Wikiposts

Other side of the coin...

Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:23 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Other side of the coin...

Originally Posted by rodders39
Maybe they'll just squat instead... At least that way the Police will turn up 'cos they're still inside your house...
Reference to me I gather... iIdidnt say rubbbish is collected every three months, it is every two weeks! in London anyway, don't want to generalise. You can twist what I say if it makes you feel better.....
Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:27 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAMIEKERRIE
Wrong, and wrong again! Got our visas+ gonig in August. Next...
Good luck to you, hope it works out and if not, you will just be some of the lucky ones who get to experience a new way of life/culture for a few years!
Old Jan 7th 2007, 1:34 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denver
Reference to me I gather... iIdidnt say rubbbish is collected every three months, it is every two weeks! in London anyway, don't want to generalise. You can twist what I say if it makes you feel better.....
C'mon, we were just having a laugh... I know you didn't say that, and I didn't say you did, but I exaggerated for the sake of amusement...
Old Jan 7th 2007, 1:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

if it makes you feel better, it's collected every two weeks around here too, and people don't use rubbsih bins but through the rubbish bags out onto the road to get collected....so it ain't just London, and it's still just as minging.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 2:12 pm
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to you, hope it works out and if not, you will just be some of the lucky ones who get to experience a new way of life/culture for a few years!
You'll get a new way of life, 'culture' wil be a tougher challenge.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Reference to me I gather... You can twist what I say if it makes you feel better.....

There isn't much need to twist your words, you come out with some real gems on your own
Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by FPM
You'll get a new way of life, 'culture' wil be a tougher challenge.

LOL
Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Having read some of the threads in the returning to the uk forum, I know some people have obviously had genuinely bad experiences in Aus through bad luck/no fault of there own, etc, and it is human nature to feel "BITTER" re any bad experience, indeed we may feel the same way ourselves in 2 years' time, but it seems to me that most are gripeing about things that are NOT really important issues, eg like missing Tescos/Aus phrases, which proves my point, would these things even bother these people if things had worked out? I suspect not....water off a ducks back, me thinks...

Anyway, personally, again we may feel differently in 2years time, but I think some of the "real" issues are if we don't give it a go and STAY in the UK are:-

* Do I feel safe walking round to my local shops after dark?

* Would I want to bring up children in the aggressive environment that is the UK/what opportunities are there for them with no apprenterships, etc, anymore, ie for the person of average intelliegence, other than working in a warehouse?

* Will I have a pension when I retire?

* Do I really want to spend the rest of my life in a country where for 7 months of the year it is too cold/wet/dark to really do anything but watch tv or be in the pub?

etc, etc....Think about it...

You sound like you live in central qld only the weathers so hot you can't move for 7 months of the year
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:24 pm
Normal Service Resumed

Skyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of light

Jamie,

If you end up coming to Australia and stay a reasonable amount of time I can absolutely nailed-on guarantee you that you will feel homesick from time to time. You might well be surprised about what you miss as well. It can be strange what creeps up on you.

For a lot of people on this forum homesickness is an ever-present problem. Its a lot easier to give little examples about things you miss than to masterfully sum up what it is to be homesick. People might often mention stuff like football, tesco's, mushy peas or whatever but these are just the small parts of a very big total. No-one really moves around the world because they miss the clothes at NEXT but they will move to feel familiar,settled, known, belonging etc. Mentioning this kind of stuff helps people get this off their chests so sniping at people for missing baked beans or whatever really misses the point.

That whole "whingeing pom" thing gets very old very quickly when you live here too. If you thing the Aussies don't complain bitterly about stuff...oh my...

I'd say emigrate by all means, have the experience and it might work out for you. Hope it does. Don't let your enthusiasm for it drive you to shout down other people though.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skyblue67
Jamie,

If you end up coming to Australia and stay a reasonable amount of time I can absolutely nailed-on guarantee you that you will feel homesick from time to time. You might well be surprised about what you miss as well. It can be strange what creeps up on you.

For a lot of people on this forum homesickness is an ever-present problem. Its a lot easier to give little examples about things you miss than to masterfully sum up what it is to be homesick. People might often mention stuff like football, tesco's, mushy peas or whatever but these are just the small parts of a very big total. No-one really moves around the world because they miss the clothes at NEXT but they will move to feel familiar,settled, known, belonging etc. Mentioning this kind of stuff helps people get this off their chests so sniping at people for missing baked beans or whatever really misses the point.

That whole "whingeing pom" thing gets very old very quickly when you live here too. If you thing the Aussies don't complain bitterly about stuff...oh my...

I'd say emigrate by all means, have the experience and it might work out for you. Hope it does. Don't let your enthusiasm for it drive you to shout down other people though.
Superb post, very well said.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:02 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Having read some of the threads in the returning to the uk forum, I know some people have obviously had genuinely bad experiences in Aus through bad luck/no fault of there own, etc, and it is human nature to feel "BITTER" re any bad experience, indeed we may feel the same way ourselves in 2 years' time, but it seems to me that most are gripeing about things that are NOT really important issues, eg like missing Tescos/Aus phrases, which proves my point, would these things even bother these people if things had worked out? I suspect not....water off a ducks back, me thinks...

Anyway, personally, again we may feel differently in 2years time, but I think some of the "real" issues are if we don't give it a go and STAY in the UK are:-

* Do I feel safe walking round to my local shops after dark?

* Would I want to bring up children in the aggressive environment that is the UK/what opportunities are there for them with no apprenterships, etc, anymore, ie for the person of average intelliegence, other than working in a warehouse?

* Will I have a pension when I retire?

* Do I really want to spend the rest of my life in a country where for 7 months of the year it is too cold/wet/dark to really do anything but watch tv or be in the pub?

etc, etc....Think about it...
I wish you every success in australia and i hope you never have to eat your words ,because a fair few do including me it isnt the land of milk and honey here in aussie and if it doesnt work for you personally you are infor a expensive and very very miserable time indeed .Good luck
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Heh, with one or two exceptions this really is the most bitter, vitriolic forum I've ever encountered on t'interweb

If I had to take a stab at why, I'd venture maybe that emigrating is such a huge move (is there any bigger life choice, asides from maybe having children?) it often requires a certain amount of self-validating reinforcement ("everything is RUBBISH here, right?"). If it doesn't work out and folks return, because of all the original justifications it requires even stronger reasoning to validate ("wow, it's even MORE RUBBISH here, EVERYTHING's better in Britain") etc. etc.

Honestly, pick any random six threads in this forum and you seem guarenteed to find the "RUBBISH!", "MORE RUBBISH HERE!" cycle repeating itself. Any positive comments about anywhere seem destined to be shot down almost before they've been posted.

Still, the constant sparring makes for entertaining reading on a grey rainy morning.

Cheers all, and Happy New Year wherever you are

Iain

(Eastern England, PNG, Northern England, Canada, Southern England, back to Canada this year, just enjoying the variety )

Last edited by Iain Mc; Jan 7th 2007 at 10:31 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:35 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
Heh, with one or two exceptions this really is the most bitter, vitriolic forum I've ever encountered on t'interweb

If I had to take a stab at why, I'd venture maybe that emigrating is such a huge move (is there any bigger life choice, asides from maybe having children?) it often requires a certain amount of self-validating reinforcement ("everything is RUBBISH here, right?"). If it doesn't work out and folks return, because of all the original justifications it requires even stronger reasoning to validate ("wow, it's even MORE RUBBISH here, EVERYTHING's better in Britain") etc. etc.

Honestly, pick any random six threads in this forum and you seem guarenteed to find the "RUBBISH!", "MORE RUBBISH HERE!" cycle repeating itself. Any positive comments about anywhere seem destined to be shot down almost before they've been posted.

Still, makes for entertaining pop psychology on a grey rainy morning.

Iain

(Eastern England, PNG, Northern England, Canada, Southern England, back to Canada this year, just enjoying the variety )
seems like to me you move around a bit and really dont give any where a real go .
Your not the type of person who can really criticize people who have actually migrated and spent time trying to make a place work .
The fact is if your always moving, like you seem to be you arnt living a normal life ,you use a place up and see what you want and go somewhere else ,your life is probably a holiday and fair play to you as its a graet way to live .
Good luck to you where ever you end up if ever you end up anywhere .
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Iain Mc

Still, the constant sparring makes for entertaining reading on a grey rainy morning.

Iain

don't be daft mate...plenty more crappy threads for you to read on here.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

don't be daft mate...plenty more crappy threads for you to read on here.
Heh, yeah, forums are strangely addictive!

seems like to me you move around a bit and really dont give any where a real go .
Been in my current place for seven years and in the UK for the last ten; actually I always consider Britain "base camp" and will merrily wax lyrical about it's virtues, but have also had some great experiences abroad and am quite happy to extoll the benefits of that too.

We're just lucky we have the chance to try such things in this short life, IMHO!

Regards, Iain

Last edited by Iain Mc; Jan 7th 2007 at 10:56 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.