Opinions on England Please.

Old Jun 26th 2009, 8:32 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinions on England Please.

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
I have commented so many times to people here that multi culturalism also seems to work here and people get along compared to a lot of areas in the U.K, again is this a space thing?
Who knows I certainly don,t
I think this is absolutely a matter of percentages. Most people are tolerant of people of other cultures in their midst, but when the percentage reaches a certain point, most people get antsy about it. It's rational because a large body of people from another culture, especially one culture, will change things.

I believe there's a problem in some parts of the States because Mexican immigrants (some of whom have been there for a long time. Are they Latinos?) are becoming a large percentage.

Back in the 19th century, with the Irish famine emigration, huge numbers of Irish landed in the NE US, and they tended to cluster. Caused a lot of bad feelings.

In some parts of Montreal there's uneasiness about Haitians. They're French speaking, so ideal immigrants in that sense, but a different culture, and they cluster. Visible immigrants are more obvious, of course.

So if a country had immigrants from many countries who scattered around, it'd be a long time before it bothered the more established people there. If immigrants from one place arrive and gather in one location, problems start sooner.

In Australia, I assume the immigrants other that British-origin ones come from many countries and scatter around. Is that true?

Bev
Old Jun 27th 2009, 9:03 am
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bevm
I think this is absolutely a matter of percentages. Most people are tolerant of people of other cultures in their midst, but when the percentage reaches a certain point, most people get antsy about it. It's rational because a large body of people from another culture, especially one culture, will change things.

I believe there's a problem in some parts of the States because Mexican immigrants (some of whom have been there for a long time. Are they Latinos?) are becoming a large percentage.

Back in the 19th century, with the Irish famine emigration, huge numbers of Irish landed in the NE US, and they tended to cluster. Caused a lot of bad feelings.

In some parts of Montreal there's uneasiness about Haitians. They're French speaking, so ideal immigrants in that sense, but a different culture, and they cluster. Visible immigrants are more obvious, of course.

So if a country had immigrants from many countries who scattered around, it'd be a long time before it bothered the more established people there. If immigrants from one place arrive and gather in one location, problems start sooner.

In Australia, I assume the immigrants other that British-origin ones come from many countries and scatter around. Is that true?

Bev
Yes I feel they do although there are areas where certain nationalities will live. l think that beacause no one really lives on top of each other here that it probably causes less problems. It is complex but as I said I think that because the U.K is dense regarding population then it can cause problems. If you put a lot of nationalities in a small confined place then I think cultures will clash, clearly this is often flawed though because there are problems in areas not so populated.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 9:38 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
Bev
Mexicans are most definately Latinos, Latinos (Latins) are all the people from the Latin American continent (Mexico-Argentina) I think the term may well have originated in the USA (In its Spanish form) as a polite way of which to refer to this ethnic group there and as a replacement for the term Hispanic.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 9:44 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I feel they do although there are areas where certain nationalities will live. l think that beacause no one really lives on top of each other here that it probably causes less problems. It is complex but as I said I think that because the U.K is dense regarding population then it can cause problems. If you put a lot of nationalities in a small confined place then I think cultures will clash, clearly this is often flawed though because there are problems in areas not so populated.
I don`t think that by putting different cultures together that they are going to clash. Most medium-big sized cities around the world have these cultures living together without any problems.

There are some exceptions though, as I know in certain cities in the UK Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims have been known to clash but in general most cultures live in harmony together unless strongly provoked by a third party.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 9:56 am
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
I don`t think that by putting different cultures together that they are going to clash. Most medium-big sized cities around the world have these cultures living together without any problems.

There are some exceptions though, as I know in certain cities in the UK Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims have been known to clash but in general most cultures live in harmony together unless strongly provoked by a third party.
Hi Jules.

Over the years the U.K has seen it's fair share of race riots, do you think the media is solely to blame? This is a serious question btw
Old Jun 27th 2009, 11:12 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Hi Jules.

Over the years the U.K has seen it's fair share of race riots, do you think the media is solely to blame? This is a serious question btw
The two countries in Europe with a history of race riots are the UK and France, the similiarities are that both are principal European countries and ex colonial powers and with large immigrant populations, the rioters have usually been the children or grandchildren of these immigrants and are disillusioned youth (Poor job prospects, inadequate living conditions, feelings of victimization by the authorities, outcasts of society etc) I think that this was definately the case in the UK in the 80's and 90's whereas in France its been a much more recent problem.

I don`t think that the media is solely to blame, its much more of a case of the socio-economic conditions particular to that of both the UK and France.

Germany also has a large immigrant population that often live in poor conditions but I can`t think of any serious race riots there, so I think my opinion is only the amswer to part of the problem.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 12:20 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember bad riots in Berlin in regard to the Turkish immigrant population.

Sorry can't remember any of the details but I do remember the new pictures on the TV... most disturbing.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

Originally Posted by hudd
Essex_Man

It looks like Canadians are not better off than Brits locking at today's Globe and Mail. I see both house hold debt in Canada and the UK are not much different.

I lived 8 year in rural Canada( Alberta/Ontario) and to be honest I found cost of living not much different for us. We are better off back in the UK because I have a better paying job. In Canada I saw little help for poor families. Food Banks, Churches supported the low income families, not the government. We were told to put our old clothes in lost property at school, as the clothes would be taken by poor families. I never seen that level of poverty living in rural England.

hudd

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle1182320/
That because there is no real safety net here. You don't have the state to back you up and pay your rent. EI its very difficult to get and doesn't even pay your rent. You really have to look after yourself here. But it does have a lot more affordable rental housing here if you can find work in the small towns. I have seen a rise in levels of poverty in the last 8 years in Ontario because the min-wage is so low. You can't live well in Ontario on $8.50 an hour. You need a minimum of 15 bucks hour. Alberta holds a lot promise for min-wage workers. But the reality and the cost of living is different and more expensive in AB. Also you got to remember that whole towns can be base on one industry and unlike England once that factory/mill/mine goes. The whole town goes with. Because there simple nothing around it for 50 miles and no other industry is going to come back. So that normally kills the town too and some people can't just pick up sticks and leave. You can't live your whole life on the state as some people do in England including some of my family members. Things like that don't happen here. You can't expect the state to look after you, you're whole life. Like people do in England. So being poor here in Canada is lot more scary.

Last edited by Essex_Man; Jun 27th 2009 at 2:55 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
Alll I here about England form English people. They all tell me it gone to the dog. It now almost a police state. Crime is out of control and people are being stab everywhere. I believe non of it. So what has change I haven't been back in 10 years. I intend to go for a holiday and see my family and have a good explore of my homeland. Tell me it's not gone to the dogs. What has change in England why is everyone so concern about safety.
Yes England has gone to the dogs, and to be honest, they are welcome to it.

What a sharp decline over the past 10 - 15 years.
Take a drive into a city, any city, and walk through the pedestrianised streets, see the yob's drinking beer at 11:30 in the morning, impressing the slappers for the nightly conquest.

Sure the girls are just as bad, loud, foul mouthed, complete with 'tramp stamps'

A police state, ahh, yes, but it looks like the police are losing the battle.

'vette
Old Jun 28th 2009, 12:15 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by alipally
I seem to remember bad riots in Berlin in regard to the Turkish immigrant population.

Sorry can't remember any of the details but I do remember the new pictures on the TV... most disturbing.
Quickly looking around on the internet, there seems to be a history of the Turkish population rioting in Germany.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_vette
Yes England has gone to the dogs, and to be honest, they are welcome to it.

What a sharp decline over the past 10 - 15 years.
Take a drive into a city, any city, and walk through the pedestrianised streets, see the yob's drinking beer at 11:30 in the morning, impressing the slappers for the nightly conquest.

Sure the girls are just as bad, loud, foul mouthed, complete with 'tramp stamps'

A police state, ahh, yes, but it looks like the police are losing the battle.

'vette
Are'nt most cities around the world like that?If you don't like what you see,then move!
Old Jun 29th 2009, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Angelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really nice

Hello

I think the Uk has changed, ten years ago, there didnt seem to be much crime, the odd fist fight on a Saturday night outside a pub, now its people getting shot or stabbed, 10 years ago I felt quite confident going out on a saturday night for a drink in the city centre, now I always seem to be on my guard, having said that It could be just me getting older, I fear for my Children when they get to the age of wanting to go out for a drink with friends.
The Country seems to have alot of Assilum seekers everywere, having said that we live about 5 miles out of Nottingham city centre in a nice area with low crime rate,
Angelica x
Old Jun 29th 2009, 5:35 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Angelica666
Hello

I think the Uk has changed, ten years ago, there didnt seem to be much crime, the odd fist fight on a Saturday night outside a pub, now its people getting shot or stabbed, 10 years ago I felt quite confident going out on a saturday night for a drink in the city centre, now I always seem to be on my guard, having said that It could be just me getting older, I fear for my Children when they get to the age of wanting to go out for a drink with friends.
The Country seems to have alot of Assilum seekers everywere, having said that we live about 5 miles out of Nottingham city centre in a nice area with low crime rate,
Angelica x
Given that Nottingham is one of the crime capitals of the UK, its probably no surprise that you have reached this conclusion about large urban areas in the UK.

As for "Assilum seekers" I imagine most of them would know how to spell the word correctly, as it would be foremost on their minds.

Also most of western Europe has asylum seekers everywhere as well.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 5:52 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angelica666
Hello

Angelica x
Crime is a long way down from 10 years ago

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdf...me0607summ.pdf

"Crime in England and Wales increased between 1981 and 1995, it then fell
sharply and has recently stabilised. There has been an overall fall of 42%
since 1995."

I think media-stoked fear of crime is well up.

Some international context on asylum seeker volumes http://www.economist.com/markets/ind...y_id=13376137& and foreigners by EU country http://www.migrationinformation.org/...lay.cfm?id=402
Old Jun 30th 2009, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jules Europe

As for "Assilum seekers" I imagine most of them would know how to spell the word correctly, as it would be foremost on their minds.

I never heard of an 'Assilum' seekers

Asylum seeker is the correct spelling,

Where are you from Jules?

'vette

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.