Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Old Jan 1st 2008, 4:51 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Originally Posted by chance to be
Tracey, if its any consolation to you, heres how my first year and a bit back home has been. OH DIDNT want to come back. Came back because of me. Sometimes when things were hard, I'd catch an expression on his face and thinks he hates it/resents me etc etc and boy, was it hard to keep it all together.
I went into overdrive like a demented tour guide for the UK (spent a fortune) arranging things to do we couldnt in Perth to help see the good in moving back. So, in a year we have been to 3 different European city breaks, the theatre, gigs etc and it has been much more fulfilling than we ever did in the UK before we left - and what we ever did in Perth for that matter. The kids, with no word of a lie are in fantastic schools and have a varied out-of-school activities. They are happy. They miss the "holiday weather" of Perth and the feeling of being on holiday that goes with it but thats it. They go out on their own and it is as safe as anywhere else.
Anyway, fast forward a year. As you know, I never got C-Ship, like you and regret it terribly. If I had it, I think I would be ok now....but the guilt I have (that you feel too) is still here. But you have C Ship so an easy option to return - you havent deprived your family of anything. You are just giving them an opportunity to experience a different lifestyle again, which they can or cannot choose long term.I applied recently for a job in Perth. I didnt get it - but my reasoning was, "if we can go back one year and i get the C Ship", it wasnt all for nothing after all. Its the guilt and sense of failure talking. BUT, and this is the important BUT for you, Tracey, When I told OH, id applied for a job, he said theres no way he'd want to go back to Perth now and cant even think about it. He said, "why when lifes on track here after all this upheaval." He said what can we get there (apart from weather) that we cant achieve or havent already got here.? So, it took a good year - but he's settled. I dont know if its cos I was the instigator in all this that I'll ever get over the guilt/regret (in that sense, its made no difference what country Im in) but, for him....he has moved on and is happy with his life.
Yours will be too (but it takes a lot of effort and patience)
Try not to worry
If you set shorter term plans (2yrs at a time maybe?), then it seems more manageable and a heap less scarey.
A Happy and productive year to you
Chrissy
Ditto to that Chrissy - my OH did not want to come back to the UK AT ALL but 16 months down the line he is happy and settled here (although unlike yours he would deffo go back to Perth given the chance!) - as for guilt - well that's just all part of being a Mum I think - whatever we do we feel a certain amount of guilt - are we doing the right thing for the kids etc etc. but at some point we must think about ourselves and our needs.

Me and the OH had many many arguments about the whole Perth/UK thing but it all came good in the end.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pommybird
Ditto to that Chrissy - my OH did not want to come back to the UK AT ALL but 16 months down the line he is happy and settled here (although unlike yours he would deffo go back to Perth given the chance!) - as for guilt - well that's just all part of being a Mum I think - whatever we do we feel a certain amount of guilt - are we doing the right thing for the kids etc etc. but at some point we must think about ourselves and our needs.

Me and the OH had many many arguments about the whole Perth/UK thing but it all came good in the end.

I reckon my OH, at this point, will just go along with anything for a quiet life! He's as sick to death of the rowing as I am.

It's just for the first time in our marriage, we want completely different things and it's so hard to even talk calmly about it.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

gsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nice

Originally Posted by pommybird
Tracey - How do you know crime, muggings etc are more prolific in the UK? What can I say that I haven't said before - it's all just a load of media garabage!

I must admit one of the main reasons we moved to Perth in the first place was because we felt our kids would have a better life out there - we were worried about drugs, anti social beahviour, the stressed out education system etc. all not being perfect enough in the UK for our little darlings!

Once out in Oz I realised what a crock of sh*t it all was - life for them was no better in Oz - and in fact I felt they missed out big time not having family around and I was not impressed with the education system at all! I also realised their lives in the UK had been pretty damn good but I had just let the media rule my head and was totally taken in by all the crap constantly in the papers and on the telly (GMTV in particular!)

Like everyone says you've got to pick your areas in the UK but isn't the same true in Perth! I know there are some places I would not have stepped foot in in Perth!

We have been home for 16 months now and my kids are happier than ever - they are both loving and thriving in school, they play outside most days - if it's cold they wrap up - we spend days on the beach, at the park, in the New Forest - to say kids don't play outside 'cos of the dangers from weirdos is just bloody ridiculous (not having a go at you but whoever has told you this!). And when it is cold we can cosy up in the evening with the central heating on full blast and watch some decent telly!

But more than all that the kids have cousins, grandparents and uncles that love them very much and can be part of their lives as they grow up.

I know you've been deliberating for a while now and at then end of the day only you and you OH can make the decision but please don't let all this 'nonsense' about the UK put you off - 'cos that's what it is - complete nonsense!

Anyway best of luck with the decision making - it'll all come good you'll see!
Hi Pommybird!!
What a lovely post. You made me laugh about 'if its cold whack the central heating on and watch some decent tv', then you made me cry about the kids growing up with their grandparents, cousins etc...
We explained that to my mother in law over the phone, people in oz dont go out, they stay in watch crap tv or play x box and put the air conditioning on. In england you do the same but put the central heating on!!!!!
The surburbs in oz are so quite you hardly ever see any children out playing!!! And so many take aways and dare I say it fat kids!!!!!
What happened to the outdoor living etc... We spent more time outdoors in england, wrapping up going to parks etc....
For example: xmas day, 25 people huge bar-be, cooked meats outside, then took them inside with air conditioning on to eat!!! (not to mention the flies!!)
Lorraine
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone...it's been brilliant reading everyone's messages & realising that life back in the UK isn't as bad as we read about. I never made the 'decision' to move to Oz...I went on a backpacking holiday about 23 years ago. Married (Pom) who then got the big C, everyone kept telling us that the treatment would be much better here in Oz (& I think it probably was to be honest). So here we are, kids nearly 15 & 13 and I spend most days in tears wanting to be back in the UK. Wish I'd done it a couple of years ago...much easier to move the kids and hubby is nearly 48 and with a world economic 'downturn' on the way, it's all a bit of a worry. I have to agree with the unfortunately departed 'Scooby' that even though we have some lovely friends here, it's been hard work and I miss the banter and 'real' friendships. The supperficiality drives me mad. We went to the fireworks on the Harbour with friends - who then sat by themselves and wouldn't budge to chat with us!!!!! (Too much effort to shift the esky!) My nightmare is that my kids go off to uni, settle here and I'm left to retire here in Sydney with no interests - I don't like the beach or heat and prefer history, country walks and bellringing! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our kids had a day at a reasonable school in the UK in June and found the academic level around 1 to 2 years below what they get here (they are at very good schools here). Can anyone suggest an area of Britain that's not too inaffordable for housing, isn't crime ridden and close to major cities for jobs...yes, I know, if there was a perfect recipe for this, everyone would be there - but I'd be grateful for suggestions. Already someone mentioned St Albans. We're originally from a nice part, near Birmingham but would prefer to be a bit further out from Brum. Have loved everyone's comments and wish you were all our neighbours...wouldn't have to move then!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 1:22 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezzie
Can anyone suggest an area of Britain that's not too inaffordable for housing, isn't crime ridden and close to major cities for jobs...yes, I know, if there was a perfect recipe for this, everyone would be there - but I'd be grateful for suggestions. Already someone mentioned St Albans. We're originally from a nice part, near Birmingham but would prefer to be a bit further out from Brum. Have loved everyone's comments and wish you were all our neighbours...wouldn't have to move then!

Hiya...we originally come from near Brum...Bromsgrove to be exact. The house prices there aren't too bad, about 225k plus for a 4 bed detached. If you stick south Bromsgrove the high school there is pretty good. My niece came out with some decent A levels. It's close enough away from Brum not to be close if you get my drift.

Alternatively, you could head for mid Devon villages. Affordable (250k plus, four bed det) and fab high school in Uffculme. SATS results as high as private schools! Close to Exeter and Plymouth. Cullompton is closest town, then Tiverton a bit further on. Both decent places.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 1:48 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I just want to wish everyone who is going through turmoil and those of you who have gone through it and come out at the end successfully,............

'A VERY HAPPY, HEALTHY, DECISIVE, FRIGGING NEW YEAR'.

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:11 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
I just want to wish everyone who is going through turmoil and those of you who have gone through it and come out at the end successfully,............

'A VERY HAPPY, HEALTHY, DECISIVE, FRIGGING NEW YEAR'.

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/2125/meeeepx3.gif
Happy New Year, Sweetheart.

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tracey,
Prices aren't too bad "225K" Yikes!

I think we'd get around 250K if we're lucky for our place in Sydney - which has 6 bedrooms, swimming pool, backs onto creek etc. I presume the 225K would get us a small 3 bed semi-detached?

I shall check out the places you mention. Pretty hard to plan anything without knowing the places hubby could get a job though. Ideally, I love Wiltshire and Dorset but would probably be better off nearish Brum as most family & friends are there...mind you, so are the in-laws which is reason enough to steer clear!!!!

In the doldrums today and just keep crying at people...miss the Pommy banter and country walks so badly. But then there's so much that's better here...not even talking about the weather. I can't believe I'm saying this but I think Local and National gov't's just function better in Oz than the UK...I'm still recovering from finding pay & display parking 'everywhere' in England...even in the middle of nowhere, it seems you can't pass wind without being clamped and fined (my husband would stand no chance!)

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Hiya...we originally come from near Brum...Bromsgrove to be exact. The house prices there aren't too bad, about 225k plus for a 4 bed detached. If you stick south Bromsgrove the high school there is pretty good. My niece came out with some decent A levels. It's close enough away from Brum not to be close if you get my drift.

Alternatively, you could head for mid Devon villages. Affordable (250k plus, four bed det) and fab high school in Uffculme. SATS results as high as private schools! Close to Exeter and Plymouth. Cullompton is closest town, then Tiverton a bit further on. Both decent places.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice

Thanks Tracey,
Prices aren't too bad "225K" Yikes!

I think we'd get around 250K if we're lucky for our place in Sydney - which has 6 bedrooms, swimming pool, backs onto creek etc. I presume the 225K would get us a small 3 bed semi-detached?

I shall check out the places you mention. Pretty hard to plan anything without knowing the places hubby could get a job though. Ideally, I love Wiltshire and Dorset but would probably be better off nearish Brum as most family & friends are there...mind you, so are the in-laws which is reason enough to steer clear!!!!

In the doldrums today and just keep crying at people...miss the Pommy banter and country walks so badly. But then there's so much that's better here...not even talking about the weather. I can't believe I'm saying this but I think Local and National gov't's just function better in Oz than the UK...I'm still recovering from finding pay & display parking 'everywhere' in England...even in the middle of nowhere, it seems you can't pass wind without being clamped and fined (my husband would stand no chance!)

Agreed- even though Sydney is expensive, I also find service here better than the UK. Even at a dingy bar they still give you a bowl for your crisps and even the hardest pubs in Sydney are still ten times better than some of the hardest ones in the UK. At least the ones here ackonwledge that there will be trouble and hence have proper security along with body searches.

Delivery here is also much better- we had stuff delivered the next day (Sunday) from IKEA at the same price as the week. In UK we would have had to wait 3 years till the next waning of a blue moon for that service. Agreed on the parking too- I hate being ripped off or fined to park for a few minutes.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 3:18 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Are you guys for real...............talk about trivialities...
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Smile Re: Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Yes, and isn't it wonderful to have a forum like this where we can unload the trivialities of life that sometimes get our goat. I'm actually feeling positive for the first time today just being able to chat freely to all of you about the UK. Really has been lovely...thanks guys!

Originally Posted by Elvira
Are you guys for real...............talk about trivialities...
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 3:59 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Happy New Year, Sweetheart.

...and the same to you Elvira. Enjoy your trip back.

I agree with Elvira, some things that have been said are only trivialities and you may find that some of these things have changed for the better if you go back. I know I did on our last trip home. As for paying to park your car, that's a local tax and I have found Australia to be the tax capital. Tax on second hand cars, FID is a tax, tax on childrens books, school text books etc. much higher income tax, so come on people, it's swing and roundabouts.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Was back in the UK in June, that's how I discovered how expensive things have become. Parking fees and clamping seem to be in the UK news a lot so it seems I'm not the only one irked by it. One person's trivia may be important to others...and helpful to know that others feel the same, so please, let us 'de-burden' in peace. Live & Let Live and all that.

I agree with Elvira, some things that have been said are only trivialities and you may find that some of these things have changed for the better if you go back. I know I did on our last trip home. As for paying to park your car, that's a local tax and I have found Australia to be the tax capital. Tax on second hand cars, FID is a tax, tax on childrens books, school text books etc. much higher income tax, so come on people, it's swing and roundabouts.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 4:22 am
'In limboland'

Was back in the UK in June, that's how I discovered how expensive things have become. Parking fees and clamping seem to be in the UK news a lot so it seems I'm not the only one irked by it. One person's trivia may be important to others...and helpful to know that others feel the same, so please, let us 'de-burden' in peace. Live & Let Live and all that.
Ezzie, I wasn't having a go at you, I was saying that if you really want to go home, then parking fees and clamping would be the last of your worries.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice

Fair enough, although i go back every three months (sometimes 2) for work and holiday and last time I saw no change. My mates over there still complain about lack of service. They all maintain that it is just 'Rip off Britain' through and through. Most people carry on paying for things even though the service does not get better they don't know how much cheaper the rest of the world has some things (not all mind- some).

Public transport for instance only goes up and up yet you see no improvement in the service. Mind you Sydney is also a shambles hence why I run into work and back. This would only be feasible in the Uk for about 4 days a year.

Just a question ST georges girl- after all your negative thoughts of Perth, do you think it is just the isolation and heat of WA that gets you. Would you have been happier in Sydney or melbourne? Just a thought..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.