Another Scottish island

Old Oct 21st 2019, 2:26 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Scottish island

Originally Posted by scot47
Yes
I am a great man for the jazz, esp Django-style
Never heard of Django style.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Django Reinhardt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_Reinhardt

A great guitarist from the middle of the last century
Old Dec 8th 2019, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

This week the weather conspired to prevent me getting to the neighbouring island of Great Britain. High winds. I hope they managed without me. Will try again next week.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 7:40 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

This week the weather conspired to prevent me getting to the neighbouring island of Great Britain. High winds. I hope they managed without me. Will try again next week.
Aren't you already in greater Britain? I think it's high winds this week too.

BTW, do you use Instagram? The reason I ask is that there's someone on there (an Italian) posting the marvellous photos of Skye, Islay, Jura etc, capturing the changing light and views. You might enjoy these photos. I can post the IG name if you wish.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Instagram is not one of my skills. I have enough with this site and Facebook !

I am on Bute., Great Britain is a neighbouring island.

Legend is that one of the mnisnisters used to say in his semon "We bessech your aid an mercy, for the inhabitants of Bute and for the neighbouring islands of Arran, Cumbrae, Ireland and Britain"

Apocryphal ?

Last edited by scot47; Dec 8th 2019 at 8:15 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 10:54 pm
Yo

Instagram is not one of my skills. I have enough with this site and Facebook !
I am on Bute., Great Britain is a neighbouring island.

Legend is that one of the mnisnisters used to say in his semon "We bessech your aid an mercy, for the inhabitants of Bute and for the neighbouring islands of Arran, Cumbrae, Ireland and Britain"

Apocryphal ?
Isn't Great Britain all the islands except Ireland (which falls under British Isles) and Britain simply the main island ?

Instagram is mainly a photos site. It's owned by Facebook now, so probably easy to log in if you want more digital grief. I avoid FB like the plague, myself, despite a few protestations in the past to join !
Old Dec 9th 2019, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So what name should we use for "The Mainland" to distinguish it from the other islands in The Archipelago ?
Old Dec 15th 2019, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not all of Scotland is touristy and glam. When I take the train to Glasgow from Wemyss Bay I go through Port Glasgow -

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...iw=843&bih=593
Old Dec 21st 2019, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://www.1843magazine.com/feature...ykuH2iXAYCRO8M

Some locals (Scottish and Syrian) are offended by inaccuracies and by the tone of the article, which is "Oxford sneers at Prinitive Scottish Island".
Old Dec 21st 2019, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.1843magazine.com/feature...ykuH2iXAYCRO8M

Some locals (Scottish and Syrian) are offended by inaccuracies and by the tone of the article, which is "Oxford sneers at Prinitive Scottish Island".
Knowing nothing about Bute I thought it was quite interesting.
Old Dec 21st 2019, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

One of our problems is that Oxbridge intellectuals depict us in ways that we would not portray ourselves. Why does "The Economist" not get a Scottish journalist or writer to tell the story ?
Old Dec 28th 2019, 7:44 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

One of our problems is that Oxbridge intellectuals depict us in ways that we would not portray ourselves. Why does "The Economist" not get a Scottish journalist or writer to tell the story ?
I didn't read much of the story but the author 'hails from Bute'.
Old Dec 28th 2019, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

She CLAIMS to hail from Bute. After the publication of the story there was much discussion on the island about who the writer might be. Conclusion is that her claim to originate from Bute is false.
Old Dec 28th 2019, 11:25 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

She CLAIMS to hail from Bute. After the publication of the story there was much discussion on the island about who the writer might be. Conclusion is that her claim to originate from Bute is false.
Ah okay. This is her twitter profile - https://twitter.com/EmmaIrving - and she repeats the claim. Also, this is possibly her LinkedIn profile - https://www.linkedin.com/in/emma-irv...alSubdomain=uk - clearer picture so maybe she's recognisable.
Old Dec 29th 2019, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A metropolitan journalist and alien to the island. Not sympathetic either ! We do not always take kindly to visitors who feel they are better than us !

Last edited by scot47; Dec 29th 2019 at 5:36 am.