Opinions on England Please.

Old Jun 30th 2009, 1:11 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinions on England Please.

Originally Posted by uk_vette
I never heard of an 'Assilum' seekers

Asylum seeker is the correct spelling,

Where are you from Jules?

'vette
Jules was quoting the previous post of Angelica666 on the "Assilum" bit.

Although he is a johnny foreigner
Old Jun 30th 2009, 3:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angelica666
Hello

I think the Uk has changed, ten years ago, there didnt seem to be much crime, the odd fist fight on a Saturday night outside a pub, now its people getting shot or stabbed, 10 years ago I felt quite confident going out on a saturday night for a drink in the city centre, now I always seem to be on my guard, having said that It could be just me getting older, I fear for my Children when they get to the age of wanting to go out for a drink with friends.
The Country seems to have alot of Assilum seekers everywere, having said that we live about 5 miles out of Nottingham city centre in a nice area with low crime rate,
Angelica x
Yes probably you getting older.A decade and a half ago blades were not so uncommon at least in London and even further back i can recall being stopped and searched on occassions in the street.....Still felt confident going out as still do now....developing a street sense usually sees one through.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Hi Jules.

Over the years the U.K has seen it's fair share of race riots, do you think the media is solely to blame? This is a serious question btw
Few things in life are solely the result of any one thing but saying that the right wing anti immigrant(and anti a lot of other things) tabloid press in UK must surely be held responsible for some of the blame.
For a start the term race riots is a somewhat emotive term and was used in the 1981 riots.(Summer of Discontent)although a big number on the streets were ethnic minorities it was far from exclusively so...it was more a rising of disadvantaged, marginalised and harrassed younger people but certain tabloids insisted it was race based...
Old Jun 30th 2009, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
It does happen in the rest of Europe as well, the difference is that the media in these countries is nowhere near as potent as that of the UK media, so the vast majority of people in other european countries are often not aware of the moral decline in their youth.
True enough but it doesn't go towards explaining why folks with kids feel it is more family focused in Europe in general than UK.
One family that moved to France when i lived there claimed their kids changed for the better after just a year there...they did appear to lose some attitude that they came over with..
Some claim Spain is also far better in this regard.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:04 am
Just Joined

redmania has a brilliant futureredmania has a brilliant futureredmania has a brilliant futureredmania has a brilliant futureredmania has a brilliant futureredmania has a brilliant future

I am a long time lurker but just felt the urge to reply to this topic.

Firstly I would like to state how proud I am to be British and how proud I am to be English. I have been fortunate to have received an amazing education in the UK that was not only free but above and beyond the levels I see here in Australia.

England to me is a wonderful place, a place that suffers from bad press and poor marketing. It is a great place to live and a great place for kids in my opinion.

I have been in Australia for several years and I work in public transport so I get to see things that are not shown in the Australian media. The UK and Australia (Melbourne/Sydney) has the same level of drug use (perhaps more), vandalism, and assaults as any comparable UK city it is just spun differently. The house prices (excluding London) I have found to be comparable when considering interest rates and stamp duty etc. Energy is more expensive but food in supermarkets, butchers and grocers I have found to be cheaper in the UK (except Lamb). Almost totally free healthcare. I pay a Medicare levy and full healthcare in Australia but still end up out of pocket!!!!! Wine is abundant and all regions are covered and good bargains can be had. I never had a problem with getting good food as I had a local baker, deli, butcher etc. Luxury items cost less in the UK where as car insurance is less for me in Australia. So it is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

I have had truly great experiences there from holidaying in Cornwall to hitting the sales in London or farmers markets in the country to Shrovetide football in Ashbourne. It really is a great place and you know what the UK is better off without the people who knock it all the time.

Some people move for the weather and that is fine the weather is bad in the UK compared to Australia or parts of the US. All in all I think that is the only area where the places on here beat the UK. I suppose it is all about perception. I never actively sought to leave the UK; I was simply offered a job and a package I couldn’t turn down.

But all these things are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. If your perception of a place and opinion is already established you will never consider a place the opposite of your thoughts. A lot of British people see their failures back home as a reflection of the nation in which they live/lived or were raised in, where as I never have. I see the UK as a place of opportunity a place where you can be anything and do anything. It is a shame so many think it is awful. I am actively looking to return now as I believe the grass is not always greener. It can’t be there is no water here!!!!!!!!! I have lived in Australia, Cyprus, England, NZ and Florida in my time and personally I know I can succeed and be happy anywhere. Happiness is about the individual and my best advice is to look inside you rather than what is around you first.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:10 am
Just Joined

redmania has a brilliant futureredmania has a brilliant futureredmania has a brilliant futureredmania has a brilliant futureredmania has a brilliant futureredmania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ForzaItalia21
Kid's quality of life has gone down hill in my opinion.

They don't have half the amount of freedom that I had when I was a child. When I was 5 I used to walk to school on my own and when I was about 8 I used to go off for the day with my mates on our bikes.

Today parents in England are too scared about what the media tells them will happen to their children and so over guard them.

There's also too much political correctness in England's society of today. People have to keep watching what they say all the time. Kids are being brainwashed at school by the marxist regime and teenagers are into this 'respect' culture going around with all this 'attitude' bruv trying to emulate their rap idols.

Loads more chavs around today, underage sex, more binge drinking, tatoos in strange places, facial furniture, knife crime, burglaries, third world immigrants (some of which have no intention of 'blending in'), graffiti, class A drugs and a liarbour govenment.

Apart from that it's a paradise!

You could be talking about lots of Western countries.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:25 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redmania
I am a long time lurker but just felt the urge to reply to this topic.

Firstly .....
Hey, good first post, karma
Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:15 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_vette
I never heard of an 'Assilum' seekers

Asylum seeker is the correct spelling,

Where are you from Jules?

'vette
I can assure you, I do know how to spell asylum despite never having been in one.

As for where I`m from...........well an oven mostly.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:19 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
True enough but it doesn't go towards explaining why folks with kids feel it is more family focused in Europe in general than UK.
One family that moved to France when i lived there claimed their kids changed for the better after just a year there...they did appear to lose some attitude that they came over with..
Some claim Spain is also far better in this regard.
Countries like Spain may well be much better in this regard but here as well the relationship between young people and family is slowly disintegrating as well, in 20 years time there may well be a different scenario here.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:53 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

The big change for me is the people who seem addicted to misery and negativity. The get fed a daily diet of politically correct and heath and safety gone mad stories. They bandy about phrases like, we're a third world country, err have you ever seen the slums of a real 3rd world country? They feel that we're over run with every single criminal from around the world. Asylum seekers are living in Mayfair penthouses and we're all paying for it. For some reason there is a lot of depression. I know several people on medication, something i never come across before.

I also think a lot of people spend all day at work arguing on message boards. That wasnt a pop at anyone here btw. Threads always seem to end up in a ruck. Everyone is so damn angry!

Last edited by Londonuck; Jun 30th 2009 at 7:56 am.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

Originally Posted by redmania
I have lived in Australia, Cyprus, England, NZ and Florida in my time and personally I know I can succeed and be happy anywhere. Happiness is about the individual and my best advice is to look inside you rather than what is around you first.
Sometimes. But that is like saying accepting your lot, don't complain. Not every has been lucky like you to live in so many amazing diverse places. It is hard to appreciate Britain for what it is when face with the 9-5 grind. when you are barely living and when I left Britain I didn't much like it. But now that I'm living abroad it has given me a new appreciation and prospectus and I think everyone should live in foreign country just once and hey who knows maybe it would make England a nicer place...narrr...
Old Jun 30th 2009, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

JulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
Sometimes. But that is like saying accepting your lot, don't complain. Not every has been lucky like you to live in so many amazing diverse places. It is hard to appreciate Britain for what it is when face with the 9-5 grind. when you are barely living and when I left Britain I didn't much like it. But now that I'm living abroad it has given me a new appreciation and prospectus and I think everyone should live in foreign country just once and hey who knows maybe it would make England a nicer place...narrr...
Doesn't this apply to everywhere though? There are less fortunate people everywhere in the world; but you can't always blame it on the country. In fact I know of many British people that have lived and travelled in many diverse places as opposed to Americans of which most of those I know here have never left the states! Redmania makes a lot of really valid points and it definitely is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, but generally speaking Britain is not a bad place to live at all; far from it... I am experiencing things the other way round.. I actually look back and realise how lucky I was in Britain compared to here. Here as an employee I have no rights (Texas is an at will state), I barely get any holiday allowance, no sick pay and even if I did have the time to travel it's very expensive to go anywhere from here... Food is much pricier and you're completely dependent on the car... and I don't even want to think about getting sick here....
Old Jun 30th 2009, 5:33 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
The big change for me is the people who seem addicted to misery and negativity. The get fed a daily diet of politically correct and heath and safety gone mad stories. They bandy about phrases like, we're a third world country, err have you ever seen the slums of a real 3rd world country? They feel that we're over run with every single criminal from around the world. Asylum seekers are living in Mayfair penthouses and we're all paying for it. For some reason there is a lot of depression. I know several people on medication, something i never come across before.

I also think a lot of people spend all day at work arguing on message boards. That wasnt a pop at anyone here btw. Threads always seem to end up in a ruck. Everyone is so damn angry!
Have to say I do miss the shiny optimism of every day life in the US (that Brits always seem to complain about, as if it were a BAD thing!) Give me "Have a nice day" over a cynical or indifferent come-back any day.

I deal with students every day and I notice the message board rant style of communication is creeping into everyday conversation. Just today I received an email from a student that began "yeah thats not a problem but what i am saying is that ..." - I kid you not. Not a capital letter or full stop anywhere in the whole email. Can anyone say Vicky Pollard?
Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

Originally Posted by JulieinAustin
Doesn't this apply to everywhere though? There are less fortunate people everywhere in the world; but you can't always blame it on the country. In fact I know of many British people that have lived and travelled in many diverse places as opposed to Americans of which most of those I know here have never left the states! Redmania makes a lot of really valid points and it definitely is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, but generally speaking Britain is not a bad place to live at all; far from it... I am experiencing things the other way round.. I actually look back and realise how lucky I was in Britain compared to here. Here as an employee I have no rights (Texas is an at will state), I barely get any holiday allowance, no sick pay and even if I did have the time to travel it's very expensive to go anywhere from here... Food is much pricier and you're completely dependent on the car... and I don't even want to think about getting sick here....
LOL...get into Canada fast it's lot better up here. In American you only somebody with money in the land of the pay as you go.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

JulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
LOL...get into Canada fast it's lot better up here. In American you only somebody with money in the land of the pay as you go.

You're right... it definitely helps to be loaded here or preferably self-employed at least.

I think I'll pass on Canada.. if I am going anywhere it'll be back to blighty...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.