Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

"Inbetweenies" Thread:For those who are definitely returning, but not for a while

"Inbetweenies" Thread:For those who are definitely returning, but not for a while

Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:45 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Inbetweenies" Thread:For those who are definitely returning, but not for a while

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
It's so weird isn't it? I'm so looking forward to the social side of life again. My Canadian husband remembers often being in the pub in London with a friend and leaving with a totally different group of people. He loved how friendly and out going people were compared to here. We laugh a great deal when on holiday in the UK and realise we rarely laugh here in social groups. We have a few friends who are great but it's a very small social circle.
When dh sees pictures of us on holiday at Mums he always comments about the smiling and laughing, he says I don't do enough of that here. I think he should see my with my friends here we cry laughing too, I see far too little of them and it's taken 15 years of being friends to get to this point. It used to take me a week or less with work mates in UK. I miss laughing daily.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Inbetweenies" Thread:For those who are definitely returning, but not for a while

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass

And 'special' occasions eg Birthdays,Christmas just seem to come and go. Nzers don't 'do' cards. Back home I sent/gave out loads of Chrissie cards. All the neighbours, everyone at work and got loads back. The house full of lovely cards. Here not many shops even sell cards and there is very little choice. The best cards have been imported ftrom the UK (which I send all the way back..well travelled cards!) You'd be hard pushed to even know Christmas was happening. With going back Oct. till Nov. at least I'll get a taste of Christmas and the build up before I fly back.
Personally I see the NZ low key style Christmas as brilliant, Christmas is totally over done in the UK, but there again I am just a grinch when it comes to Christmas, bahh hum bug and all that

I love Christmas in Australia when I was there, so much more relaxing than the UK. Everything you seem to do for Christmas in the UK you do because you feel you have to, or it is tradition. You will cook for 20 people, you will eat turkey and sprouts, you will watch rubbish on TV. Ok we all have a choice of what we do, but in the UK it seems like enforced fun to me, sat with a ***** paper hat on watching the queen on TV whilst your relatives are snoring and farting on the sofa and the rain hammers down outside, then just as you have finished clearing up from Christmas lunch you start on the tea.

Give me a new world Xmas any day !!!

Last edited by Jon77; Aug 2nd 2010 at 9:29 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

tdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jon77
Personally I see the NZ low key style Christmas as brilliant, Christmas is totally over done in the UK, but there again I am just a grinch when it comes to Christmas, bahh hum bug and all that

I love Christmas in Australia when I was there, so much more relaxing than the UK. Everything you seem to do for Christmas in the UK you do because you feel you have to, or it is tradition. You will cook for 20 people, you will eat turkey and sprouts, you will watch rubbish on TV. Ok we all have a choice of what we do, but in the UK it seems like enforced fun to me, sat with a ***** paper hat on watching the queen on TV whilst your relatives are snoring and farting on the sofa and the rain hammers down outside, then just as you have finished clearing up from Christmas lunch you start on the tea.

Give me a new world Xmas any day !!!
Disagree completely about Christmas in Australia Jon. To me Xmas in Aus is just another backyard BBQ on a hot day - same as most other weekends. If it wasn't for my son I don't think I'd bother with it at all.

Each to their own though....
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tdib
Disagree completely about Christmas in Australia Jon. To me Xmas in Aus is just another backyard BBQ on a hot day - same as most other weekends. If it wasn't for my son I don't think I'd bother with it at all.

Each to their own though....
Christman in Australia meant to me a trip to the Fish Markets to purchase things we didn't usually have, oysters, big prawns, balmain bugs, squid, the works ! We would just throw a seafood platter together, VERY simply cook it and let everyone dig in and help themselves as and when they wanted it.

I really miss that top quality seafood.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

tdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the rough

Christman in Australia meant to me a trip to the Fish Markets to purchase things we didn't usually have, oysters, big prawns, balmain bugs, squid, the works ! We would just throw a seafood platter together, VERY simply cook it and let everyone dig in and help themselves as and when they wanted it.

I really miss that top quality seafood.
That does sound a cut above the typical 800 beef snags,fatty chops,carbonized onions and salad-on-paper-plates I am more used to...

An don't forget a trailer-load of cartons of "piss" and a pavlova
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tdib
That does sound a cut above the typical 800 beef snags,fatty chops,carbonized onions and salad-on-paper-plates I am more used to...

An don't forget a trailer-load of cartons of "piss" and a pavlova

It doesn't matter where you live big celebrations are whatever you make of them. We deliberatly reserved special christmas only things that we didn't have any other time of the year when we were in Australia, made the day that little bit more special.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:48 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

but in the UK it seems like enforced fun to me, sat with a ***** paper hat on watching the queen on TV whilst your relatives are snoring and farting on the sofa and the rain hammers down outside, then just as you have finished clearing up from Christmas lunch you start on the tea.
Now that sounds like fun to me!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Now that sounds like fun to me!
Excellent, you can have my relations for Christmas this year
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 2:02 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Nice try but I suspect it's only endearing when it's your own relatives farting, and not someone else's.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Red face Re: "Inbetweenies" Thread:For those who are definitely returning, but not for a while

Excellent, you can have my relations for Christmas this year
Well Well Well Jon77! I think you have your name mixed up a bit with ''Scrooge'' - Christmas is for you to moan, do the crossword , or whatever floats your boat. But one thing is for sure, at 80 years of age, I cannot wait to get out of Thailand, get back to good old Shropshire, with my little Thai lovely, and get invited round to someone's for Christmas dinner!

and Kentish Lass, Mummy, and others who know me -Still flogging bits off, and just got good news, my Daughter in Shropshire, got her early retirement set for October. - so all will be good! - Roll on March, dontheturner
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Aw Don thats awesome march will be here before you know it....flogging your stuff then, good job.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:14 pm
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

Oh dear, all this talk about Oz christmas vs Uk christmas...I am trying to get back to the Uk for christmas this year but so far nothing's really happening. I don't think I can stand another Ozzie christmas as my son will be 2.5yrs old & will be just the right age to get excited about it, but without family here & the general lack of festiveness it will be so awful.

I want to go back & have my second child at home as I won't be able to stand the guilt of having another baby here & family at home missing out, esp as I am an only child so the only one producing grandchildren for my parents (after a long wait!). If we can't get back this year we will rent a place with a granny flat & have my parents over for a year or so while we have the second child & hopefully all go back before the first child is due to start school.

Btw Kentish people I am also a Kentish Maid, or Maid of Kent! I grew up in Canterbury & my parents are now in fab Whitstable. You can't go wrong with a nice bit of Kentish scenery: lovely countryside, orchards & hop fields, oast houses!, small villages to have a pub lunch in
Old Aug 5th 2010, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been trying to get back to England for the past 2yrs. The problem is selling the house. The first time we put it on the market the interest rates had just gone up for the 10th time and people who were struggling with their mortgages started dropping their prices drastically. Then due to the world financial crisis, people were holding off from buying property.

We have got the house back on the market now, but there dont appear to be many genuine buyers around at present. We dont have any deadline to be back in the UK, so we dont intend to give away a chunk of the equity we have in the house, just so we can move back. It is very frustrating though.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Shame about the house manc, and good luck to everyone wanting to get home.
do you know if there are a lot of people leaving Aus? Just curious?
Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Shame about the house manc, and good luck to everyone wanting to get home.
do you know if there are a lot of people leaving Aus? Just curious?

Hi charleygirl, I dont have the up to date figures on people leaving oz, but below are some figures from 2yrs ago. I heard the other day that these figures have increased considerably, but I have been unable to find the stats. If anyone can update the figures, feel free.

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2008-...7a0044a5733885

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.