Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Old Sep 27th 2014, 12:29 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Downloading The Assets as I type.
Disappointed.

I had the whisky & 7up and dry roasted nuts all lined up for my Friday night viewing - perfect accompaniment for spy stuff or political thriller/intrigue - but I thought it was a bit soapy.

The standard of US TV has come up so much over the years - usually HBO or Showcase produced - that the Networks stuff doesn't really cut it for me any more.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

One man's cup of tea is another man's poison. I agree with you BristolUK - though I did like The Assets. I enjoyed The Blacklist as well but do agree with another definitely OTT. I don't get any of the premium channels so only can watch what my Roku gives me for free and Netflix. I did see a 'documentary" n Alan Turing. Shamed to say as a Brit I had never heard of him - shame on me! It has Ed Stoppard as Turing, then interspersed with folks who knew him - different but glad I saw it. When they said it had music I thought oh chuffin' heck it's gonna be like that Dennis Potter show from way back I couldn't bl**dy stand! It's called The Codebreaker. He did much for England in many ways especially during the World War II but we did not repay him in kind due to his homosexuality. I understand the times but one can only imagine what he could have done to further the worlds of AI, botany, animal science. Never knew their was a mathematical approach to spots and stripes on animals. Amazing man now I want to read book on his short life.. End of..
Old Sep 28th 2014, 1:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
...oh chuffin' heck it's gonna be like that Dennis Potter show from way back I couldn't bl**dy stand!
Pennies from heaven? The Singing Detective? Lipstick on your collar?
Old Sep 28th 2014, 1:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sad to say that Scott and Bailey seems to have lost its way this series. Hardly any humour, or one liners...it was this that made the program great viewing IMO.

Cilla is picking up. SS is a much better singer than Cilla ever was.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 3:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sad to say that Scott and Bailey seems to have lost its way this series. Hardly any humour, or one liners...it was this that made the program great viewing IMO.

Cilla is picking up. SS is a much better singer than Cilla ever was.
SS comes from a musical family, often does a turn with her mum and dad's C&W act.

She was featured on Who Do You Think You Are? a short while back, tracked her dad's side back to her Great Grandfather, I think, fascinating. She is a very talented actress (and easy on the eyeballs).
Old Sep 28th 2014, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
SS comes from a musical family, often does a turn with her mum and dad's C&W act.

She was featured on Who Do You Think You Are? a short while back, tracked her dad's side back to her Great Grandfather, I think, fascinating. She is a very talented actress (and easy on the eyeballs).
She was pretty good in Mr. Biggs too.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
For the green thumbs, 2 new shows coming up:

Big Dreams, Small Spaces - Monty Don presents 10 small garden renos. BBC 2 late October. Time tbc.

Glorious Gardens From Above - Christine Walkden presents 15 part series on UK gardens and how they have influenced her career. Starts 6 Oct, weekdays @ 3.15 pm on BBC1.
Thanks for this!
Old Sep 28th 2014, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Funny, we feel that way about the last season of Lewis. Seems like completely new writers are on board. Think we will forgo the new series and watch the old ones again. Or better still, go back to Morse.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 5:36 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I binge-watched the three episodes of Cilla last night and enjoyed it. I learned a lot about her personal life and background that I didn't know, even though I grew up watching her on telly.

I already knew Sheridan Smith could sing, from her appearance on "Who Do You Think You Are?", but I thought her singing in Cilla was pretty amazing.

Cilla was presented as being pretty selfish throughout the series, which surprised me.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 6:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I binge-watched the three episodes of Cilla last night and enjoyed it. I learned a lot about her personal life and background that I didn't know, even though I grew up watching her on telly.

I already knew Sheridan Smith could sing, from her appearance on "Who Do You Think You Are?", but I thought her singing in Cilla was pretty amazing.

Cilla was presented as being pretty selfish throughout the series, which surprised me.
I too was surprised by that...especially the way she treated 'My Bobby'. I always thought she adored him right from the start.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Funny, we feel that way about the last season of Lewis. Seems like completely new writers are on board. Think we will forgo the new series and watch the old ones again. Or better still, go back to Morse.
Have to agree on both Lewis and Scott and Bailey. Found them both a bit boring this year and less than memorable.

Crimes of Passion has become one of my favourite shows. I really like the ambience of the show which is different than any of the other crime dramas and Christer's very easy on the eye (to put it mildly!). The actor (Ola Rapace) was married to the actress who played "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy.

And oddly, a show that I always thought would be boring... "The Great British Bake-Off"... I now find riveting!
Old Oct 7th 2014, 7:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by bandrui
Have to agree on both Lewis and Scott and Bailey. Found them both a bit boring this year and less than memorable.

Crimes of Passion has become one of my favourite shows. I really like the ambience of the show which is different than any of the other crime dramas and Christer's very easy on the eye (to put it mildly!). The actor (Ola Rapace) was married to the actress who played "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy.

And oddly, a show that I always thought would be boring... "The Great British Bake-Off"... I now find riveting!
This series of Scott and Baily seems to be going from bad to worse. I keep hoping it will pick up but so far it's going downhill fast.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 7:39 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
For the green thumbs, 2 new shows coming up:

Big Dreams, Small Spaces - Monty Don presents 10 small garden renos. BBC 2 late October. Time tbc.

Glorious Gardens From Above - Christine Walkden presents 15 part series on UK gardens and how they have influenced her career. Starts 6 Oct, weekdays @ 3.15 pm on BBC1.
I had been looking forward to seeing Glorious Gardens From Above this week, however, after much scouring of the Internet I have discovered that it has been rescheduled to being on Monday 3 Nov @ 3.15 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I had been looking forward to seeing Glorious Gardens From Above this week, however, after much scouring of the Internet I have discovered that it has been rescheduled to being on Monday 3 Nov @ 3.15 pm.
Thanks for the update
Old Oct 8th 2014, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

I've just been watching Grantchester and it was quite bizarre for me because I stayed with my friend at the edge of Grantchester this summer and the show started off at the same place beside the river where we walked, then he is cycling down the same road we walked down (past Jeffrey Archer's place!) and finally they are in the pub (The Green Man) where we stopped for lunch. Talk about deja vu.

It was not bad as a show, though not great... will reserve judgment until the next one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.