Broken Britain?

Old Oct 16th 2011, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all
Default Broken Britain?

The phrase Broken Britain is a phrase used to describe the social decay in Britain. Do you believe the phrase is warranted? If so what do you think has decayed or is contributing to the decay? The NHS; transportation, schooling, manners, binge drinking, youth unemployment, lack of sufficient public housing etc.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:27 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken Britain?

Originally Posted by Returnee
The phrase Broken Britain is a phrase used to describe the social decay in Britain. Do you believe the phrase is warranted? If so what do you think has decayed or is contributing to the decay? The NHS; transportation, schooling, manners, binge drinking, youth unemployment, lack of sufficient public housing etc.
What are you thoughts on this ... without of course just posting links to newspapers articles?

My thoughts are no, it is not broken. My family and friends are all doing ok, and are happy and content. During frequent trips to the UK I don't see any evidence that Britain is more, or less, broken than anywhere else. Every country has it's problems (many of the same issues as you have highlighted above are a problem here in the US) and there is no utopia. So one has to weigh up the pros and the cons applicable to their given situation prior to any international move; either away from the UK or back to it.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sue
What are you thoughts on this ... without of course just posting links to newspapers articles?

My thoughts are no, it is not broken. My family and friends are all doing ok, and are happy and content. During frequent trips to the UK I don't see any evidence that Britain is more, or less, broken than anywhere else. Every country has it's problems (many of the same issues as you have highlighted above are a problem here in the US) and there is no utopia. So one has to weigh up the pros and the cons applicable to their given situation prior to any international move; either away from the UK or back to it.
I guess it depends on where you are coming from. I am viewing Britain from a Japanese perspective. Public safety, courtesy, service and efficiency are not broken here. I have never experienced the street riots that occured in London recently by what seems like an angry, frustrated British youth. I have no problems getting public health or dental services. Haven't heard of any horror stories regarding elderly care, like in Britain. Garbage is collected twice a week without any problems. Utility charges do not shoot up the way they do in Britain by greedy utility companies. I could go on, but I will leave it there for now. I guess those who are saying my brain is broken may have something to say.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:16 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends on where you are coming from. I am viewing Britain from a Japanese perspective. Public safety, courtesy, service and efficiency are not broken here. I have never experienced the street riots that occured in London recently by what seems like an angry, frustrated British youth. I have no problems getting public health or dental services. Haven't heard of any horror stories regarding elderly care, like in Britain. Garbage is collected twice a week without any problems. Utility charges do not shoot up the way they do in Britain by greedy utility companies. I could go on, but I will leave it there for now. I guess those who are saying my brain is broken may have something to say.
Well you make some valid points, I think it does depend greatly on where one is living now. I've never been to Japan but from what little I know about it then I can imagine that it is a great deal different from the UK, both culturally and economically.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:29 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

I know many of you do not like articles that appear in the Daily Mail, but one cannot escape from the truth by condeming a newspaper:

'Family life is being devastated by the financial squeeze and job insecurity, a survey reveals. More than half of parents believe their home is in ‘crisis’ while three out of four feel that stress is undermining their family’s happiness.
The research paints a grim picture of the state of the Britain's households, and many of the problems are put down to a lack of money.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1azgFTP2X
Your really do need to consider the source though, the Daily Fail isn't the best place to read balanced news articles.

Again the line "Family life is being devastated by the financial squeeze and job insecurity" could apply to many, many countries at this present time. We are suffering a global economic downturn, not just a UK one. One example; look at what's going on with Greece http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15146324
Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue
Your really do need to consider the source though, the Daily Fail isn't the best place to read balanced news articles.

Again the line "Family life is being devastated by the financial squeeze and job insecurity" could apply to many, many countries at this present time. We are suffering a global economic downturn, not just a UK one. One example; look at what's going on with Greece http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15146324
Yes, you are right, but don't you think that some people are wearing rose-tinted glasses and perhaps believe leaving the country they are in to return to Britain, see Britain as a green and pleasant land? As I mentioned in another thread, it could be like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. I agree that the Daily Mail may be somewhat sensational, but the facts in the stories speak for themselves:
'By far the biggest reason given for problems at home in Britain is financial pressure (67 per cent) with the damage caused by the credit crunch and recession clearly taking a heavy toll on the family. Long working hours were cited by 37 per cent of those questioned as being a cause of trouble at home, while one in four were under stress from the fear of losing their job.'
Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:43 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you just stay in Japan if it's so perfect?

Problem solved.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:46 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Why don't you just stay in Japan if it's so perfect?

Problem solved.
How do we know if he is even in Japan?

This is a troll remember.....he could be anywhere
Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:54 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Grayling

Lets not label someone a troll just because they have differing views to us.

We aren't in Japan, and I'd imagine its' issues may be different to those in the UK.

However Returnee, for a fourth time of asking, could you indulge us and tell us are you planning on moving back to the UK, because you still haven't answered that question? I think your answer may make all the difference to how you are perhaps being perceived here.

Are you:
1. Thinking about moving back?
2. In early stages of moving back?
3. Definitely moving back?

Because if you are at number 1, then I can understand you wishing to alleviate any apprehension you may have ... but one needs to close the pages Daily Mail for a bit, and look further afar for info and experiences.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

So sure this idiot gets his/her jollies by trying to ruffle feathers........don't get sucked in.....probably lives unhappily in the UK. Too bad......we know better.......
Old Oct 17th 2011, 2:51 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Sue I totally agree but in this case we all see him as a troll because that is clearly what he is. He keeps telling us he wants to hear opinions but never gives us his and just bombards the forum with DM sensationalist headlines. How many times have asked him if he plans to return to the UK ?
He has no interest in debating any subject and it seems he is here purely to try and put doubt into people's minds about returning home seemingly for his own sick pleasure.
There was another of his ilk 'Been There' who thankfully was banned and has moved onto another forum to spew his poison. Sorry to say but Returnee is no better.

Originally Posted by Sue

Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue

We aren't in Japan, and I'd imagine its' issues may be different to those in the UK.

However Returnee, for a fourth time of asking, could you indulge us and tell us are you planning on moving back to the UK, because you still haven't answered that question? I think your answer may make all the difference to how you are perhaps being perceived here.

Are you:
1. Thinking about moving back?
2. In early stages of moving back?
3. Definitely moving back?

Because if you are at number 1, then I can understand you wishing to alleviate any apprehension you may have ... but one needs to close the pages Daily Mail for a bit, and look further afar for info and experiences.
I am thinking of moving back to the U.K. next year, mainly for financial reasons. But do so with some trepedation.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, no I don't think its warranted. I spend a couple of months each year in the UK at present and am in touch with friends and family across the country, none of whom are experiencing a country as bad as you make out it is. I see all the problems you mention there occurring here in Australia as well in equally small amounts. The western world has issues in every country but I really think you are in cloud cuckoo land if you believe the UK is as bad as you are painting it!
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I am thinking of moving back to the U.K. next year, mainly for financial reasons. But do so with some trepedation.
Thanksfor clarifying that
Do you not have friends and family there who could give you a range if views on life there at present? Might be better than relying on a small part of the tablod press?
Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thanksfor clarifying that
Do you not have friends and family there who could give you a range if views on life there at present? Might be better than relying on a small part of the tablod press?
Yes, I have family and some friends in England and we keep in touch. As I mentioned somewhere before, they have their concerns about daily life, but of course they don't express it in a very critical way like on sites like this, or the way the news organizations report.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.