Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Arrived back in UK a week ago, everything seems crappy

Arrived back in UK a week ago, everything seems crappy

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Arrived back in UK a week ago, everything seems crappy

Originally Posted by dave99

I dont know, I am starting to think I dont belong in either place!, I am very confused and wish I had never come out to aus to start with to be honest.
I can empathize with you totally, sometimes I wish I'd stayed in the U.K, I don't feel I belong here and often think moving here added a bunch of stress and struggle to my life which I didn't need and totally bought on myself.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Well I did come back to Perth after the month in england. I have now spent the last few months working back at my previous job and now have got cheesed off with Perth again and I am thinking of going back to the UK!.

I have just got this feeling of not fitting in here, of being an outsider. Although I have some work friends who I get along with great they are not as close as uk friends who shared similiar backgrounds and theres always a bit of a disconnected feeling.

I get sick of being the english guy, the pom or even the bloody pom as I have heard sometimes.
I dont feel thrilled about the idea of going back to england really, although maybe if I didnt stay with family and tried a different area I might have more luck this time.

I dont know, I am starting to think I dont belong in either place!, I am very confused and wish I had never come out to aus to start with to be honest.
Yup, I agree, curse of the expat!

Perhaps sit down somewhere quiet and clear your mind, think about what you want your life to look like in 5 years, 10 years, 30 years and then work out how you can best get yourself there. If you see yourself settled down with a family, going to watch Spurs and having family holidays in Europe then perhaps Perth isnt going to be the place for you

My son has a saying though (snatched from John Lennon) - life is what happens to you when you are busy making plans - so even though you are working to achieve a goal that you set now, dont miss any brilliant opportunities that may come your way.

BTW, you can never go "back" - always think of it as moving forwards and your move can take you anywhere. Big advantage of UK is that you can move to somewhere new and wonderful in the country but still be within cooee of the important people in your life.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:53 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe people are looking for either place to be perfect which of course they aren't. It really comes down to exactly what you want from life, from a personal viewpoint the supposedly better weather for us isn't an issue but having said that there will be times when it is grey and wet that we will look back at the Brisbane weather as 'better' and miss it. I cant see that being enough to outweigh all the positives for US about being in the UK though.
We wouldn't be human if we didn't constantly compare and analyse but as Quoll says you have to sit down and think about where you will be and where you want to be in the future.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:49 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Well I did come back to Perth after the month in england. I have now spent the last few months working back at my previous job and now have got cheesed off with Perth again and I am thinking of going back to the UK!.

I have just got this feeling of not fitting in here, of being an outsider. Although I have some work friends who I get along with great they are not as close as uk friends who shared similiar backgrounds and theres always a bit of a disconnected feeling.

I get sick of being the english guy, the pom or even the bloody pom as I have heard sometimes.
I dont feel thrilled about the idea of going back to england really, although maybe if I didnt stay with family and tried a different area I might have more luck this time.

Ah yes the curse of the expat. Welcome to my world LOL!!

I think moving to a different area is a fantastic idea, try and move to somewhere nicer than you left.........that is what I did.

Do you know how many times in my life I wish I had never emigrated to Australia in the first place OR why couldn't I have just settled in and loved it like so many others do..............life (and my pocket) would have been so much easier.......
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Yup, I agree, curse of the expat!

Perhaps sit down somewhere quiet and clear your mind, think about what you want your life to look like in 5 years, 10 years, 30 years and then work out how you can best get yourself there. If you see yourself settled down with a family, going to watch Spurs and having family holidays in Europe then perhaps Perth isnt going to be the place for you

My son has a saying though (snatched from John Lennon) - life is what happens to you when you are busy making plans - so even though you are working to achieve a goal that you set now, dont miss any brilliant opportunities that may come your way.

BTW, you can never go "back" - always think of it as moving forwards and your move can take you anywhere. Big advantage of UK is that you can move to somewhere new and wonderful in the country but still be within cooee of the important people in your life.
So very true Quoll- we too wished we had never left the UK, but when you are young you think life goes on forever and then you wake up one morning in your 50's and think SH&T need to think about retirement, we too are planning to retire back in UK, not keen on snow shovelling and really cold temps in Canada!
Old Jul 24th 2011, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quoll
Big advantage of UK is that you can move to somewhere new and wonderful in the country but still be within cooee of the important people in your life.
100% agree - this is a biggie. Something we really didn't appreciate. Looking forward to moving back & getting that balance. Not just for us but for our kids.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sunshine111
100% agree - this is a biggie. Something we really didn't appreciate. Looking forward to moving back & getting that balance. Not just for us but for our kids.
Good for you !!!!
We book our flights tomorrow
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Cumbrian lass, wow when are you leaving?
I am moving back to Leicester my elderly mum is there and I have family there and in Derbyshire, and Sussex, but for the time being I will be in Leicester.
5 weeks from now I will be home.........phew dont quite know how i am going to do it but I must, for me, I am leaving my family here
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

We are leaving in 3 weeks. Not quite sure where we are going when we get back.LOL! but we have family in Cumbria and we will use that as a base until we find an area we want to live in.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jbrown
Actually, Leicester has changed dramatically over the last five years or so, with a lot of investment in the town center. I'm surprised you can't see the difference. I visit quite regularly, as my g/f's family live there.
When I was working down in London about a year or so ago I met a guy of about 50 or so who came from Leicester (working in my department) and he told me about the days when the buses there had conductors on board as well as the drivers and when this particular bus was pulling into a stop this conductor yelled out: "Anybody for the Khyber Pass?" That has to be in the non-PC days before the Race Relations Act came into force.

Last edited by Lothianlad; Jul 24th 2011 at 3:13 pm.