Opinions on England Please.

Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:28 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinions on England Please.

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
LOL...get into Canada fast it's lot better up here. In American you only somebody with money in the land of the pay as you go.
Vancouver is very similar to the States then. Remember a colleague asking me about my portfolio when i first starting working in Van City. I remember thinking, oooh this is so different to Wandsworth.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
The big change for me is the people who seem addicted to misery and negativity. The get fed a daily diet of politically correct and heath and safety gone mad stories. They bandy about phrases like, we're a third world country, err have you ever seen the slums of a real 3rd world country? They feel that we're over run with every single criminal from around the world. Asylum seekers are living in Mayfair penthouses and we're all paying for it. For some reason there is a lot of depression. I know several people on medication, something i never come across before.

I also think a lot of people spend all day at work arguing on message boards. That wasnt a pop at anyone here btw. Threads always seem to end up in a ruck. Everyone is so damn angry!
There are a hell of a lot of people here in Australia on medication as well...for depression for anxiety ...is this a sign of the times? In our brave New World of constant change there are many warning signs out there that all is far from well.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulieinAustin
Doesn't this apply to everywhere though? There are less fortunate people everywhere in the world; but you can't always blame it on the country. In fact I know of many British people that have lived and travelled in many diverse places as opposed to Americans of which most of those I know here have never left the states! Redmania makes a lot of really valid points and it definitely is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, but generally speaking Britain is not a bad place to live at all; far from it... I am experiencing things the other way round.. I actually look back and realise how lucky I was in Britain compared to here. Here as an employee I have no rights (Texas is an at will state), I barely get any holiday allowance, no sick pay and even if I did have the time to travel it's very expensive to go anywhere from here... Food is much pricier and you're completely dependent on the car... and I don't even want to think about getting sick here....
It does sound awful and you have mentioned a lot of the reasons that i wouldn't pick the USA as a place i would want to be..
Old Jul 1st 2009, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

JulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by the troubadour
It does sound awful and you have mentioned a lot of the reasons that i wouldn't pick the USA as a place i would want to be..
It has definitely been an eye opener and made me appreciate the UK much more and I find it difficult to hear people complaining about the UK being difficult.... when it really isn't (it's taken the move here to realise that though, LOL).. I ended up here through marriage; but we're talking about moving back to the UK now...
Old Sep 26th 2009, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Britain may well have become more prosperous over the past 20 years or so taking eveything into account - in comparative terms globally there is practically nobody, absolutely nobody, in this country who can be considered "impoverished and on the breadline" - however difficult that is to believe right now with so many people losing their jobs in a (global) recession (there is always a safety net here - which some people abuse and take advantage of but there you go) - a recession which some so called economic experts believe may well be showing signs of a "green shoots recovery" on the horizon already, and in recent weeks the £ Sterling has recovered lost ground.

The Labour Party has undeniably presided over some good economic times in the UK in recent ywears but again some people maintain that is the result of the policies of the former Conservative Government to a certain degree rather than any mind blowing miracles performed by Labour.

Where Labour has really fallen down on its backside involves a moral decline rather than an economic one. Since 1997 when Labour came to power the social and moral fabric of this country has really taken a nosedive in very many quarters and this can be seen by the standards of behaviour of large sections of the population, especially in the present generation now growing up (no - I am not an old man - I am 27 years old and studied English and social history in the UK at uni). Social disorder has increased appreciably, and very many young people below the age of 25 or so have little or no respect for authority simply because of political correctness for the most part which has taught them to believe that they have rights but no responsibilities, and a criminal justice system which really does appear to show more concern for the perpetrators of crime than for its victims.

Whacking a burglar in your own home over the head with the nearest available object will invariably land you in court while the burglar receives counselling. People have been stabbed to death for defending their property and their loved ones - not isolated cases either! - the killers being young males for the most part who are so de-sensitised morally and spiritually that they are totally incapable of understanding the meaning of words like regret or remorse....all that is totally beynd their capabilities so inured have they become to what has been happening to British society in recent years - most certainly since May 1997 and "New" Labour. There is little or no fear of punishment in these criminals simply because punishment is not anything like it should be in the UK - British prisons are a doddle in far too many ways - there is more concern for the rehabiliation and future welfare of even the most hardened of the criminal lowlife than there is for truly effective punishment.

Family life in many instances has fallen apart, the UK has the highest abortion, single parenthood, divorce, juvenile crime rates in Europe and the massive rise in alcohol and drug abuse over the past five to ten years, with all the problems that all this causes, is now legendary.

Labour is fantastically good at producing a whole lot of fantastically good schemes and plans for solving this problem and that problem - all produced in very glossy documents - but that's as far as it ever goes. The latest report today shows that their handling of the chronic asylum seeker problem - a huge influx of migrants from the Third World - has been nothing less than a chaotic shambles. Out of the very many thousands of such people falling into this category only one family has been deported. Huge numbers of people who are registered for deportation from this overcrowded island nation of ours are still here after God knows how many years - and many of these mysteriously disappear into the ether - never to be seen again officially - probably still here claiming social welfare benefits by the use of stolen NI numbers, free housing, free healthcare and heaven only knows what else for which the hardworking (those of us still with jobs) are paying out of our grudgingly but dutifully paid taxes.

All the moral decline stuff was entrenched under the previous Conservative regimes long before Blair was elected in 1997...I am much older than you and therefore saw the decline up close over a longer period....mass unemployment in the 1980s did not help social cohesion one bit....arguably Labour have tried to stem it a bit by encouraging single mothers to take jobs to get themselves out of poverty etc etc ...at the end of the day you are responsible for your own actions in life and no one else's....my own circle of friends dating back to childhood/Uni days still seem to hold the same values and I seem to be able to influence my kids for the good at the moment...so I won't lose too much sleep over it all. Might help if you stop reading the Daily Fail. The UK is most certainly not all bad....
Old Sep 27th 2009, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
Alll I here about England form English people. They all tell me it gone to the dog. It now almost a police state. Crime is out of control and people are being stab everywhere. I believe non of it. So what has change I haven't been back in 10 years. I intend to go for a holiday and see my family and have a good explore of my homeland. Tell me it's not gone to the dogs. What has change in England why is everyone so concern about safety.
Some parts are still lovely and others just aren't nice now - same as anywhere really, enjoy your holiday!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:06 am
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Opinions on England Please.

I've lived my whole life (39 years) in the UK. I think the UK is a beautiful country and has a lot going for it, but over the last 10 years or so these are the changes I've noticed:-

1. Political correctness has gone mad - it's unacceptable to say you're from England! Scotland, Wales and Ireland are fine but if you say you're English for some reason it rubs people up the wrong way England is always referred to as the UK and you're British...

2. It's now frowned upon to send Christmas cards that say 'Happy Christmas' in case it upsets anyone not of the Christian religion!

3. The population has risen quite dramatically in towns and cities, therefore the UK is now a much busier place than it once was - the roads are very busy in general as there are more car owners than ever before.

4. There are security cameras everywhere! I'm sure I read somewhere that the UK has more surveillance/security cameras than almost anywhere else in the word...

5. House prices have risen dramatically, but not in line with salary/income therefore it's more difficult to purchase your first home and get on the property ladder.

6. Smaller villages seem safer than most main towns or cities, however housing is more expensive there, and in some villages the property prices have been driven higher by well paid commuters or people purchasing second/weekend homes. Lots of people can no longer afford properties in the villages they have been raised in

7. It seems to me that there is more of a class divide than there used to be - There are high flyers that earn enough to live somewhere nice, there are everyday working families that struggle to live a comfortable life, then there is a new underclass of families where they have never worked and have no intention of working as they can earn more claiming benefits than if they were working. It's quite a sad state of affairs really

8.In general, I find that because our lives are so busy, people are more stressed and therefore ruder (though some people are still nice )

9. In supermarkets and shops (not local newsagents etc) cheques are no longer accepted, and they look at you gone out if you pay by cash!!! Most people use debit or credit cards.

10. The metric system has replaced the imperial system so you no longer buy a pound of butter or a quarter of sweets - it's 100g of sweets and 500g of butter. Road signs are still in miles though!

I love the UK but find it a much more stressful place than it used to be, and I've lived in the same house since 1991 so I've watched the places take change. If you can afford it there are still some beautiful places to live and visit but the cost of living is quite high - petrol is expensive though cars are cheaper than they used to be.

I don't think the UK is really any more dangerous, but prolific drug use increases crime and street violence so there is more crime due to more drug addicts (my husband is a police officer and tells me this all the time)

All I'm trying to say is that it's not any better or any worse but it has changed over the last 10 years or so

Last edited by Biiba; Sep 27th 2009 at 10:07 am. Reason: used the wrong word - sorry got carried away!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:41 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiba
I've lived my whole life (39 years) in the UK. I think the UK is a beautiful country and has a lot going for it, but over the last 10 years or so these are the changes I've noticed:-.......... All I'm trying to say is that it's not any better or any worse but it has changed over the last 10 years or so
Whilst the rest of the world has remained the same?
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:54 am
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Opinions on England Please.

Originally Posted by Elvira
Whilst the rest of the world has remained the same?
I believe the OP was asking for opinions on how the UK might have changed in the last 10 years?? I merely gave him my own personal observations....

Obviously the whole world has changed.....
Old Sep 27th 2009, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived my whole life (39 years) in the UK. I think the UK is a beautiful country and has a lot going for it, but over the last 10 years or so these are the changes I've noticed:-

1. Political correctness has gone mad - it's unacceptable to say you're from England! Scotland, Wales and Ireland are fine but if you say you're English for some reason it rubs people up the wrong way England is always referred to as the UK and you're British...

2. It's now frowned upon to send Christmas cards that say 'Happy Christmas' in case it upsets anyone not of the Christian religion!

3. The population has risen quite dramatically in towns and cities, therefore the UK is now a much busier place than it once was - the roads are very busy in general as there are more car owners than ever before.

4. There are security cameras everywhere! I'm sure I read somewhere that the UK has more surveillance/security cameras than almost anywhere else in the word...

5. House prices have risen dramatically, but not in line with salary/income therefore it's more difficult to purchase your first home and get on the property ladder.

6. Smaller villages seem safer than most main towns or cities, however housing is more expensive there, and in some villages the property prices have been driven higher by well paid commuters or people purchasing second/weekend homes. Lots of people can no longer afford properties in the villages they have been raised in

7. It seems to me that there is more of a class divide than there used to be - There are high flyers that earn enough to live somewhere nice, there are everyday working families that struggle to live a comfortable life, then there is a new underclass of families where they have never worked and have no intention of working as they can earn more claiming benefits than if they were working. It's quite a sad state of affairs really

8.In general, I find that because our lives are so busy, people are more stressed and therefore ruder (though some people are still nice )

9. In supermarkets and shops (not local newsagents etc) cheques are no longer accepted, and they look at you gone out if you pay by cash!!! Most people use debit or credit cards.

10. The metric system has replaced the imperial system so you no longer buy a pound of butter or a quarter of sweets - it's 100g of sweets and 500g of butter. Road signs are still in miles though!

I love the UK but find it a much more stressful place than it used to be, and I've lived in the same house since 1991 so I've watched the places take change. If you can afford it there are still some beautiful places to live and visit but the cost of living is quite high - petrol is expensive though cars are cheaper than they used to be.

I don't think the UK is really any more dangerous, but prolific drug use increases crime and street violence so there is more crime due to more drug addicts (my husband is a police officer and tells me this all the time)

All I'm trying to say is that it's not any better or any worse but it has changed over the last 10 years or so
Yes, buying sweets in metric amounts must be really stressful

Get real.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

When you find Utopia,let me know and I'll move there myself (along with millions of other people!)It is NOT frowned upon to send Xmas cards,thats a ridiculous statement.We're an "everyday"working family and we don't struggle at all to live a comfortable life.Of course if you're clocked up to the hilt in credit cards/debts thats your own fault!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 8:31 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

As said by others, most of what you`ve said could apply to most other locations around the world as well but if you`ve never spent anytime outside the UK apart from holidays, you probably wouldn`t be aware of this. For example, the property issue is the same in most countries that I know of, with first time buyers always struggling, at the moment there is some leeway in prices dropping, due to the current economic climate.

As for people claiming benefits, well given the fact that the majority of people that have been mostly affected by this economic crisis are largely unskilled or with skills that are not in demand, what else can they do but sign on! For this reason the figures will go up.

I think cheques will largely be phased out anyway, where I live they are almost non existent.

I was going to ask you over the christmas cards but somebody has already responded to this, I largely thought your statement to be an exaggeration anyway.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:52 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes, buying sweets in metric amounts must be really stressful

Get real.
what about bananas
Old Sep 28th 2009, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by king kong
what about bananas
Political correctness gone mad I tell ya.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:28 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Political correctness gone mad I tell ya.
theres something about bananas ,they are a powerful thing , The Brits cant decide how to weigh them ,the aussies cant grow enough of them and if they dont they neally collapse the whole of the nations economy .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.