Broken Britain?

Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:47 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken Britain?

I agree, it is in no way deserved. I could post 20 links to bad news stories in this country and it would make Australia appear to be a third world hellhole. In reality though life here is as good as it is in England or indeed as bad. All our friends are excited about us coming back and none of them have expressed any concerns about the state of the nation.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Personally, no I don't think its warranted. I spend a couple of months each year in the UK at present and am in touch with friends and family across the country, none of whom are experiencing a country as bad as you make out it is. I see all the problems you mention there occurring here in Australia as well in equally small amounts. The western world has issues in every country but I really think you are in cloud cuckoo land if you believe the UK is as bad as you are painting it!
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:31 am
Banned

car eyelashes is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I can honestly say that after leaving the UK to live in Cape Town S.A. about 15 years ago and then moving on to Thailand for 8 years. (Bangkok and Phuket) I returned to the UK because my Dad died and Mum was in a bad way health wise some 7 years ago now....

I cannot believe the changes here now, it has got worse and worse every single year. The town centre where I live (Luton) is like some Eastern European town as you rarely hear anyone speaking English in the Town centre anymore... virtually everyone you hear talking is from Poland or Russia!

There are 1000's of Brits unemployed in our town alone and my husband has been really struggling to stay in business because of mainly Polish workers starting up similar businesses (Household removals) and employing very cheap Polish labour etc. and this is nationwide from what I hear from friends in Burnley, Maidenhead, Southampton and London...

Nobody I know has any savings, or are able to save anymore... the petrol prices in the UK are ridiculous (compared to the US and many other Countries) , the Gas and Electricity utility companies are milking us to death and all the government want to do create EVEN more taxes to pay for all the STUPID DECISIONS it makes constantly. These people in Government who make the decision to spend the budget money would be bankrupt within a year if they EVER tried to run a normal business. That is IF they could get one started in the first place...

This country in my personal opinion it finished and can only get far far worse than it is now... mainly because it is too late to reverse the immigration that has already taken place. With millions more pouring in every year.... True British people will cease to exist in about 20-30 years time.

I cannot wait to get away from this country now... and will do so as soon as I am able. Good luck to anyone wanting to return here... I cannot vent my anger enough to the controllers of (whichever government is perceived to be in power) People need to wake up and look at the bigger picture and see this is happening all over Europe and the USA.... There is a much more sinister plan unfolding for us all living the the country I used to love so much.

Angela
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:02 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Returnee
Yes, I have family and some friends in England and we keep in touch. As I mentioned somewhere before, they have their concerns about daily life, but of course they don't express it in a very critical way like on sites like this, or the way the news organizations report.
You also said, last time you were asked, that they were all personally doing fine. So in actual fact, your friends and relatives in the UK are living nice lives but have some concerns about society. Sounds like life everywhere following this massive recession (except Japan of course where no one has any concerns and life is perfect - as long as you don't mind breathing in all that radiation).

It does sound as though you discount real life stories in favor of media fear-mongering and honestly, if that's the case, you'll hate it back in Britain, because you'll be one of those people who is made miserable by what they read in the Daily Mail and doesn't even really notice that their real life is quite good. If at all possible, I'd stay where you are. I just don't see you being happy in the UK.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:04 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry things aren't working out for you Angela, it sounds like you have had a bad time. Lets not generalize though, I don't think that there are immigrants pouring into the UK by the "millions .... every year". and hopefully that isn't your only driving force to become a migrant yourself again.

Have you considered moving to someone else in the UK? Or are you planning on moving back to Thailand? If so we've got a great Thailand forum that I'm sure you will find useful, we've got loads of great members who post in there and I'm sure you will enjoy getting to know them.

Best of luck with everything.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:06 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by car eyelashes
Well I can honestly say that after leaving the UK to live in Cape Town S.A. about 15 years ago and then moving on to Thailand for 8 years. (Bangkok and Phuket) I returned to the UK because my Dad died and Mum was in a bad way health wise some 7 years ago now....

I cannot believe the changes here now, it has got worse and worse every single year. The town centre where I live (Luton) is like some Eastern European town as you rarely hear anyone speaking English in the Town centre anymore... virtually everyone you hear talking is from Poland or Russia!

There are 1000's of Brits unemployed in our town alone and my husband has been really struggling to stay in business because of mainly Polish workers starting up similar businesses (Household removals) and employing very cheap Polish labour etc. and this is nationwide from what I hear from friends in Burnley, Maidenhead, Southampton and London...

Nobody I know has any savings, or are able to save anymore... the petrol prices in the UK are ridiculous (compared to the US and many other Countries) , the Gas and Electricity utility companies are milking us to death and all the government want to do create EVEN more taxes to pay for all the STUPID DECISIONS it makes constantly. These people in Government who make the decision to spend the budget money would be bankrupt within a year if they EVER tried to run a normal business. That is IF they could get one started in the first place...

This country in my personal opinion it finished and can only get far far worse than it is now... mainly because it is too late to reverse the immigration that has already taken place. With millions more pouring in every year.... True British people will cease to exist in about 20-30 years time.

I cannot wait to get away from this country now... and will do so as soon as I am able. Good luck to anyone wanting to return here... I cannot vent my anger enough to the controllers of (whichever government is perceived to be in power) People need to wake up and look at the bigger picture and see this is happening all over Europe and the USA.... There is a much more sinister plan unfolding for us all living the the country I used to love so much.

Angela
Bye bye....please don't slam the door on the way out
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:11 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Angela
I can't think of many places I would sooner NOT live than Thailand.....horrible, horrible place.

Corruption everywhere, abject poverty and misery, child prostitution, the ever growing sex industry, human trafficking BUT wait I forgot..........it has nice beaches and sunshine.

http://www.mondaq.com/article.asp?articleid=127256

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/reader/reader291.html

http://gvnet.com/humantrafficking/Thailand.htm
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:30 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody I know has any savings, or are able to save anymore... the petrol prices in the UK are ridiculous (compared to the US and many other Countries) , the Gas and Electricity utility companies are milking us to death and all the government want to do create EVEN more taxes to pay for all the STUPID DECISIONS it makes constantly.
I'm not even going to address the anti-immigrant stuff, but the part above made me smile. Try paying property taxes that are 6 times the UK's highest council tax, and spending $1,400 every month for insurance to cover healthcare* that Brits take for granted. Try getting monthly gas and electric bills that equal what most people in the UK pay for a year. Yes, my taxes here in the US are a little lower than taxes in the UK, but my overall costs will go way down when I move.

*And please don't try to tell me that the NHS sucks because they're currently treating my 95-year old gran and I can't say enough good things about the amazing care she's received over the last few years. It blows my mind actually.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:42 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends on where you are coming from. I am viewing Britain from a Japanese perspective. Public safety, courtesy, service and efficiency are not broken here. I have never experienced the street riots that occured in London recently by what seems like an angry, frustrated British youth. I have no problems getting public health or dental services. Haven't heard of any horror stories regarding elderly care, like in Britain. Garbage is collected twice a week without any problems. Utility charges do not shoot up the way they do in Britain by greedy utility companies. I could go on, but I will leave it there for now. I guess those who are saying my brain is broken may have something to say.
I wouldn't return to Britain if I were you. The fortnightly garbage collection is clearly the major factor of what is now 'broken Britain!'
We now live in NS, and our garbage gets collected fortnightly. After suffering a few instances where our bins were being knocked over and rubbish was being spilled out across our drive by racoons and other animals, we now keep them in the shed which gets really smelly during summer!
Our recycling gets taken weekly and our compost bin fortnightly.

We left the UK 4 years ago for the same reasons you are talking about. I soon realised though that nowhere is perfect and we sure have problems here in Canada.
Kids get hold of booze and drink at the local parks or in peoples basements. A few of my daughters friends (age 16 & under) are pregnant/ have been pregnant and aborted.
Drugs are fairly common here amongst teens and it's a task educating your kids to say no if they are offered any. Drug crime is massive with gang shootings in NS and throughout Canada.

Anyway, these are just a few of the problems we have here in sleepy Nova Scotia.

I went back to England for a couple of weeks during summer for the first time in 3 years. I went into central London and was surprised to see so many 'white' people. Surprised because I heard it had been over run with 'immigrants'.

I was surprised so many people were still in work, enjoying life, going on holidays, etc
Driving was actually OK and I didn't suffer any road rage and no-one driving on my bumper trying to get me to go faster.
People were friendly. I even had a chat with the lady at the Tesco check-out!

After the riots, hundreds of people came out and got together to clean up their towns. More people than actually did the rioting. The news didn't report on that. The Brits stick together in a crisis, they always did.

So, please go back and see for yourself what Britain is like instead of reading the depressing, one sided papers.

Sorry for the essay
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:03 pm
Banned

car eyelashes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Bye bye....please don't slam the door on the way out
and don't you forget to turn out the lights Grayling if you're the last one to leave.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I am thinking of moving back to the U.K. next year, mainly for financial reasons. But do so with some trepedation.
Which sort of suggests you're going to be better off in the UK. So perhaps things are not so great for everyone in Japan after all.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:30 pm
Banned

expatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really nice

Originally Posted by Grayling
How do we know if he is even in Japan?

This is a troll remember.....he could be anywhere
What is a troll? If it is someone that looks at the posts for something interesting and has their point of view on a thread, then we are all guilty of being a troll. If it is not, what a troll? I really don't know....
Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:32 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatdoris
What is a troll? If it is someone that looks at the posts for something interesting and has their point of view on a thread, then we are all guilty of being a troll. If it is not, what a troll? I really don't know....
Use Google, for goodness' sake:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:46 pm
Banned

expatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
Use Google, for goodness' sake:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
Oh I see, so someone that has a point of view and expresses it, particularly if there is emotion involved when it is about the place they were born , brought up and then see no future for themselves or perhaps their children are labelled trolls. It is a persons opinion, please don't beat them up publicly for it on this site, surely they are entitled to their opinion. It seems that there are plenty of bad places everywhere in this world, it is the posters view, it should be respected. I know there are some that believe that people are not entitled to a point of view, particularly when it does not agree with theirs. Give them a chance or they will not come back, they have an opinion too.
If you do not like it, ignore it! IMO!
Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:58 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatdoris
Oh I see, so someone that has a point of view and expresses it, particularly if there is emotion involved when it is about the place they were born , brought up and then see no future for themselves or perhaps their children are labelled trolls. It is a persons opinion, please don't beat them up publicly for it on this site, surely they are entitled to their opinion. It seems that there are plenty of bad places everywhere in this world, it is the posters view, it should be respected. I know there are some that believe that people are not entitled to a point of view, particularly when it does not agree with theirs. Give them a chance or they will not come back, they have an opinion too.
If you do not like it, ignore it! IMO!
Being a troll is more to do with a persistent pattern of posts than simply having an opinion that disagrees with the prevailing thoughts on a site.

I think that is why Returnee has been assigned that label by some people on the site (not me). I think particularly because people think he simply wants to yank their chain, he gets labelled with the "T-word". I have to say, I have tried to get into a rational discussion with him and failed to get a response, simply more of the same (posts of links) or a refusal to consider and discuss an alternative viewpoint or someone's actual experience of the UK (as opposed to the Daily Mail headlines).

Personally, I don't think he is a troll, he just has an opinion of the UK that he repeats like a mantra via media Web links. No substance or empirical or even anecdotal evidence.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

I am thinking of moving back to the U.K. next year, mainly for financial reasons. But do so with some trepedation.
What ?? You've been shoving the fact on us( In your opinion ) that Britain is a worthless wasteland in MULTIPLE threads and now you're telling us you're moving back for financial reasons ?

So we could assume a few things:

You've run in to financial hardship and are feeling forced to move back to the UK and resent that fact. That's unfortunate if that is the case.

or

You put money above everything else and all the shit going on in Britain isn't enough to put you off getting your hands on some more readies.

If it's the former move to some other European country , I hear Poland has plenty of affordable housing available - apparently the entire population lives in England now.

If it's the latter well.....

Last edited by Englishman43; Oct 17th 2011 at 7:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.