I Think I've Made A Big Mistake

Old Jun 16th 2007, 1:14 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default I Think I've Made A Big Mistake

Yesterday at work, i made the fatal error of telling my work colleagues we are going home. I know, i know!! I shouldnt have done it. But we were discussing my daughters health with the baby etc. and it eventually just came out. Geez i could kick myself.
I spent the rest of my entire day trying to defend our decision to people who have no earthly clue about how i feel.

One said i was crazy as Australia is the best country on earth :curse: This from a bloke who has only ever left Aus once for a 4 week holiday in USA.

Another tried to make me feel guilty for getting Aus citizenship and now buggering off.

For the rest of the afternoon i had to endure idiotic sarcasm.

The next few months are gonna be fun!!
Old Jun 16th 2007, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Think I've Made A Big Mistake

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Yesterday at work, i made the fatal error of telling my work colleagues we are going home. I know, i know!! I shouldnt have done it. But we were discussing my daughters health with the baby etc. and it eventually just came out. Geez i could kick myself.
I spent the rest of my entire day trying to defend our decision to people who have no earthly clue about how i feel.

One said i was crazy as Australia is the best country on earth :curse: This from a bloke who has only ever left Aus once for a 4 week holiday in USA.

Another tried to make me feel guilty for getting Aus citizenship and now buggering off.

Hi Flea

Well cats out of the bag now so.....
Just hold a picture of UK in your head, all together with your family, on a nice walk somewhere or something & every time you get a ' its grey, its cold, are you mad' type comment, smile to yourself knowing you are v lucky indeed.

I had someone who'd never left NSW say to me about the UK when I said I was leaving ' wont you miss the colours here'...

I've been telling my chums here I'm off and they've all been so lovely. I'm going to cry like a big baby when I say bye.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 1:37 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Birdy

You are very lucky to have good people around you. I take full responsibility for stuffing this up and will have to swallow the bagging i will get form now on.
Sadly, i work with people who, for the most part, are quite unempathetic to anyones situation not just this kind of thing. I get the feeling they are taking my departure as a personal insult! Even though i have explained my daughter needs me and i need her.

Oh well..
Old Jun 16th 2007, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Some people eh!!

The thing is I quite admire the fact that Australians defend their country and say its the best. At least they do have some pride in where they live.

I will be saying that in the UK from now on!

If they are proper friends they will support you.....if not then they are not worth bothering with anyway. (imo)

LibbyX
Old Jun 16th 2007, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LIBBY
Some people eh!!

The thing is I quite admire the fact that Australians defend their country and say its the best. At least they do have some pride in where they live.

I will be saying that in the UK from now on!

If they are proper friends they will support you.....if not then they are not worth bothering with anyway. (imo)

LibbyX
Very true Libby.

Just hold your head high Flea & dont let comments get to you. If your colleagues dont understand why you're heading back, ignore any flack
Old Jun 16th 2007, 1:54 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Very true Libby.

Just hold your head high Flea & dont let comments get to you. If your colleagues dont understand why you're heading back, ignore any flack
Thanks girls.

I also admire people being proud of their country, but i dont admire them doing it at the cost of everyone elses. I have found many aussies have no comprehension of how offensive they are to other nationalities.
Thankfully the people i work with are not really personal friends of mine, although my one good friend here is also one of the "aussie is best the rest of you are crap" camp. I try not to talk too much about England
Old Jun 16th 2007, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks girls.

I also admire people being proud of their country, but i dont admire them doing it at the cost of everyone elses. I have found many aussies have no comprehension of how offensive they are to other nationalities.
Thankfully the people i work with are not really personal friends of mine, although my one good friend here is also one of the "aussie is best the rest of you are crap" camp. I try not to talk too much about England
I've never ever come across such a patritic nation b4.
So different from most Brits. Think a stint here has made me so much prouder of UK and being from there. A very good thing to have taken from time here
Old Jun 16th 2007, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it interesting how we are considered "bloody pommy b.....ds who should b.gg.r off back home", but all the Aussies (i assume your colleagues are Aussies) have a go as soon as you decide that is exactly what you are doing!

Funny lot......
Old Jun 16th 2007, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

i made the fatal error of ..........

I did a beauty this week, waiting for the car to be serviced other owners waffling on about camping, you know the same old spots where there is nothing really, certainly not anything special, just another bit of beach/scrub and a veeeery long drive to get to it.

I am just sitting there casually flicking though a magazine and after a speel of how you can spend a month at ayres rock, the dead beach town of 1770 is raised, half concentrating by now I chirp up " yeah we went there, long drive, bit disappointed really nowt there". OMG Woman goes nuts totally crazed that someone would dare say such a thing But its true, how many dead beach spots can a person do before going stark raving bonkers.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I did a beauty this week, waiting for the car to be serviced other owners waffling on about camping, you know the same old spots where there is nothing really, certainly not anything special, just another bit of beach/scrub and a veeeery long drive to get to it.

I am just sitting there casually flicking though a magazine and after a speel of how you can spend a month at ayres rock, the dead beach town of 1770 is raised, half concentrating by now I chirp up " yeah we went there, long drive, bit disappointed really nowt there". OMG Woman goes nuts totally crazed that someone would dare say such a thing But its true, how many dead beach spots can a person do before going stark raving bonkers.
You're person after my own heart.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 4:50 am
I don't give a damn

Thanks for all your comments. To cheer myself up i decided to do what every Aussie does on a wet day. Went shopping!! Retail therapy is good for the soul

Jad i agree with you. Whilst i love the sunsets and sunrise in Aus and the gorgeous birdlife. I find the terraine and the scenery utterly boring.
Gum trees, gum trees and MORE gum trees. A rather grey shade of green instead of the lucious deep and varied greens of UK. I have 7 beaches within 10 mins drive of my place and i am bored with all of them! I think i went to the beach 4 times throughout the entire summer

One big things i will miss though, is the ferry rides on Sydney harbour. Probably my fave thing to do in Aus.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all your comments. To cheer myself up i decided to do what every Aussie does on a wet day. Went shopping!! Retail therapy is good for the soul

Jad i agree with you. Whilst i love the sunsets and sunrise in Aus and the gorgeous birdlife. I find the terraine and the scenery utterly boring.
Gum trees, gum trees and MORE gum trees. A rather grey shade of green instead of the lucious deep and varied greens of UK. I have 7 beaches within 10 mins drive of my place and i am bored with all of them! I think i went to the beach 4 times throughout the entire summer

One big things i will miss though, is the ferry rides on Sydney harbour. Probably my fave thing to do in Aus.
Agree Flea. Even though where I reside is actually green and hilly and love the plants around...once away from this small area its back to same old same old sugar cane/gum trees...dry scrub. Give me UK countryside any day

We should all have a meet in Uk one day - a lovely walk followed by a pub
Old Jun 16th 2007, 5:11 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Agree Flea. Even though where I reside is actually green and hilly and love the plants around...once away from this small area its back to same old same old sugar cane/gum trees...dry scrub. Give me UK countryside any day

We should all have a meet in Uk one day - a lovely walk followed by a pub

I would love to do that Birdy. Maybe the pub will sell decent cider?
Old Jun 16th 2007, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

get used to it..

When you get back to England all you will here is "what did you come back to this dump for"
Old Jun 16th 2007, 7:05 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody Idiots Flea - ignorant and foolish so take no notice of them.

I think that while much of it stems from the traditional Aussie attitude and press brainwashing, the Brits themselves are mostly to blame as all we tend to do is slag off our own country. There are so many expats living in Oz who can't wait to tell the Aussies just what an awful dump they've left behind. It makes them feel better about their move.

Maybe we should all start being more outspoken in response to them and tell them that the UK is the best country in the world, see how they like that (but wear some body armour)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.