Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Mortgages, being unemployed, etc, etc, etc ..(Split from national healthcare thread)

Mortgages, being unemployed, etc, etc, etc ..(Split from national healthcare thread)

Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mortgages, being unemployed, etc, etc, etc ..(Split from national healthcare thread)

Originally Posted by Thydney
You would never lose your house to pay for medical stuff. You also have some legal rights to your job whilst you are sick and you would get sick pay from the state and free medicines etc
When I was in teaching you could get retirement at any age on ill health grounds, it would keep the wolf from the door.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused Yankee wants the truth on uks example of a national health care.

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I'm betting that it can be done in the UK as well.....the plus side is you don't have to worry about insurance. However, you do still have to worry about your other obligations should you lose a job because your ill. My husband's company did have a very good sick leave in the UK - much, much better then here. However, the companies that I worked for over there did not. I would have been out of luck.

In saying that, our neighbor just went back to work at his company and same position after being off work for 9 months and being paid disability. He has a union job, so perhaps that makes a difference.
Don't be daft how can you possibly lose your house in the UK to pay for healthcare?

Yes I know you would get sick pay and free medicines.....but certainly if you can't make your monthly mortgage, nor pay car payments, etc.....you're not going to be in a very good situation. Regardless if your sick or not.
What's losing your car/house when you're unemployed got to do with this thread? Come on now you really are grasping at straws.

BTW many don't...the mortgage is paid for by the UK social services.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 12th 2009 at 6:21 pm. Reason: to add another post
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:26 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused Yankee wants the truth on uks example of a national health care.

Yes I know you would get sick pay and free medicines.....but certainly if you can't make your monthly mortgage, nor pay car payments, etc.....you're not going to be in a very good situation. Regardless if your sick or not.
but you can still get benefits to cover the mortgage
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly Thyd and in some cases car payments.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't be daft how can you possibly lose your house in the UK to pay for healthcare?

Don't be silly JG....I didn't say anything about paying for healthcare, I said if you were sick and had to have an extended time off of work.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

You can get that here as well, along with benefits to cover car payments, credit card payments.....
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be silly JG....I didn't say anything about paying for healthcare, I said if you were sick and had to have an extended time off of work.
You said you were betting Thydney's situation could happen in the UK too - which I don't think it would.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Mortgage interest to be precise. But the basic point is that the difference between the two countries is that in the UK, you are extremely unlikely to have to worry about a medical bill-related bankruptcy, something that is the commonest cause of personal bankruptcy in the US.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What's losing your car/house when you're unemployed got to do with this thread? Come on now you really are grasping at straws.

BTW many don't...the mortgage is paid for by the UK social services.
I'm NOT grasping at straws, JG. I was commenting on what Thyd wrote.....
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You said you were betting Thydney's situation could happen in the UK too - which I don't think it would.
that someone could lose their house because they were off from work? sure it could....and that's exactly what I meant.

Actually going back and looking at what Thyd wrote, it was that an employer could sack you if you were ill from work..... And my comment was that it can be done in the UK as well. Which would lead to problems meeting your other obligations....

Last edited by AmerLisa; Aug 12th 2009 at 6:35 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

What Sally said below.

Exactly
I'm NOT grasping at straws, JG. I was commenting on what Thyd wrote.....

Yes you are...you are making the most outrageous comments to diss the UK.

that someone could lose their house because they were off from work? sure it could....and that's exactly what I meant.

Again they wouldn't...if they couldn't come to some agreement with the mortgage company...in most cases the SS will pay the mortgage.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 12th 2009 at 6:36 pm. Reason: to add another post
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Off from work for what reason?
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What Sally said below.

Exactly

Yes you are...you are making the most outrageous comments to diss the UK.
I'm not doing any such thing - and I'm pretty annoyed you are suggesting that. The fact that I disagree doesn't mean I'm dissing anything or anybody, JG. You need to get off that bandwagon.....especially being a moderator. Its pretty rude. See my above post where I AGAIN explained what I meant.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Actually going back and looking at what Thyd wrote, it was that an employer could sack you if you were ill from work..... And my comment was that it can be done in the UK as well. Which would lead to problems meeting your other obligations....
Let's make this really simple for you... do you agree or disagree with Thydney's statetment about the UK?

You would never lose your house to pay for medical stuff.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Off from work for what reason?
If someone was off work for an extended length of time in the UK, they too could lose their job. Certainly jobs aren't extended to people for life, are they?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.