Failed Driving Test

Old Jul 16th 2016, 11:56 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Failed Driving Test

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
I think the harder thing to do is find someone who passed their test at the first attempt!
I'm sure there are a good few, but in recent years I'll bet there are less.
Does this mean that drivers today are not so well taught, or as a friend suggested, this is a nice little earner?

I could spit that I did not get behind the wheel within my first year back to keep my licence, but I was snowed under.
Now I have to go through the damn thing again, and am quite sure the first attempt will fail....
...and the second...
What do you mean about having to take the test again? Isn't a British driving licence valid to age 70? (Subject being updated with a new residential address..)
Old Jul 16th 2016, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
What do you mean about having to take the test again? Isn't a British driving licence valid to age 70? (Subject being updated with a new residential address..)
Sorry! I should have clarified that my Australian drivers licence would be valid and revert to a UK licence without taking a test;- if I provide evidence that I was driving in the UK within the first year of residence.
If not, then I (all returnees), have to apply for a UK licence and take the damn test!

Friends suggested just hiring a car, or buying a cheapy, but there was a lot happening, and the bus service though taking longer getting A to B, is reasonably good.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 12:19 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

My OH did the same thing, when he came to the UK thirty years ago. He couldn't afford a car, being a student, so he didn't get round to exchanging his Canadian licence. He had to take the test twice.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

I was lucky...passed first time (way back in 1993). At that point in my life I had been driving for 30 years in the US, and mostly a manual transmission. Did drive automatics in rental cars when I traveled for work, but that was about it.

I did take 6 lessons, and had a great instructor who said he was teaching me how to pass the test, not how to drive, and I took the test in his car, which helped a lot since my other alternatives were a LHD Triumph Spitfire and my husband's Jag-monster.

Based on anecdotal information, the test is harder now. Well done for learning to drive at a late age, and no shame in not passing on the first try. Parallel parking? From what I've seen, few folks do it correctly. I've been doing it for nearly half a century, and still line up badly on the 1st attempt.

Hang in there!
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Thanks all for your comforting comments! I've rebooked the test for August. I simply have to get my licence because I need to ferry mum around, so I must retake the test until I pass.
How did you get on Editha? it was a good result for you second time round.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 2:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The tester said he could not even take me out due to having a non working horn.
I can't believe that here we are, all Brits, and nobody is giggling at this.

You should have told him you'd be happy to go out with him but that he should see a doctor about his medical problem.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 5:38 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I took the test again, failed again, but failed worse.

It is looking rather hopeless. There is marital friction over this. OH doesn't want me to take the test on an automatic, because he doesn't want to change our car for an automatic. Neither of us wants to have two cars, one for him and one for me, though it might come to that. OH thinks that if I take the test often enough on a manual, I am bound to pass eventually. I don't have the impression that my instructor shares OH's opinion.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 7:20 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I took the test again, failed again, but failed worse.

It is looking rather hopeless. There is marital friction over this. OH doesn't want me to take the test on an automatic, because he doesn't want to change our car for an automatic. Neither of us wants to have two cars, one for him and one for me, though it might come to that. OH thinks that if I take the test often enough on a manual, I am bound to pass eventually. I don't have the impression that my instructor shares OH's opinion.
Sorry to hear that Editha. I too only have an automatic licence, manuals hated me and I hated them.

I hope you and your OH sort it out relatively amicably - you (we all) need the independence your licence would give you. Sounds like a manual is a preference for your OH, but it may be that an auto is a necessity for you. I know that you're perfectly capable of fighting your own corner (I have the scars ), but maybe he'd see his insistence on a manual differently if you framed it that way? Anyway, best of luck in sorting it.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 8:00 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Are you driving in between lessons with your OH in the passenger seat?
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 8:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Are you driving in between lessons with your OH in the passenger seat?
That is a good question. But I rather think not.

Editha, I think your OH is being unsympathetically pigheaded. You've already explained why you need to drive, does he not understand that?
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that Editha.

Does your instructor think you would fare better in an automatic?

There is perhaps not much point in causing friction in your marriage if the professional view is that it wouldn't make any difference to switch to an automatic.

Tough choices all round - hope you resolve it soon.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 5:26 am
Was in Canada, now home.

I'm not sure exactly what my instructor's views are. He seems gobsmacked by how royally I screwed up the tests. Unlike OH, he is in the back seat when I'm being examined so he experiences the full horror. He doesn't have an automatic dual control car, so I'd have to switch instructors. I suspect that he just wishes I'd go away.

I tried practice driving in our Fiat 500 with the OH once. Imagine being given a driving lesson by Woody Allen. Never again.

One disadvantage of getting an automatic licence is that there are no small automatic cars. OH points out that a small car makes it easier to negotiate narrow country roads.

Last edited by Editha; Sep 24th 2016 at 5:29 am.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Sorry to hear that Editha. I too only have an automatic licence, manuals hated me and I hated them.

I hope you and your OH sort it out relatively amicably - you (we all) need the independence your licence would give you. Sounds like a manual is a preference for your OH, but it may be that an auto is a necessity for you. I know that you're perfectly capable of fighting your own corner (I have the scars ), but maybe he'd see his insistence on a manual differently if you framed it that way? Anyway, best of luck in sorting it.
I'm a bit confused here. Mrs TB swapped her Aussie license for a UK one a few years ago. No need for a test in the UK. She can drive either manual or auto on her licence. When I moved to Oz, there was no such thing as licence exchange, so I have always maintained separate UK and Oz licences ( can drive either also). My Oz licence expires in 2019 and I can't renew again from UK. Did you take an auto test in UK to avoid swapping your Oz licence?

To issue itself. When we arrived here years ago, Mrs TB had forgotten how to drive a manual ( she hadn't driven one since living in Korea), we only wanted one car, so I bought a 2.0 auto Focus Ti. It was a nice car but Mrs TB didn't drive that much, enough to make it worthwhile though.

We sold the Focus before moving to Winchester and needed a family car for baby's arrival. Mrs TB said she didn't want to drive at all, we live right in town and she can walk everywhere. So for three years, she hasn't driven, I've had a manual car ( POS Renault scenic, never buy a French car but that's another story )

Soon we will move further out of town and will change the car for an automatic so she can drive again. I will get her some lessons just to shake the rustiness off. But I don't see what's so magic about a manual car with all the traffic these days? I don't understand the ' real men drive manuals' stuff. I bought a manual as its a bit cheaper to run but modern DSG boxes are very close now.

Edith's, I think your hubby is living in the past a bit, there a ton of small autos, look at the Fiesta range or Polo. Just buy what you need at the time.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 6:51 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

One disadvantage of getting an automatic licence is that there are no small automatic cars. OH points out that a small car makes it easier to negotiate narrow country roads.
Ahem, Used Cars for Sale - Auto Trader UK
Old Sep 24th 2016, 7:08 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ah. Thanks for that. When I looked at Fiat's website they did not seem to be offering an automatic 500 currently, but maybe I missed something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.