Failed Driving Test

Old Sep 24th 2016, 9:20 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Failed Driving Test

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I'm a bit confused here. Mrs TB swapped her Aussie license for a UK one a few years ago. No need for a test in the UK. She can drive either manual or auto on her licence. When I moved to Oz, there was no such thing as licence exchange, so I have always maintained separate UK and Oz licences ( can drive either also). My Oz licence expires in 2019 and I can't renew again from UK. Did you take an auto test in UK to avoid swapping your Oz licence?

To issue itself. When we arrived here years ago, Mrs TB had forgotten how to drive a manual ( she hadn't driven one since living in Korea), we only wanted one car, so I bought a 2.0 auto Focus Ti. It was a nice car but Mrs TB didn't drive that much, enough to make it worthwhile though.

We sold the Focus before moving to Winchester and needed a family car for baby's arrival. Mrs TB said she didn't want to drive at all, we live right in town and she can walk everywhere. So for three years, she hasn't driven, I've had a manual car ( POS Renault scenic, never buy a French car but that's another story )

Soon we will move further out of town and will change the car for an automatic so she can drive again. I will get her some lessons just to shake the rustiness off. But I don't see what's so magic about a manual car with all the traffic these days? I don't understand the ' real men drive manuals' stuff. I bought a manual as its a bit cheaper to run but modern DSG boxes are very close now.

Edith's, I think your hubby is living in the past a bit, there a ton of small autos, look at the Fiesta range or Polo. Just buy what you need at the time.
I was probably a bit unclear. Or you're confused I'm still driving on my Oz licence, you get a year to swap it. But thanks for reminding me, just over a month to go so I'd better hop to it.

We bought a diesel 2013 Peugeot SUV type car soon after arrival, auto of course! It was 8,500 pounds and it's a bloody ripper (so far).

I'll be back in Oz for a visit before my licence there is due for renewal, so I'll just do it then. No problem if you don't have the hard copy, I'm just going to say I lost it.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Sep 24th 2016 at 9:23 am.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I was probably a bit unclear. Or you're confused I'm still driving on my Oz licence, you get a year to swap it. But thanks for reminding me, just over a month to go so I'd better hop to it.

We bought a diesel 2013 Peugeot SUV type car soon after arrival, auto of course! It was 8,500 pounds and it's a bloody ripper (so far).

I'll be back in Oz for a visit before my licence there is due for renewal, so I'll just do it then. No problem if you don't have the hard copy, I'm just going to say I lost it.
The bit I'm confused about is you having an Oz licence that's auto only? Our NSW licences don't make a distinction (at least I don't think so).
Old Sep 24th 2016, 2:13 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

The bit I'm confused about is you having an Oz licence that's auto only? Our NSW licences don't make a distinction (at least I don't think so).
In WA if you've taken your test in a manual transmission vehicle, you can drive either manual or auto. If you took it in an auto vehicle, you can only drive an auto.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

In WA if you've taken your test in a manual transmission vehicle, you can drive either manual or auto. If you took it in an auto vehicle, you can only drive an auto.
Ah I see. I thought they were bringing that in NSW but not sure if they ever did? Our licences pre date that.

I think we may look at a Golf Plus or Subaru next.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 5:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Ah. Thanks for that. When I looked at Fiat's website they did not seem to be offering an automatic 500 currently, but maybe I missed something.
My mother owns an automatic Fiat 500. She's licensed to drive a manual but after years of driving Citroen 2CVs with their weird dashboard gear stick she switched to an automatic Rover Metro and has been driving automatics ever since.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 6:37 pm
Concierge

Ah I see. I thought they were bringing that in NSW but not sure if they ever did? Our licences pre date that.

I think we may look at a Golf Plus or Subaru next.
I had a quick look at the NSW site and it looks like you're right, the new rule is you need to have taken your test in a manual to legally drive one but it's not retrospective.

I love Subarus, had a Forester in Oz. Hope you're fully recovered from your surgery - on your bike! (I always wanted to write that on BE)
Old Sep 24th 2016, 7:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
She's licensed to drive a manual but after years of driving Citroen 2CVs with their weird dashboard gear stick
I'm in love with your mother. I hope you'll forgive me?
Old Sep 24th 2016, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

I had a quick look at the NSW site and it looks like you're right, the new rule is you need to have taken your test in a manual to legally drive one but it's not retrospective.

I love Subarus, had a Forester in Oz. Hope you're fully recovered from your surgery - on your bike! (I always wanted to write that on BE)

Ah I see.

Yeah, recovery going well thanks. I'm in a road race tomorrow (50 miles), gonna get spanked but will be nice to pin on a number again
Old Sep 24th 2016, 7:32 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm in love with your mother. I hope you'll forgive me?
I'll let it slide
Old Sep 24th 2016, 7:45 pm
Concierge

Ah I see.

Yeah, recovery going well thanks. I'm in a road race tomorrow (50 miles), gonna get spanked but will be nice to pin on a number again
Your first road race since your surgery is 50 miles? Glad to see you're easing back into it gently Good luck.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 9:55 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha

I tried practice driving in our Fiat 500 with the OH once. Imagine being given a driving lesson by Woody Allen. Never again.

One disadvantage of getting an automatic licence is that there are no small automatic cars. OH points out that a small car makes it easier to negotiate narrow country roads.
I've been driving for over 40 years, and I refuse to drive with OH in the car.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 4:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
I've been driving for over 40 years, and I refuse to drive with OH in the car.
I taught my wife how to drive over 40 years ago. She passed her test first time (admittedly in California where the bar isn't set particularly high, or wasn't then).

Nowadays she prefers to drive with me as the passenger/navigator which is fine by me. On motorways/autoroutes/freeways she drives at least 10-15 mph faster than I feel comfortable doing these days, so we get there more quickly.

I drive in cities though. That's my bottom line.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Editha, I returned to Belfast in September 2015. Taxis were relatively cheap and being reasonably close to the city I decided a car wasn't necessary. I was wrong. I really did need a car. Being over 70, and my original NI licence from 1964 no longer valid, I left myself just 2 months to get a car and pass the test. Bought an automatic and had nine lessons before test. Failed with 3 serious and 10 minors 😩 I actually thought I had done pretty well 😬 So rebooked for three weeks later. Took another 10 lessons. I could not believe second time I got the same examiner. I'm sure he saw the sheer fear in my face. Passed with just 3 minors. My instructor said the examiner could see I was a nervous wreck first time around. Second time I went without instructor breathing down my neck and felt much more confident without her in the car. If I could do it, I just know you can! Do you watch videotapes on Utube of actual test conditions?
Old Oct 31st 2016, 7:43 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the encouragement. I've just started lessons in an automatic. The OH is now resigned to changing our car if I pass.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Glad your partner has come around. I had only driven automatic in TX for 43 years. I couldn't imagine driving a stick shift again. It makes a huge difference to have a car. Mind you, I'm still not thrilled about being here.......yet xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.