Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
WOW..Gotta play by the rules tho, just coz she got away with it, doesnt mean its ok...
her mother was a Brit so she is probably under the wire.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I think origionally it was, when the Pilgrims started it, but not anymore, its just an excuse to eat a huge meal and watch football..
Dd is in Kindergarten this year and I've been helping out in class, as Thanksgiving gets closer I have to giggle to myself quietly as the teacher tells the kids a bunch of hooey about Thanksgiving.
They are making Indian head dresses and pilgrim hats and having a "feast" on Wednesday
She goes on about the first thanksgiving where the pilgrims and Indians became friends and had a feast together. Of course no mentions of killing off the Indians, stealing their land, killing the buffalo giving them diseases that they had never come across etc etc etc. Lots of parents at the school don't like the whitewash.
Heres one of the versions
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:06 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
It actually started when the pilgrims arrived in North America and at the beginning of the first winter their crops had not been very good at all. Mostly becuse they had brought the seeds from the old country and they would not grow in the soil. The native Americans went to the pigrims fort and brought them corn, wild turkeys, berries including wild cranberries etc, and on that day they all sat down together and gave thanks for the harvest etc., I think it was in New England somewhere.
DH says, if the indians had given the pilgrims a donkey would we all be having a piece of a** for Thanksgiving (* = s)
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
DH says, if the indians had given the pilgrims a donkey would we all be having a piece of a** for Thanksgiving (* = s)
LOL..good one..
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by jasper123
Tanto,
Please dont ever think that people on here will ever think when they are reading your posts that you are boring, I am boring myself at times I think, but still everyone reads my posts and many respond,
Barb said it right ---- on here we can just be ourselves, nobody is expecting anything from us at all, just to air our feelings about the fears/concerns/doubts/no doubts, happiness, like trottytrue the founder of this thread often says --- we all have something in common, we all are either thinking of going back home to UK, or others have made definite plans and dates, and others have already left the nest and are now over there living there dream, and we live our dream through (THEM) --- we all live in different parts of the world, but were all expats, a few are not though, those people live in UK but they often give us much valuable advice about life in UK now, we help each other through the hard times that we go through, and we are full of happiness when someone is happy for whatever reason like everything is starting to come together for them, and we are sad when things are not going so good for other people,
We give advice when we can and you will be absolutely amazed on here all the helpful information on a vast amount of subjects that people give, we are all in a certain age group that we as a large group of people ---- now especially that we have grown so big on this thread, each have there own experiences of life that we share and each with there own brand of knowledge,
As The saying goes knowledge is wealth ---- and on here we are soooooo Rich,
Rich cause we know each other,
Welcome Tanto and also to all the other new posters welcome, and to all you lurkers out there that often read our posts on here --- but dont post at all, well all I can say is you can jump in anytime you know --- we are a very friendly bunch on here, I bet most of you are oldies like us too
Take care ya all,
Rodney.
Thank you Rodney,
Wise and comforting words! You have been a constant inspiration - you've made the whole process of repatriating sound so easy. You just seem to get on with the job, whatever it is and don't spend time dithering. Maybe it helped for you to have a deadline (your booked airline ticket), giving you a certain time frame to accomplish everything, despite a few setbacks (health issues). You always seem to have time for everyone too......
I had a thought a while ago when you were talking of all your travels. I think there's definitely a book in you! I can't hear enough of your stories (we've all probably got a book in us), I mean, look at Bryson!! Anyway, just a thought.....
I spent some time during my last visits to the UK, on Hayling Island. My Mother's best friend lives there now. We spent a day in Portsmouth (WW2 museum), Bosham, Chichester, Havant, etc. It's a surprisingly interesting area.....
Gosh, you're on the countdown to your departure!!! What will we do without you? I know you promised to keep in contact when you get home - please don't forget us!
Thanks again, Rodney.
Tanto
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

WOW..Gotta play by the rules tho, just coz she got away with it, doesnt mean its ok...
If she knew she had a Canadian passport them she must have known she needed do her citizenship at some point I remember something similar happening a few years back, but the woman had never left the country and had no idea she was born elsewhere till they dug out her birth certificate to get her a passport (I think she was born in the US) So she took steps to become a citizen.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:11 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by J.J
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Rod,

I think the US and the UK is going through a financial melt down and the people are going to really feel the changes in their life styles.

Next the NHS is going to be revamped and people are going to have to pay for services, that were free, but nothing they can't handle. These are my opinions. My crystal ball. Remember we are going to pass on our government debts to our great grandchildren to pay.
Hello Cheers.

We can thank the greedy cons on wall street for the U.K. U.S. meltdown, they created this problem to line their own pockets, of course all of them were trusting each other but Greed always rules and some of these so called smart people got conned, either way we get to pay the bill.

Id love to see those people behind bars or worse, and I mean every single one of them, how come nobody has had a day in jail over this, you and I would be put in jail for much less.

NHS revamp and paying for services, I've heard that one before, it may happen but it cant be anything as bad as here, I hope your Crystal ball is wrong.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:21 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday by accident I stumbled upon The Lounge on this forum. There is a thread there started by a guy working in a low paid job in the USA out of necessity as he has a family. The writing is superb and I can understand more now after reading the last few posts on our bit of BE where you are all talking about working conditions and holidays and sick pay and the like. It just goes to show you how good the USA is in putting a spin on the "Land of the Free and the Brave" - I do believe everybody thinks it is the land of golden opportunity but after reading the last few days posts on here from our lot and the post on The Lounge, I have completely changed my viewpoint.

Be warned if you are of a sensitive nature you may be offended as there is a bit of language used, but not bad in comparison to what you normally hear nowadays........big posts from the OP.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=693273
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:23 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanto
Thank you Rodney,
Wise and comforting words! You have been a constant inspiration - you've made the whole process of repatriating sound so easy. You just seem to get on with the job, whatever it is and don't spend time dithering. Maybe it helped for you to have a deadline (your booked airline ticket), giving you a certain time frame to accomplish everything, despite a few setbacks (health issues). You always seem to have time for everyone too......
I had a thought a while ago when you were talking of all your travels. I think there's definitely a book in you! I can't hear enough of your stories (we've all probably got a book in us), I mean, look at Bryson!! Anyway, just a thought.....
I spent some time during my last visits to the UK, on Hayling Island. My Mother's best friend lives there now. We spent a day in Portsmouth (WW2 museum), Bosham, Chichester, Havant, etc. It's a surprisingly interesting area.....
Gosh, you're on the countdown to your departure!!! What will we do without you? I know you promised to keep in contact when you get home - please don't forget us!
Thanks again, Rodney.
Tanto
Yes Tanto,

I think the key is to START at the very beginning, like Rodney you need to get your US citizenship.......'cos you never know which way our path is going to turn.........that's a good start......and then you are off heading down that yellow brick road to you know where.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yesterday by accident I stumbled upon The Lounge on this forum. There is a thread there started by a guy working in a low paid job in the USA out of necessity as he has a family. The writing is superb and I can understand more now after reading the last few posts on our bit of BE where you are all talking about working conditions and holidays and sick pay and the like. It just goes to show you how good the USA is in putting a spin on the "Land of the Free and the Brave" - I do believe everybody thinks it is the land of golden opportunity but after reading the last few days posts on here from our lot and the post on The Lounge, I have completely changed my viewpoint.

Be warned if you are of a sensitive nature you may be offended as there is a bit of language used, but not bad in comparison to what you normally hear nowadays........big posts from the OP.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=693273
Bee,
I also read that post, and although it did make me chuckle on occasion (mainly because of the writers wit) it is a sad reality in this country.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:32 pm
Home Sweet Home

Bee,
I also read that post, and although it did make me chuckle on occasion (mainly because of the writers wit) it is a sad reality in this country.
I honestly have been quite shocked these last few days......

And Jackie I see you live in the same town as Rodney, are you guys catching up for a cuppa before he heads off home?
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

I honestly have been quite shocked these last few days......

And Jackie I see you live in the same town as Rodney, are you guys catching up for a cuppa before he heads off home?
We do live in the same town, and although I would like to meet Rodney, I am still a little under the weather, and dont know if I will be able to see him before he leaves. I do intend to keep in touch with him and everyone else on here tho...
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

You are thinking of the Harvest Festival where you take food to church and they give it to the poor and needy.
Hello Barb, I do know about the UKs religious festivals, as I was forced to attend them, as well as being forced to join the local church choir. Hated it.
I had heard of thanksgiving , of course, but did not actually know what it entailed, as I an not a film buff.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:14 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by bluenose123
Hello Barb, I do know about the UKs religious festivals, as I was forced to attend them, as well as being forced to join the local church choir. Hated it.
I had heard of thanksgiving , of course, but did not actually know what it entailed, as I an not a film buff.
Oh I was just being a smart a** LOL!!

I joined the same church choir as Paul McCartney was in (not at the same time!! he is MUCH older than me LOL!! ). My friend and I only joined as we heard you got paid, well you know how it is, 14 year olds scrabbling around for pocket money.

But we resigned after about 3 weeks as we found out only BOYS got paid not girls!!!

Last edited by Beedubya; Nov 22nd 2010 at 9:20 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.