Location, location, location

Old Apr 25th 2011, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by cheers
I think it is important to be conservative in the price you pay because you might find that diamond for a good price but then if you have to sell it you realize that there are very few people that can afford to buy the same diamond.

I think we all know a lot of people who have a lot of money but are very conservative when it comes to spending it and thats why they have a lot of money, they don't squander it.
Conservative also means informed. For instance, we can see properties on Rightmove that at 100,000 pounds for a three-bedroomed semi look cheap but the reality is that they are in an area of the UK where property prices are falling twice as fast as anywhere else.

If we are only looking for a roof over our heads and reasonable local services and the fact that there is or isn't reasonable wage paying employment in the area is a non-issue then we must be satisfied that any property choice is not going to be one of the first in line to collapse in price when things take a turn for the worse. Of course we can also do research which will show that our area of choice could soon become an up-and-coming desirable hotspot. This is where the smart money is and has been made.

When property prices in the UK were on the up and up the property media made sure that they were always feeding the market with the next property hotspot which had typically already moved up to represent that fact but there was still money to be made if you know what I mean. All this meant was that anywhere that got left behind in the first big run-up of prices was quickly seized upon by the property pages and in no time flat the prices there too had become "normal". You could make serious money if you played (not us, the players) that game and cashed in when the timing was just right. In today's global markets just about everything is overdone, so that when prices come down they come down too much. This presents an opportunity on the downside. Average prices are falling off slightly but there are areas in the Northeast, around Hull and in Wales where prices are coming down quite significantly on a monthly basis.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Conservative also means informed. For instance, we can see properties on Rightmove that at 100,000 pounds for a three-bedroomed semi look cheap but the reality is that they are in an area of the UK where property prices are falling twice as fast as anywhere else.

If we are only looking for a roof over our heads and reasonable local services and the fact that there is or isn't reasonable wage paying employment in the area is a non-issue then we must be satisfied that any property choice is not going to be one of the first in line to collapse in price when things take a turn for the worse. Of course we can also do research which will show that our area of choice could soon become an up-and-coming desirable hotspot. This is where the smart money is and has been made.

When property prices in the UK were on the up and up the property media made sure that they were always feeding the market with the next property hotspot which had typically already moved up to represent that fact but there was still money to be made if you know what I mean. All this meant was that anywhere that got left behind in the first big run-up of prices was quickly seized upon by the property pages and in no time flat the prices there too had become "normal". You could make serious money if you played (not us, the players) that game and cashed in when the timing was just right. In today's global markets just about everything is overdone, so that when prices come down they come down too much. This presents an opportunity on the downside. Average prices are falling off slightly but there are areas in the Northeast, around Hull and in Wales where prices are coming down quite significantly on a monthly basis.
I can relate to all of this. What has surprised me is that I have looked at some really nice properties in some really bad locations and cannot help but wonder what the builder was thinking of. I can only assume that during the boom years they were managing to sell almost anything anywhere as people were snapping properties up merely with the thought of making money.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
I can only assume that during the boom years they were managing to sell almost anything anywhere as people were snapping properties up merely with the thought of making money.
I think that is right and buy-to-let landlords were big in that market. You see that banks are starting to look more favourably on buy-to-let landlords again right now by adjusting terms slightly in their favour - look out!

I well remember one of the last hotspots being Ashington, between Morpeth and Newbiggin-by-Sea which must have been the last bastion of low house prices in the North-east, where buyers were then charging in simply for the short-term gains when they flipped the property as the rising tide had lifted all boats, even those with no other basis for being lifted.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Over the budget but still.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-33289736.html
Old Apr 25th 2011, 6:15 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Hi Sally. Just curious what property shows you watch. I watch Escape to the Country and To Buy or Not to Buy, both on BBC. There used to be another one about buying a wreck (or not) but can't remember the name of it. It seems to have gone off the air. I am always looking for good property shows in the UK.

I won't be buying unless I win the lottery, of course, but I still find it educational and it also shows me the lovely British countryside
My very favorites are Location, Location, Location and its sister show, creatively entitled Relocation, Relocation, Relocation. They're on Channel 4 and have been on for years and years, so you'll have lots to catch up on.

There's also one about homes by the sea whose name escapes me, 'A Place in the Sun, Home or Away' and then there are the renovation shows like Sarah Beeny's show, or the building from scratch shows like Grand Designs. 'Build a new life in the Country' is good too - very cute presenter! - but that's about people who have already bought a place and are doing it up.

I know it sounds like I must do nothing but watch TV but it's not true! I spend a lot of time cooking and I play these in the background while I work.

Edited to add: I also recommend DIY SOS which is like 60 minute makeover only they redo a whole house in 10 days - it's just a fun show.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Apr 25th 2011 at 6:18 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by johnh009
Thanks, I am about to buy so I need to know these things. I notice the Zoopla site also has a section on what houses actually sold for also. I am hoping in this market that I do not get gazundered.
Heh! Good Luck!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
My very favorites are Location, Location, Location and its sister show, creatively entitled Relocation, Relocation, Relocation. They're on Channel 4 and have been on for years and years, so you'll have lots to catch up on.

There's also one about homes by the sea whose name escapes me, 'A Place in the Sun, Home or Away' and then there are the renovation shows like Sarah Beeny's show, or the building from scratch shows like Grand Designs. 'Build a new life in the Country' is good too - very cute presenter! - but that's about people who have already bought a place and are doing it up.

I know it sounds like I must do nothing but watch TV but it's not true! I spend a lot of time cooking and I play these in the background while I work.

Edited to add: I also recommend DIY SOS which is like 60 minute makeover only they redo a whole house in 10 days - it's just a fun show.
Thanks so much, Sally. Are these programs all on Channel 4?

You do exactly what I do, work in the kitchen and play the shows in the background on the computer! Gives me the warm fuzzies
Old Apr 25th 2011, 6:32 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Oh yes I have NO CHOICE but to watch that at my sister's place, I think she is a little in with the presenter LOL!!

Good show too, they take kind of renovation disasters where somebody has taken ill and can't finish the project or something of that nature and bring in the professionals, you usually need to get the tissues out by the end.

Last edited by Beedubya; Apr 25th 2011 at 7:20 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 6:36 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Beautiful house and garden! Only complaint is that ugly washing machine in the kitchen. I would have to find a spot for a laundry room somewhere!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mallory
Beautiful house and garden! Only complaint is that ugly washing machine in the kitchen. I would have to find a spot for a laundry room somewhere!
Funny that! Kitchen (13 x 11) (photo must be distorted) is tiny for a house of that value and there is no designated utility room for the washer dryer but you could re-jig and re-plumb things.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 25th 2011 at 6:46 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh yes I have NO CHOICE but to watch that at my sister's place, I think she is a little in with the presenter LOL!!

Good show too, they take kind of renovation disaster swhere somebody has taken ill and can't finish the project or something of that nature and bring in the professionals, you usually need to get the tissues out by the end.
Bee . . .what channel is DIY SOS on? I don't see it on ITV or BBC iplayers.

PS: I think I just found DIY SOS on BBC

Last edited by windsong; Apr 25th 2011 at 7:14 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 7:21 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Bee . . .what channel is DIY SOS on? I don't see it on ITV or BBC iplayers.

PS: I think I just found DIY SOS on BBC
Yes it is on BBC 1 with Nick Knowles.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes it is on BBC 1 with Nick Knowles.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

Heh! Good Luck!
Also you can check out ourproperty.co.uk there is a lot of information on this site
Old Apr 25th 2011, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but on the other side of the table that is why the issue of gazumping is looked upon so poorly in the UK. Buyers engage the services of a lawyer and typically a surveyor to check over the property as soon as their offer is accepted. So they are already starting to accumulate buyer costs. The surveyor could uncover issues which mean there is a need for price adjustment or justifiable withdrawal, such as subsidence, serious rising damp, mundic or whatever. The lawyer could uncover right of way or strange title issues which similarly trigger a withdrawal. On the other hand they could have done all of this investigative work and still be prepared to go and the vendor gazumps.

That's why we have "Subject to" clauses in the agreement here. The offer is a legal commitment subject to conditions; if the conditions are met the offer is legal and binding; if not, then the offer is no longer binding.
The 2 most common "subject to" clauses are building inspection and financing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.