An American view.

Old Sep 15th 2014, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An American view.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Can't remember the thread the posts are in...sorry. The search function is dysfunctional and I can't see posts made after 3 Sept.
It seems unusual to have an inflammatory thread opened with built-in moderator protection.

However, no big deal.

British people can take criticism without starting a war.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 10:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It seems unusual to have an inflammatory thread opened with built-in moderator protection.

However, no big deal.

British people can take criticism without starting a war.
All I'm asking is that replies are civil.

Yes we can.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London1947

Government
*The benefit system has enabled people to abuse it. Why are benefits unending?
The benefit system in the US is also abused, FEMA fraud, WIC, food stamps, subsidized child care etc. The UK government are trying to address welfare expenditure, but it's much easier to give than to take back. I'd like to see the differential between what people receive for working be much greater than what people receive for not working.

*Education is inadequate for today's society. No child should be out on the street at age 15 or even 16.
I get quite annoyed at how the education in the US and the UK has been dumbed down over the years. More vocational training is needed. I have no problem with kids being out on the street so long as they are not breaking the law, but the problems are the same in both countries where parental control/care/involvement is lacking.

*20% VAT is absurdly high. There should be more of a sliding scale for different goods and services as well as geographic location. Obviously, people in the South West do not earn what those in London earn.
As others have mentioned, social care and welfare needs to be paid for, hence higher taxation. Forget sliding scales and complexity, there's enough tax codes, in both countries, as it is. I'm a big fan of the Fairtax.

*Too lenient punishment for crime. Everyone seems to get suspended sentences or insufficient prison terms, even for murder.
A bit of hyperbole there. . But yes, there does seem as though there is some undue leniency in the UK courts. Mind you, I think the US system goes to the other extreme in being way too harsh not only in punishment, but also by the lack of rehabilitation.

*It seems to take forever for the police to respond to calls, especially to non-999 calls. And why do we, the public, have to pay to call the police for disturbance of the peace or ASBO situations?
I do think the deployment of police to situations has, for some time, been inadequate. Lack of resources, funding, poor management or a combination of all three. Who knows?

*The infrastructure is antiquated. Examples: pay as you go electric meters, not all properties have water meters.
It's not so much that the infrastructure is antiquated, it's under too much pressure and can't cope with the demand. PAYG electric meters are useful for the lower paid, they'd be more useful if the poor weren't charged premium rates for using them.

*Why do we have to pay for a license to watch TV?
Advert free, and you're not just paying for the TV programs.

I'll have a go at responding to the rest of your post later.

Thanks for posting.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 11:59 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I am an American, born and bred in New York, Boston and Washington, DC. I married a Brit and we relocated to the South West. Since moving to the UK two years ago, I have come to a sort of annoyed tolerance of the following issues, but no Briton should have to put up with these things:

Government
*The benefit system has enabled people to abuse it. Why are benefits unending?

I would rather have the benefits system and have a minority abuse it than a government that does not look after it's country.....and it is a minority. You obviously poor quality newspapers.

*Education is inadequate for today's society. No child should be out on the street at age 15 or even 16.

Factually wrong!

*20% VAT is absurdly high. There should be more of a sliding scale for different goods and services as well as geographic location. Obviously, people in the South West do not earn what those in London earn.

Why?

*Too lenient punishment for crime. Everyone seems to get suspended sentences or insufficient prison terms, even for murder.

Evidence?

*It seems to take forever for the police to respond to calls, especially to non-999 calls. And why do we, the public, have to pay to call the police for disturbance of the peace or ASBO situations?

Where on earth do you live? I have no experience of either myself, family or friends needing to do this.

*The infrastructure is antiquated. Examples: pay as you go electric meters, not all properties have water meters.

For bigger families, it's better not to have a water meter- cheaper. If you're not a bigger family, ring the water board and they will fit it. No exoerience of pay as you go electric meters ever.

*Why do we have to pay for a license to watch TV?

Because I would much prefer to watch a well made hr long programme without adverts. I think the license fee is cheap actually for what you get.

Society
*Everything is so expensive, from energy/utilities and petrol to necessary commodities of groceries and clothing.

No different to any first world country.

*Morality seems to have gone to hell in a hand basket. People have children to be able to collect benefits (see above); no one seems to be aware of birth control; parental oversight is lacking. Where are all the fathers of the children of single mothers?

Daily Fail again, or Jeremy Kyle. Pointless answering. Read better quality newspapers.

*Alcohol consumption is out of control. The drinking age is too young and and they seem to apply no limits.

I would argue that alcohol consumption is out of control in lots of country. You only need to compare diseases related to alcohol consumption. France, Germany, Italy, America, Canada....shall I go on?

*Why do renters have to buy their own appliances? They should be furnished by the landlord.

Err why?

*Everything takes longer than necessary. In the South West, there seems to be a 6 - 8 week wait for everything.

For what?

*There is very little customer service in the country as a whole. Why do I have to pay to call a company whose services I have paid for and am unhappy with? Where are the toll-free numbers? And when you do actually call with a problem, they always talk over you to make you feel as though you are totally insignificant.

*People are basically pigs here. They always seem to expect others to clean up their mess, whether it's at McDonald's or on the village green.

*Anti-social behavior is rampant, whether it's spitting on the street, public urinating, or disturbing the peace.

Answered these two together. Again, I would move cause it's sounds like you're living in squallor. These areas are not unique to the UK. They can be found in any country around the world.

The positives
*The weather is not as extreme as in the US

Note: These are my wife's views and I fully concur.
I wish you every luck with your move back to HappyLand.....and then you can start singing "Everything is Awesome".....

Last edited by Tirytory; Sep 16th 2014 at 12:02 am.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:10 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

*Everything takes longer than necessary. In the South West, there seems to be a 6 - 8 week wait for everything.
That's a cultural thing. People do things "directly" down that way. It's a slower pace of life. For example a Londoner moving to Devon would hate how slow things are, and how long it takes to get things done, whilst a Devonian moving to London, would find the pace of life to way too fast. I would equate it to the difference between NYC life, and life in say NC.

Sometimes moving counties (or states) makes a big difference to how things are done on many levels.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

By reading their earlier posts, the poster returned to the UK after nearly 30 years away. As they said "it is not the same country they left in 1982"

I still have family in the UK and they do not seem to be affected or disturbed by what apparently is happening to the UK if you read any newspaper or watch TV news. I think there have been more severe changes to the country in the main cities and towns rather than in rural areas - my family lives in Norfolk.

To comment on one issue: Why do we have to pay for a licence to watch TV?

The licence is around 125 GBP per annum I believe and that's it apart from if you want premium sports channels.

I'm paying nearly a $100 per month for cable - try not paying for cable or Dish or Direct TV and see what you get. Why do some Brits think that they should not pay for the programs they watch?
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:55 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Just to give a bit of background (and following on from SanDiegogirl's post) here is where the OP was asked to share his experiences:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/back-.../#post11404392
Old Sep 16th 2014, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I think his wife typed the message-which is why you guys are thinking OP is American after saying he is British before. He is the British one, his wife is US. (reading and inferring from the thread Sue linked).

I agree with those saying that he must live in squalor. That doesn't sound typical of UK.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
He is now also a born and bred American but, not so long ago, he was a returning expat.

He is also now married but was divorced in previous posts?

Something not quite right here
The bottom of his post states that these are his wife's views (and he fully concurs with her). His profile states that he is a Brit who moved to the US in 1982, lived there for 30 years and moved back to the UK 2 years ago.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 1:27 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I think that London1947 are posting as a husband and wife team.

So. The opening post is from the wife. Other posts may have been from the husband.

From what I can make out. The husband is British, maybe not from the South West of England. He moved to the US 30 yrs ago, perhaps with a British first wife. He divorced and re-married an American. They moved recently from the USA to SW England and one or both are finding it extremely hard to settle.

London1947 - If you are posting as a husband and wife team, it may be better for you to have two individual accounts. It would avoid confusion and it would also give some context to certain statements and content of your posts.
I will alert BE admin to this suggestion should you wish to go ahead.

Thank you.

ps: I'm from the South West of England. Born and bred. Many of my family and friends live there still.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 1:29 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I've read the link. Context is everything. I apologise for my sarcastic comments at the end. Although your points still come across as the worst Daily Fail articles honestly. I think maybe you have moved to a bad area? Perhaps moving would help. I can't honestly say I related to any of your comments so maybe I lived somewhere nice... The general governmental comments- well who doesn't have a gripe about the politics in their country...
Old Sep 16th 2014, 2:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Because most of us would rather pay a small amount for quality programming without adverts every five minutes.
Sorry but that bit made me chuckle. The days of quality programming anywhere in the world are long gone. Imo obviously.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 2:30 am
`

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Sorry but that bit made me chuckle. The days of quality programming anywhere in the world are long gone. Imo obviously.
Ad free Dr Who .
Old Sep 16th 2014, 2:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Ad free Dr Who .
Ok so apart from Doctor Who, what 'quality' have the BBC given us (recently)
Old Sep 16th 2014, 3:39 am
`

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Ok so apart from Doctor Who, what 'quality' have the BBC given us (recently)
Cheater.
You know I can't do recently, living the past decade in New Zealand.

*fumbles around BBC iplayer*
Peaky Blinders? No spoilers please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.