Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Mortgages, being unemployed, etc, etc, etc ..(Split from national healthcare thread)

Mortgages, being unemployed, etc, etc, etc ..(Split from national healthcare thread)

Old Aug 12th 2009, 9:25 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused Yankee wants the truth on uks example of a national health care.

When you're verging on facism, you'll think everything is left wing.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused Yankee wants the truth on uks example of a national health care.

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Jeez..Well at least I learned something new about the program that the UK gov't will pay interest only on the mortgage to keep people from losing their homes. Out of curiosity, how do the banks feel about this? If a person is chronically ill, and the gov't is only paying interest only on a mortgage (up to a certain amount?), how does the mortgage lender handle that? Is the loan effectively sold to the gov't as the lien holder? How would a bank make money off the loan in a situation like that? Or is the bank just shit out of luck on a loan if a person gets that ill?
I think the banks are happier to be getting 'some' money, rather than none and having to foreclose on the property, they obviously hope that it is a short term problem, but I'm sure that if it turns into a longer term one, they would reconsider their options. The Gov't does not take over the ownership of the house. They don't expect the interest payments to be paid back once the problem is resolved either, it is just one of many benefits available, if you lose your job and have to accept assistance.

As for the bank making money, they get the interest payments, which is their profit from a mortgage anyway, eventually, if the house has to be sold, they will get their chunk out of whatever it sells for (the money owed on principal) So they don't really lose out, unless the house isn't worth what they loaned originally. That's how I understand it all to work, but don't quote me
Old Aug 12th 2009, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I'm sorry you couldn't understand what I was posting. Quite frankly it is hard for Americans to understand how the government would pay mortgages for years on end. To clarify it and tell me the government in the end "owns" the house makes more sense to me. But after reading Sunflower's post, those would be my next questions I'd ask....what happens to the mortgage company?

And this isn't about which country is better or not. I've lived in both countries and I would say one isn't necessarily better then the other. I could move back to the UK tomorrow and find as much not right over there. Different scenarios to be sure.
But the Gov't doesn't 'own' the house in the end, so that doesn't help you either.

No this isn't about which 'Country' is better, but which health system, can you at least admit that the NHS is better than the Private health care System, for most people?
Old Aug 12th 2009, 9:38 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
When you're verging on facism, you'll think everything is left wing.
When you're verging on communisim, you'll think everything is right wing
Old Aug 12th 2009, 9:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Jeez..Well at least I learned something new about the program that the UK gov't will pay interest only on the mortgage to keep people from losing their homes. Out of curiosity, how do the banks feel about this? If a person is chronically ill, and the gov't is only paying interest only on a mortgage (up to a certain amount?), how does the mortgage lender handle that? Is the loan effectively sold to the gov't as the lien holder? How would a bank make money off the loan in a situation like that? Or is the bank just shit out of luck on a loan if a person gets that ill?
I'm sorry you couldn't understand what I was posting. Quite frankly it is hard for Americans to understand how the government would pay mortgages for years on end. To clarify it and tell me the government in the end "owns" the house makes more sense to me. But after reading Sunflower's post, those would be my next questions I'd ask....what happens to the mortgage company?

And this isn't about which country is better or not. I've lived in both countries and I would say one isn't necessarily better then the other. I could move back to the UK tomorrow and find as much not right over there. Different scenarios to be sure.
The loans that are paid are interest only loans...quite common in the UK or at least they were when we lived there. When the term of the loan is up you still have to pay back the original loan.

Yes, JG, I know that. My similarity was that my grandmother can remain in her own home and not have to pay property taxes until her home is sold. She pays her mortgage payments from her retirement checks from social security. This is really getting bigger then it needs to be.

I really wasn't comparing elderly care here or there....it was just a similarity that I posted. Why does it always have to be a big event? What is the problem with grasping the smaller point?
You do have a way of trying to turn things around to your advantage. It was you who originally moved to the big event when you brought up the subject up about losing your home and job through unemployment. I did ask why you were doing this at the time because had really nothing to do with this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...48#post7836948

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 12th 2009 at 10:06 pm. Reason: inserting link
Old Aug 12th 2009, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Here's some info on mortgage interest payment for the unemployed as part of the "jobseekers allowance" benefit. There's a 13 week waiting period, a capital limit of £200,000, and it's limited to two years. There's no requirement to repay this at any point.

So Amerlisa's US "equivalent" as usual appears not to be.

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/...16128.xml.html
Old Aug 12th 2009, 10:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
because had really nothing to do with this thread.
A Moderator for this forum should really split the thread; yes, I'm annoyed it's gone off track on this side item.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 10:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
A Moderator for this forum should really split the thread; yes, I'm annoyed it's gone off track on this side item.
Arghhh I missed a word out...don't you just hate that? I rarely use the spell checker...then if I see a typo and I can't edit it really bugs me. Grrrrrrrrr
Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think it has been illuminating to see the different mindsets, which you described earlier, at work though.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think it has been illuminating to see the different mindsets, which you described earlier, at work though.
It reminds me of being like 5 or more pages of me insisting that there was no such country as Luxembourg.

When I was SEVEN.

Poor little Luxembourg girl.. I think we sent her home crying because her country didn't exist.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It reminds me of being like 5 or more pages of me insisting that there was no such country as Luxembourg.

When I was SEVEN.

Poor little Luxembourg girl.. I think we sent her home crying because her country didn't exist.
Oh well.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The loans that are paid are interest only loans...quite common in the UK or at least they were when we lived there. When the term of the loan is up you still have to pay back the original loan.

You do have a way of trying to turn things around to your advantage. It was you who originally moved to the big event when you brought up the subject up about losing your home and job through unemployment. I did ask why you were doing this at the time because had really nothing to do with this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...48#post7836948
Honestly JG, my original point was that someone could lose their job after being ill for a while, even in the UK. Why must you make this bigger then it had to be? To my advantage? Oh brother...

Oh btw, my husband is now home, asking him about this mortgage thingy (and have taken note of Giantaxe's post about jobseekers) and he had never heard of such a thing. After I read to him about the jobseekers thing it became more clear to him. So why would you or Sally think everyone knows about these mortgage programs?
Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh btw, my husband is now home, asking him about this mortgage thingy (and have taken note of Giantaxe's post about jobseekers) and he had never heard of such a thing. After I read to him about the jobseekers thing it became more clear to him. So why would you or Sally think everyone knows about these mortgage programs?
Let me say this again.

My point was exactly that you DIDN'T know about them yet chose to weigh in on the UK situation.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Honestly JG, my original point was that someone could lose their job after being ill for a while, even in the UK. Why must you make this bigger then it had to be? To my advantage? Oh brother...

I'm in a smiley answering mood tonight.

OK...I'm off the watch The Notebook.

Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it behooves someone who ventures forth and writes this about being unemployed in the UK...

Yes I know you would get sick pay and free medicines.....but certainly if you can't make your monthly mortgage, nor pay car payments, etc.....you're not going to be in a very good situation. Regardless if your sick or not.
... to actually know that the unemployed get help with mortgage interest? Or to at least acknowledge that they were inaccurate instead of droning on for pages trying to defend their position?

Anyway, leaving that aside, it's good that we've now ascertained the following:

(i) In the US, medical bill-related bankruptcy is commonplace but virtually unknown in the UK.

(ii) In the US people are much more likely to lose their home after a serious illness, especially one that results in subsequent unemployment.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Aug 13th 2009 at 12:19 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.