Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Mortgages, being unemployed, etc, etc, etc ..(Split from national healthcare thread)

Mortgages, being unemployed, etc, etc, etc ..(Split from national healthcare thread)

Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused Yankee wants the truth on uks example of a national health care.

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
that a job can be lost in the UK if your sick for an extended period of time? what is there not to understand there? seriously?
Bloody hard to get sacked in the EU for being sick though...pretty damn easy in the US. Makes a difference.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:00 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgages, being unemployed, etc, etc, etc ..(Split from national healthcare thre

Well I've done a little surgery myself and split this thread. Please note I have not charged for this service, will not be itemizing the bill, and there was no queuing involved. Make sure you have cleared your bowels before leaving the hospital and that you have tied your hospital gown very tight, I do not want to glimpse your little white bum as it departs the building........... as you were.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:04 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgages, being unemployed, etc, etc, etc ..(Split from national healthcare thre

Sue, I note that you have been very witty recently and whatever you are on I want some!

I often wonder if there could be a way of making BE into a soap opera but then I guess it is already, maybe you shoud write a book with the highlights...
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:12 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Sue, I note that you have been very witty recently and whatever you are on I want some!

I often wonder if there could be a way of making BE into a soap opera but then I guess it is already, maybe you shoud write a book with the highlights...
BE is better than any soap opera. In fact if they made a movie about this site people would poo poo it as being too far fetched
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused Yankee wants the truth on uks example of a national health care.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Let me say this again.

My point was exactly that you DIDN'T know about them yet chose to weigh in on the UK situation.
Oh honestly Sally, even my husband DIDN'T know about this mortgage stuff. And I stand by my original statement that losing a job in the UK can happen (when you're ill) as well.

So stuff that in your pipe and smoke it.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Maybe it behooves someone who ventures forth and writes this about being unemployed in the UK...

... to actually know that the unemployed get help with mortgage interest? Or to at least acknowledge that they were inaccurate instead of droning on for pages trying to defend their position?

Anyway, leaving that aside, it's good that we've now ascertained the following:

(i) In the US, medical bill-related bankruptcy is commonplace but virtually unknown in the UK.

(ii) In the US people are much more likely to lose their home after a serious illness, especially one that results in subsequent unemployment.
As I've just wrote on Sally's post - I'll write the same on yours. When I asked my husband, when he got home if he knew about paying mortgage payments when you are ill, he said the same thing that I said - he would and did have disability payments to cover what his earnings wouldn't cover. When I told him there was something else that the government paid, he said he'd never heard of anything like that - he's a British citizen. And never been on a jobseekers allowance....so perhaps that's why he didn't know. But if he doesn't know (will definitely ask MIL next time I talk to her) how many others (who don't trot on down to jobseekers) are aware of this?

Maybe you should make it a public service to inform everyone of this service.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

As I've just wrote on Sally's post - I'll write the same on yours. When I asked my husband, when he got home if he knew about paying mortgage payments when you are ill, he said the same thing that I said - he would and did have disability payments to cover what his earnings wouldn't cover. When I told him there was something else that the government paid, he said he'd never heard of anything like that - he's a British citizen. And never been on a jobseekers allowance....so perhaps that's why he didn't know. But if he doesn't know (will definitely ask MIL next time I talk to her) how many others (who don't trot on down to jobseekers) are aware of this?

OK this is getting a bit silly, but I'll bite.

When you were informed that there is help for unemployed people with their mortgage payments in the UK, you could have said, "Oh right, I didn't realise that, thanks."

Whether your husband has been in receipt of benefits or not is neither here nor there.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Or maybe you should spend the 20 seconds it took me to find that info on the Internet before making a complete tit of yourself? Or do you have to ask your husband for permission to use Google?
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:47 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Seriously, maybe take the side argument elsewhere because this surely kills the thread to start picking at each other.
I agree, and at the risk of being nailed because I'm a Yank as well, it's a bit of a gang up, which I abhor, no matter WHO or WHAT the persons involved are...........
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
OK this is getting a bit silly, but I'll bite.

When you were informed that there is help for unemployed people with their mortgage payments in the UK, you could have said, "Oh right, I didn't realise that, thanks."

Whether your husband has been in receipt of benefits or not is neither here nor there.
Certainly isn't...my parents, my sister, her husband, my husband and myself have never received any government benefits. Well my father did after he lost his job as I have already said. Just because you haven't received them doesn't mean you are ignorant of the facts.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I agree, and at the risk of being nailed because I'm a Yank as well, it's a bit of a gang up, which I abhor, no matter WHO or WHAT the persons involved are...........
I have been posting in this thread...well it's previous carnation since the thread began.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree. Where there are factual errors I think it is worth examining them.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:55 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass

Listen you with the lovely voice, get with Elvira and write an opera,
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:57 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm too lowbrow for opera...
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now that's a great idea!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.