Other side of the coin...

Old Jan 7th 2007, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

CHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud of
Default Re: Other side of the coin...

Originally Posted by Grayling
Alternatively....you could have a nice house in the peak district, no mortgage, a good pension, money in the bank, no worries about crime..........In an ideal world, yes, wouldn't it be nice to have both!

....and a visa to live in Australia when you choose
We've got the visa, but also the morgage etc as we are below pensionable age! Not really realistic to expect to have both...
Old Jan 7th 2007, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

What do you want out of life? What is important to you ie Family? Are you capable of going to another country without support and start afresh. What lifestyle do you want and are you capable of getting it? It isn't about anyone else it is about you and what you want out of life and whether you can actually achieve it wherever you go. Have you actually ever lived more than one place and had to start over again? How close are you to your partner, because until you make some friends, and get work they are going to be around you 24/7.

Unless you can afford to live in a good area where crime is low, you will be asking these questions wherever you are in a western society if you don't have the money.

The bottom like is Jamie, is whatever the answers are, they will be to your situation. Everyone is an individual with different needs.

Originally Posted by JAMIEKERRIE
Having read some of the threads in the returning to the uk forum, I know some people have obviously had genuinely bad experiences in Aus through bad luck/no fault of there own, etc, and it is human nature to feel "BITTER" re any bad experience, indeed we may feel the same way ourselves in 2 years' time, but it seems to me that most are gripeing about things that are NOT really important issues, eg like missing Tescos/Aus phrases, which proves my point, would these things even bother these people if things had worked out? I suspect not....water off a ducks back, me thinks...

Anyway, personally, again we may feel differently in 2years time, but I think some of the "real" issues are if we don't give it a go and STAY in the UK are:-

* Do I feel safe walking round to my local shops after dark?

* Would I want to bring up children in the aggressive environment that is the UK/what opportunities are there for them with no apprenterships, etc, anymore, ie for the person of average intelliegence, other than working in a warehouse?

* Will I have a pension when I retire?

* Do I really want to spend the rest of my life in a country where for 7 months of the year it is too cold/wet/dark to really do anything but watch tv or be in the pub?

etc, etc....Think about it...
Old Jan 7th 2007, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

CHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mercedes
What do you want out of life? What is important to you ie Family? Are you capable of going to another country without support and start afresh. What lifestyle do you want and are you capable of getting it? It isn't about anyone else it is about you and what you want out of life and whether you can actually achieve it wherever you go. Have you actually ever lived more than one place and had to start over again? How close are you to your partner, because until you make some friends, and get work they are going to be around you 24/7.

Unless you can afford to live in a good area where crime is low, you will be asking these questions wherever you are in a western society if you don't have the money.

The bottom like is Jamie, is whatever the answers are, they will be to your situation. Everyone is an individual with different needs.
You have made some good points, but in response, we are already meeting new friends vier these forums, have even met up with a very nice couple who are local to us, we both feel we have "out-grown" our current circle of friends, who we have seen a very different side to, if you get my drift, since we announced our intentions.

We believe in life it is good to meet new friends and to move on when necessary, ie, not stand still. We also acknowledge we will ALWAYS miss our family, although I have an aunt, uncle and 3 cousins local to where we want to settle in Aus, and accept we will be PEOPLE sick NOT home sick from time to time.

We are thinking long-term, ie where, all being well, we would rather be in 5,15,30 yrs time (retirement) and believe all things considered, we can have a better quality of life, making more of our free time, etc, due to the better climate, as we are constantly fustrated at weekends, etc.

We also believe, assuming we can find work (My partner as already been offered interviews and I have been in contact with a careers councellor at the local Uni, etc) that we can have a higher standard of living than we ever could in the UK, as the equity we would put down would mean we would only need a small mortgage.

Don't get me wrong, we like to think we have a nice life in the UK, we own our own home, have a car each, go on foreign holidays etc, so it is not like we are just "Running away", it's a case of, like you say, what is important to the individual, ie each to there own...

Besides, if the worst comes to the worst, we can always come back...we just don't want any regrets that we didn't "give it a go" further down the line...
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Having read some of the threads in the returning to the uk forum, I know some people have obviously had genuinely bad experiences in Aus through bad luck/no fault of there own, etc, and it is human nature to feel "BITTER" re any bad experience, indeed we may feel the same way ourselves in 2 years' time, but it seems to me that most are gripeing about things that are NOT really important issues, eg like missing Tescos/Aus phrases, which proves my point, would these things even bother these people if things had worked out? I suspect not....water off a ducks back, me thinks...

Anyway, personally, again we may feel differently in 2years time, but I think some of the "real" issues are if we don't give it a go and STAY in the UK are:-

* Do I feel safe walking round to my local shops after dark?

* Would I want to bring up children in the aggressive environment that is the UK/what opportunities are there for them with no apprenterships, etc, anymore, ie for the person of average intelliegence, other than working in a warehouse?

* Will I have a pension when I retire?

* Do I really want to spend the rest of my life in a country where for 7 months of the year it is too cold/wet/dark to really do anything but watch tv or be in the pub?

etc, etc....Think about it...
Who said missing Tesco was a "real" issue (apart from you)? Are you sure you're not jumping to conclusions? Why is it that every minor detail that is discussed on this forum has to be analysed and people condemmed for it? It's just chit-chat, for goodness sake!

How about going to the Oz forum and telling the people who rave on about how great the fresh fruit is, compared to the UK, that this is not a real issue, and therefore should not be discussed.

I agree that living in a nice climate brings lots of benefits....but are you really that dull that you don't do anything other than watch TV or go to the pub for 7 months of the year?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Who said missing Tesco was a "real" issue (apart from you)? Are you sure you're not jumping to conclusions? Why is it that every minor detail that is discussed on this forum has to be analysed and people condemmed for it? It's just chit-chat, for goodness sake!

How about going to the Oz forum and telling the people who rave on about how great the fresh fruit is, compared to the UK, that this is not a real issue, and therefore should not be discussed.

I agree that living in a nice climate brings lots of benefits....but are you really that dull that you don't do anything other than watch TV or go to the pub for 7 months of the year?
No, of course i'm not, is that not analysing what I said now!?Anyway, I think you get the jist of what I was trying to say...
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I think you get the jist of what I was trying to say...
Not really....you just sound angry. Is it because some people have the visa and, effectively, don't want it, yet you haven't got one but want one?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:42 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you live - the Faeroe Islands?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:49 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
good luck

<northernbird puts tin hat on and waits.....>
Can't be arsed TBH... Much too soon since the last load of similar bollocks...
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:56 pm
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

ROLL UP, ROLL UP, get your tickets, next ride on the 'you aren't trying hard enough, and do you really know what the UK is like' merry-goround leaving shortly. If you're quick you'll just have time for some candy floss
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by elfman
Where do you live - the Faeroe Islands?
Even they play football in the winter and go fishing.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by FPM
ROLL UP, ROLL UP, get your tickets, next ride on the 'you aren't trying hard enough, and do you really know what the UK is like' merry-goround leaving shortly. If you're quick you'll just have time for some candy floss
Sorry, it's winter here....I can't bear to go outside. Besides, Eastenders, the Bill, National Lottery, Big Brother, X-factor and Jeremy Kyle are on this evening.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:08 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, it's winter here....I can't bear to go outside. Besides, Eastenders, the Bill, National Lottery, Big Brother, X-factor and Jeremy Kyle are on this evening.
Can you watch them in the pub 'cos it's the only place worth going to in the UK...?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rodders39
Can you watch them in the pub 'cos it's the only place worth going to in the UK...?
I daren't leave the house after dark.....
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:14 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I daren't go out in daylight:scared:

If it's not the muggers that get me I'm sure I will freeze to death:scared:
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:16 pm
Timelord

Violence or burglary...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.