Another Scottish island

Old Jul 11th 2018, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Scottish island

Originally Posted by scot47
I cannot help but observe the huge numbers of English colonists in places like Skye and Galloway. As Brexit closes doors to Europe, more are coming to live in Scotland, using their inflated equity on properties in the Deep South. "Sell your cardboard box and buy a castle from the Jocks."
Yes - that is what my sister said - she says it's pushing house prices up (especially in the the Scottish Highlands). A lot of the buyers from England are buying second homes to use at the weekend/vacations, etc. Unfortunately this makes the house prices out of reach for a lot of younger people.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Incomers - especially non-Gaelic speakers - are not universally welcomed.
Old Aug 25th 2018, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

And every time i go shopping here i hear more voices from the Deep South. Migrants from England will soon out-number locals.
Old Oct 7th 2018, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And something that is not mentioned in polite circles is that a factor in this migration TO Scotland from some areas of England is "White Flight". In many cases the migrants bring with them their Powellite ideas about ethnicity and migration.
There - I have said it
Old Oct 7th 2018, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

And something that is not mentioned in polite circles is that a factor in this migration TO Scotland from some areas of England is "White Flight". In many cases the migrants bring with them their Powellite ideas about ethnicity and migration.
There - I have said it
Yes - I can well believe that. The Brexit referendum speaks to that - majority in England voted for Brexit (partly due to immigration - although I realize there were other reasons). Whereas Scotland and Northern Ireland voted to remain.
Old Oct 7th 2018, 9:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

There - I have said it
That's probably an exaggeration. Such people could just as easily find less diverse communities in the Devon etc..
Old Oct 8th 2018, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Some of them probably settle in those areas. "Grockles" etc English-speakers in Welsh-speaking Wales. etc
Old Oct 9th 2018, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

For those brave souls interested in the more rural parts of the Scottish West, try this -
https://www.homeargyll.co.uk/content...rooms=1&town=0
Old Oct 12th 2018, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

There - I have said it
Do you have any evidence for that assertion, Scot? ‘Many cases’ ?
Old Oct 12th 2018, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I do not count them and I cannot produce numbers, but I hear many expressions of Powellite ideas from resident "Soothmoothers" here.

Last edited by scot47; Oct 12th 2018 at 3:16 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2018, 8:18 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I do not count them and I cannot produce numbers, but I hear many expressions of Powellite ideas from resident "Soothmoothers" here.
I'm sure many Scots entertain similar ideas, whether they voice them or not. It's rather easy not to complain about foreigners when there are so few around, and for some of the ''Soothmoothers' they must have simply voted with their feet. Though I suppose there is an irony in that by going to Scotland, they themselves are seen as foreigners by many of their neighbours.
Old Oct 13th 2018, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Like the Anglos in Spain who supported Brexit because "England is full of foreigners" ?

And Yes many Scots have xenophobic and racist opinions. The common myth that we are somehow more tolerant than our Southern neighbours is just that - a myth.
Old Oct 14th 2018, 10:08 am
Yo

Like the Anglos in Spain who supported Brexit because "England is full of foreigners" ?
I don't think there many of those, but it's certainly a hypocritical position to take.

I reality I think it's only in the big cities where there is a social harmony. London, Glasgow, Birmingham etc..
Old Apr 20th 2019, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Certainly there is a huge contrast between the Scottish cities and small-town Scotland. The cities are fairly cosmopoliytan and multi-eythnic. Samll towns and rural areas less so..

I do my bit by usiung the Syrian Pastry-shop on Bute recently opened. Helmi's is the name. Google it !
Old Apr 20th 2019, 10:50 pm
Yo

Certainly there is a huge contrast between the Scottish cities and small-town Scotland. The cities are fairly cosmopoliytan and multi-eythnic. Samll towns and rural areas less so..

I do my bit by usiung the Syrian Pastry-shop on Bute recently opened. Helmi's is the name. Google it !
Just have. A genuine patisserie in Rothesay.. what's the world coming to !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.