreate it.

Loved the Royle Family and Doc Martin.

DDL....Must admit I showed my age when I actually thought you were talking about Noddy and Big Ears

dgjamison. In a perfect world and I had loads of money I would spend 3months in the US probably in Newport R.I. area and the rest of the time in the UK. There are some beautiful areas in R.I. When we moved to California from Floriday we drove the whole way with 3 little children it was the best time. We went through some absolutely beautiful areas. One that stuck in my mind all these years was Kerryville in Texas.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

It has been on the "B" for the last few years and is now on the PBS stations over here. It was on last night in our area. You would love it. Go on YouTube and type in Doctor Martin and you can view lots of episodes. Tip. right down the series number and episode so you see the same thing again.
B is an acronim for BBC
Most English people call it
''The Beeb''
- never heard it called the B!! dontheturner

Last edited by dontheturner; Dec 20th 2010 at 2:43 am. Reason: E
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Many years ago when I lived in Chester I went out to dinner and had the best trifle I have ever had. Even better than my Mums but I do not remember the actual ingredients. I know it had a jam roll in the bottom soaked in sherry and the best tasting custard, not sure if it had fruit in it. It did have jelly but as far as I can remember not a vast amount. it had thick cream on top but it was perfection. I have never been able to recreate it.

Loved the Royle Family and Doc Martin.

DDL....Must admit I showed my age when I actually thought you were talking about Noddy and Big Ears

dgjamison. In a perfect world and I had loads of money I would spend 3months in the US probably in Newport R.I. area and the rest of the time in the UK. There are some beautiful areas in R.I. When we moved to California from Floriday we drove the whole way with 3 little children it was the best time. We went through some absolutely beautiful areas. One that stuck in my mind all these years was Kerryville in Texas.
Gosh, I haven't heard of Noddy in years but I loved Noddy!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

They are going to shoot another series in 2011.
I will look forward to that, Cheers Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.