Need Travel Help Plz

Old May 10th 2011, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

GEMINI620 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need Travel Help Plz

This is my first time in London and need help understanding how to get around. I need to get from Heathrow to Tollenham Court Road. First I though all I needed to do was take the tube on the Piccadilly Line to Tollenham station. But, then was told
the Tollenham station would be closed during May 12th when I was arriving. The I decided to take the Heathrow Exp. to Paddington Station. But, once at Paddington station how do I get to the tube and what line do I take to Tollenham Station. I am so confused can anyone help me Plz. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Gemini620
Old May 10th 2011, 10:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Travel Help Plz

Originally Posted by GEMINI620
This is my first time in London and need help understanding how to get around. I need to get from Heathrow to Tollenham Court Road. First I though all I needed to do was take the tube on the Piccadilly Line to Tollenham station. But, then was told
the Tollenham station would be closed during May 12th when I was arriving. The I decided to take the Heathrow Exp. to Paddington Station. But, once at Paddington station how do I get to the tube and what line do I take to Tollenham Station. I am so confused can anyone help me Plz. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Gemini620
Hi there and welcome to the site. As this forum is for intended for introductions only I'm moving your post to the Rovers Return forum. Hopefully someone who knows the are will be able to help you.
Old May 10th 2011, 10:41 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gemini

Welcome to BE.

Don't worry. Every tube station has lots of maps of the routes. Have a look at these and check out which station is the closest one to Tottenham Court Road and get off at that one. London tube stations are not usually very far apart, especially in that area. so you won't be very far away if you get off at the next one.
The tube stations are very well signposted, and each platform has a map on the entrance showing the route the train takes, which enables you to ensure you get the right one, but don't be afraid to stop someone and ask if you are not sure you have the right platform. Each tube line has a colour on the maps, which does make it easier to understand.
At first London tubes seem very confusing but if you just spend a bit of time checking out the maps, it soon makes sense. Sometimes you can get a free tube map at the ticket office, which is also useful.

Also find a newsagent shop and buy a London STREET MAP book, which will cost about £5 - £7, but it will show you how to then get to Tottenham Court Road from whichever station you get off at. You will find this map book very useful throughout your time in London so it is well worth buying. There should be a WH Smith newsagent shop at Paddington Station where you can buy these.
If it looks too far to walk from the station to Tottenham Court Road, there are usually lots of cabs outside all the stations.

The main thing is don't be afraid to ask directions.

Once you find your feet London is a great city with so much happening, so I am sure you will enjoy your time there. How long are you there for?

Good luck and welcome again to BE

Dread - x

Last edited by dreadsoc; May 10th 2011 at 10:44 pm.
Old May 10th 2011, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi Gemini

Welcome to BE.

Don't worry. Every tube station has lots of maps of the routes. Have a look at these and check out which station is the closest one to Tottenham Court Road and get off at that one. London tube stations are not usually very far apart, especially in that area. so you won't be very far away if you get off at the next one.
The tube stations are very well signposted, and each platform has a map on the entrance showing the route the train takes, which enables you to ensure you get the right one, but don't be afraid to stop someone and ask if you are not sure you have the right platform. Each tube line has a colour on the maps, which does make it easier to understand.
At first London tubes seem very confusing but if you just spend a bit of time checking out the maps, it soon makes sense. Sometimes you can get a free tube map at the ticket office, which is also useful.

Also find a newsagent shop and buy a London STREET MAP book, which will cost about £5 - £7, but it will show you how to then get to Tottenham Court Road from whichever station you get off at. You will find this map book very useful throughout your time in London so it is well worth buying. There should be a WH Smith newsagent shop at Paddington Station where you can buy these.
If it looks too far to walk from the station to Tottenham Court Road, there are usually lots of cabs outside all the stations.

The main thing is don't be afraid to ask directions.

Once you find your feet London is a great city with so much happening, so I am sure you will enjoy your time there. How long are you there for?

Good luck and welcome again to BE

Dread - x
Dear Dread:
Thank you very much for your help.
Old May 11th 2011, 12:08 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Dread:
No worries, glad to help.
Don't worry you will soon get the hang of London and the tube.

Have a great time there

Dread - x
Old May 11th 2011, 4:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Dread:
Hi Gemini,
I've attached a tube map for you.
Have a look at the brown line, that is the Bakerloo line and goes from Paddington to Oxford Circus, which is fairly close to Tottenham Court Road. That is probably the easiest route. There are several others but they involve changing trains somewhere.

When you get to Paddington there are very clear signs to the Underground so as Dread says it will be easy to find your way.

If you decide to get a taxi, the exit to the taxi rank at Paddington is from Platform One, and there is always a member of staff there to help you with the taxis
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
standard-tube-map.pdf (261.8 KB, 384 views)
Old May 13th 2011, 12:07 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

The tube is really easy, especially if you're not in a rush. There are clean line diagrams all over the carriages and if you think you've gone in the wrong direction, you can just get off and go in another one.

It's easy to follow a tube map because of the colours.

I believe there's also a route planner on their site. Put in where you want to get from to and it'll lay it out for you. And if you're close to the time of travel they'll allow for scheduled closures etc.

On our last trip, I'd worked it out that way but my husband, who knows London well, insisted on going the "right" way. But that line was having work done on it.

Bev
Old May 16th 2011, 4:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bevm
The tube is really easy, especially if you're not in a rush. There are clean line diagrams all over the carriages and if you think you've gone in the wrong direction, you can just get off and go in another one.

It's easy to follow a tube map because of the colours.

I believe there's also a route planner on their site. Put in where you want to get from to and it'll lay it out for you. And if you're close to the time of travel they'll allow for scheduled closures etc.

On our last trip, I'd worked it out that way but my husband, who knows London well, insisted on going the "right" way. But that line was having work done on it.

Bev
THank you very much for all your help.